Author Topic: American Idol 8: First 12 of 36 Perform! Give your takes!  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
American Idol 8: First 12 of 36 Perform! Give your takes!
« on: February 18, 2009, 10:44:47 AM »
Vote in the poll, you can pick 3 people whom you think will go into the next round!

First off i would like to say.. Kara is an impressive judge! I relate to what she says so much better than Randy and Paula. She comes somewhere between Simon and Paula.. where Simon always doesn't give contestant a break and be harsh to them and Paula always nice and doesn't know the right things to tell the contestant.. i have to say i'm deeply impressed by Kara. She gives the right opinions, and she knows when to praise the contestants.. and she also knows when to criticise them when need be. I think people are going to really like her. Thank God to Idol for getting her onto the show. Love her comments and most of the time i had to agree with her. Even Simon had to say she agree with Kara sometime or another!

Secondly, i think there are quite a number of good singers in this group and i seriously don't think there's just enough spot for everyone to make it through!! :(

Jackie Tohn – A Little Less Conversation by Elvis Presley
I thought her vocals were rough and i didn't enjoy the performance as much as i thought i would. I think it was a good show opener, but too bad there were just so many good singers around.. she'll not make it into the top 12.

Ricky Braddy – Song For You by Leon Russell
I loved it, although Simon said he lacked star quality and charisma, but David A lacked that (maybe until now too).. and i think America love his vocals and i thought his voice was sincere and nice to hear. I seriously, seriously hope he made it through. And it's a pity producers might just have killed his shot at making it to the top 12 by giving him so little screentime!

Alexis Grace – Never Loved a Man by Aretha Franklin
I hope she makes it to the next round. Natural performer, love her real-ness and she's awesome!

Brent Keith – Hicktown by Jason Aldean
It was a wrong song. Country? Nono for an impression maker. He just blew his chances.

Stevie Wright – You Belong to Me by Taylor Swift
It was awful.

Anoop Desai – Angel of Mine by Monica
I agree that he has a huge likability factor, but i felt it was a rather safe choice of song and i think he might make it through as the contestant with the third highest number of votes. I believe he has a face which all of us can remember, something good for a popularity contest like AI. I think he has a huge chance of making the top 12, but not enough to win the competition.

Casey Carlson – Every Little Thing She Does is Magic by The Police
It was awful as well.

Michael Sarver – I Don’t Wanna Be by Gavin DeGraw
Because of what Simon said, he might be a surprise contestant getting into the top 12 with the 3rd highest number of votes. But i hope he doesn't.. because he blew his chances last night. Gotta give him another shot at wildcard round though!

Anne Marie Boskovich – Natural Woman by Aretha Franklin
She can sing, but the song was too big for her. I didn't squirm as much as when Casey and Stevie sang though.

Stephen Fowler – Rock With You by Michael Jackson
I was hoping he would do what he couldn't do in the hollywood solo performance as well! I think he blew ALL his chances and i will be certainly surprise if the judges give him another shot at the wildcard.

Tatiana del Toro – Saving All My Love For You by Whitney Houston
You can't say i was not impressed by Tatiana. She even placed herself under the top group of contestants in group one who can ACTUALLY sing. Too bad Tatiana, you gave viewers such a BAD impression that now only VFTW can save you. BUT, i don't think they will be very impress with your new demure style.. and since she can actually sing, i don't mind if she does make it to the top 12.. but no, i hope she doesn't because there are wayyyyy better singers around. But i think she'll get another shot at wildcard if she doesn't make it tomorrow.

Danny Gokey – Hero by Mariah Carey
Best singer of the night, but i wasn't WOWed like what Simon said. It was good, but not a spectacular performance. Like i've said in another thread, there is something that is just missing from him when i watch him perform. Maybe it's that smug look on his face that i don't like. He may be a good singer, but he won't win. He just lacks that likability factor, big time. But i do hope he gets into top 12 though!

With that said, predictions predictions!!

