Author Topic: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)  (Read 95566 times)

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Teams did not arrive in Brasov until 0920 and they had the RAODBLOCK and DETOUR to contend with. With the exception of Brad/Victoria, they should finish at between noon and 4pm. After the pitstop, they have about a 3 hour drive in the middle of the night (more during the day time) to get to Bucharest airport between 3am and 7am. The best route Bucharest to Kransnojarsk after 3am is one of these 3 combinations probably taken by the 3 leading teams:

There are 3 choices for the first flight, OA382  OTP ATH 0940 1115 or OA942  OTP ATH 0945 1205 or TK1444  OTP IST 1050 1215
Second flight is SU296 ATH SVO 1310 1730  or TK1415  IST SVO  1335 1740
Third flight for all 3 is SU779 SVO KJA 1055 0540+1
Note: there are also inferior routes through Paris or Frankfurt requiring leaving earlier.

The next best combination, used probably by all other teams, is:
OTP  BUD RO9233 1040 1110
BUD DME MA106 1440 1910
Moscow DME Krasnojarsk (KJA) S7071 2220 0645+1

Note for all routes that transportation systems in Russia are set up to funnel through Moscow(logical in the case of goingn from Buchrest to Krasnojarsk but not very logical for Novosibirsk to Delhi.

PitStop arrivals between noon and 4 pm mesh with Chateau's info from the last leg.

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,18377.223.html  TAR14 EP3

Chateau estimated that Mark and Mike hit the PitStop between 2:14 and 2:33 pm.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2009, 09:54:24 AM »
Blind U-Turn

While at the PitStop,  an unmarked envelope containing the identity (picture) of a team that must complete the U-Turn on the next leg was chosen. Teams must now race quicker in case they were blindly chosen as the ones to complete the U-Turn.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2009, 10:04:11 AM »
Blind U-Turn

While at the PitStop,  an unmarked envelope containing the identity (picture) of a team that must complete the U-Turn on the next leg was chosen. Teams must now race quicker in case they were blindly chosen as the ones to complete the U-Turn.

Is this official? A sudden thought came into my mind, i think only in the case when a U-TURN is unused (all teams chose not to utilise their U-TURN), then it will become a "blind" U-TURN, where teams will draw lots (marked envelop) to see who will complete the U-TURN for the next leg. :ascared

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2009, 10:33:54 AM »

I may have to redo this.

I made a fundamental mistake and that is when getting time from Solar altitude you have to consider that the sun could be either going up or going down when it is shining form the angle determined.  Soo ....  That arrival time may well end up being on the other side of noon.  More analysis is in the works so stay tuned.

I saw that Kris & Mander completed the Detour at 10:38 am according to the Randy Jackson sized wristwatch on Kris.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »
Blind U-Turn

Is this official? A sudden thought came into my mind, i think only in the case when a U-TURN is unused (all teams chose not to utilise their U-TURN), then it will become a "blind" U-TURN, where teams will draw lots (marked envelop) to see who will complete the U-TURN for the next leg. :ascared

Not even close to official. ;D

Just offering my opinions

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2009, 12:59:52 PM »
Here's a guess that after unscrambling "Chekhov," teams find the Krasnoyarsk-based cruise ship bearing his name. This would get them to the river area before the detour options. Or if the roadblock is after the detour, this could be a pitstop possibility...

http://raytour.com/html/cruises/Krasnoyarsk_Dudinka.html
"The unique cruise Krasnoyarsk-Dudinka goes along the Yenisei river, one of the biggest rivers in the world. The tourists will know about the nature of the Krasnoyarsk Territory and visit the towns: Yeniseisk, Turukhansk, Igarka, Dudinka. Besides, there wilt be the so-called "green stops" where you will see the wild nature of Siberia. You will see the Angara river and the polar day, polar rainbow and tundra in full. "Anton Chekhov" - one of the most comfortable russian ships built in Austria in 1978. European quality service, every cabin with WC, shower, bath, air conditioning. Restaurant, bar, cinema, library, swimming pool, sauna. MS "A.Chekhov" was built in Korniburg, Austria in 1978."

« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:13:50 PM by mwooden »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2009, 01:07:04 PM »

I may have to redo this.

I made a fundamental mistake and that is when getting time from Solar altitude you have to consider that the sun could be either going up or going down when it is shining form the angle determined.  Soo ....  That arrival time may well end up being on the other side of noon.  More analysis is in the works so stay tuned.

