Author Topic: Comments and Questions for the Racers  (Read 231975 times)

Offline redskevin88

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Comments and Questions for the Racers
« Reply #200 on: December 07, 2009, 02:22:33 AM »
To the racers:

Thank you so much for being willing to share your experiences with fans of the show.

Do the clues tell you that you can leave your stuff sometimes and production will pick it up for you? This has been a point that has confused me through many seasons.  For example, DanDrew left their shoes and had to buy new ones, but then, like in Amsterdam this season, the racers left their stuff at the bike/golf thing and checked in without their bags.

I'm not a racer... but I know in AR12, the Croatia leg their bags were confiscated by production and in most cases, running to the pit stop, they could leave their bags near the pit stop, and then make a run for it. I don't know about the Holland leg though...

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #201 on: December 11, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »
A question for TAR 15 racers: Was Leg 7 ever supposed to be a non-elimination leg?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
A question for TAR 15 racers: Was Leg 7 ever supposed to be a non-elimination leg?

Or whether the first leg was ever meant to be a NEL to save the only all-female team in the race, Maria and Tiffany.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2009, 12:30:04 AM »
I think they were, because on all of the NEL legs there was a luck task directly before getting to the Pit Stop.

Leg 1: Wasabi Roulette
Leg 8: Giant Haybales of Doom
Leg 10: Find the tiny violin.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #204 on: December 15, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
I have a question for any racer who might happen to read this:

What did you find more difficult: communicating with locals OR booking flights? :cmas5
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #205 on: December 15, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »

Or whether the first leg was ever meant to be a NEL to save the only all-female team in the race, Maria and Tiffany.

I'm sure that one was meant to be a non-elimination (because it was ridiculously short), but Leg 7 was kind of sketchy, so that's why I ask.

But if I ever find out that they have placed arbitrary non-elims to save certain teams, I will be furious! A big no-no. :cmas12
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #206 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:51 AM »

I'm sure that one was meant to be a non-elimination (because it was ridiculously short), but Leg 7 was kind of sketchy, so that's why I ask.

But if I ever find out that they have placed arbitrary non-elims to save certain teams, I will be furious! A big no-no. :cmas12

What i didn't understand was, if there was meant to be a first leg NEL, why did they even surprisingly eliminate a team at the starting line. It was evil and i didn't like it, although it added loads of drama to the show!!! :cmas15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #207 on: December 16, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
Phil already answered this...they wanted to shake things up.

I HATED it.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #208 on: December 16, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »

I HATED it.

Me too. No team should be eliminated that early. But even without the surprise elim, there still should have been a non-elim on Leg 1!

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #209 on: December 17, 2009, 01:49:05 AM »

I HATED it.

Me too. No team should be eliminated that early. But even without the surprise elim, there still should have been a non-elim on Leg 1!

I loved the drama that it added, but I also hated it. :eww

I hoped that whoever was eliminated (obviously Eric & Lisa) would get to run on TAR16 instead. No such luck... :suicide :naughty:

(Off topic, but this is now my favorite smiley :naughty:)

Offline Mister RC

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • Nothing is more valid than my avatar. JMO
    • Follow Me Please!
« Reply #210 on: December 17, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
Count me in on really disliking that Leg 1 twist.  It wasn't a big deal since I really didn't adore Eric & Lisa.  However, as far as the NEL at the end of that first leg, no thanks!  That's probably another reason why I got over the early elimination: at least someone left at that first leg.  Of course, it was a "special" 2-hour episode, with Garrett & Jessica leaving.  However, as it wasn't like seasons 6-9, it was a 2-in-1 evening.  Back to that first leg: you have to have someone leaving.  You really want to make the contestants race like they want to be there, race like they want to win $1 Million.  Having someone go at the end helps scare the teams into racing the best that they can.  Of course you don't want to overdue it (which is why I dislike the RBs showing up in the first leg as of late), but there's the cost factor as well.  Ditto for Leg 2.  Later on is when the NEL become relevant (as no one is as fit as they were earlier).

Anyway, I'll have to save the rest for a more appropriate thread.  As for the following:

I forgot to ask this.  Rather, I didn't get a chance to; while in New York they were doing their own thing.  Most of them (including Tiffany) showed up for TARcon, but I was doing my own thing.  Given how easy Gary & Matt's speed bump was, I think that may have been a NEL, with two straight boots to follow.  However, given how much was left in the race, added to having Phil come out during the detour, I think it was.  Not that anyone can easily recover from a 24-hour penalty, but there was a team early in the series that fell a day behind everyone else, so anything is possible.
Every reality star is someone's favorite

Winning isn't everything, but it isn't considered nothing either. Otherwise, there wouldn't be a tribal council, a pit-stop, a boardroom, dimming of the lights, and so on

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2009, 12:13:14 AM »
The Speed Bump on Leg 9 did seem like a last-minute thing. It was really simple. But then again, all Speed Bumps lately have been.

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2009, 05:22:54 AM »
The Speed Bump on Leg 9 did seem like a last-minute thing. It was really simple. But then again, all Speed Bumps lately have been.
I totally agree with that. Easier than  :pedaler:

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Reality show Freak :)
« Reply #213 on: December 22, 2009, 06:38:48 PM »
Just a question.. Which racer from Season 15 come here and chat?? Hope the poker godness come and mingle with us.. :)  :cmas9
Coming Soon Autowil Amazing Race 1 - 2023....

