Author Topic: Episode 5: East Coast live show updates and commentary  (Read 45172 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: Episode 5: East Coast live show updates and commentary
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
peach wins the PHIL FIGHT!! :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:55 PM »
Where's my avatar prize?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »

:funny:

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2009, 09:18:05 PM »
hi everyone - finally my mac book is working again (yes mac's do die sometimes)

wow phil in his undies lmao

kudos to christie in the thong and i'm glad margie and luke pulled out another win

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #129 on: March 15, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #130 on: March 15, 2009, 09:24:54 PM »
Hiya patlini!! Good to see you! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #131 on: March 15, 2009, 09:51:21 PM »
Round 1: puddin VS georgiapeach

She's dead meat, I'll just sit on the tadpole :funny:
Whos meat and whos tadpole are you sitting on peach!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #132 on: March 15, 2009, 09:54:08 PM »
bathing suit bottoms, all but Christie.  ;)

:thankyou: mswood, great job!!  :hearts:
Are you sure? Jens looked like underwear, Victoria Secrets I think .. and she said they were undies *love pink*

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #133 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:22 PM »
Hmmm...I was thinking she gave the undies a miss. :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #134 on: March 15, 2009, 10:09:26 PM »
No wonder Jen is cold all the time.
Matthew 7:15

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »

and you too   :kuss:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2009, 10:26:44 PM »

and you too   :kuss:
  :waves: pat! welcome back!  :jumpy:

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
Another exciting episode!  I loved it!  Just like I thought, with Amanda & Kris gone and only interesting teams left, this is a great race we have going for us!  So tense and action-packed!

Margie & Luke: A well-earned first-place finish!  I'm glad they rallied from getting ditched by their erstwhile allies, and I'm glad they did well at the Detour!  Luke really cleaned up at the Roadblock, and I'm happy they notched their second win!  It seems all they've done is finish first or fourth so far.

Tammy & Victor: Ladies and gentlemen, we have our villain (or villain team).  I understand their need to race on their own, and it's a good strategy, for the most part, to use others as long as you need them before then tossing them aside, but there was something about the way they went about ditching Margie & Luke and Jaime & Cara that sort of rubbed me the wrong way.  I don't know why, but it did.  That said, good job on both of their parts at the Detour and nice running from Tammy at the Roadblock (though that was more due to Cara walking rather than running).

Jaime & Cara: Highest finish ever, ladies!  Congratulations!  Jaime's panic over non-English-speaking snowplow guys made me cringe a bit, but she got it together and did well enough at the Detour with Cara.  I think they could've nailed second place had either Jaime done the Roadblock, or had Cara at least grasped the concept of RUNNING!  Especially in the cold!  Still, third place is not too shabby, so great job, girls!  (But I hope the preview of that cab driving away with whatever bag you're talking isn't a harbinger of doom for you.)

Mel & Mike: Not much of you guys this week, but you seemed to do a solid enough job with the Russian Bride Detour.  They did seem to get lost a lot, though.

Mark & Michael: Been awhile since they ran a good leg.  Good work on the Detour and nice job on Mark's part with the Roadblock.  But not much of them this week.

Kisha & Jen: If you come on TAR, ladies, always be prepared in case you have to drive stick at one point.  Looking at YOU, Jen!  That alone dropped them so far back (though getting lost a lot didn't help matters, nor did Kisha leading them away from where everyone else was getting cabs), they almost got last!  They'd better be thankful for Christie & Jodi's unreliable local guide.

Christie & Jodi: Certainly a tough week for you, girls.  You got lost quite a bit, found a local to help you with the Russian Bride Detour, had said local prove how unreliable he was by leading you to the wrong church entirely, and basically landed in last place because of it.  Because I blame that local more than I blame you two, I'm glad you got a reprieve.  But since you're going to India next week, I really hope you can overcome that Speed Bump.

The tasks were good, and I did love that the teams had to rely on their own wits in self-navigation.  That seemed to determine the placings on this leg.  Oh, and for the Detour, I'd have done Russian Snowplow.  As we saw with Russian Bride, that was definitely the harder one, due to the extra bit of self-navigation.

