Author Topic: Episode 2 open discussion/updates/commentary  (Read 55125 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Episode 2 open discussion/updates/commentary
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
Not a bad episode, but nowhere near the level of last week's.  And in many ways it did remind me of the german leg in Season 9 but with a better roadblock (thank god no gnomes so far).

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »
It appears Margie & Luke and Jaime & Cara have a loose alliance. He did help them and they did reciprocate, but I don't think this is an official alliance. I'm early in my recap so I'll see if something is mentioned while they're on the mountain.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »
Luke really likes them!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2009, 11:59:14 PM »
Luke really likes them!

That was really sweet, especially when he wrote a note to them and told them good luck and kiss ass. It was an aww moment for me!

Offline BantyMom

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2009, 12:14:22 AM »
So maybe the lack of info about the first leg was production's way of not calling any attention to the Chiasso issue, because it seems the teams flying to Milan drew the short stick.

I'm really sorry to bother everyone, but I'm still new here. I love reading all your posts (can't participate in the real-time commenting because I'm on the west coast), and am usually able to follow the inside banter and allusions to other threads, but this one just confused me all to pieces. Would someone be kind enough to explain this one to an old lady?
"If the world were logical, men would ride side-saddle" ---Rita Mae Brown

Offline BantyMom

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:29 AM »
Not a bad episode, but nowhere near the level of last week's.  And in many ways it did remind me of the german leg in Season 9 but with a better roadblock (thank god no gnomes so far).

Do any of you experts know how much input the country or city had in what the show come up with for activities in their country? After reading another comment regarding, let me see, which country was it..... rats..... *hits head, trying to jar memory* yes! Romania? with the gypsies? anyway, the comments about playing into the stereotypes, and this one, with the special tent set up with "local color" for the pastry thing, and disappointment expressed about the last German episode... I was just wondering.
"If the world were logical, men would ride side-saddle" ---Rita Mae Brown

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2009, 12:51:02 AM »
I thought this was a good episode.  Not a great one, as it was clear about halfway through the episode who was toast, but still pretty good.

Tammy & Victor: They really owned the leg tonight.  Hell, they reached the Pit Stop long before any of the other nine teams even reached the Detour!  They're basically coming across to me like Nick & Starr with actual personalities and not saying the same damn things over and over again!  But man, do their voices annoy.  A lot.

Mel & Mike: I'd already seen the preview before the season starting of Mel paragliding, so I knew he'd make it through that Roadblock.  I find Mike naturally funny, while I think Mel sometimes deliberately hams it up to look funny, when I think he can be naturally like Mike.  Their attempt to get into the Pit Stop area was hilarious, though.

Amanda & Kris: Even though it certainly seems like both of them pull their weight, it definitely looks like the editors are trying to make Amanda out to be the less useful person, what with her already leaving the first two Roadblocks to Kris and not having done one yet.  That's all I can really say for now, because otherwise, they sort of bore me, though I like them okay.

Margie & Luke: They fell out of first, but they still ran a decent enough leg.  I liked the look on their faces when they came in fourth tonight.  But please, editors.  Don't keep pushing Luke's deafness storyline on us.  Let that story arc tell itself.

Brad & Victoria: I have to admit.  Victoria's impressed me two legs in a row.  She's a gutsy woman!  I like seeing her bond with Brad and kicking butt the way they do!  They certainly seem very close and like pretty good racers so far, and I hope that continues.  They're already reminding me of Bob & Joyce -- old couple who was gone too soon after running some fairly strong legs.

Jaime & Cara: Too bad more of them wasn't shown tonight.  But they seemed competent enough at the tasks.  Cara certainly kept her eyes out on the Roadblock, and that's really all we got to see of them.  (Although a brief glimpse of them at the Balancing Dolly Detour was seen in their pre-season promo, and Cara wasn't doing so hot in it.)  I still like them, though.  They're actually my favorite of the three women's teams -- and all the teams, period -- and I hope they can jump up and do better on the next leg.

Kisha & Jen: Not much seen of them on this leg.  But it looks like navigation is going to be their weakness.  Jen would do well to stand up for herself against Kisha, though.  Still, their two low finishes in a row, coupled with their navigation problems, has me thinking they'll be toast fairly early on.

Mark & Michael: Too bad they didn't think of making reservations for themselves on the first flight out of Zurich.  They probably could've notched another high finish if they had.  Probably.  That said, they did well enough with everything else they were given, and I'm glad enough that they stayed in the race.

Christie & Jodi: I like them.  But I didn't like their racing on this leg.  Christie made a good choice to bail on the paragliding, but she should've moved faster.  And both of them really shouldn't have taken the "hoof it" part of the next clue way too literally.  Still, good to see them still in, especially considering who that meant would be ousted.

