Author Topic: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)  (Read 95302 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: TAR14 EP4: 'It Was Like a Caravan of Idiots'(Siberia)
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 01:53:01 AM »
The first thought that came into my mind for a blind U-TURN which sends shocks had two scenarios -

1. One team just U-TURNing another team without any reason
- This is a duh-reason, which means it is possible for any team to be U-TURNed by another team next week. No point trying to figure out who.

2. Blind, doesn't even make sense for the decision made to U-TURN the team
- Christie/Jodi, Jaime/Cara came into my mind instantly.. because they have been in the back pack for the past 3 legs.. it doesn't even make much sense to U-TURN them.

And who do i see using the U-TURN? Either Cara and Jaime or Mark and Michael. For some reason, i believe Mark and Micael will use the U-TURN.

Offline CrazyForKahlen

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 07:37:10 AM »
I thought it was most likely the"blind U-Turn" referred to a new twist where teams don't know which team inflicts the U-Turn.

I'm expect this to be an NEL so it doesn't matter much who goes - I could see any of the teams except Amanda/Kris finishing last based on the preview.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 08:00:25 AM »
I thought it was most likely the"blind U-Turn" referred to a new twist where teams don't know which team inflicts the U-Turn.

That's a good one! This might be it! :tup:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 08:25:11 AM »
Typical progression of legs in Amazing Races goes an average of 5 legs before an NEL. However, in this case the timing suggests that a TBC is more likely than a NEL.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 08:41:24 AM »
This looks to be like a diabolical DETOUR. STACK or CONSTRUCT each looks very difficult unless you are a carpenter or a woodsman, which no AR14 racer is. The rodelbahn (presumably) ROADBLOCK looks very easy, so the twist has to be remembering something viewed along the track and then the ability to translate that from Cyrillic into English.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
Teams did not arrive in Brasov until 0920 and they had the RAODBLOCK and DETOUR to contend with. With the exception of Brad/Victoria, they should finsh at between noon and 4pm. After the pitstop, they have about a 3 hour drive in the middle of the night (more during the day time) to get to Bucharest airport between 3am and 7am. The best route Bucharest to Kransnojarsk after 3am is one of these 3 combinations probably taken by the 3 leading teams:

There are 3 choices for the first flight, OA382  OTP ATH 0940 1115 or OA942  OTP ATH 0945 1205 or TK1444  OTP IST 1050 1215
Second flight is SU296 ATH SVO 1310 1730  or TK1415  IST SVO  1335 1740
Third flight for all 3 is SU779 SVO KJA 1055 0540+1
Note: there are also inferior routes through Paris or Frankfurt requiring leaving earlier.

The next best combination, used probably by all other teams, is:
OTP  BUD RO9233 1040 1110
BUD DME MA106 1440 1910
Moscow DME Krasnojarsk (KJA) S7071 2220 0645+1

Note for all routes that transportation systems in Russia are set up to funnel through Moscow(logical in the case of goingn from Buchrest to Krasnojarsk but not very logical for Novosibirsk to Delhi.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:45:43 PM by apskip »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 09:36:42 AM »
The wooden building must have some local significance, otherwise why put the cluebox there? The closest thing I could find is the church pictured in this album: note the log pattern and the streetlamps. The photos aren't tagged, but I think it's in the Ovsyanka vicinity that Chateau found earlier.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 10:20:46 AM »
Good job everyone. nice match Slowhatch  :tup:

Clues:

DURING THE RACE'S FIRST-EVER VISIT TO SIBERIA, TEAMS MUST TRUDGE THROUGH A HARSH RUSSIAN WINTER IN SEARCH OF A FAMOUS PLAYWRIGHT, AND A NEW TWIST LEAVES ONE TEAM FIGHTING FOR THEIR SURVIVAL IN THE GAME, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," MARCH 8 ON CBS

"It Was Like A Caravan Of Idiots" (Siberia) - Teams travel to Siberia, the show's first- ever visit, where a first place team quickly learns how it feels to be last, and when a new twist is revealed, one Team is left scrambling for their survival in the game, on THE AMAZING RACE 14
, Sunday, March 8 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
Typical progression of legs in Amazing Races goes an average of 5 legs before an NEL. However, in this case the timing suggests that a TBC is more likely than a NEL.
But the map tells us there is a pitstop in Krasnoyarsk so?

