Author Topic: Phil's Blog for TAR14  (Read 15015 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Phil's Blog for TAR14
« on: February 16, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »
Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 1
Feb 16, 2009, 12:01 AM | by Phil Keoghan

Categories: Reality TV, Television, Things That Are Awesome!

What can I say? Season 14 is officially under way. It's actually pretty crazy to write season 14. I think we’ve really outdone ourselves this time around and also performed some spring-cleaning, if you will. We freshened up the graphics, the music, the maps, and we're letting the show breathe a little more when we have the opportunity to show off the spectacular places that we travel to each week. Maybe a little less airport process and a little more postcard moments.

Love our cast...so diverse and colorful, including our first-ever deaf contestant, a pair of Harvard grads, a carpenter, a jockey, former NFL cheerleaders, a Hollywood screenwriter and even a gay rights activist/minister. Of course, the other big stars of the show are the locations, including first-ever stops in Siberia and Romania. Because we never repeat ourselves by going back to the same locations, we have endless opportunities to keep it fresh. We have tons of drama, adventure and even a few occasions where I was forced to mediate several Mat meltdowns.

The Joint Forces in Los Alamitos, Calif. came out in full force to support us with two massive military helicopters. While flying into the start of the race, the teams were treated to a couple of spectacular rainbows. A good sign that we had a golden opportunity to create another Amazing season.

As always, the adrenaline started pumping right from the start. The teams have been waiting in anticipation for months or, in the case of Luke, who has been an avid fan since season 1, years. They all have a ton of built-up energy and they're eager to start the race. As I always say, the world is waiting for you.

Right out of the starting block our oldest racer, Mel White, suffers a groin injury. Not a great way to start the race, but something tells me he's not going to throw in the jock strap just yet. When it comes to comedy, the Whites are going to be the kings this season.

People ask me if I ever grow tired of racing around the world with the teams. But how could I when everything is so unique every time we make the journey. This isn't like going to the same old studio where you can guarantee 69 degrees and perfect weather. Just like the teams, we have to be ready for anything.

Speaking of unpredictable, Switzerland took us to a whole new level of mayhem. You know you're capturing classic television moments when all around you people are yelling out "watch out for the flying cheese." The locals lost it. The teams certainly lost it. And to be perfectly honest with you, no one in production knew what might happen next. Thank goodness for those fences or who knows where those cheese bombs might have ended up.

Personally there are many special moments that I will treasure when I look back on my time hosting The Amazing Race: Gus during season 6 when he pays tribute to his ancestors; Ian from Season 3 remembering his time in Vietnam. But being able to sign to Margie and Luke that they were team #1 on the first leg and knowing how much it meant to him makes this one of those moments I will never forget.

more here .....

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/phil-keoghan-bl.html
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:33:21 PM by puddin »

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: Phil's Blog for TAR14
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:58:29 AM »
But being able to sign to Margie and Luke that they were team #1 on the first leg and knowing how much it meant to him makes this one of those moments I will never forget.

:hearts:

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 11:28:39 AM »
The website wouldn't load for me.  :duno:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
The website wouldn't load for me.  :duno:
It went down  (:;)

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:17 AM »
works for me

Offline redwings8831

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
I edited my post and put the whole blog up in case ew goes down again.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 06:28:34 PM »
I love Phil, and the signing was awesome!

But:

Because we never repeat ourselves by going back to the same locations

Jaipur? ???

And
I was forced to mediate several Mat meltdowns.
   :jam:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »

But it doesn't seem like this season teams will give Phil a bad job to do. Unless Amanda and Kris decides to turn on each other, Steve decides to abuse Linda for losing the race for them.. Brad and Victoria kill each other for their elimination??

I can't see any teams having a possible meltdown.. Hmmm~ :duno:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:28:44 PM »
It's early yet. Just wait as the stress level gets higher.
Just here to visit.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 05:24:29 PM »
I'm glad Phil is blogging about the season  :yess:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »
I'm glad for Phil anything ,,,,,,,,, :)

Offline Bathfizzy

• RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:48:31 PM »
Thanks Puddin for posting the blog.  It is always nice to know what Phil is thinking about.  I loved it when he signed to Luke and his mom that they were team number 1.  I enjoyed the scenery of Switzerland.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 11:23:34 PM »
I can't say enough about Phil's awesomeness! For reals! What would the race be without him? I'm thankful to EW for asking him to blog. I mean Jeff Probst been doing it so why not Phil?
I loved the signing too BathFizzy and of course the famous browsie  :hearts:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 11:40:37 PM »
Phil's sign = LOVE
Phil's eyebrow = LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He better get nominated for best host this year!! (:;)

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 03:12:38 AM »
Wow, mat meltdowns. Perhaps Amanda and Kris, Tammy and Victor, Linda and Steve, or Cara and Jaime. Lol.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 10:29:56 AM »
Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 2
Feb 23, 2009, 12:01 AM | by Phil Keoghan

One of the biggest challenges we face planning the race is dealing with unpredictable weather. Paragliding is such a fantastic challenge for a place like Germany, but of course, when you’re dangling from a few strings and a big piece of nylon it’s a good idea to make sure you only launch when the experts tell you conditions are absolutely perfect. I actually had my first solo flight when I was on a shoot in Chile and we had to wait a couple of days for the right weather...not an option when you are running a race in real time.