Who i hope will be in TOP 12 -
1. Danny Gokey (Top Male)
2. Alexis Grace (Top Female)
3. Ricky Braddy (Top 3 vote)

Who i think America will vote for (POLL ABOVE) -
3. Toss up between Michael Sarver OR Anoop Desai
I believe it could just be Michael Sarver, just because Simon actually wanted people to vote for him.

Who i hope will get another shot at wildcard round IF they don't make it -
1. Ricky Braddy
2. Alexis Grace
3. Anoop Desai
4. Michael Sarver
5. Tatiana del Toro (I know! But she's one of the better singers last night!)
6. Danny Gokey

And finally, my ranking for last night performance -
1. Ricky Braddy
2. Danny Gokey
3. Alexis Grace
4. Anoop Desai
5. Michael Sarver
6. Tatiana del Toro
7. Jackie Tohn
8. Anne Marie Boskovich
9. Brent Keith
10. Casey Carlson
11. Stephen Fowler
12. Stevie Wright

Share with us what you think on last night performances!

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: American Idol 8: First 12 of 36 Perform! Give your takes!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
ty tyty joab i voted for ricky for an hr last night. i love leon russell and i though he did a good job. and he is from a little town like 30 mins from me ,it is just over the nc border from va and realy close to va beach where i live.in fact chris richardson (who paula mentioned last night yea) lives even closer than i do .. all though i went to chris myspace and he has changed where he lives to va beach, it was chesapeake va.. i am so excitd for this season of idol felica barton woh replaced joann p lives in va beach.. i will b a voteing machine this yr.. if they make it to top 12.. last night was not good there were to many nerves going on i think danny was great he is use to leading worship in his church so he had an advantage of bing in front of ppl every week, it realy helps i use to b on a worship team and the more u do it the easer it is , some of the greatest singers ever have stage fright.. it is sceary.. felica also said she leads worship at her church and there is a yoou tub of her singing at the beach so she will do well on the idol stage..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 11:14:12 AM »
I won't go into detail of each performer, cos to sum it all up, most of the performances were either forgettable, too safe, or plain disastrous. The girls totally did not make an impression, other than Alexis, who genuinely sings well and as the judges said, has a tremendous soul. The next Kelly Clarkson? We'll see. Tatiana stood out as well, but that's probably due to her "Drama Queen" image. I wasn't impressed by her performance one bit, and I do hope she doesn't make it through. As for the rest of the girls, I can't really be bothered to remember them cos not one of the rest gave a commendable performance.

For the guys, I can't say that they were notches above the girls, but some of them already win in the likeability factor. Non-stellar vocals perhaps, but that likeability factor could well get them into the top 12. Speaking of the top 12, I really hope that Danny makes it through! By a mile, my favourite performance of the night. Simon might not have thought it fantastic, but I was just so moved by his performance in a personal way.

Another contestant that did well was Ricky. But the one thing I'm worried about is he simply doesn't stand out. Like what Simon said, he's a shy, good singer. And the fact that he was the second on stage will probably cause half of America to already forget him by the time half the show was over. Take myself, after his performance, I was impressed and really hoped that he'd get through. But few more perormances down, I actually kinda forgot about him. As much as he deserves a spot in the top 12, it'll be a tough one. But, let's pray!

The rest of the guys weren't awesome, but some of them are really likeable and I wouldn't be surprised if they get through based on that.

Who I hope will get in: Alexis, Danny, Ricky

Who I think will get in: Alexis, Danny, Michael

My ranking:
1. Danny Gokey
2. Ricky Braddy
3. Alexis Grace
4. Michael Sarver
5. Anoop Desai
6. Erm, forget it, I can't remember much of the rest lol.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »
yea another ricky fan :jumpy: :jumpy: they had is friends and family on the local news!!! i voted for him for like 1 hr or maby more... if he gets in him or felica barton i am going to have to get unlimeted texting...
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline pledge

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
I'm hoping the first three on their way to the final 12 are
Alexis, Danny and Michael.  There are a couple more that
right now I would like to see as Wild Cards.

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
i just got word that dannys line was blown up last night..
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:17 PM »
Thanks for the recap Joab!  :hearts:

i just got word that dannys line was blown up last night..

