Author Topic: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)  (Read 95317 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »
Victor Petrovich Astafijeva, who ever heard of him before today? Now Anton Chekhov I believe most of us have heard of. However, Chekhov was born in Taganov in the Rostov Oblast in southwest Russia, a long way from Siberia.

However, there was a relationship more than Chekhov's references to his "warm Siberia". there must have been a significant relationship. Artist Michael Pennington devised and performed a play titled "Chekhov in Siberia" on BBC Radio in 1986.

That relationship was his trip as part of his medical studies to Sakhalin Island in the far northeast of Siberia (that would be the island whose southern half went from control by Russia to Japan in 1905 and came back in 1944). He surveyed 10,000 convicts sentenced to lifetime quarantine there for his doctoral research.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2009, 02:20:39 PM »
Huh? It's a long way on the TransSiberian Railway from Krasnojarsk to Irkutsk. I think I got a 15 to 16 hour transit time.

It would be 15-16h if you're headed to Irkutsk, but you'd be lost in Siberia, Apskip! :lol:

It's around 12h from Krasnojarsk to Novosibirsk, for example 6.26pm to 6.47am the next day.

So, yeah. Probably too much time for a TBC.

I don't think I am lost in Siberia. If you examine my multiple posts on the subject of TransSiberian Railway schedules, Neobie, you would conclude otherwise. I am quite familiar with the Krasnojarsk to Novosibirsk schedules, as stated in all versions of the Timelines since we knew Krasnoyarsk was a stop for AR14 and perhaps even a little before that. What is going on here is some speculation about teams maybe goign to Irkutsk. I don't think it happened, but it does not hurt to be prepared with the logistics of how they could do it.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2009, 02:24:08 PM »
More info, warranting a new post. Sorry for that.

According to this site: http://www.suvenirograd.ru/sights.php?id=650&lang=2

Church of St. Innocent of Irkutsk in Ovsyanka, which consists of a wooden chapel belfry and a total area of 59.7 square kilometers. m, was built in 1994 on the initiative and with the participation of writer Victor Petrovich Astafijeva.

The author - architect Areg Demirhanov.   Other projects of Demirhanov -  a librari and church, created at the request Astafijeva in the Ovsyanka.

I searched for the boldened name, and I went to this site:

http://russianliterature.org/people/a/astafiev.htm

Writer.  Born on  May 1, 1924  in the village of Ovsyanka, in the  Krasnoyarsk  region.   In 1942 graduated from the  Rail School  and worked that year for four months on building a railroad.  In 1942 joined the military and went to fight in  World War II.  Studied at a soldier's school in  Novosibirsk in 1942, and in 1943 fought until the end of the war as a soldier.  Was given several medals for his bravery at the war.

After the war worked at a railway station, until in the 1950s started writing stories for the Chusovsky Worker.  In 1958 became a member of the Soviet Union of Writers, and in 1962 became a professional writer.

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s published books of stories and novels.  From 1979 to 1981 four volumes of his collected works was published by the Molodaya Gvardia publishing house.

In 1991 was the Secretary of the Soviet Union of Writers.  Died in 2001.

Note the boldened title. It is probable that for the Roadblock, team members had to write the word "Chusovsky Worker" because honestly, Anton Chekhov has no direct link to Krasnoyarsk. What I believe would happen for this leg is:

Teams arrive on Krasnoyarsk
RB with speed reading - must form the words Chusovsky Worker
Go to place associated with writer of Chusovsky Worker - Orthodox Church in Ovsyanka
Detour
U-turn afterwards?

I'm going to stick with CHECKOV CHEKHOV (opps!) because it fits the evidence.  There is no E in Chusovsky and not enough letter boards to spell out "Chusovsky Worker"

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:19:54 PM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2009, 02:38:59 PM »
In the video preview Mark & Michael are seen looking for the construct Detour, which they can't find. Anyway, they are spotted here at the wood stack. So did they change minds ....or?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

his "warm Siberia".

That's a reference to Chekhov's estate/home in Yalta.
Matthew 7:15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2009, 02:54:34 PM »
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:08:17 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »
Michael says "our lead is gone", "they're catching up no doubt" when looking for the construct.. I think they might have been U-Turned?