I saw that Kris & Mander completed the Detour at 10:38 am according to the Randy Jackson sized wristwatch on Kris.

Chateau,
I hate to state the obvious, but are you saying that with all the tasks once teams did in Brasov and the Bran area (which is 24 km away), any team was able to complete them before noon? The 630am train from Bucharest Nord did not arrive until 922am!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2009, 01:19:46 PM »
Here's a guess that after unscrambling "Chekhov," teams find the Krasnoyarsk-based cruise ship bearing his name. This would get them to the river area before the detour options. Or if the roadblock is after the detour, this could be a pitstop possibility...

http://raytour.com/html/cruises/Krasnoyarsk_Dudinka.html
"The unique cruise Krasnoyarsk-Dudinka goes along the Yenisei river, one of the biggest rivers in the world. The tourists will know about the nature of the Krasnoyarsk Territory and visit the towns: Yeniseisk, Turukhansk, Igarka, Dudinka. Besides, there wilt be the so-called "green stops" where you will see the wild nature of Siberia. You will see the Angara river and the polar day, polar rainbow and tundra in full. "Anton Chekhov" - one of the most comfortable russian ships built in Austria in 1978. European quality service, every cabin with WC, shower, bath, air conditioning. Restaurant, bar, cinema, library, swimming pool, sauna. MS "A.Chekhov" was built in Korniburg, Austria in 1978."

That would make for a cool pitstop mwooden  :tup:

eta: http://www.russianempirecruises.com/ship05.html
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:29:09 PM by puddin »

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:05 PM »
Hmm, Puddin, after seeing your site, I think my info might have been out of date...

From your page:
"For many years the ship was traveling along the exotic route on Yenisey River in Siberia and starting 2004 it will be used on the most popular Russian cruise line Moscow – St. Petersburg."

Although, here's a 2007 article that says the Anton Chekhov is transporting tourists to the old gulag camps, starting in Krasnoyarsk.

Who knows.  :groan:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:57:08 PM by mwooden »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2009, 02:10:02 PM »

I may have to redo this.

Chateau,
I hate to state the obvious, but are you saying that with all the tasks once teams did in Brasov and the Bran area (which is 24 km away), any team was able to complete them before noon? The 630am train from Bucharest Nord did not arrive until 922am!

Sure:

Task                         Dur   Start      End
train to Brasov                            9:22
get off train                 1   9:22      9:23
get to taxi                      1   9:23    9:24
negociate fare                 2   9:24      9:26
taxi to Black Church     13   9:26        9:39
run to cluebox                 1   9:39       9:40
read clue                         1   9:40        9:41
taxi to Gypse detour           40   9:41      10:21
load junk                           7   10:21     10:28
pet pony                           1   10:28   10:29
roll 300 yards                   6   10:29   10:35
unload junk                   3   10:35   10:38

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
Hmm, Puddin, after seeing your site, I think my info might have been out of date...

From your page:
"For many years the ship was traveling along the exotic route on Yenisey River in Siberia and starting 2004 it will be used on the most popular Russian cruise line Moscow – St. Petersburg."

Although, here's a 2007 article that says the Anton Chekhov is transporting tourists to the old gulag camps, starting in Krasnoyarsk.

Who knows.  :groan:
*tempted to write forced labor joke, but political prisons aren't funny*
Just here to visit.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2009, 02:30:08 PM »

Sure:

Task                         Dur   Start      End
train to Brasov                            9:22
get off train                 1   9:22      9:23
get to taxi                      1   9:23    9:24
negociate fare                 2   9:24      9:26
taxi to Black Church     13   9:26        9:39
run to cluebox                 1   9:39       9:40
read clue                         1   9:40        9:41
taxi to Gypse detour           40   9:41      10:21
load junk                           7   10:21     10:28
pet pony                           1   10:28   10:29
roll 300 yards                   6   10:29   10:35
unload junk                   3   10:35   10:38

Lucky pony!

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #137 on: March 03, 2009, 02:39:50 PM »
Is the spelling of Chekov different in Cyrillic (spelling?)?  If so, can anyone post Chekov in Cyrillic?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
Is the spelling of Chekov different in Cyrillic (spelling?)?  If so, can anyone post Chekov in Cyrillic?

