Author Topic: TAR14 EP1: 'Don’t Let a Cheese Hit Me' (Switzerland)  (Read 129431 times)

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
Re: TAR14 EP1: 'Don’t Let a Cheese Hit Me' (Switzerland)
« Reply #350 on: February 13, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Yep.  That video tells me that Steve & Linda are definitely toast first.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #351 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:37 AM »
There are so many possibilities for getting from Milan to Locarno - if I was under race pressure I don't know if I'd be able to choose...
This one takes you through Chiasso.
Porto Garibaldi station is a short walk from the central train station.

Station/Stop          
Milano Porta Garibaldi     dep   15:38
Chiasso    arr   16:43   - time matches the station time in the video screencap
Chiasso    dep   17:03
Giubiasco    arr   17:57
Giubiasco    dep   18:04
Locarno    arr   18:27

walkingpneumonia, you are the champion of the day for your Chiasso work. However, what makes you think that any team would take public transportation into the center of Milan so they can they take a train from there. Why wouldn't a team interested in getting ahead go directly by bus from Malpensa Airport to Bellinzona? It's a lot quicker.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #352 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »
Why wouldn't a team interested in getting ahead go directly by bus from Malpensa Airport to Bellinzona? It's a lot quicker.

But Preston/Jennifer didn't do that, no?

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #353 on: February 14, 2009, 12:21:27 AM »
I guess that teams that do not find the most efficient tranportation routes can be the ones that get eliminated the earliest.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #354 on: February 14, 2009, 02:16:36 AM »
This shot was taken between 7:38 and 7:52 am (assumes November 2nd).

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #355 on: February 14, 2009, 02:37:51 AM »
Well that shows us that some people are very excited to be jumping off dams.

And that its definitely a Roadblock.

So has anybody found any other task that might indicate the cheese is part of a Detour?

Offline zacz

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #356 on: February 14, 2009, 07:41:45 AM »
If the cheese was a detour it is always possible that ALL teams chose the cheese option and that therefore there would be none of the other option in the trailers and a low possibility of any spoilers. Infact, if this is the case I wouldn't even put it past TPTB to not even mention the other option or even that it is a detour - things such as this have been edited out before.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #357 on: February 14, 2009, 09:04:35 AM »
I guess that teams that do not find the most efficient tranportation routes can be the ones that get eliminated the earliest.

The clue could say "fly to Zurich or Milano and take a train to Locarno, Switzerland and look for next clue at ??????" That would explain why everyone is on trains only.
Matthew 7:15

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #358 on: February 14, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Thank you TAR researchers!   :jam: Thank you for all your hard work.  This makes the season more fun! :hearts:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #359 on: February 14, 2009, 12:38:25 PM »
Because of CBS's Newest release on TAR14 Episode 1 Preview we know the cheese is a additional task!

See the photo's below taken from the cluebox at the bottom of the hill. It is clearly a route marker
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:41:44 PM by Kiwi Jay »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #360 on: February 14, 2009, 12:46:14 PM »
Nice catch Kiwi, so no detour this leg, all teams must to do the cheese. So they swapped the detour to give us a Roadblock which we normally do not have in EP1  :tup:
I still wonder if there is a task they have to do in Ticino? I hate to think its first come first serve, whoever gets to the church first signs in first ... it doesn't seem very balanced.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
I still wonder if there is a task they have to do in Ticino? I hate to think its first come first serve, whoever gets to the church first signs in first ... it doesn't seem very balanced.

Ms Puddin,

I have wondered the same thing. I finally decided, since it is close to dark, they maybe just made them run around the downtown area for a couple of route markes. Maybe just to get them used to opening them and reading them and maybe tire them out. They are going to need a good nights rest before Day 2....

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2009, 02:21:18 PM »
Nice catch Kiwi, so no detour this leg, all teams must to do the cheese. So they swapped the detour to give us a Roadblock which we normally do not have in EP1  :tup:
They did that in TAR12, too, didn't they?
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2009, 03:28:20 PM »
They did that in TAR12, too, didn't they?
from wiki
The Roadblock for this leg of the Race required one team member to ride a high-wire bicycle across a wind swept ravine suspended almost 200 feet above the North Atlantic, while their partner, sitting eight feet below, was taken for the ride.

Additional tasks
Teams must pedal a tandem bike along a dirt path to their next clue upon reaching the farm. It is thought that this was a Detour choice; however, Ari and Staella confirmed in an interview that they never came across a Detour in the leg.
After completing the Roadblock, teams received instructions to choose a donkey and fill each of its baskets with 15 pieces of peat. Then, they had to walk the donkey back to the entrance of the farm to receive their next clue.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2009, 03:46:16 PM »
Time to arrange the teams in order?

Victor jumps at Verzasca while practically everyone is still around.
Tammy/Victor and Mark/Michael fight it out at Cheesefield.
Luke/Margie did not finish at the bottom the previous day, from clip of them celebrating at Locarno.
Mike/Mel and Luke/Margie arrive at Interlaken together.
Mike/Mel and Tammy/Victor are seen together at Cheesefield.

Jennifer/Preston could not have finished high on the previous day (reference: Timelines).
This means the following group should be behind Luke/Margie.
Brad/Victoria, LaKisha/Jennifer and Christie/Jodi are at Verzasca together.
Christie/Jodi, LaKisha/Jennifer, Cara/Jamie and Brad/Victoria arrive at Cheesefield together.
Amanda/Kris and Jennifer/Preston arrive together.
We know from Nijjy that these teams all took the same train, arriving in Interlaken at 2.28pm.
Christie/Jodi fight Jennifer/Preston to the Pit Stop.