I'm not surprised, I couldn't get through for a long time, probably at least an hour after voting began before I could vote for Danny. I used my time to vote for Alexis, Anoop, Michael. I also voted for Ricky.

This was a tough night because I was hoping that Ann Marie would do better and Tatiana would be worse. LOL

I agree with the other opinions here, it wasn't the best night for most of the contestants and some of them really blew it, Stephen Fowler for one. I felt bad for him because he has potential. I also like Brent Keith but I don't think he's going to make the top 12 this year.

The ones I think will be the top three votes tonight are:

1: Danny Gokey
2: Alexis Grace
3: Ricky Braddy (Could be Anoop Desai though depending on how America voted.)

If I could have a fourth vote it would be for Michael Sarver. I'm hoping that all five I've named make it to the top 12.

One comment about Tatiana, she can sing and did OK last night. She was holding back as best she could with her maniacal and inappropriate laughing, even when Tara and Paula tried to entice her to entertain us.  :funny:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
The ones I think will be the top three votes tonight are:

1: Danny Gokey
2: Alexis Grace
3: Ricky Braddy (Could be Anoop Desai though depending on how America voted.)

If I could have a fourth vote it would be for Michael Sarver. I'm hoping that all five I've named make it to the top 12.

One comment about Tatiana, she can sing and did OK last night. She was holding back as best she could with her maniacal and inappropriate laughing, even when Tara and Paula tried to entice her to entertain us.  :funny:

Exactly! Let's hope all the good people are not just in group one.. imagine we only have like 2 people who can sing in the rest of the groups. It would have been disastrous and unfair to the people in the first group! I'm really hoping Ricky, Danny and Alexis makes it. *fingers crossed*

Michael Sarver is OKAY. But the thing is why just vote him into the top 12 for the sake of it. He won't even win. At least people like Ricky might surprise us with a Clay F2?

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 10:37:20 PM »
Who i think America will vote for (POLL ABOVE) -
3. Toss up between Michael Sarver OR Anoop Desai
I believe it could just be Michael Sarver, just because Simon actually wanted people to vote for him.

Absolutely correct. Yawns. I'm quite disappointed with a Michael in the top 12 spot, because Ricky is so much better a singer. But there's always a wildcard round and we all know that you don't need to win the competition to make it bigger than some of the winners. *cough Jennifer Hudson cough*

If there's 4 to be given another chance at wildcard i'm thinking it should be Anoop, Ricky, Tatiana and Anne Marie Boskovich.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:12 PM »
And our pollers got the top 3 too. :funny:

Offline ImANewUser

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:10:24 AM »
Well, I gotta say that I mostly agree with the sentiments of the people. For me, it was clear that it was Danny, Michael, Alexis, Anoop, Ricky & Tatiana (as much as I hate it) were the better singers. I just didn't see Ann Marie, Casey, Stephen, Jackie or Stevie making it to the Top 12 after that performance.
I'm baaaaaack!

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 10:01:17 AM »
 :'( ricky did not make it.. joab r they going to have a wild card round it sounded like it wasthe end of the road for the contestants not picked??? i am confused :groan:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 10:15:12 AM »
RFF members did get it right! I was a little surprised that Michael did better than Anoop and much better than Rick given the praise heaped on him. (But only slightly shocked because Michael has an easy way about him and he's extremely likeable. )  ;)

It looks like we will have a great AI this year. I will be happy if the top 12 really are good and and the best will become obvious as we lose the others along the way.

Tory, he has an excellent chance to come back with the wild card round. All the judges predict a guy will win this year and it sure looks like that will be true.

We'll be picking the top 9 and the wild card show will pick the other 3. (Somehow..)
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 11:12:37 AM »
No surprises about the results, I'm actually pretty pleased, but I really hope that Ricky gets picked through the Wild Card. He's an awesome singer and seems like a really nice guy. Judges, give him a chance! Big YAY to Danny and Alexis getting through, rather happy that Michael got through, hope he'll do better during the subsequent rounds.

They didn't announce the top female/male did they? But I guess it's pretty obvious lol.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`