Of course, if Race was set in a studio we wouldn’t have to factor in the weather but we also wouldn’t have the great moment that occurred when Mel was able to soar over other teams who decided to run down the mountain instead of waiting for the right weather. Mel’s ongoing groin injury forced that decision, and this time it paid off big time. There were a lot of cell phones going off between production members when we all realized we had captured another great game changer. As I travel along the course I pick up key story points and then rely on event producers to call them in to me once I’m at the mat. Sometimes geography prevents those calls from getting through but information always makes its way to the mat as more and more teams and production members arrive.

The long trail down from the 6,000-foot mountain really took its toll on the other teams. Linda became completely overwhelmed when she took a few too many wrong turns and found herself slipping into last place. In the end, Steve and Linda were never able to recover. Their emotional finish continued well into the night as a number of us tried to comfort them at the pit stop. Don’t forget we have only been on the go now for a few days and the realization that it’s all over is a lot to take. Teams can’t help but go back through the day and talk about the what-ifs.

I’m not sure if you’re ever tried a Segway but they are awesome. I love seeing them being used in more and more practical applications, police force, airport personal, etc. I met a guy who was confined to a wheelchair the other day and he said being able to move while standing up has completely changed his whole mindset. I digress…so the teams get the chance to ride a two-mile obstacle course and then more mayhem. Why is it that pies in the face always get a laugh? Not so funny for Margie and Luke, who got seriously creamed for longer than any one, and so funny for me when they arrived at the mat covered in sour smelling cream! Just be thankful that you didn’t have to smell the scent of racer's sweat mixed with cherry and stale cream.

How many times have we seen a team stumble because of a simple clue? Fourteen races and it’s still happening. Christie and Jodi found themselves completely flummoxed as they aimlessly picked up random pieces of wood hoping they would find their next clue. It was a tough leg for them.

We are building up to a mat meltdown. Stay tuned!

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/02/phil-keoghan--1.html?xid=rss-popwatch-Phil%20Keoghan%20blogs%20'The%20Amazing%20Race':%20episode%202

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 10:35:54 AM »
Mat Meltdown prediction = Kisha and Jen

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »
I say it's Tammy & Victor.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »
I say it's Tammy & Victor.

I expect meltdowns to be intense quarrelling from both party. Victor is too much a nice guy to yell/scream at Tammy i believe. When Tammy told him to stop singing, he even apologized for annoying her.

Kisha and Jen on the other hand... :funny:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
From the previews, Tammy was crying so I really think it's going to be her and Victor.
Just here to visit.

Offline Ruth

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • With all your heart!
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2009, 10:34:52 AM »
Maybe an unexpected mat meltdown, say, Amanda and Kris? That'll be interesting lol.
TAR 26: Hayley and Blair` Mike and Rochelle` Jelani and Jenny`
Survivor 30: Jenn` Joe` Hali` Sierra`
AI 14: Jax` Clark` Joey`

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 01:05:31 PM »
I love Phil, and the signing was awesome!

But:

Because we never repeat ourselves by going back to the same locations

Jaipur? ???

And
   :jam:

I think that meltdowns involving Tammy and Victor and Kisha and Jen are probable.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 12:55:31 AM »
Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 3
Mar 2, 2009, 12:01 AM | by Phil Keoghan

Categories: Reality TV, Television, Things That Are Awesome!

You know you have another great episode when you've got quotes like these:

I personally don't want to see you in a unitard. That's just not sexy.
I'm not wearing that girl's leotard.
I don't want to stay here tonight. It's kind of freaky.
I want my frickin' medal.
I think your brain just froze.
Gotta keep our eye out for Dracula.
Why are we driving on the sidewalk?
Look, we're doing so great.
Tell me when we're going to stop.
My Superwoman leotard is full of poop.
Go ahead. Scare me. I don't even care.
We're alive and that's what matters.

You know that feeling you get when you're being chased in a dream and you can't seem to run fast enough? Well it's a feeling many of us in production get during the Race. The reality is it's not a dream, we are being chased...all the time. I'm constantly getting calls from my colleagues making sure I'm heading to the next location to stay slightly ahead of the teams at each event. The challenge is maximizing my time so I can shoot something for my behind-the-scenes diaries. There's nothing worse than rushing away from a great location and missing out on sharing something cool. Check out my second diary and you'll see what I'm talking about. I really wanted to hang with those paragliders, but we got word teams were arriving at the bottom of the mountain. As a matter of fact, when I got down to my car I saw a couple of teams running up to the gondola. I always keep myself out of sight just so they don't get the feeling they are on the right track.

