Author Topic: Hell's Kitchen Season 6  (Read 79979 times)

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
Re: Hell's Kitchen Season 6
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
Practices used on BigBother do not apply to the real world. However, bringing back Ji would be appropriate and I would like to see it (although it looks like it won't happen in HK6). Her skills were obvious quickly and that in my opinion earned her a second try after her unfortunate injury.

I agree.  I was distinctly unhappy when Ji had to leave, partly because I've got a soft spot for Asian Americans, partly because I knew she was talented and Colleen and Lacey weren't.  Incidentally, I'm on the Reality TV World boards, and when Ji left they made a sigpic for me which I used on the Hell's Kitchen subforum.  It had a picture of Ji and the words, "Sometimes life just isn't FAIR!" -- that was the way I felt when Ji left, and I suggested those words.  I hope Ji returns in HK7 or HK8.

Belle Book

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Practices used on BigBother do not apply to the real world. However, bringing back Ji would be appropriate and I would like to see it (although it looks like it won't happen in HK6). Her skills were obvious quickly and that in my opinion earned her a second try after her unfortunate injury.

It was devastating when she left, it totally changed the season. I really hope he does bring her back at some point. Not going to happen this season but hopefully in the future!
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2009, 08:58:54 PM »
The latest from FOX network on the premier episode(I am missing a good class at church to see it, so I hope it is particularly good):

It's going to be red-hot! They're turning up the heat on food and wine pairing as Chef Ramsay matches his favorite recipes with delectable Rosemount Estate wines.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2009, 10:41:51 AM »
The latest from FOX network on the premier episode(I am missing a good class at church to see it, so I hope it is particularly good):

It's going to be red-hot! They're turning up the heat on food and wine pairing as Chef Ramsay matches his favorite recipes with delectable Rosemount Estate wines.

We don't have long to wait either!!!  :wohoo:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2009, 08:31:34 AM »
Almost one week later, HK6 is ready to kick off tonight at 8pm special 2 hour iinitial episode) on FOX. 17 new chefs plus one partially discredited (for displays of his legendary temper to the press) Gordon Ramsay as the major domo. We'll have to assess teh chefs to see who might have teh right stuff. Each season I attempt to predict the final 4 or so using just the position title of the chef.

The executive chefs in HK6 are:

Andy
Dave
Kevin
Tenille

In addition, Louie is a diner owner and Sabrina is a restaurant manager. I predict the winner of HK6 will be one of these 6.

to replay the application of that technique for HK5, I predicted that these executive chefs would do particularly well:

Ben
Danny
Giovanni
Paula

Clearly, they did do well with all in the top 6.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:56:20 AM by apskip »

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »
Thanks for the reminder apskip!!!!!!  

:wohoo: :jumpy: :hearts: :hearts: :jumpy: :wohoo:

OHHHHHHHHHHH!! Just checked, it's a two hour show and my DVR had already picked it up and set to record! (Just in case.)

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 10:57:27 AM »
No, thank you, Texas Lady. I was thinking 9pm and one hour episode. 8pm tow hour episode is correct this week only.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »

Hell's Kitchen's Gordon Ramsay Promises Big Food, Bigger Attitudes
    * Jul 21, 2009 02:22 PM ET
    * by Adam Bryant

Hot flames and high tempers are nothing new on Hell's Kitchen. But this season, it's not just Gordon Ramsay who is turning up the heat.

The sixth-season premiere of the Fox series (Tuesday at 8/7 CT) features a crop of 16 aspiring chefs, and a handful of them don't show any sign of intimidation. In fact, one contestant whose attitude is more pro wrestler than gourmet chef even asks Ramsay if he'd like to step outside to handle their disagreement.

See Ramsay and more of reality TV's biggest villains

Ramsay said he encourages that kind of confidence, as long as the culinary skills back it up.

"When you have the arrogance and you can't cook, then you're only going to look stupid," he said. "I suppose they've watched the show and they think they want to come in with bravado, but I always say [to] let your food do the talking."

The cook whose food talks the loudest this season will earn $250,000 and a job as head chef at the Araxi Restaurant in Whistler, British Columbia. Since all of the produce used by Araxi is grown within 100 miles of the restaurant, Ramsay deems it a unique place for any chef to hone his or her craft.

Check out the biggest guilty pleasure reality shows

"That's a dream come true for any chef," he said. "[It's great] for a young winner to be in that position and to learn and respect what it's like to use things only when they're available, as opposed to have a fascination with fresh ingredients that can be obtained from all around the world."