Steve & Linda: I usually want the older couples to last a while, but there's no doubt these two were weak from the beginning (mainly because of Linda) and had no place in the race.  Linda really made things bad for them by getting lost in the Alps.  Navigation made things worse for them.  I felt bad for Steve, as he really seemed to want this a lot, but my happiness of knowing Linda's gone overshadows my sadness for Steve being gone.

Oh, and what I really liked about the Roadblock was that, in some ways, it was a Detour within a Roadblock -- get down the mountain by land or by air.  Simply awesome.

The Detour?  I'd have done Balancing Dolly.  Like I'd have been able to anticipate the amount of time it'd take to find a cherry-filled cake or pie at Austrian Folly?

LOVE: Tammy/Victor, Mel/Mike, Margie/Luke, Jaime/Cara, Kisha/Jen, Mark/Michael, Christie/Jodi
LIKE: Amanda/Kris, Brad/Victoria
NEUTRAL: No one
DISLIKE: No one
HATE: No one

Wow.  Good casting.  Only loves and likes here!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:37:25 PM by Ashe »
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2009, 01:09:49 AM »
 :welcome2: Hi, BantyMom. I'm sorry if I was unclear.
Money troubles, customs troubles, taxi troubles, etc.: the teams that flew into Milan were at a distinct disadvantage. And it was spotted by walkingpneumonia that the teams got on the train at Chiasso (first Swiss stop on the northbound route), not at Milan as the episode would have you believe. Now, it may be a simple webmonkey mistake. But I think (no clue peeks, no money counting) that they didn't want to advertise that parts of the leg weren't well planned.
(Why Chiasso? I don't know. I thought at first it might have been a rail strike: "scioperos" are very common in Italy. But I cant' find any mention of a strike for those dates.)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2009, 01:26:19 AM »
So maybe the lack of info about the first leg was production's way of not calling any attention to the Chiasso issue, because it seems the teams flying to Milan drew the short stick.

I'm really sorry to bother everyone, but I'm still new here. I love reading all your posts (can't participate in the real-time commenting because I'm on the west coast), and am usually able to follow the inside banter and allusions to other threads, but this one just confused me all to pieces. Would someone be kind enough to explain this one to an old lady?

We also know from post elimination Interviews that the teams on the Milan flight did not have enough money at the end to pay their taxis, and indeed, that route has a more expensive train ticket and more expensive taxi runs, So they were slower, had less proportional $$, and had to beg at the end which hurt them time wise.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2009, 01:47:46 AM »
wow 585! I sucked at RFF Game this week for TAR 14

Me thinks that taxi rides from Stechelberg to Zurich are pretty expensive. Approx 200 kms.
Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:41 AM »
about $500 we think...:lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2009, 02:02:39 AM »
No, Victor says it, $585. I'm doing the recap right now. He says it outright.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2009, 02:09:51 AM »
One thing they never addressed.... Linda riding in a private vehicle. Very frowned upon as we know. I guess since she and Steve were eliminated, the time penalty would have been moot, but we know this came into play with JeNate in TAR12 and Tom & Terry in TAR10.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2009, 02:10:03 AM »
I think peach means 500$ for the taxi ride which I would hope TPTB payed for btw!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2009, 03:01:57 AM »
I'm tired. Don't mind me. :P
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2009, 12:52:49 PM »
Ken was up at 4AM? :ascared

Taxi was what I meant though...

Other than the gondola tickets they didn't have any other expenses for this leg that I could see, so they could afford the most expensive taxi ride! Gosh, they were a really boon to the local taxi guys, :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2009, 01:13:56 PM »
Ken was up at 4AM? :ascared
Yes, I was just finishing my recap. No more waiting until three days later to finish. I could have finished an hour and a half earlier had I not been keeping an eye on the Oscars.
Just here to visit.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2009, 01:39:05 PM »
Austrian folly has  to be the best needle in a haystack Detour ever
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: February 24, 2009, 02:45:43 PM »
late to this thread as well, gosh my life is sucky at the moment at least the market is up today

i enjoyed this episode, i am loving marge and luke yes editors i have fallen under your spell

Mel/Mark how funny was that with them trying to get in the gate and Phil's eyebrow raise

and i enjoyed victor singing his way through this episode

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #169 on: February 24, 2009, 03:13:35 PM »
OH Danny Boooyyy !
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #170 on: February 24, 2009, 04:18:03 PM »
I thought this was a good episode.  Not a great one, as it was clear about halfway through the episode who was toast, but still pretty good.

Tammy & Victor: They really owned the leg tonight.  Hell, they reached the Pit Stop long before any of the other nine teams even reached the Detour!  They're basically coming across to me like Nick & Starr with actual personalities and not saying the same damn things over and over again!  But man, do their voices annoy.  A lot.

