Author Topic: TAR14 EP7: 'Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???' (Phuket, Thailand)  (Read 133815 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: TAR14 EP7: 'Gorilla? Gorilla?? Gorilla???' (Phuket, Thailand)
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »
I was able to use the MapJack images to construct the shadow cast by the Tsunami warning speakers.  It ends at the white arrow painted on the street and under the truck tire in the MapJack image below.

This shot was taken between 10:10 and 10:30 am (assumes November 15th).

"It's bloody PATONG."

So this had to have had something to do with the Roadblock.  I haven't seen the epi yet.

okay .. Mel and Mike went to Patong looking for the gorilla and spent a lot of time asking locals and even when a local said "Phuket zoo" they were like no its here  :umn:  :groan:

We had no Roadblock or any sign for one!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
It's going to be sad putting up Elimination Station tonight. I hoped Mel & Mike would survive for a while.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2009, 09:32:56 PM »
tampering with the rickshaw tools and hiring a taxi to take them to the clue box :naughty:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2009, 09:41:40 PM »
better late than never Chateau

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2009, 09:45:21 PM »
wow almost an hour lead they had

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: March 29, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »
Mike & Mark rocked the task and didn't need to tamper with the pumps or ask the taxi driver. I think the clue stated they couldn't ask for help because Tammy & Victor, if you noticed, said told their driver they could not accept any.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #281 on: March 29, 2009, 09:51:06 PM »
Lukes watch!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 09:56:42 PM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #282 on: March 29, 2009, 09:54:42 PM »
I can't read it because of the watermark!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #283 on: March 29, 2009, 09:55:32 PM »
I know that Chateau is a master of light, shadow, and time, but in this case we have a problem.  He listed the teams arriving in order from the pictures CBS released of the teams at the pitstop.  He has the team of Mark and Michael in third place, but upon careful analysis frame by frame of both their first time they arrived and received the penulty of 60 minutes and when they finally checked in 60 minutes later, there is an absolute positive match to the picture Chateau used placing all the teams at the pitstop check in between 11:48AM and 12:19PM to their first arrival 56 minutes before the others.  So this picture of Mark and Michael actually was 56 minutes earlier or around 11:00AM.  If the shadows were read correctly, then this picture used in the previews of M/M would place them in the first position not third.

And the question of a penulty for having a taxi lead the way.  Unless it was specically stated in the extended writen instructions which we never get to hear or see, it is not the first time that teams have asked taxies to lead them to a particular spot.  Happens all the time and even previously in TAR14.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #284 on: March 29, 2009, 09:55:47 PM »
I can't read it because of the watermark!

FIXED! Sorry about that.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #285 on: March 29, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »
the Sisters brought to the wrong Wat

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #286 on: March 29, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »
 :'(   :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche :torche

Offline CABoSoxFan

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #287 on: March 29, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
I will bow down to CABoSoxFan for catching that and being a fellow Red Sox fan.  :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

:yess:

Darn it...I should have edited my reasoning too because I suspected Mel/Mike would come in last.

Offline FLFan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »
Mike & Mark rocked the task and didn't need to tamper with the pumps or ask the taxi driver. I think the clue stated they couldn't ask for help because Tammy & Victor, if you noticed, said told their driver they could not accept any.

Well, besides M/M being in good shape, I am going to assume that pulling a rickshaw with properly inflated tires is much easier than pulling one that needs some air in its tires.

Susan

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #289 on: March 29, 2009, 11:04:17 PM »
Another exciting episode with a weirdly-satisfying end result.  I was a bit surprised there was no Roadblock.  They could've made the tiger and elephant thing a Roadblock easily.  And as for the Detour, I can't tell which I'd have chosen.  Probably 100 Barrels since Mel & Mike found such an easy way to speed right through it.

Oh, and I'm quite happy that we have not one, but two women's teams in the F5!  First time this has happened since All-Stars!

Tammy & Victor: I'm a little surprised they won the leg, especially since I could've sworn they left something behind and weren't called on it.  But at least Victor didn't annoy me all that much this week.  Good move getting a local to draw them a map, though.  Other than that, I didn't see them stand out much this week.

Jaime & Cara: Okay, Jaime, you need to calm down with locals.  Seriously.  Your only redeeming qualities in this case is that you have Cara to keep you calm, and the fact that you both work together so cooperatively.  Minus the local thing, you are looking more like redheaded versions of the BQs.  Congrats on your highest finish so far.  And I'm glad my earlier panic about the survival of these two turned out to be unwarranted! :yess:  That said . . . anyone upset at Jaime this week?

Mark & Michael: You did well on the tasks, but sabotaging the Detour like that was just not cool at all.  And didn't you read the part of the clue saying you couldn't hire a guide?!  You deserved the penalties.  Both of them.  And the loss of first place, as well.

Margie & Luke: Not much seen of you this week, but good call switching Detours quickly when you knew you wouldn't find the one you first chose.  I'm glad Margie's all right, though.  She had me worried for a moment.