Another added bonus to the Araxi job: Whistler will host the 2010 Winter Olympics.

With such a prize on the line, Ramsay said he has raised the bar at Hell's Kitchen. And despite the bevy of boneheaded moves made by the cooks in the premiere, Ramsay promises that the overall skill level "is far greater" this time around.

See photos from past seasons of Hell's Kitchen

"We've been a lot more creative in terms of the challenges, and entered in a few twists and turns that are completely different [this season]," he said. "This year is going to be very interesting."

Will you be watching Hell's Kitchen this season?

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=131270995557&h=5SZa_&u=v9V-x&ref=nf

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 06:26:07 PM »
I watched the first 2 episodes of HK6 last night. There are rumors that this cast has the most skills of any HK cast ever. I must admit that I did not observe that. Their first-night perfcormance was ludicrous. What the Blue team does have is high testosterone. We were treated to what looked like a fake staged confrontation between Jean- Pierre and Van, then a serious one with Joseph challenging Gordon Ramsay to a brawl in the parking lot. There are not the type of challenges that make Hell's Kitchen worth watching! The ToBeContinued happened before there was any closure on the brawl. I have to guess that Joseph either figures out or is told by other Blue team members that beating up Gordon Ramsay is not the way to a $250,000 salary. Not that Joseph would ever be considered real potential for it, because he wouldn't. Van might but he is not going to lasty long in HK6.

I am going to classify the members of each team into losers, don't know, and winners:

RED
Losers - Melinda, Lovely, Amanda
Don't Know - Suzanne, Sabrina, Ariel, Robert
Winners(it is too soon to really tell so this is my best guess) - Tek, Tennille

It would be nice to put Robert in the winner's circle, but he just doesn't deserve it. He may last a long time, but he will not win HK6.

BLUE
Losers - Louis(already gone), Joseph and Van (note- Joseph and Van are too stupid to understand kitchen hierarchy even though they may have undiscovered skills)
Don't Know - Andy, Dave, Tony, Jim, Kevin
Winners - it's too soon to rate any here

This is a bit premature, but after they clear out their weak performers the RED team should allow multiple from the Don't Know category to blossom into Winners. For the BLUE I expect the same process with fewer total entries in the Winners category. We'll see.

The singature dish challenge can't be beat any time. I hate to mention this, but it's just like how Top Chef, a vastly superior food show, would do it. The shrimp cleaning challenge is also one worthy of being on Top Chef, the ultimate standard. I found the "cook your signature dish" classic and any chef not ready for that at the beginning is a fool. The shrimp cleaning challenge in ep. 2 was also a good one. I loved seeing pounds of shrimp fall out of the ceiling and (mostly) in the vat on the table.

I think there is too much staged B.S. for this show to be ultimately a total success. In episode 2 there was the Van vs. JP incident and the "pregnant woman gets questionable shrimp" appeared to be equally phony. I will continue to watch Hell's Kitchen because it's fun to write about, but I might not if writing were not an issue.

Offline RHR

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »
This is a bit premature, but after they clear out their weak performers the RED team should allow multiple from the Don't Know category to blossom into Winners. For the BLUE I expect the same process with fewer total entries in the Winners category. We'll see.
The problem is that it'll take until we get down to the final two before we've ridded the group of the weak performers. In Season 4 you could see any of the top four winning (even the bitch), whereas this past Season the final four was a joke and we all knew it was going to be Danny and Paula in the end. Last Season downgraded the overall talent, and from the first look at this new group I see the trend of "more drama, less talent" continuing.

And I agree, the staged crap needs to just stop.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 09:22:44 PM »
I watched the first 2 episodes of HK6 last night. There are rumors that this cast has the most skills of any HK cast ever. I must admit that I did not observe that. Their first-night perfcormance was ludicrous. What the Blue team does have is high testosterone. We were treated to what looked like a fake staged confrontation between Jean- Pierre and Van, then a serious one with Joseph challenging Gordon Ramsay to a brawl in the parking lot. There are not the type of challenges that make Hell's Kitchen worth watching! The ToBeContinued happened before there was any closure on the brawl. I have to guess that Joseph either figures out or is told by other Blue team members that beating up Gordon Ramsay is not the way to a $250,000 salary. Not that Joseph would ever be considered real potential for it, because he wouldn't. Van might but he is not going to lasty long in HK6.