From wiki  Анто́н Па́влович Че́хов / Antòn Pàvlovič Chéchov
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chekhov

Offline raim

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2009, 02:56:55 PM »
I have to think that the "blind" u-turn needs to be taken almost literally. I think it would be so insensitive of TPTB to call something blind when they have a deaf contestant, unless it actually refers to being "blinded". Perhaps the U-Turn team has to select a member to be blindfolded for the task, or even both although TARAsia is right that this would be really unfair for Luke and Margie. Are TPTB so insensitive as to introduce this term this season of all seasons? I guess only time will tell....

Offline CrazyForKahlen

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2009, 03:44:27 PM »
Are TPTB so insensitive as to introduce this term this season of all seasons?

You are forgetting how often they talked about winning a leg in Sarah's season  :funny:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »
Quote from: Apskip
I think a little more information about Ovsyanka is warranted. A tour company gives this half-day tour as part of a 2 day tour of the Krasnoyarsk area:

Visiting the old authentic Ovsyanka village. Siberian izba, museum, church and library. Visiting observation place “Tsar Fish“.
Not much to say, your description just about covered it. Ovsyanka ("oatmeal") started out a settlement guarding the approach to Krasnoyarsk. The Tsar Fish, on a overlook east of the village, is a reference to the most famous work of favorite-son author Victor Astafiev.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2009, 02:12:49 AM »
 :groan: I give up..

65 writers gave their names to streets, lanes, passages in Irkutsk. For example, there are streets of Gorkii and Herzen, Goncharov and Dostoevskii, Chekhov

Or let us take A.P.Chekhov. He wrote about Irkutsk from his own experience. The memorial board on the house, along the street Furye, 1, reminds us of Chekhov’s staying on June 6, 1890 in the hotel "the Amur yard" to rest on the way to the Sakhalin island. The writer liked the city very much. ...
www.manus.baikal.ru/eng/es19.htm

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2009, 09:47:38 AM »
Or there's Ensign Chekov from Star Trek! :P
Just here to visit.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
Can anyone decipher what Mark means in the cab? (Cheers to Puddin for helping me out with that video!)

Quote from: Mark
We're leaving/leading in first place with Jennifer and Kisha and Jodi and Christie. And everybody else actually got stuck back in the other airport.

"The other airport" suggests they're using different airports out of Moscow, not a surprise since Domodedovo, Sheremtyevo and Vnukovo alternate best flights to Krasnojarsk. But are Mark and Michael in a cab going from one Moscow airport to another, or have they already arrived in Krasnojarsk?

Answering this question may help us figure out:
> Whether it was dark when the lead teams get to Moscow
   > Whether Bran was an extended Pit Stop
      > The flights available from Bucharest to Krasnojarsk
         > The lead Mark/Michael have over the other teams
         > When/whether Victor/Tammy get saved by bunching
      > How long teams spend in Russia
         > Whether the Jaipur leg was one day or two
            > Are there likely to be stragglers going into Phuket
               > How many teams get to Phuket

:groan: I've looked at shots of "the other airport", but I'm going nowhere! I can rule out Sheremtyevo, but it has similarities to all of Bucharest, Domodedovo and Vnukovo...

Domodedovo Airport? (Tiling)

Vnukovo Airport? (Chair design)

Or Bucharest Airport? (Long lights instead of circular ones, yellow on black and white on blue signs)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:53:13 AM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2009, 11:04:27 AM »
Nice work Neobie ... so many questions!

Commercial during TPIR (video later)

VoiceOver: exhaustion has set in
Luke: argghhhhhhhhhh
Margie: hes getting very frustrated..I want to help him but I can't

Michael & Mark walking down the street
Michael: this is going to take all day
VO: Now, can the teams come together in time?
Mike & Mel conf (from ep1): some how were going to survive this race ...for a game changing twist?

Tammy watching Victor on the flume thingy: you got it!
 Michael & Mark: Who got U-Turned?
Shots of the Blind U-Turn

« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 02:33:32 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #146 on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:32 AM »
What is going on here? Mel/Mike Amanda/Kris switched detours ? Or is the Blind U-Turn able to U-Turn more than one team?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #147 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:41 AM »

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #148 on: March 04, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
There's the evidence of the Blind U-Turn. It's going to be interesting to find out what that means.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #149 on: March 04, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
What if the team that gets Blind U-Turned has to U-Turn the very next team as well?