Offline CrazyForKahlen

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 11:57:59 AM »
And TAR6 had a Leg 4 NEL, so it wouldn't be anything new.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:32 PM »
Good job everyone. nice match Slowhatch  :tup:

Clues:

DURING THE RACE'S FIRST-EVER VISIT TO SIBERIA, TEAMS MUST TRUDGE THROUGH A HARSH RUSSIAN WINTER IN SEARCH OF A FAMOUS PLAYWRIGHT, AND A NEW TWIST LEAVES ONE TEAM FIGHTING FOR THEIR SURVIVAL IN THE GAME, ON "THE AMAZING RACE," MARCH 8 ON CBS

"It Was Like A Caravan Of Idiots" (Siberia) - Teams travel to Siberia, the show's first- ever visit, where a first place team quickly learns how it feels to be last, and when a new twist is revealed, one Team is left scrambling for their survival in the game, on THE AMAZING RACE 14
, Sunday, March 8 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

Slowhatch got it:  Chekhov

Pàvlovič Chéchov, Russian pronunciation: [ɐnˈton ˈpavləvʲɪtɕ ˈtɕɛxəf]) was a Russian short-story writer, playwright and physician, considered to be one of the greatest short-story writers in world literature.

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »

Clues:

new twist being the blind U turn though fighting for survial sounds like they make it

"It Was Like A Caravan Of Idiots" (Siberia) - Teams travel to Siberia, the show's first- ever visit, where a first place team quickly learns how it feels to be last, and when a new twist is revealed, one Team is left scrambling for their survival in the game, on THE AMAZING RACE 14[/b], Sunday, March 8 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.  Phil Keoghan is host.

to take the quote literally "a first place team" in last

Margie/Luke - he looks like he is struggling big time at the roadblock
Mike/Mel
Victor/Tammy - though they experienced this in episode 3

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »
I just have this feeling that Christie and Jodie get U-turned. Noooooo~
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:05 PM »
I would take Mel and Mike in last in this leg.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 12:41:49 PM »
I just have this feeling that Christie and Jodie get U-turned. Noooooo~
Based on the insider clips, there's a little animosity at Team Southwest from the redheads. Women can get catty sometimes.  :meow: :meow: :meow:
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »
Well, thanks to the video.. the first place teams, by flight in Krasnoyarsk are Michael/Mark Christie/Jodi Kisha/Jen. That is IF this is who the clue is referring to and if their is not bunching. We don't know how the Blind U-Turn works. Can the team that chooses to use it have to randomly pull a teams picture? They don't carry their own picture right? Like a game of chance ..
The Munoz brothers don't appear to be U-Turned so?

Amanda & Kris aren't U-Turned either as we see them reading the detour options
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:56:51 PM by puddin »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 01:18:11 PM »
What happened to the blizzard? :groan:

Our teams can arrive in Russia earliest on the 6th, and must leave latest by the 11th.

Krasnojarsk had "light snow showers" from the 9th to the 11th. Clear or cloudy otherwise.
Novosibirsk had "light snow showers" on the 9th and 10th, "light snow" on the 11th. Clear or cloudy otherwise.

Van Munster lying again?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »
Well, thanks to the video.. the first place teams, by flight in Krasnoyarsk are Michael/Mark Christie/Jodi Kisha/Jen. That is IF this is who the clue is referring to and if their is not bunching. We don't know how the Blind U-Turn works. Can the team that chooses to use it have to randomly pull a teams picture? They don't carry their own picture right? Like a game of chance ..

Puddin, don't teams find out they are U-turned after completing one of he detours?

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
The wooden building must have some local significance, otherwise why put the cluebox there? The closest thing I could find is the church pictured in this album: note the log pattern and the streetlamps. The photos aren't tagged, but I think it's in the Ovsyanka vicinity that Chateau found earlier.
I have found the church. Really, I was bugged when I saw that album.  :lol:

http://www.kerpc.ru/hrams/prihodskie
and
http://www.kerpc.ru/prihoddb/images/i96/picview

... which is similar to ...

... note the bell tower in the background of the 2nd picture.