I am going to classify the members of each team into losers, don't know, and winners:

RED
Losers - Melinda, Lovely, Amanda
Don't Know - Suzanne, Sabrina, Ariel, Robert
Winners(it is too soon to really tell so this is my best guess) - Tek, Tennille

It would be nice to put Robert in the winner's circle, but he just doesn't deserve it. He may last a long time, but he will not win HK6.

BLUE
Losers - Louis(already gone), Joseph and Van (note- Joseph and Van are too stupid to understand kitchen hierarchy even though they may have undiscovered skills)
Don't Know - Andy, Dave, Tony, Jim, Kevin
Winners - it's too soon to rate any here

The singature dish challenge can't be beat any time. I hate to mention this, but it's just like how Top Chef, a vastly superior food show, would do it. The shrimp cleaning challenge is also one worthy of being on Top Chef, the ultimate standard. I found the "cook your signature dish" classic and any chef not ready for that at the beginning is a fool. The shrimp cleaning challenge in ep. 2 was also a good one. I loved seeing pounds of shrimp fall out of the ceiling and (mostly) in the vat on the table.

I think there is too much staged B.S. for this show to be ultimately a total success. In episode 2 there was the Van vs. JP incident and the "pregnant woman gets questionable shrimp" appeared to be equally phony. I will continue to watch Hell's Kitchen because it's fun to write about, but I might not if writing were not an issue.

Actually, I'd put Tennille in the Don't Know category and maybe Ariel in the Winners one.  Other than that, I agree with you.

Belle Book

Offline KitKat

• RFF's Kitty Kat
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 08:59:59 AM »
I loved it. This season of Hell's Kitchen is going to be awesome!
delightful just delightful

Offline Queenycastle

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
I just can't get over Joseph wanting to fight Gordon!  Thats just insane!  WOW.   :meow:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
The fact that Joseph does not understand how insane that is is incredible. He's all caught up in his macho persona and has missed the fact that the head chef totally controls the lives of everyone in that kitchen. If you don't like it you get out, but you cannot fight it.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2009, 11:33:14 AM »
Joseph must not have ever watched HK. Ramsay asks people to give the names and reasons for the people chosen to be eliminated for a reason. It's a process by which I believe he sees who is a leader and who isn't. Joseph failed miserably.

I must say we are off with a bang this season! I don't like the staged events either. Just let the show proceed!

Offline EnduranceRealityFan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2009, 03:27:51 PM »
I'm new here but I have a poiler on who the final 11 chefs are based on the preview at the beginning of the first episode. pm me or send me a message if you want to know who they are or even just one specific person.

I think Joseph is an act though. I'm rooting for Kevin and Ariel

Ji was better than Robert why is he back?

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »
I'm new here but I have a poiler on who the final 11 chefs are based on the preview at the beginning of the first episode. pm me or send me a message if you want to know who they are or even just one specific person.

I think Joseph is an act though. I'm rooting for Kevin and Ariel

Ji was better than Robert why is he back?

Welcome to the HK thread and to RFF EnduranceRealityFan! It wouldn't bother me for you to post your spoiler. (I'll let others chime in as well.) Now I'll have to review that first preview!  :tup:

:welcome3:

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 04:54:21 PM »
Reminder!! Hell's Kitchen is on again tonight!! 8PM EDT/7PM CDT

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2009, 07:59:50 PM »
I'm no ones bitch!  :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »
spoiler >> highlight >> Joseph was kicked out for being bitchy .. Tony was eliminated and the blue were spared after they lost to the girls due to Joe's exit. Oh and Robert is now on the blue team seeing as they were 2 men down.   

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:17 AM »
HK6, ep. 3

Those of you following Ep. 2 know that it ended with a "cliff-hanger" due to Joseph being about as insulting as could possibly happen to Gordon Ramsay. There were security personnel prominent on camera as their verbal battle finished. Ramsay said that Joseph wanted this to be "up close and personal" but that was not appropriate. He told Joseph that he "had no respect" (wow, is that true) and "now get out." Jim says that Joseph got totally out of control and that he was glad to be there with a "front row seat."

Joseph is rightly sent packing. Then Ramsay asks Kevin for the nominations and why. Kevin responds that Tony is nominated for his consistent bungling on the meat station and Andy is also nominated for his "chicken nuggets" problem. Tony rightly gets eliminated, but the imbalance in the teams causes Robert to shift to the Blue team. Somebody on Blue comments that this is a win for the Blue team.

