Author Topic: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic  (Read 104722 times)

Offline Caelestor

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Chronology Synchronizer
Re: Why the Amazing Race has lost its magic
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:25 PM »
I have a feeling that the producers WANT to see the teams complete all the tasks so they have more footage + drama.

Personally, I think that FFs should be completely done away (the producers might have done so already) and every team given an Express Pass at the start. The Express Pass is far more useful imo because more strategy is involved; you can utilize it whenever you want. There could possibly be ways to earn additional Express Passes as well (perhaps an extension of a general task or by getting to the pitstop first enough times).

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2010, 11:02:07 PM »
If the Fast Forward has been retired, then, even though I think that the Express Pass is another bad idea from production, I agree that every team should get an Express Pass at the starting line.
--------------------

There have been a lot of ideas thrown around about what went wrong with the show, but Phil described what made the show great in the TAR 1 theme:
It's the most daring competition ever attempted.

Eleven two-person teams bound by friendship, love or family will race around the world.

They have no idea where they're going, what dangers they may encounter or how the journey will affect their lives.

Most of the teams will be eliminated, but the team that reaches the finish line first will win a cash prize of one million dollars.

This is a race like no other in history.

This is The Amazing Race.

It's even more powerful when I listen to it.

Bad teams, bad tasks, and bad locations are just superficial problems with the show.

The fundamental problems with the show now are that it's no longer daring and that danger is virtually non-existent now.

I'll use my two favorite sequences in the history of the show as examples.

• TAR2: Hong Kong to Sydney--Five teams remain.  Four finish the detour and head straight to the Hong Kong airport.  Another goes to a travel agent, decides to go shopping, and still ends up finishing in first place in Sydney.

• TAR7: South Africa to Botswana--Brian & Greg flip and crash their vehicle, injuring a cameraman.  After getting a replacement vehicle and getting to the Detour, Brian & Greg see teams still at the Detour.  Brian & Greg hustle, finish their Detour, and see that Ray & Deana are just leaving.  Brian & Greg jump in their vehicle and scramble to catch up.  As Ray & Deana park their vehicle, Brian & Greg drive right by their door.  Both teams jump out and run for their lives.  Brian & Greg hit the mat completely winded, and the rest is (Emmy) history.

The problem that I have with every post-TAR7 season, except for TAR14, is that it seems to me like production has scrubbed the element of danger/daring/risk/unpredictability from the show by either not putting teams in situations conducive to it or casting teams that are risk averse.  Whether production was lucky or good, TAR7 had a female racer daring enough to shave her head for a Fast Forward, an older racer getting a bloody head injury looking for a clue in a cave, and a team of mactor brothers responsible for one of the most thrilling sequences in television history.

Even if the casts from TAR15, TAR16, and likely even TAR17, re-ran the entire TAR7 course, with or without the current rules, I doubt that any of them would be able to produce even one moment as special or magical as those by the TAR7 cast.  If the recent casts were put in the same situation as Oswald & Danny in Hong Kong, there would be no shopping; they'd all head straight to the airport.

Like with every season, I'll give TAR17 a chance, but someone getting hit in the face with a watermelon is something that belongs on "America's Funniest Home Videos" and not "the most daring competition ever attempted."

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
Yikes

Slayton, while the two moments you picked are great moments one was a team thinking outside the box (not as a way to shop but as a means to pass the other teams, they just needed something to pass the down time waiting when they went shopping). 

Season 7 was simply a foot race where a team came from behind to beat another team (that still to this day happens), it just usually doesn't occur after a team is driving so recklessly that they cause an accident that injury's a cameraman.  And lets be clear others racers have been in a hurry and caused accidents luckily done of them have caused injury.

Since those seasons we have had teams use travel agents (even those from hotels) to get ahead, we have seen teams use their down time to recharge.  We have seen take risk driving out into the desert to gain a chance at first place (dumbest move that strong team ever made), we have seen teams take huge, huge flight risks (both in causing their elimination and in causing them great leads).

We have seen more teams push themselves into requiring medical assistance then we ever did before.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2010, 12:47:04 PM »
On the Fast Forward and the Express Pass.

As long as multiple Fast Forwards are no longer a part of the race (and they were last available on all but the final leg what season 4) they are useless.