Steve/Linda are nowhere to be found.

And here are the trains from Locarno to Interlaken:

Via Domodossola, Brig and Spiez (0813-1157)
Via Bellinzona and Luzern (0903-1355)
Via Domodossola and Spiez (1042-1428): Christie/Jodi, LaKisha/Jennifer, Cara/Jamie, Brad/Victoria, Jennifer/Preston, Amanda/Kris
Via Bellinzona and Luzern (1103-1555)
Via Domodossola, Brig and Spiez (1213-1557)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:17:59 PM by Neobie »

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #365 on: February 14, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
Because of CBS's Newest release on TAR14 Episode 1 Preview we know the cheese is a additional task!

See the photo's below taken from the cluebox at the bottom of the hill. It is clearly a route marker

Note that in the background while Mel and Mike are opening the clue envelope, no cheeses are by the shed with the man in the tan coat.  So they must be one of the first teams there.  Later on in another shot of Victor and Tammy running back up the hill, and Mel is on the ground with a broken carrier, we can see the same man by the shed and at least two piles of two cheeses are stacked against the wall.  Later, we have Mel and Mike completing the task and behind them are four stacks of four cheeses each, so we can determine that if Mel and Mike were first at the task, they are now in fifth place when the complete it.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #366 on: February 14, 2009, 03:57:10 PM »
1st to 5th?!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #367 on: February 14, 2009, 04:02:17 PM »
Four stacks means they're in fourth place! :duno: I'm thinking...

Taking the 0903-1355 train
Tammy/Victor, Michael/Mark (#1 or #2)
Luke/Margie (#3, arriving Murren with Mike/Mel)
Mike/Mel (#4, based on gingerman28's observation)

Taking the 1042-1428 train
LaKisha/Jennifer, Brad/Victoria, Cara/Jamie, Christie/Jodi, Jennifer/Preston, Amanda/Kris
Cara/Jamie, LaKisha/Jennifer and Brad/Victoria arrive together.
Jennifer/Preston and Amanda/Kris arrive together.
Jodi/Christie and Jennifer/Preston end together.

Taking the train to Sequesterville
Linda/Steve

Is 100min (just) enough to clear six people on the bungee?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:40:07 PM by Neobie »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #368 on: February 14, 2009, 04:39:50 PM »

Note that in the background while Mel and Mike are opening the clue envelope, no cheeses are by the shed with the man in the tan coat.  So they must be one of the first teams there.  Later on in another shot of Victor and Tammy running back up the hill, and Mel is on the ground with a broken carrier, we can see the same man by the shed and at least two piles of two cheeses are stacked against the wall.  Later, we have Mel and Mike completing the task and behind them are four stacks of four cheeses each, so we can determine that if Mel and Mike were first at the task, they are now in fifth place when the complete it.

I think that Tammy/Victor and Mark/Mike got to the cheese task first. When we see Mike/Mel and Luke/Margie, the first two teams are climbing the hill to the cheese or at the cheese. So in the vid caps all those teams take two cheese wheels a trip, which means they have to climb the hill a second time. Jamie/Cara take 4 cheese wheels down first trip. So I would think that Mel/Mike arrived 3rd and got passed by Luke/Margie and Cara/Jamie.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #369 on: February 14, 2009, 04:43:23 PM »

I think they're in fourth place?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #370 on: February 14, 2009, 05:13:07 PM »
Thanks for putting that together Neobie!!  :yess:

I was trying to guess where Linda and Steven are, from the episode 1 preview clip and think they are near the pitstop? I can see other people through the trees and S/L are trying to get to the other side of the river ( which is actually a brook ).. I think its here but its a guess. Is there too much snow on the ground to be Stechelberg?

Alpenhof, Stechelberg map

<< thumbnail

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »
Wherever Steve & Linda are, I'm almost positive they're in last.  They just seem so cut off from where the other teams might be.
Jamison

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2009, 06:02:43 PM »

I think that Tammy/Victor and Mark/Mike got to the cheese task first. When we see Mike/Mel and Luke/Margie, the first two teams are climbing the hill to the cheese or at the cheese. So in the vid caps all those teams take two cheese wheels a trip, which means they have to climb the hill a second time. Jamie/Cara take 4 cheese wheels down first trip. So I would think that Mel/Mike arrived 3rd and got passed by Luke/Margie and Cara/Jamie.

Okay, so Cara & Jamie comes in fourth!  I'm pretty happy with that!  And of course Linda & Steve take the train to Sequesterville -- after coming in last to the Pit Stop.

Belle Book

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2009, 06:08:41 PM »
I think you got it exactly pudding. They missed the bridge for some reason. I have been trying to decide how they get from the cheese task to the pit stop....  train or taxi?????

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2009, 06:12:23 PM »

Okay, so Cara & Jamie comes in fourth!  I'm pretty happy with that!  And of course Linda & Steve take the train to Sequesterville -- after coming in last to the Pit Stop.

Belle Book

My earlier thoughts are incorrect, Belle Book. I made my order on gingerman's post and not by going back and looking at the vid caps of the cheese stacks. As Neobie said, Mel/Mike are 4th. I appears they arrived at the cheese task in a dead heat with Luke/Margie for 3rd/4th and that Luke/Margie finished the task before them. When Mel/Mike at stacking their 4th cheese wheel, there are 3 not 4 full stacks of cheese wheels on the rack. Sorry for misleading you.