At 205am. Scott and Heather wake and then direct all cheftestants to exit the building immediately. This is Ramsay's idea of fun and games. He wakes them so that a group of firefighters (or more likely based on the behavior I saw FOX extras playing firefighters based on the portrayals of them in several TV shows and movies) can be fed and the chefs will theoretically learn preparation and teamwork from them. This Challenge is first team to finish serving all firefighters wins. Now, what do we know from the history of all past challenges? The Red team always wins if personal services are the reward. It turns out that the reward is a helicopter trip to a spa, although we only know that after the fact. Anybody can clearly see that the challenge is deliberately stage managed so Red wins. The Blue team has initial problems with garlic bread which must be served before any food can be. Red stays ahead on the pasta and chicken as Blue teamwork and individual performance shortcomings allowed the Red team to finish first and win the reward. The men got to clean the firetrucks. While doing so, Dave's hand was injured and heading back inside Kevin injures both ankles. The get first medic and then ER attention. Kevin gets a boot for one ankle and an air cast on the other one. Dave gets a splint for his wrist. Both elect to continue when Ramsay asks them.

Service is about to start and Ramsay nominates Lovely for the dining room position. Dave volunteers so he isn't a burden to those in the kitchen. Ramsay has all repeat the mantra "We must complete this dinner service."

Robert comments that Van is like a pit bull. Van has the appetizer station and starts Blue off with a risotto Ramsay calls delicious. Tennille is having her problems with cooking scallops. She does not know the proper technique, which uses a small amount of olive oil. Ariel is trying to help her but Tennille pushes on with it, only to discover that Ramsay rates here scallops as unservable as a result of the cooking technique. On the Blue team, Andy is trying to cook scallops with 14 in a small pan. Robert tells him to move half to a second pan. Lovely takes 45 minutes to get the first order into the system, as she was asked by Jean-Pierre to find a special bottle of wine and she was incrediably inefficient. Amanda brings 8 lamb entree plates out when the correct number is 9. Ramsay runs her through a simple multiplication test (which she fails not once but again at the end of this episode). Ramsay also asks the Red team if there is better lamb available than what has been plated. I did not see a specific resolution to this, but it must have been solved by the Red team. Ramsay sees Ariel as emerging as a leader of the Red team. Robert had a 12 minute delay for salmon, which allowed Red to finish first. However, speed of finish was not as important as the feedback from comment cards. Red's dishes were rated 81% above average and Blue's 83%. Ramsay awarded victory to Blue.

Ariel is asked to nominate the 3 weakest member of her team. She picks Lovely, who is an obvious choice for her inexperience, and Tennille for her screwups and lack of teamwork. Ramsay says that he doesn't think either of those 2 is going to win (which tells you that they won't be eliminated) and then that they are both safe. He used the room created by the elimination of Joseph as the end of Ep. 2 to allow both to stay. Lovely and Tennille both got a reprieve that neither of them deserved. I wanted to have Ramsay tell me he was bringing back Chef Ji into that spot. Then, to mock Joseph by using his stunning line to finish the evening, Ramsay states that he "is nobody's bitch".

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:00:58 AM by apskip »

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »
So next week (spoiler in text) Dave quits due to his injury and Lovely more than likely gets eliminated at the ceremony which leaves us with the final 11
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:34:10 PM by puddin »

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 12:16:35 PM »
sorry about that last one I haven't figured out how to get the print white so I'll just give you all a spoiler tag. If you want actual names then just pm me

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILERS

One chef can't handle the competition anymore

while either the same week or next things don't turn out quite so lovely
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:34:47 PM by puddin »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »
endangered reality fan, don't be sorry because you did the spoiler tag correctly in post #71. You do know how to do it. It was post #72 that was mush.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
Thanks ERF for the spoiler.

Dave's hand was injured and heading back inside Kevin injures both ankles. The get first medic and then ER attention. Kevin gets a boot for one ankle and an air cast on the other one. Dave gets a splint for his wrist. Both elect to continue when Ramsay asks them.

This made me angry last night. I wish they would stop with the punishment stuff, especially with the chance of someone getting injured. I wish they would slow down the urgency to get everything done. I can see one team prepping but washing the firetrucks was over the top. Same way as in other years when they had to unload a truck and Heather had to carry heavy boxes. Or when they had to carry bags of ice in.