The one spot I was really keen to hang at during last night's leg was Olympic gold medalist Nadia Comaneci's old gym. Looks like we've all been saying Nadia's last name incorrectly.  Coman-nich, not Coman-nichi. Grown men in tights, mmmm, there is something very wrong with that. Clearly some of the racers agreed "...I personally don't want to see you in a unitard. That's just not sexy." "...I’m not wearing that girl's leotard."

Of course, we would never let a piece of Lycra get in the way of good television. Naturally we got a few raised eyebrows from the locals, a good indication we are creating some water-cooler moments. Reminds me of a great Robin Williams quote, "...so tight you can tell what religion they are." I think he said it at one of his "Live at the Met" concerts.

Golden rule on the Race: Be very careful about isolating yourself from other teams when booking flights...especially flights with tight connections. Tammy and Victor were far enough ahead that they could fall back with the other teams on a later flight but Brad and Victoria let everyone get away from them while they stressed out in another country.

Another good rule of thumb: Listen to your teammate. On paper, Tammy and Victor are one of the smartest teams we've had on the race, and yet they made a huge blunder by aimlessly climbing a mountain while following the wrong markers. Victor simply refused to listen to Tammy. He'll have to change his approach pretty quickly if they want to stay in this race.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/phil-keoghan-bl.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Phil's Blog for TAR14 episode 4
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
Phil Keoghan blogs 'The Amazing Race': episode 4
Mar 9, 2009, 07:15 AM | by Phil Keoghan

Luke and Margie's decision to use the U-turn really got some reaction. Is it dirty to use an element of the game? Is the idea that racers should make choices that keep them in the good books with everyone or should they simply do what they can to beat out teams they think are a threat?

From my point of view, I like that people are prepared to stir things up while following the rules. Certainly it makes for great content. Sad that Amanda and Kris have gone. I think they had the potential to stir things up down the track.

Writing this blog sure has increased the number of Race questions I have been getting. Clearly it is impossible to please everyone or answer every single question but I thought I would try and address a few. Beware...some of you may say, "Come on Phil, I know that!"  For those of you who do, I apologize.

Firstly, when it comes to pronouncing the various location names etc. people wonder how we arrive at making certain choices. The fact is at times we really get stumped and there have been a number of extended phone calls checking and rechecking the phonetic way to say a certain word with local producers, on the computer and with references gathered by those in production. In general we try and go with what people know or what the locals use. That said, sometimes locals themselves will give us many different options. I like to record some of the tougher location names with a local on camera for reference. If you saw my video diary at the gym in Romania you will have heard one of the ways Comaneci was pronounced. Checking with other locals I heard it the way we all know it and a few other versions too. In the end we stuck with the most common use. Pronounciation can be completely subjective. I had many people tell me I say Keoghan wrong.

Yes, teams do have to buy 4 tickets at airports to cover their crew. Since we don't see the crew we don't have them on camera saying 4, just 2 for the 2 you can see. Essentially, if there are not 4 seats the team can't go. There are lots of process things that obviously wouldn't make great TV. For instance, there has to be releases for each person on camera, location releases, lots of things that take a lot of time but things that we have to do as part of making the show.

As far as teams going off track, one of the biggest challenges is keeping crews loaded with tapes and batteries. When a team goes off into the wild like Tammy and Victor did, tape and battery power become a real issue especially when the crew has no idea how long they're going to be out. Now when there's no cell service to call in support...well you get the picture. The crew is already heavily loaded with gear (self sufficient) so those extra miles really take a toll on them.

While lost teams can make for good TV, it really can make life challenging for all of us. Crews work a different team each leg so when things get really spread out that can really make the turnaround tough. When I first started in television I trained as a film camera assistant. Over the years I have continued to shoot, and being able to operate is something that has come in really handy over the years. One of the toughest things about shooting is having a camera on your shoulder for an extended period. Broadcast cameras weigh anywhere from 20-30 pounds. That kind of weight in a backpack is one thing but when it is high up on a shoulder on one side of your body hour after hour, believe me, it really takes some effort. The guys on our show are definitely on the tough side and deserve huge respect.

Absolutely agree with those who have asked about other Race seasons on DVD. I have shared my opinion with a number of people at CBS. In the end I think the fans will have to lobby in numbers. I obviously don't have the pull in that department.

Kransnoyark was cold but next week we will take cold to a whole new level with some bare flesh and pixilation!

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/03/phil-keoghan--1.html