Great episode!  Can't wait for next week!

LOVE: Margie/Luke, Tammy/Victor, Jaime/Cara, Mel/Mike, Mark/Michael, Kisha/Jen, Christie/Jodi
LIKE: No one
NEUTRAL: No one
DISLIKE: No one
HATE: No one

Still only loves left!  Excellent season, excellent casting!
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2009, 07:19:34 AM »
WHAT??!! No times??  (:;)

I don't like the precedent either, but consider that team were all going to bunch minutes after pit stop release at the trian station. If you want to be mad about something, then why did AR14 producers make them wait nearly 10 hours for a train to Novosibirsk when there were about 6 trains in that time period? I think this is worth getting upset about.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:04 AM »
Boarding the train, Racers complain about "Siberian Hell."
Of course it's dark and snowy.
Sleeper cars!
Luke: I've never had an experience like this, having a bed on a train!
Kisha/Jen are tall so their feet hang off.   
DAWN.
They cross a river, possibly the Volga?
Possibly the Irkutsk or Yakutsk? I'm guessing T O T A L L Y!
Gaydad/kid discover that Margie/Luke knocked off Amanda/Kris.
Luke motions "big strong guy" (i.e., Kris)
Tammy/Vic kinda surprised that Margie/Luke laid it down.
Beautiful art deco in the middle of Siberia.
NOVOSIBIRSK.
Teams run from the train in the snowy slush.
Across the town square.
Looking for Taxis.
Jamie/Cara take the early lead.
They ask Margie to follow their cab.
Jamie conf: We were drawn to them right from the start. We've worked together very well.
Vic thanks his driver: Spasyibo!   
Stuntmen almost get run over crossing a street and giggle that it's like a stunt.
Kisha/Jen get a big confessional. Early. With odd music. Rarely a good sign.
Jamie/Cara get one too, but with funsy music instead.
Lots of cabss pass Gaydad/Gaykid's cab. They find it "annoying."

CLUE, Jamie/Cara: DETOUR.
Phil: Between two unavoidable aspects of Siberian life.
Russian Bride: Choose a car with a 4 speed manual transmission, a Lara, search for a waiting bride. Drive her acrosss town to the church where the groom is waiting. Wedding pic for the next clue.
Russian Snowplow: Get selves to this stadium, drive snowplow through a training course for the next clue.

I cannot pass up the opportunity for a Siberian rivers geography lesson. The two major rivers are the Yenisei and the Ob. The Yenisei is at Krasnojarsk and the Ob is at Novosibirsk. The Yenisei at 3445 miles is the 5th longest river in the world. The Ob is "only" 2100 miles. I will hazard a guess that those rivers are responsible for those cities to be where they are and population over 1 million each. There aer a few other minor rivers crossed in route, but they are not worth talking about.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:56 AM »
My daughter, who is part Asian, tells me that its a known fact that Asians are bad drivers, lol

So are the people in every Middle Eastern country and much of Europe and the United States. So what's new?

What ever happened to driver training? and using stick shift cars like I learned on (I drove stick shifts until 8 years ago when my wife forced a change to an automatic SUV).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:43:29 AM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2009, 08:26:44 AM »

I don't like the precedent either, but consider that team were all going to bunch minutes after pit stop release at the trian station. If you want to be mad about something, then why did AR14 producers make them wait nearly 10 hours for a train to Novosibirsk when there were about 6 trains in that time period? I think this is worth getting upset about.

It is most certainly strange timing, apskip. I just figured that TPTB would have rather had the teams wandering around sightseeing in the evening in Krasnoyarsk than sitting at an HoH deal in Novosibirsk in the very early morning hours. I would think that security of the teams would be easier the way they did it.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2009, 09:49:40 AM »
My daughter, who is part Asian, tells me that its a known fact that Asians are bad drivers, lol
I'm full Asian and I'm a damned good driver!  :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles: :knuckles:
there was such an awesome joke on that in Drawn Together...