Mel & Mike: I'd already seen the preview before the season starting of Mel paragliding, so I knew he'd make it through that Roadblock.  I find Mel naturally funny, while I think Mike sometimes deliberately hams it up to look funny, when I think he can be naturally like Mike.  Their attempt to get into the Pit Stop area was hilarious, though.

Amanda & Kris: Even though it certainly seems like both of them pull their weight, it definitely looks like the editors are trying to make Amanda out to be the less useful person, what with her already leaving the first two Roadblocks to Kris and not having done one yet.  That's all I can really say for now, because otherwise, they sort of bore me, though I like them okay.

Margie & Luke: They fell out of first, but they still ran a decent enough leg.  I liked the look on their faces when they came in fourth tonight.  But please, editors.  Don't keep pushing Luke's deafness storyline on us.  Let that story arc tell itself.

Brad & Victoria: I have to admit.  Victoria's impressed me two legs in a row.  She's a gutsy woman!  I like seeing her bond with Brad and kicking butt the way they do!  They certainly seem very close and like pretty good racers so far, and I hope that continues.  They're already reminding me of Bob & Joyce -- old couple who was gone too soon after running some fairly strong legs.

Jaime & Cara: Too bad more of them wasn't shown tonight.  But they seemed competent enough at the tasks.  Cara certainly kept her eyes out on the Roadblock, and that's really all we got to see of them.  (Although a brief glimpse of them at the Bouncing Dolly Detour was seen in their pre-season promo, and Cara wasn't doing so hot in it.)  I still like them, though.  They're actually my favorite of the three women's teams -- and all the teams, period -- and I hope they can jump up and do better on the next leg.

Kisha & Jen: Not much seen of them on this leg.  But it looks like navigation is going to be their weakness.  Jen would do well to stand up for herself against Kisha, though.  Still, their two low finishes in a row, coupled with their navigation problems, has me thinking they'll be toast fairly early on.

Mark & Michael: Too bad they didn't think of making reservations for themselves on the first flight out of Zurich.  They probably could've notched another high finish if they had.  Probably.  That said, they did well enough with everything else they were given, and I'm glad enough that they stayed in the race.

Christie & Jodi: I like them.  But I didn't like their racing on this leg.  Christie made a good choice to bail on the paragliding, but she should've moved faster.  And both of them really shouldn't have taken the "hoof it" part of the next clue way too literally.  Still, good to see them still in, especially considering who that meant would be ousted.

Steve & Linda: I usually want the older couples to last a while, but there's no doubt these two were weak from the beginning (mainly because of Linda) and had no place in the race.  Linda really made things bad for them by getting lost in the Alps.  Navigation made things worse for them.  I felt bad for Steve, as he really seemed to want this a lot, but my happiness of knowing Linda's gone overshadows my sadness for Steve being gone.

Oh, and what I really liked about the Roadblock was that, in some ways, it was a Detour within a Roadblock -- get down the mountain by land or by air.  Simply awesome.

The Detour?  I'd have done Bouncing Dolly.  Like I'd have been able to anticipate the amount of time it'd take to find a cherry-filled cake or pie at Austrian Folly?

LOVE: Tammy/Victor, Mel/Mike, Margie/Luke, Jaime/Cara, Kisha/Jen, Mark/Michael, Christie/Jodi
LIKE: Amanda/Kris, Brad/Victoria
NEUTRAL: No one
DISLIKE: No one
HATE: No one

Wow.  Good casting.  Only loves and likes here!

Right now, I love Tammy & Victor, Mel & Mike, Margie & Luke and Jamie & Cara.  I like Amanda & Kris, Brad & Victoria and Mark & Michael.  I'm kind of neutral on Christie & Jodi and LaKisha & Jen.

Belle Book

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:09 PM »
:welcome2: Hi, BantyMom. I'm sorry if I was unclear.
Money troubles, customs troubles, taxi troubles, etc.: the teams that flew into Milan were at a distinct disadvantage. And it was spotted by walkingpneumonia that the teams got on the train at Chiasso (first Swiss stop on the northbound route), not at Milan as the episode would have you believe. Now, it may be a simple webmonkey mistake. But I think (no clue peeks, no money counting) that they didn't want to advertise that parts of the leg weren't well planned.
(Why Chiasso? I don't know. I thought at first it might have been a rail strike: "scioperos" are very common in Italy. But I cant' find any mention of a strike for those dates.)

Schedules for that would be:
depart Chiasso 1500 arrive Locarno 1613
depart Chiasso 1533 arrive Locarno 1657
depart Chiasso 1603 arrive Locarno 1727
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:01:46 PM by apskip »