Offline pitt02

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2009, 03:08:42 PM »
Is Luke's trouble figuring out the word before or after the challenge where they have to stack the wood. Does anyone know?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
I thought it was most likely the"blind U-Turn" referred to a new twist where teams don't know which team inflicts the U-Turn.

You said it first Crazy, I agree  :tup: .

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »
Is Luke's trouble figuring out the word before or after the challenge where they have to stack the wood. Does anyone know?

Chateau states that he thinks the Roadblock is first. It makes sense too because don't U-Turns usually come after the Roadblocks in previous seasons?

Offline bag

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »

Chateau states that he thinks the Roadblock is first. It makes sense too because don't U-Turns usually come after the Roadblocks in previous seasons?
Actually...none of the U-Turns have come after roadblocks so far.

And also, doesn't Michael (or Mark) say in the preview that they're looking for the house to put the shutters on? That's the second half of the Construct detour, so if they've been U-Turned, they've probably completed the Stack task and are looking to finish this one, and they've lost their lead because they can't find the house, not because they've been U-Turned.
The Incredible Race 2: Currently in Kathmandu, Nepal - Episode 4 is up!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2009, 03:28:41 PM »

Actually...none of the U-Turns have come after roadblocks so far.

And also, doesn't Michael (or Mark) say in the preview that they're looking for the house to put the shutters on? That's the second half of the Construct detour, so if they've been U-Turned, they've probably completed the Stack task and are looking to finish this one, and they've lost their lead because they can't find the house, not because they've been U-Turned.
Yup I'm batting zero today  :lol:
Plus per clue Michael and Mark are a lead team so if they were U-Turned it would almost have to be the sisters or blonds that have Blind U-turned them don't you think? I could see Jodi doing this .......

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »
Chateau wrote "probably" not definitely btw

This shot was taken between 8:20 and 8:40 am (assumes November 8th).

Probably an hours of operation delay and the Roadblock is the first task of the leg.

Offline pitt02

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2009, 03:37:50 PM »
If the roadblock is the 1st task and Luke is having trouble doing that than we can almost be sure that the stacks completed are not theirs.  They could have done the other task.  The completed task could have came from Jennifer and Lakisha which means they could have been the 1st into the task meaning they could have u-turned Mark and Mike.  Or on the other hand that could be completly wrong.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2009, 03:41:42 PM »
Here is the location of the Church.  Slowhatch had the correct city.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #90 on: March 02, 2009, 03:43:18 PM »
I also have to correct my location of the other part of the Detour.

I had the wrong side of the river.  The Power towers are on both sides of course  :groan:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #91 on: March 02, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »

Plus per clue Michael and Mark are a lead team so if they were U-Turned it would almost have to be the sisters or blonds that have Blind U-turned them don't you think? I could see Jodi doing this .......

It has to be one of the other early arrival teams, K/J or J/C, that would have the ability to U-Turn Mark/Michael. Personally, I dont see that type of behavior in Kisha/Jen, but Jodi/Christie have shown that they have a sneaky nature, ie, in the Leg 1 train ride from Zurich to Locarno. They didn't inform anyone else, that the older lady was going to switch trains and get to Locarno faster.

I have looked back for another reference, but I don't seem to be able to locate it at the moment. Maybe I was dreaming, but IIRC didn't Jodi try to get Victor/Tammy, in some way, hinder another team previously?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 04:40:50 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Max

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #92 on: March 02, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
Maybe the blind u-turn means they do not know who they are u-turning, could be the next team to arrive. Not sure.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
I think a little more information about Ovsyanka is warranted. A tour company gives this half-day tour as part of a 2 day tour of the Krasnoyarsk area:

Visiting the old authentic Ovsyanka village. Siberian izba, museum, church and library. Visiting observation place “Tsar Fish“.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2009, 05:35:10 PM »
I know this post:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,17788.1075.html
quotes the most times unreliable wikipedia.
But it does seem like the title  could be attributed to M&M now...

"Doing the double" could mean having to do both "i.e. double" detour tasks?

From wikipedia -

Leg 5 quote's - "They Did The Double On Us!"

Totally sounds like a Mark and Michael quote to me.