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #214 on: December 22, 2009, 06:44:00 PM »

I HATED it.

Maybe that why Eric & Lisa din join them to sequesterville.. Poor Eric & Lisa.. I dun have chance to see u all at finish line.. :(

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #215 on: December 22, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
In response to the whether legs can be changed to NELs or not, the one word, two sentence answer is this:
No. Like other game shows produced in the US, TAR has to have to have game rules that cannot be changed during filming in compliance with regulations of the US Federal Communications Commission. These rules date back to the 1950s, when one such show was found to have been fixed.
(This was the basis for the movie Quiz Show (1994).
-- theschnauzers

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #216 on: December 22, 2009, 10:03:13 PM »
Although I do understand that there are different rules for "reality" shows than "game" shows, I remember reading discussions about this somewhere after airplanegate.  I think this may be a grey area that we may never know the exact answer to, thank goodness.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline autowil

• From St. Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #217 on: December 22, 2009, 10:21:24 PM »
I do think the NEL is fixed but changed due to some situation and not change to save the team.. I dun think the producer is so Biased towards the team and make it NEL... People will complain..

Whatever is it.. We are just the audience and so we respect what the producer doing.. There is nothing we can do about it.. Ok is a bit Off.. Let get back to the normal schedule, and give this thread for the racer to answer the question.. :)

Offline theschnauzers

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • An original TARfly
« Reply #218 on: December 22, 2009, 10:57:32 PM »
Not all reality shows are subject to the FCC game show rules, just those that offer winners (of a leg, or a race) a prize with monetary value.

The way I understand the rules' application, the designation of a leg as "non-elimination" is done before filming even begins, and cannot be changed. The location of a whole leg or of the tasks can be changed to meet unexpected circumstances; i.e., several hurricanes affected filming of TAR Family Edition (2005, which had 28 named storms in the Atlantic basin which includes the Caribbean Sea and the Gulf of Mexico); a task in Rio in TAR 2 had to be moved when the original location became generally known and a new location had to be set up in short notice (it was the task that directed teams to a nightclub to retrieve a clue from one of the dancers), as well as the sandstorm that disrupted the Sahara pitstop during the Tunisia leg of TAR 1.) But none of those involved a change in which legs were NEL.

fixed typo
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:05:45 AM by theschnauzers »
-- theschnauzers

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #219 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:15 AM »
After the Harris Commission took up the quiz show scandals, the laws that were passed addressed a "bona fide contest of intellectual knowledge or intellectual skill" (see here); reality tv as we know it wasn't even on the horizon. The law hasn't changed much over the years. This document, an FOIA request about game show cheating, includes an interesting reply:
Section 73.1216 of the Commission's rules governs the broadcast of licensee-conducted contests, Le.,  a contest conducted by an
FCC-licensed station in  which a prize is offered 'to members of the public.'  Since the show 'Big Brother' is  conducted by a network
programmer (vs. an  FCC-licensed station) and does not offer a prize to members of the public, it is not regulated  by the FCC.
A "game show" in which 'selected contestants' (vs. 'members of the public') participate is governed by Section 509 of Title 47 of the
United States Code (USC), and  regulated  by the Department of Justice.  However 'Big Brother' does not appear to  meet the
definition of a "game show."  Rather,  it is  a 'for entertainment only' program, somewhat similar to professional wrestling in that it is a
pseudo-contest in which the outcome is fully, or in some measure, predetermined.
And in fact, when it was discovered that the show Manhunt was rigged (RNO has some articles about it), the producers and Paramount suffered only embarrassment.
To keep it on-topic, ask a racer at the next tarcon if they ever saw any Fed overseers.

Offline TARhippie

• Amazing Racers
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Not So Newbie
  • Married Beekeeper
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2010, 12:32:20 AM »
a & a from TAR 13 here

TAR is pretty much "what you see in what you get". Yes, production mistakes are made but by and large it is an incredibly straight show. No one is going to say "Run by here again, I didn't get that shot" or something else just as silly. It is just to complex logistically to change a leg in favor of a team. I think the industry knows this and that is why TAR has every Emmy for best reality competition. It is a real competition. We didn't see, and talking with other racers they didn't witness, anything that would have changed the leg results. That is our story and we are sticking to it.  ;)

so now go back to what RFF is so good at: Who is Where, and When did they get there.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2010, 01:00:57 AM »
Anita and Arthur!! :hearts:

Happy New Year, guys!! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2010, 03:41:02 AM »
YO Anita and Arthur!!  :jumpy: :jumpy:! Welcome to the New Year!!  :hearts: :hearts:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:04:49 AM by puddin »

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
a & a from TAR 13 here

TAR is pretty much "what you see in what you get". Yes, production mistakes are made but by and large it is an incredibly straight show. No one is going to say "Run by here again, I didn't get that shot" or something else just as silly. It is just to complex logistically to change a leg in favor of a team. I think the industry knows this and that is why TAR has every Emmy for best reality competition. It is a real competition. We didn't see, and talking with other racers they didn't witness, anything that would have changed the leg results. That is our story and we are sticking to it.  ;)

so now go back to what RFF is so good at: Who is Where, and When did they get there.

Thanks Anita & Arthur! :hearts:

Nice to know it isn't a rigged race! :lol:

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2010, 05:39:54 PM »
Happy New Year Anita & Arthur!

You guys are awesome! :hearts: