Author Topic: Episode 4: East Coast live show updates and commentary  (Read 46716 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Episode 4: East Coast live show updates and commentary
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
On the Yield/U-Turn.

Dani & Danielle were the only team eliminated on the Yield or U-Turn that weren't already in last place (they were next to last with Ray & Yolanda behind them, and imagine that team made final three).

Lorena & Jason were toast without the U-Turn.  They started considerable after any other teams and that was one of a handful of TAR episode that had absolutely no points to bunch or slow teams up and allow other to catch up, except based on their own racing skills.

I would guess and its only a guess, that Amanda & Kris would have not been eliminated (though they ended last, Mark & Michael actually took longer doing the tasks, remember they were first flight).  Mark & Michael probably wasted enough time, that Amanda and Kris would have been able to pass them at the entrance to the Pit Stop.  They still had a terrible leg, but they should have been able to sneak by.

honeybee

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »
Amanda & Kris are out. Should be interesting to see their reaction at Elimination Station. They're going to be bitter.
Question, since I haven't seen it.  Did they ever find out (like at the mat) who U-Turned them?  Because if not they might not have ever found out (until the race was over), imagine either of the girl teams going out next and their reaction to it.
Negatory, but from the preview, it appears the teams still in it find out Luke did the U-Turn.

Based on elimination station, Amanda & Kris still did not know who U-turned them, guessing it still to be Jen & Kisha.
Luckily, though a little upset, they do not seem to be bitter.  Again shows what great people they are.  They stay postive and seem to enjoy their time in Thailand.
According to the preview for next week, the teams find out that Margie & Luke posted the U-turn (I bet they were honest).  I would assume that the next team eliminated will tell Amanda & Kris at the elimination station that Margie & Luke did it, so they would know before the final pit stop.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »
My thoughts on this episode have mostly been stated already: I'm glad the female teams jumped to the front, and I loved seeing Christie & Jodi finish first. I was glad that the challenges were challenging, and the blind U-turn was a creative idea. But I was disappointed because they made the intro dumb. I don't want a weirdly changing intro that shows the teams racing. Keep it the same the whole season!

Amanda & Kris weren't ready to go out yet. Without the U-turn, they would have beaten Mark & Michael, because all three teams finished the task together. Unfortunately I knew they were out as soon as the episode started, thanks to the "overconfidence interview" they always give the eliminated team now! Try not to ruin the outcome so early, CBS. :groan:

Thoughts on the teams:

Christie & Jodi: They did an excellent job on this leg! It was way cool to see them finish first after their dismal previous placings.

Kisha & Jen: Ditto above. They really did better than C & J, except for the Roadblock. They would have finished first.

Tammy & Victor: Thankfully they got a chance to have an invisible edit. I've seen enough of them already, so this episode made up for most of the previous ones.

Margie & Luke: Starting to emerge as the villains of the season thanks to the editing teams' agenda. I lost some love for them with the insulting U-turn that they could have (and should have) put on Tammy & Victor, who were their real threat.

Jaime & Cara: Solid leg, the only reason they finished this low was because of the bad flight. And despite Luke's decision to try and "save" them, they really were in no danger this episode.

Mel & Mike: They still got a slightly overabundant edit, but not one that became annoying. They had some problems and overall ran an average leg for a Father/Son team.

Mark & Michael: They had a chance to finish well, but they lost that opportunity quickly. I'm surprised they had so much trouble finding the house. They seem like they are aspiring to become like Andrew & Dan!

ELIMINATED
Amanda & Kris: Unfortunately they become yet another awesome team to leave the race due to no real fault of their own, although I think they could have been faster at the Detour if they had broken away from the M & M teams. Although it is not true that, as CBS says, Luke "orchestrated" their elimination, I am still angry at Luke for this upsetting decision that was very poorly made. You should U-turn the biggest threat to you (in this case, Tammy & Victor), which of course they didn't do. This team had so much more potential, and I know they would have gone the distance if it wasn't for this.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

honeybee

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:34 PM »
ELIMINATED
Amanda & Kris: Unfortunately they become yet another awesome team to leave the race due to no real fault of their own, although I think they could have been faster at the Detour if they had broken away from the M & M teams. Although it is not true that, as CBS says, Luke "orchestrated" their elimination, I am still angry at Luke for this upsetting decision that was very poorly made. You should U-turn the biggest threat to you (in this case, Tammy & Victor), which of course they didn't do. This team had so much more potential, and I know they would have gone the distance if it wasn't for this.

I loved Amanda & Kris too - they were so supportive of one another!!  Although I think you are being a little contradictory.  Yes, Tammy & Victor are a threat to Margie & Luke, but Amanda & Kris were absolutely a threat as well (maybe not in this leg, but in the big picture).  You even say they would have 'gone the distance' if it wasn't for the U-turn.  Isn't that a big enough threat?  Luke (and Margie) didn't do it to be mean but only to potentially get rid of a large threat.  I don't know if I could have done it myself... but I think it was smart for them.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2009, 05:56:47 PM »
The problem this season is that there are no more couples now that Amanda and Kris are eliminated!  You need couples in a race to make it intersting!  I am just glad we still have an interesting cast.  This season is still better than the past two and is one of the best ones.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
ELIMINATED

I loved Amanda & Kris too - they were so supportive of one another!!  Although I think you are being a little contradictory.  Yes, Tammy & Victor are a threat to Margie & Luke, but Amanda & Kris were absolutely a threat as well (maybe not in this leg, but in the big picture).  You even say they would have 'gone the distance' if it wasn't for the U-turn.  Isn't that a big enough threat?  Luke (and Margie) didn't do it to be mean but only to potentially get rid of a large threat.  I don't know if I could have done it myself... but I think it was smart for them.

hoeybee, what you say about the rationale for Margie/Luke to U-Turn Amanda/Kris is actually true. There was a longer term juustification for that. However, that is not why they did it. Luke was all hot and bothered to help his friends Jaime and Cara stay in the race and he figured (correctly) that their chances were much improved if Amanda/Kris had an extra 30 minutes or so to deal with. Let us now see how Margie/Luke do with the karma aspects of their decision. It appears that they may do another U-Turn next episode.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »
ELIMINATED

hoeybee, what you say about the rationale for Margie/Luke to U-Turn Amanda/Kris is actually true. There was a longer term juustification for that. However, that is not why they did it. Luke was all hot and bothered to help his friends Jaime and Cara stay in the race and he figured (correctly) that their chances were much improved if Amanda/Kris had an extra 30 minutes or so to deal with. Let us now see how Margie/Luke do with the karma aspects of their decision. It appears that they may do another U-Turn next episode.

If you read the interviews Amanda and Kris gave, Margie obviously lied to them about Kisha and Jen saying they'll definitely use the U-TURN if they have the chance, which Kisha and Jen obviously didn't... sneaky huh Margie and Luke.. i think it's unjustifiable for the U-TURN used because as much as Margie and Luke wants Cara and Jaime to stay in the race.. they know that teams behind them would use the U-TURN on their own if they want to. It's just... i don't know. Not a very good move in the short run because it didn't help them one single bit to gain any advantage in the race at that point of time, but it was DEFINITELY a good move as it got rid of a much stronger team who could steal their chances of winning in the long run. What was a pity was that it wasn't a NEL. You do know it sucks to go out the race due to something you cannot control. :(

And Mark and Michael checked in 10 mins before Amanda and Kris, which means.. the U-TURN really sealed the fate of Amanda and Kris.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2009, 02:38:31 AM »
That's a bunch of bologna.  Amanda & Kris absolutely had some fault in their own elimination.  Had they stuck with Stack, they probably could've done Construct quickly enough to stay in it.  Plus, Kris struggled with the Roadblock, another thing that hurt them.  So yeah, the U-Turn hindered them, but the aforementioned problems were definitely their fault, and not out of their control.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
ELIMINATED
Although it is not true that, as CBS says, Luke "orchestrated" their elimination, I am still angry at Luke for this upsetting decision that was very poorly made. You should U-turn the biggest threat to you (in this case, Tammy & Victor), which of course they didn't do.

...they know that teams behind them would use the U-TURN on their own if they want to.

Well, I have some choice comments on the above. Joab, Margie/Luke would probably have U-Turned Tammy/Victor if they had the chance to, but Tammy/Victor went through the Blind U-Turn opportunity in 3rd place before Margie/Luke ever got there. You cannot U-turn a team in front of you and if you try to (Kynt/Vyxsin on Nicolas/Donald in AR12) you jsut waste it!

Hooky, the situation that Luke was concerend about was if Jaime/Cara happened to be in last place.  If that were true given the closeness of the last 4 teams it is likely that it would have kept Jaime/Cara alive. However as it turned out Jaime/Cara worked hard and fast on Stack and earned 5th place on their own. So they in fact could have used the Blind U-Turn but Luke did not know that at the time he made the decision because nobody was in 5th place then.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2009, 08:44:07 AM »
Well, I have some choice comments on the above. Joab, Margie/Luke would probably have U-Turned Tammy/Victor if they had the chance to, but Tammy/Victor went through the Blind U-Turn opportunity in 3rd place before Margie/Luke ever got there. You cannot U-turn a team in front of you and if you try to (Kynt/Vyxsin on Nicolas/Donald in AR12) you jsut waste it!