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/double

4. To replace an actor in the actor's absence or in a certain scene.

Sounds like a stuntman term, since a stuntman.. is sometimes a double.. to help the actors/actresses perform dangerous stunts that they cannot do.. and Mark and Michael are highly to be the team using the term?

And they.. i'm speculating that they are refering to a team who look really alike each other?? Cara and Jaime??
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 05:42:22 PM by walkingpneumonia »
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere

Offline booboobooboo

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #95 on: March 02, 2009, 05:36:24 PM »
It is properly spelled 'Chekhov', not 'Checkov'

More info, warranting a new post. Sorry for that.

According to this site: http://www.suvenirograd.ru/sights.php?id=650&lang=2

Church of St. Innocent of Irkutsk in Ovsyanka, which consists of a wooden chapel belfry and a total area of 59.7 square kilometers. m, was built in 1994 on the initiative and with the participation of writer Victor Petrovich Astafijeva.

The author - architect Areg Demirhanov.   Other projects of Demirhanov -  a librari and church, created at the request Astafijeva in the Ovsyanka.

I searched for the boldened name, and I went to this site:

http://russianliterature.org/people/a/astafiev.htm

Writer.  Born on  May 1, 1924  in the village of Ovsyanka, in the  Krasnoyarsk  region.   In 1942 graduated from the  Rail School  and worked that year for four months on building a railroad.  In 1942 joined the military and went to fight in  World War II.  Studied at a soldier's school in  Novosibirsk in 1942, and in 1943 fought until the end of the war as a soldier.  Was given several medals for his bravery at the war.

After the war worked at a railway station, until in the 1950s started writing stories for the Chusovsky Worker.  In 1958 became a member of the Soviet Union of Writers, and in 1962 became a professional writer.

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s published books of stories and novels.  From 1979 to 1981 four volumes of his collected works was published by the Molodaya Gvardia publishing house.

In 1991 was the Secretary of the Soviet Union of Writers.  Died in 2001.

Note the boldened title. It is probable that for the Roadblock, team members had to write the word "Chusovsky Worker" because honestly, Anton Chekhov has no direct link to Krasnoyarsk. What I believe would happen for this leg is:

Teams arrive on Krasnoyarsk
RB with speed reading - must form the words Chusovsky Worker
Go to place associated with writer of Chusovsky Worker - Orthodox Church in Ovsyanka
Detour
U-turn afterwards?

I'm going to stick with CHECKOV because it fits the evidence.  There is no E in Chusovsky and not enough letter boards to spell out "Chusovsky Worker"

NoluckBoston

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2009, 08:05:50 PM »
I don' think this helps or solves anything.

When I look at this picture I wonder if part of the task is to slip the panels into a slot at the top of the podium. I looks like there is a slot at the top.

Spelling out, as we assume...
C
H
E
K
H
O
V

Just thinking out loud.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #97 on: March 02, 2009, 08:08:49 PM »
I like that!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline bag

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: March 02, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
I don' think this helps or solves anything.

When I look at this picture I wonder if part of the task is to slip the panels into a slot at the top of the podium. I looks like there is a slot at the top.

Spelling out, as we assume...
C
H
E
K
H
O
V

Just thinking out loud.

I think it's interesting too. It makes me wonder (and it's highly unlikely) if anyone does it backwards. :P
The Incredible Race 2: Currently in Kathmandu, Nepal - Episode 4 is up!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2009, 08:13:35 PM »
I know this post:
http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,17788.1075.html
quotes the most times unreliable wikipedia.
But it does seem like the title  could be attributed to M&M now...

"Doing the double" could mean having to do both "i.e. double" detour tasks?

From wikipedia -

Leg 5 quote's - "They Did The Double On Us!"

Totally sounds like a Mark and Michael quote to me.

From http://www.thefreedictionary.com/double

4. To replace an actor in the actor's absence or in a certain scene.

Sounds like a stuntman term, since a stuntman.. is sometimes a double.. to help the actors/actresses perform dangerous stunts that they cannot do.. and Mark and Michael are highly to be the team using the term?

And they.. i'm speculating that they are refering to a team who look really alike each other?? Cara and Jaime??

Yeah, maybe Mark & Michael got the U-Turn.  Seems like either Christie & Jodi or LaKisha & Jen did it to them, more likely Christie & Jodi.

Belle Book