And I liked how they used to do the Fast Forward, something you could only do once, but you weren't just given one you had to earn it.  I hate just giving teams an advantage.

Thats why I am very much against just giving each team an express pass (make them earn it).

My favorite racing team is Eric & Jeremy.  What I loved about this team is their drive to always come in first.  I mean look at the legs they didn't come it first (except for the leg that another team used a Fast Forward) they were always exceptionally hard on themselves.  If they had to run from every point A to Point B then they ran.  I like that. I like teams (and you don't have to win to do this) that push themselves all the time throughout the full race.  We rarely (and this goes to the very first season) have teams that will go all out all the time (well most of the time).

So in that spirit I would love to see the Express Pass rewarded every leg (up to a certain leg say 6th or 7th) to which ever team comes in first.  But keep it as something that can only be used once.  That pushes all teams to always push themselves.  Keeps teams who think they might need an advantage down the road to push for first, and pushes teams that already are doing great to keep other teams from gaining an advantage.

I would much, much rather see competition for something like this then the stupid U-Turn Yields.  Still can't fully express how much I hate teams being able to hinder other teams (when at all other times its against the rules).

Offline slayton

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2010, 06:36:35 PM »
Thanks for responding, mswood.

Just to clarify, when I'm talking about teams being daring or putting themselves in danger, I'm referring to teams that are willing to make personal sacrifices that have real life consequences in order to stay in the race, like Uchenna & Joyce with the head-shaving, and teams like Brian & Greg who go, "To hell with safety.  This is a race."

With the way the race is constructed now, and especially after doing things their own way happened to spectacularly blow up in both Tammy & Victor's and Brad & Victoria's faces in TAR14 Leg 3, I don't expect teams to take chances with flights because the upside is small and the downside is huge.  I also don't expect production to allow sleep-deprived teams to drive themselves much anymore for insurance reasons.

If production now avoids casting potentially reckless teams in order to minimize insurance and other costs, then I'd prefer them doing what the TAR: Asia 3 producers did to their teams in their killer Leg 2.

I'm not trying to be sadistic when I say that moments like Margie collapsing at the mat in TAR14 are special moments.  Production already dumped ESM; from some of the TAR14 interviews, they seem to be stirring the pot and starving racers also. 

I don't understand why production doesn't seem to be willing to go all the way and try to completely break every team's mental and physical will.  I'm not talking about a Mika & Canaan, Maria & Tiffany, or Joe & Heidi type of breakdown.  I'm talking about a quasi-post-traumatic stress disorder state, like the TAR14 finale, where the final 3 teams were all in tears.

The new races will never be like the old races, but I think the show will be back on track if production makes the race an experience where all the losing teams are either psychologically damaged or carried off the race on a stretcher.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #305 on: October 03, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
Slayton

Brian & Greg simply lost control over their vehicle it wasn't I don't care if we wreck choice.  Teams still do this, it s just with a shorter production schedule it really limits the amount of time teams are now driving.

As for Uchenna & Joyce shaving their heads.  The race has only two tasks that would have a long term impact on the appearance of a team (the same task) and always done as an optional task.  One team did it and in season 5 one team didn't).  The only permanent change the race as ever had was in season 12 with the tattoo that Nicolas and Don got.

Seasons 10 and 12 also featured extremely rare long distance driving at night.  Something even in the earlier years producers rarely let teams do.

The producers haven't lowered the number of racers who are brash or willing to take risks.  I see nothing that points to that.  They may have cut back on the number of tasks where racers have more direct control to behave recklessly (and that I would agree with), but teams still react rashly.  Last season was really the only season where I felt teams didn't have (as a whole) a lot of drive (some teams yes but as a whole).  And just look at the teams pushing their cabs this week, or dodging the traffic with their coffins and you see a lot more daring then a good portion of last year.

But even in the first 7 seasons you saw some cast that were more balls to the wall and some that were a little more laid back.  They never know how teams will react until they start racing.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #306 on: October 05, 2010, 09:14:58 AM »
Okay, TAR producers needs to stop bringing in new elements into this race. Sure it's exciting, but what the hell, we're loyal fans and we don't need a new twist every season.

The Switchback in TAR 15 was great but what the hell, just one season?! I want to see teams eat caviar, ostrich egg and pull the ox again!

What about the Intersection? It was done in Season 10, and it was really a good twist.. why did some season have them, then some season no?