Description:
Манский район. Храм святого Иннокентия Иркутского
Автор: Дмитрий Киселев
Translation: (by Google translate)
Mansky District. Church of St. Innocent of Irkutsk
Author: Dmitry Kiselev

Address:
663090, п. Овсянка, пер. 2-й, 6 «А»

Овсянка = Ovsyanka?
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2009, 01:35:06 PM »

And if you believe everything you read from World Race Productions I have a major bridge to sell you. There are known to be 8 elimination points and 1 finale. That leaves 3 legs for NELS or TBCs. I have been wrong on recent speculations of when a TBC might happen (it hasn't), but I still think it is appopriate to speculate that AR14 will be different.

Offline hakushu8

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
More info, warranting a new post. Sorry for that.

According to this site: http://www.suvenirograd.ru/sights.php?id=650&lang=2

Church of St. Innocent of Irkutsk in Ovsyanka, which consists of a wooden chapel belfry and a total area of 59.7 square kilometers. m, was built in 1994 on the initiative and with the participation of writer Victor Petrovich Astafijeva.

The author - architect Areg Demirhanov.   Other projects of Demirhanov -  a librari and church, created at the request Astafijeva in the Ovsyanka.

I searched for the boldened name, and I went to this site:

http://russianliterature.org/people/a/astafiev.htm

Writer.  Born on  May 1, 1924  in the village of Ovsyanka, in the  Krasnoyarsk  region.   In 1942 graduated from the  Rail School  and worked that year for four months on building a railroad.  In 1942 joined the military and went to fight in  World War II.  Studied at a soldier's school in  Novosibirsk in 1942, and in 1943 fought until the end of the war as a soldier.  Was given several medals for his bravery at the war.

After the war worked at a railway station, until in the 1950s started writing stories for the Chusovsky Worker.  In 1958 became a member of the Soviet Union of Writers, and in 1962 became a professional writer.

Throughout the 1950s and 1960s published books of stories and novels.  From 1979 to 1981 four volumes of his collected works was published by the Molodaya Gvardia publishing house.

In 1991 was the Secretary of the Soviet Union of Writers.  Died in 2001.

Note the boldened title. It is probable that for the Roadblock, team members had to write the word "Chusovsky Worker" because honestly, Anton Chekhov has no direct link to Krasnoyarsk. What I believe would happen for this leg is:

Teams arrive on Krasnoyarsk
RB with speed reading - must form the words Chusovsky Worker
Go to place associated with writer of Chusovsky Worker - Orthodox Church in Ovsyanka
Detour
U-turn afterwards?
just dance
~*~
I don't understand the question, and I won't respond to it.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2009, 01:45:32 PM »
I'm thinking we have too much time for a TBC?

Now if Romania was extended, teams arrive in Krasnojarsk by the morning of the 8th. A day of tasks, then a TBC and an overnight train to Novosibirsk? They'd be checking in to Novosibirsk around afternoon of the 9th.

Add another extended Pit Stop, and teams depart Novosibirsk early morning of the 11th. They're therefore likely to make a flight (departing at 10.55am) that'd have them checking in at Jaipur on the 12th instead of the 13th (and that's with two extended Pit Stops).

NEL? Probably. TBC? Maybe not.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
Huh? It's a long way on the TransSiberian Railway from Krasnojarsk to Irkutsk. I think I got a 15 to 16 hour transit time. However there are 2 nonstops each way but only on Mondays:

KJA IKT 7B517 0810 0945
KJA IKT FV577 1100 1345

and one in the return direction only on a Saturday IKT KJA 7B518 1105 1145 and one in the return direction only on a Monday IKT KJA  FV578 1540 1635.

This does not mesh well with the potential arrival of teams in Krasnojarsk on Saturday Nov. 8.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:42:41 PM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:28 PM »

Puddin, don't teams find out they are U-turned after completing one of he detours?
Yeahthatsright  :lol:  :groan:

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2009, 01:54:40 PM »
Huh? It's a long way on the TransSiberian Railway from Krasnojarsk to Irkutsk. I think I got a 15 to 16 hour transit time.

It would be 15-16h if you're headed to Irkutsk, but you'd be lost in Siberia, Apskip! :lol:

It's around 12h from Krasnojarsk to Novosibirsk, for example 6.26pm to 6.47am the next day.

So, yeah. Probably too much time for a TBC.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:59:43 PM by Neobie »