Margie and Luke, Cara and Jaime and Tammy and Victor have an alliance. They will not U-TURN Tammy and Victor..

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2009, 08:46:21 AM »
That's a bunch of bologna.  Amanda & Kris absolutely had some fault in their own elimination.  Had they stuck with Stack, they probably could've done Construct quickly enough to stay in it.  Plus, Kris struggled with the Roadblock, another thing that hurt them.  So yeah, the U-Turn hindered them, but the aforementioned problems were definitely their fault, and not out of their control.

The only fault they had was to not finish the Detour before Margie and Luke, other than that, the U-TURN killed them. It was out of their control. They can't control Margie and Luke and ask them not to U-TURN them? Unless you think so otherwise? :funny:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
Joab, you have missed the main point Ashe was making. It is that Amanda/Kris could have performed better at Stack the first time and not even been behind Margie/Luke. Or Kris could have known who Chekhov is and aced the name puzzle like Victor did. Or they could have done better on Construct. As it turned out, they finished only 10 minutes behind. Any one of these factors, totally under their own control, could have saved them.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2009, 01:03:25 PM »
Joab, you have missed the main point Ashe was making. It is that Amanda/Kris could have performed better at Stack the first time and not even been behind Margie/Luke. Or Kris could have known who Chekhov is and aced the name puzzle like Victor did. Or they could have done better on Construct. As it turned out, they finished only 10 minutes behind. Any one of these factors, totally under their own control, could have saved them.
Well, I really meant that they could've stuck with Stack and, if they still got U-Turned, done Construct quickly enough without getting lost trying to find the house.

Joab, Margie/Luke would probably have U-Turned Tammy/Victor if they had the chance to, but Tammy/Victor went through the Blind U-Turn opportunity in 3rd place before Margie/Luke ever got there. You cannot U-turn a team in front of you and if you try to (Kynt/Vyxsin on Nicolas/Donald in AR12) you jsut waste it!
Actually, Margie & Luke got there in third place.  Tammy & Victor got there behind them in fourth.  That's how they were to see that Amanda & Kris had gotten U-Turned, which prompted Tammy to remind us that Kris (yes, just Kris) was too strong to risk getting close to the end of the race.  They only managed to pass Margie & Luke and moving into third place by running for the Roadblock clue.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:41 PM »
My recap is finally up.
Just here to visit.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:36 PM »
JOAB

If you read the interviews Amanda and Kris gave, Margie obviously lied to them about Kisha and Jen saying they'll definitely use the U-TURN if they have the chance, which Kisha and Jen obviously didn't... sneaky huh Margie and Luke.. i think it's unjustifiable for the U-TURN used because as much as Margie and Luke wants Cara and Jaime to stay in the race.. they know that teams behind them would use the U-TURN on their own if they want to. It's just... i don't know. Not a very good move in the short run because it didn't help them one single bit to gain any advantage in the race at that point of time, but it was DEFINITELY a good move as it got rid of a much stronger team who could steal their chances of winning in the long run. What was a pity was that it wasn't a NEL. You do know it sucks to go out the race due to something you cannot control. :(

And Mark and Michael checked in 10 mins before Amanda and Kris, which means.. the U-TURN really sealed the fate of Amanda and Kris.

Joab, perhaps I am wrong, but it doesn't sound like Margie told them that Kisha & Jen would U-Turn them.  I just re-watched the clips and they talk about being at dinner at the Pit Stop and they were going around the table and asking who would use the U-Turn.  Kisha & Jenn were the most vocal about absolutely using the U-Turn.  Thats why they think they did it.  And even Kisha & Jen talk about the fact that because of the position they are in they didn't need to use the U-Turn (very smart move).

And actually it was a very smart move, if you are going to use it.

When Margie & Luke had left the wood stacking tasks only three teams were left.  Tammy & Victor who were very nearly done. Jaime & Cara who were having to rebuild and Amanda & Kris who were rebuilding.  They have no idea of Mel & Mike (for all they know they could be done).  THey would obviously assume that Kisha & Jen, Christie & Jodi and Mark & Michael have already finished.

So in their eyes they should be team number 5 at that point.  Leaving three teams behind them.  If you are going to use the U-turn, who do you then U-Turn?  Tammy & Victor who are just behind you?  Nope, while it certainly wouldn't hurt to give this team another task to do, but it looks like both Jaime & Cara and Amanda & Kris are further behind then what think the other task would take.  That leaves 2 teams.  Amanda & Kris or Jaime & Cara.  By the state of their stacks Amanda & Kris were in last at this point, so its logical to hit them without any other factors being taken.  When you add that so far out of the three legs Amanda & Kris have performed stronger in all three legs then Jaime & Cara is a huge, huge reason to use it against them.  Then add in the factor that they like this team (Jaime & Cara), they are part of a lose alliance (with Tammy & Victor as well).