I like the U-TURN better than the Yield, so i have no complains about that.

I still want the Fast Forward.. but MORE FAST FORWARD please! And not just one in every race.. which the first team will definitely get it?!?!! :groan:

The Speedbump is actually kinda creative, but it needs to be a creative task.. really!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #307 on: October 06, 2010, 04:05:29 AM »
Okay, TAR producers needs to stop bringing in new elements into this race. Sure it's exciting, but what the hell, we're loyal fans and we don't need a new twist every season.

The Switchback in TAR 15 was great but what the hell, just one season?! I want to see teams eat caviar, ostrich egg and pull the ox again!

What about the Intersection? It was done in Season 10, and it was really a good twist.. why did some season have them, then some season no?

I still want the Fast Forward.. but MORE FAST FORWARD please! And not just one in every race.. which the first team will definitely get it?!?!! :groan:

The Speedbump is actually kinda creative, but it needs to be a creative task.. really!
So do you expect a Season to have U-Turns, lots of Fast Forwards, Intersections and whatnots at the same time?

I'd rather have few and different twists every once in a while, like the Double roadblock in S16. Who's to say the Switchback won't come back? We all thought the Intersection was dead, but it came back at the perfect moment to shock the audience.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #308 on: October 06, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »

So do you expect a Season to have U-Turns, lots of Fast Forwards, Intersections and whatnots at the same time?

I'd rather have few and different twists every once in a while, like the Double roadblock in S16. Who's to say the Switchback won't come back? We all thought the Intersection was dead, but it came back at the perfect moment to shock the audience.

So which part of the message above explicitly pointed out i wanted a season to have loads of "U-TURNs, lots of FF, Intersections and whatnots at the same time"?

A season with 2 FF, 2 U-TURNs, 1 intersection and 1 Switchback, confusing much? No, i believe.

And which part of my message mentioned that "the Switchback won't come back"?

:res:

Offline Mug Costanza

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #309 on: October 06, 2010, 02:44:38 PM »
Honestly, I do think they should increase the appearances of all these new(ish) twists. A perfect race for me would be 4 FF's, 4 U-Turns, and 2 Intersections (one with 10 teams left, one with 6). If the purpose of the U-Turn and the FF are to be used strategically, then give us enough to actually be used strategically! Ever since Season 12, almost every time, the first team that opens the clue giving them the option of the Fast Forward usually goes for it, whether they need it or not. There's no need to not go for it because there won't be any more for the rest of the game (in other words, teams can't pass on it and say "We'll save it for later" if there's no FF later!). Either add more Fast Forwards, or get rid of it altogether and give teams more chances to win the Express Pass. (Maybe have an overnight rest on Leg 1 like was common in the past and give the first four teams that arrive there the Express Pass.)
"I defy you to come up with a better name than Seven!"
"Alright... how 'bout Mug? Mug Costanza!"

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »

So which part of the message above explicitly pointed out i wanted a season to have loads of "U-TURNs, lots of FF, Intersections and whatnots at the same time"?

A season with 2 FF, 2 U-TURNs, 1 intersection and 1 Switchback, confusing much? No, i believe.

And they fight again. :lol:

I agree with Dan though (sorry Joab  :ascared). I don't want to see a Switchback occurring almost every (or every after) season. The reason why? It might become boring and unexciting and overused.

And the return of the Intersection too shocked me during S16! I don't mind seeing it every race, though. :lol: But for the Switchback, I guess it would be best to save them, because they are infamous memories in the race, its come back must be superbly shocking and not expected.

As for the FF and U-Turns, more please! :lol: I want to see the Yield back too (and that might shock us again!)
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #311 on: October 07, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »

And they fight again. :lol:

I agree with Dan though (sorry Joab  :ascared). I don't want to see a Switchback occurring almost every (or every after) season. The reason why? It might become boring and unexciting and overused.

And the return of the Intersection too shocked me during S16! I don't mind seeing it every race, though. :lol: But for the Switchback, I guess it would be best to save them, because they are infamous memories in the race, its come back must be superbly shocking and not expected.

As for the FF and U-Turns, more please! :lol: I want to see the Yield back too (and that might shock us again!)

Also, again, i didn't explicitly said that i wanted a Switchback every season. What i meant more was that it should not be a one time stint.