Kisha & Jen: Close call, girls.  I think whatever lead you had was just good enough to keep you in front of Mel & Mike.  Sorry about the bad break with your cab, though.  Well, both of them -- both before and after the Detour.

Mel & Mike: I liked you guys, but this was a well-earned elimination.  While your driver was somewhat to blame, you two were just as culpable for not getting out of your cab and/or asking for help with the gorilla picture sooner.  You should've done that, and Kisha & Jen would be gone.  That said, I'm happy enough to see you go just because of Mel's sad-sack moments whenever things go wrong for you.

So, after seven episodes:

LOVE: Tammy, Jaime/Cara, Margie/Luke, Kisha/Jen
LIKE: Victor, Mark/Michael
NEUTRAL: No one
DISLIKE: No one
HATE: No one

Victor's still under "like," but he could get back to "love."  Mark & Michael, OTOH, are close to "neutral."  I'll base whether or not they get down there on the severity of their upcoming mistake.

This season is just getting better and better.  I can't believe we have to wait two more weeks to see what happens next!  Damn CBS for the country music thing!
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #290 on: March 29, 2009, 11:13:47 PM »
I know that Chateau is a master of light, shadow, and time, but in this case we have a problem.  He listed the teams arriving in order from the pictures CBS released of the teams at the pitstop.  He has the team of Mark and Michael in third place, but upon careful analysis frame by frame of both their first time they arrived and received the penulty of 60 minutes and when they finally checked in 60 minutes later, there is an absolute positive match to the picture Chateau used placing all the teams at the pitstop check in between 11:48AM and 12:19PM to their first arrival 56 minutes before the others.  So this picture of Mark and Michael actually was 56 minutes earlier or around 11:00AM.  If the shadows were read correctly, then this picture used in the previews of M/M would place them in the first position not third.

And the question of a penulty for having a taxi lead the way.  Unless it was specically stated in the extended writen instructions which we never get to hear or see, it is not the first time that teams have asked taxies to lead them to a particular spot.  Happens all the time and even previously in TAR14.

Thanks Gman.  I think the editors were mixing the shots.  Here is the shot when they first try to check in and the plaque is shaded.

And here is the shot when they get the official check in.  The plaque now has lots of sun on it.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #291 on: March 30, 2009, 12:32:42 AM »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #292 on: March 30, 2009, 01:12:19 AM »
I was a little suprised at that too, Puddin. But then again, ES is so close. Its not like they have to fly them all the way back to Acapulco or Portugal. I guess they think they can get by with 2 decoy teams.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Moo

• Poster
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Japanese Woman FTW!
« Reply #293 on: March 30, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
Could there actually be no decoy teams this season? Guilin is rather near Thailand too, and probably the 5th placer actually be sent there too?   :tup:
Account is awaiting approval for deletion (approved)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #294 on: March 30, 2009, 01:45:33 AM »
Could there actually be no decoy teams this season? Guilin is rather near Thailand too, and probably the 5th placer actually be sent there too?   :tup:
No.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #295 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:26 AM »
Could there actually be no decoy teams this season? Guilin is rather near Thailand too, and probably the 5th placer actually be sent there too?   :tup:
No.
Again, something you sound so awfully sure of.

Still, I agree.  I think Mel & Mike were the last team to get sent to Elimination Station.  Kisha & Jen (let's face it -- they're not making the F3) and either Tammy & Victor or Mark & Michael will be calling in to let the other teams know they got booted.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #296 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:32 AM »

Well, besides M/M being in good shape, I am going to assume that pulling a rickshaw with properly inflated tires is much easier than pulling one that needs some air in its tires.

Susan

And when a local taxi driver is guiding you to the right location, it is easier/faster.  Plus we do not know how much of a lead they had after the drawer task.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #297 on: March 30, 2009, 09:34:27 AM »
Could there actually be no decoy teams this season? Guilin is rather near Thailand too, and probably the 5th placer actually be sent there too?   :tup:
I assume that we have a NEL in Bangkok so that the 5th place team is eliminated in Guangzhou. That would require some not-so-easy flights from Guilin to Guanzhou to Singapore or Bangkok and then Phuket. All for not having the 5th place team in the WRP entourage for 3 days. Why bother?  Both expediency and economics dictate that the 5th place team travel with the entourage.

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #298 on: March 30, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »
But wasn't there something in one of the interviews about Lakisha and/or Jen (at Elimination Station) making fun of Preston for needing a heavier bugee cord in the first roadblock?   :duno:

I can't find it now, so I must be mis-remembering. :lol:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #299 on: March 30, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »
That is correct. However, that may have been during a phone call. The 4th and 5th place teams place a call to Elimination Station instead of heading there, but with the next leg appearing to be in Thailand, perhaps Kisha & Jen head there as well. You never know.
Just here to visit.