Ling Ling Fahrprüfung - MyVideo
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:13:16 AM by cdfe88 »
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
This episode wasn't as good as the early ones for me (most likely because two of my biggest favorites are gone forever!), but it is still above seasons 12 and 13 by a long shot! Now for the teams:

Margie & Luke: The top 3 teams were all very strong this time, and made few mistakes (although I do think it was mostly luck). The mother/son did very well and will definitely go all the way. I like them still, but it will take time to rediscover my liking for them after the ridiculous U-turn choice.

Tammy & Victor: I liked them a lot more on this episode, but I was puzzled by the way they randomly left Jaime & Cara and Margie & Luke behind at that gas station (or whatever it was). If you're gonna leech information off people, you have to expect that they'll want some help from you in return. What goes around comes around. But at least they weren't bickering.

Jaime & Cara: They did well too and Jaime is really showing her intensity now. She is not a person to get frustrated on this race, but I think her intensity is what will get her team to the Final 3. I'm glad there's a female team that has intensity; it makes things more interesting.

Mel & Mike: They are starting to show their exhaustion, but somehow they still beat the three teams below them (how they did it I'm still not sure). I think that at this point only promotion by CBS people is what's keeping them alive now.

Mark & Michael: I really want to see them do better, because I know they have it in them, but they're not showing it. They are still likeable, but they have moved from my "love" list to my "like" one, and I wish they would move up (because I'm doomed in Joab's game without them surging ahead).

Kisha & Jen: I was disappointed to see these last two teams instantly fall to last and stay there the whole episode, because it was pretty uninteresting to see them back here. I don't really like this team, but I want them to stay for sheer unpredictability.

Christie & Jodi: I'm glad we didn't say goodbye to them this time, because I don't think this leg was very fair to them. I hope they do better in India, but I don't think I'll be holding my breath (because the Speed Bump sounds hard).

I liked the episode, but it wasn't as great as the first four. I'm just glad that it was a non-elim, because it feels like a normal length season again! :jam: And I'm hoping for some unpredictability and mixups next time!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2009, 05:40:36 PM »
This was a very good leg, it was better than the last one, because it had self-driving, but I just wish they had more destinations in it.  I am just glad that we get to keep all of these GREAT teams another leg!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #145 on: March 17, 2009, 10:03:35 AM »

It is most certainly strange timing, apskip. I just figured that TPTB would have rather had the teams wandering around sightseeing in the evening in Krasnoyarsk than sitting at an HoH deal in Novosibirsk in the very early morning hours. I would think that security of the teams would be easier the way they did it.

Dr. Rox:
 The last non-eliminated team(Mark and Michael) would have reached the pit stop no later than about 230pm to 3pm in Krasnoyarsk. All teams could have gotten on a train after a 24 hour pitstop for a 13 hour trip to Novosibirsk at any time from then until 1026pm but I am speculating now that the reason for the late departure was to allow leading teams to enjoy themselves aftere clarifying their train time/ticket information. Since they already had a 24 hour pit stop, that was not necessary. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 10:11:10 AM by apskip »

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #146 on: March 17, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
Here's my rating of the teams, beginning with our first-place team:

Margie & Luke -- another first-place finish!  This team's doing awfully well so far!  Will definitely make the Final 4!

Tammy & Victor -- really shouldn't just use people only to dump them later.  However, only Cara & Jamie have room to complain since Margie & Luke used the Blind U-Turn.

Cara & Jamie -- much improved!  Now if only Cara had ran instead of walked, they'd have done a little better.  Still, great job!

Mel & Mike -- I'd have gone for the Russian Snowplow Detour, but Mel's age is probably why they went for Russian Bride.  Still, good job.

Mark & Michael -- pretty good but they're still near the back of the pack.

LaKisha & Jen -- from second to sixth!  Not good.  Of course, part of the reason is that they didn't do well with driving.

Christie & Jodi -- and from first to last!  Ouch.  I hope they last past the next leg -- I have them in Joab's game!

Belle Book