Yeah that pretty much makes the perfect case to actually use the U-Turn.  Consider the other uses of the Yield and the U-Turn, this is one of the smartest.  I would rank it with Chip & Kim Yielding Colin & Christie, Lake & Michelle yielding Dani & Danielle and Oswald & Danny Yielding Eric & Danielle as the four smartest uses of the Yield or U-Turn.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2009, 04:12:34 PM »
JOAB

Joab, perhaps I am wrong, but it doesn't sound like Margie told them that Kisha & Jen would U-Turn them.  I just re-watched the clips and they talk about being at dinner at the Pit Stop and they were going around the table and asking who would use the U-Turn.  Kisha & Jenn were the most vocal about absolutely using the U-Turn.  Thats why they think they did it.  And even Kisha & Jen talk about the fact that because of the position they are in they didn't need to use the U-Turn (very smart move).

When Margie & Luke had left the wood stacking tasks only three teams were left.  Tammy & Victor who were very nearly done. Jaime & Cara who were having to rebuild and Amanda & Kris who were rebuilding.  They have no idea of Mel & Mike (for all they know they could be done).  THey would obviously assume that Kisha & Jen, Christie & Jodi and Mark & Michael have already finished.

So in their eyes they should be team number 5 at that point.  Leaving three teams behind them.  If you are going to use the U-turn, who do you then U-Turn?  Tammy & Victor who are just behind you?  Nope, while it certainly wouldn't hurt to give this team another task to do, but it looks like both Jaime & Cara and Amanda & Kris are further behind then what think the other task would take.  That leaves 2 teams.  Amanda & Kris or Jaime & Cara.  By the state of their stacks Amanda & Kris were in last at this point, so its logical to hit them without any other factors being taken.  When you add that so far out of the three legs Amanda & Kris have performed stronger in all three legs then Jaime & Cara is a huge, huge reason to use it against them.  Then add in the factor that they like this team (Jaime & Cara), they are part of a lose alliance (with Tammy & Victor as well).

Yeah that pretty much makes the perfect case to actually use the U-Turn.  Consider the other uses of the Yield and the U-Turn, this is one of the smartest.  I would rank it with Chip & Kim Yielding Colin & Christie, Lake & Michelle yielding Dani & Danielle and Oswald & Danny Yielding Eric & Danielle as the four smartest uses of the Yield or U-Turn.

I have to agree, Mswood.  When I realized that Margie & Luke were going to U-Turn Amanda & Kris, I could see why.  Margie & Luke were in a loose alliance with Tammy & Victor and were closely aligned with Jamie & Cara, so those teams were out.  Of the teams that weren't aligned with Margie & Luke, three were most likely assumed to be already gone (and Margie & Luke had no way of knowing Mark & Michael switched Detours), and Mel & Mike could've finished the other Detour and in any case weren't a strong team.  That left only one team -- Amanda & Kris.

Belle Book

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2009, 06:09:25 PM »
JOAB

I have to agree, Mswood.  When I realized that Margie & Luke were going to U-Turn Amanda & Kris, I could see why.  Margie & Luke were in a loose alliance with Tammy & Victor and were closely aligned with Jamie & Cara, so those teams were out.  Of the teams that weren't aligned with Margie & Luke, three were most likely assumed to be already gone (and Margie & Luke had no way of knowing Mark & Michael switched Detours), and Mel & Mike could've finished the other Detour and in any case weren't a strong team.  That left only one team -- Amanda & Kris.

Belle Book

exactly, the decision to use the U-turn wasn't evil it was smart, most are arguing that they shouldn't have used the u-turn because of no advantage gained, no personal vendettas and or because it's cheating, but I just think that it's one of the best strategies ever implemented on TAR, and as I stated in another thread, it was a really good investment on their part, and besides, they have a small protection against their karma: the team they u-turned is out, nobody sees them as a threat, and they have one third of the remaining teams in their alliance, so it's not like they sprouted targets on their backs like BJ & Tyler or Dustin & Kandice
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2009, 06:18:37 PM »
Well it was a smart choice, but I do hate those aspects of the show.  I always treat the Amazing Race, as a first and foremost a RACE.  In track and field you don't create things were other racers can cause you direct harm.  You sink or swim solely on your own ability and random luck.

But it is part of the race, and since it is there, I can't fault teams for using it wisely.  I do fault them when the use it illogically.  ANd I hate it when teams can't admit it (not necessarily to the other racers), but in their interviews to the audience.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2009, 09:46:33 PM »
Well at least the decision made gave us the most hype up discussion ever since the beginning of this season. :funny: