Author Topic: TAR14 EP1: 'Don’t Let a Cheese Hit Me' (Switzerland)  (Read 129461 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: TAR14 EP1: 'Don’t Let a Cheese Hit Me' (Switzerland)
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2009, 02:42:55 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2009, 03:33:54 AM »
You look different, have you done something to your hair? :lol: :neener:

I was just there!

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2009, 03:37:09 AM »
These pictures are supposedly from the area next to the kleiner Rouge too:

HERE

It looks good.  can see why the teams were falling over carryign those big cheeses down that slope

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »
TV Review
The Amazing Race
Few things signal 
a fine new season of The Amazing Race better than when a contestant yells the words ''Don't let the cheese hit me!'' and you don't laugh but rather fear for his life.

So it is in the premiere of season 14, when members of 11 teams must carry 
50-pound wheels of cheese down a hill 
in Switzerland. And not just carry, but 
balance them on a wooden ''antique cheese rack'' strapped to their backs. Pretty 
soon, wood is splintering and cheese is rumbling anarchically toward such duos as:

·Margie and Luke, a mother-son pair. Luke is Race's first deaf contestant and proudly does not read lips. I know this can be a heated topic in deaf circles; fortunately in Race circles, you can usually see (no hearing necessary) when a giant block of cheese is coming at you — or, as in 
episode 2, a pie is being thrown in your face.

·Mel and Mike, geezer dad and his perpetually grinning son, who's actually screenwriter-actor Mike White. He credits himself here as the writer of School of Rock, but truly touched greatness (just ask Owen Gleiberman) with his creepazoid turn in 2000's Chuck & Buck.

·Steve and Linda, married and self-
proclaimed Virginia ''hillbillies'' who do a lotta yellin' and cryin'.

That's just the cream o' the crop; there's a crackerjack assortment of Race teams this season, and I really like the way the show has incorporated more 24-style split-screen editing that lets you know where teams are in relation to each other during competitions. So far, the challenges and roadblocks are real tests of brains and endurance, with a notable lessening of those long jabbering-at-ticket-agents-in-foreign-airports montages that were becoming a drag. And of course 
we couldn't have a Race without host Phil Keoghan, who sets up such challenges as the pie-throwing event with lines like ''Teams could find themselves...getting creamed.'' Phil is the TV industry standard for pure ham-on-wry. Even the ''hillbillies'' agree: ''I love the eyebrow!'' says Linda, when Keoghan raises it to convey his signature expression of amused dubiousness — or is that dubious amusement?

The Amazing Race remains the most 
exhilarating reality show because it provokes such a wide range of emotions in the contestants and in us. You can always 
find a team to identify with and invest 
in; you can always find a few brats to detest. Then there's the subtler middle ground. 
I think the addition of Luke will prove 
edifying. Right now, other teams talk earnestly to the camera about his ''integrity,'' but if the deaf kid starts smokin' the 
competition, pious p.c. sentiments will probably degenerate as fast as Mike White's dad's pulled groin. Ouch. And yay. A–

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20258483,00.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #229 on: February 11, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »
  "Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Mother/son team Margie and Luke travel to Interlaken, Switzerland and perform a "cheese race" in which they carry wheels of cheese up and down a slope to a little alpine hut in order to receive their next clue, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT)

"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Jen travels to Interlaken, Switzerland and perform a "cheese race" in which they carry wheels of cheese up and down a slope to a little alpine hut in order to receive their next clue, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15

"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Jennifer (left) and Amanda travel to Interlaken, Switzerland and perform a "cheese race" in which they carry wheels of cheese up and down a slope to a little alpine hut in order to receive their next clue, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #230 on: February 11, 2009, 12:49:18 PM »
"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--One team member must bungee jump off the Verzasca Dam in Locarno, Switzerland in order to receive their next clue, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15

"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Mike White must bungee jump off the Verzasca Dam in Locarno, Switzerland in order to receive the next clue, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15

"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Victor must bungee jump off the Verzasca Dam in Locarno, Switzerland in order to receive the next clue on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #231 on: February 11, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Flight Attendants Christie(far left) and Jodi and dating couple Jennifer and Preston of THE AMAZING RACE 14 race to the find the yodelers at the Pit Stop in Stechelberg, Switzerland, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15  :yess:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #232 on: February 11, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
Great job, Puddin!  :jumpy:
And Chateau predicted the fence:
The fence has been erected to keep the cheese from rolling too far!  :lol:
On a separate topic, do we have any info on the Whites past Ep1? You'd think a scaphoid fracture would be the most common injury running downhill, but I guess a groin pull is possible.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #233 on: February 11, 2009, 12:58:55 PM »
oooh, there is yodeling in those music links I posted last night!

Heee..puddin! Looks like TPTB were waiting for you to find Stechelburg, just in the nick of time! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #234 on: February 11, 2009, 01:00:24 PM »
Great job, Puddin!  :jumpy:
And Chateau predicted the fence:
The fence has been erected to keep the cheese from rolling too far!  :lol:
On a separate topic, do we have any info on the Whites past Ep1? You'd think a scaphoid fracture would be the most common injury running downhill, but I guess a groin pull is possible.
We have the Whites in Germany paragliding Slowhatch.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #235 on: February 11, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
Don't reviewers only get to watch the first 3/4 of the premiere? If so, where do these come from?

Pie-throwing event with lines like ''Teams could find themselves...getting creamed.''
When this is presumably in Episode 2?

Even the ''hillbillies'' agree: ''I love the eyebrow!'' says Linda, when Keoghan raises it to convey his signature expression of amused dubiousness — or is that dubious amusement?
When they're the pick to be first eliminated, which would take place at the end of the premiere? Plus, too happy to be last?

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #236 on: February 11, 2009, 01:18:49 PM »
I really like the way the show has incorporated more 24-style split-screen editing

Awesome!  :yess:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #237 on: February 11, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »
I really like the way the show has incorporated more 24-style split-screen editing

Awesome!  :yess:
When it comes down to it, the whole world revolves around 24! :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2009, 03:46:09 PM »
Present for puddin, from our awesome Alpenhof hosts! :hearts:

The Alpenhof
Marc Jones & Diane Sifis
CH-3824 Stechelberg
Switzerland

www.alpenhof-stechelberg.ch

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2009, 03:47:22 PM »
perform a "cheese race" in which they carry wheels of cheese up and down a slope to a little alpine hut

I've only seen them carrying it down...is this a mistake, or is there more to the task than we have seen?

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #240 on: February 11, 2009, 03:59:09 PM »
"Don't Let a Cheese Hit Me"--Flight Attendants Christie(far left) and Jodi and dating couple Jennifer and Preston of THE AMAZING RACE 14 race to the find the yodelers at the Pit Stop in Stechelberg, Switzerland, on THE AMAZING RACE 14, Sunday, Feb. 15  :yess:

Well, unless Christie & Jodi and Preston & Jennifer are racing it out for last place, this picture could confirm that Steve & Linda are, in fact, out first, as this is heading for the Pit Stop.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline cba

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #241 on: February 11, 2009, 04:00:14 PM »
Hello everyone! Haven't been around for couple of months cause my life was totally going up and down and I got into time trouble with my studies because of that, but now I'm done with my exams, and luckily just in time for TAR 14!  Checked youtube for a preview and recognized some so I came here.... for nothing.  :funny: No idea why I thought there was something you maybe haven't found out about though... ;)
I was right about the bungee jumping! My first sleuthering!  :jumpy: :lol:

Actually, I'm one week late cause Stechelberg has been the place I call my second home... spent several week there as a child each year and have visited it at least once a year for the past 19 years...  :lol: But as I see, you're totally fine without an almost-local!  :tup:
I'm still struggling though finding that weird mosaic-like thing next to the windows on the Alpenhof Hotel....

Those wooden cheese carriers are in common use to carry the cheese up or down (well usually down) a steep hill. Some thing I noticed - two women (sorry I can't put faces to names yet) are seen in a cap (page 7, post by puddin) going down the hill on their bottom, having one of the cheese on the wooden thing or what appears to be a piece of fabric pulling that behind them. Well this is how the Pro's do it if they've got a lot of cheese to transport so thumbs up to them. ;)

And thank you all for giving me laughters - I knew about the green shelters being at practically every house in that area and I found it hilarious yet of course very poised of you all for not giving up on finding the exact match!  :tup:

Puddin, you mentioned a place called "Matten Bei" at some place, just wanted to clarify that for you cause Swiss twon names can be confusing. Plus it's common in other areas of the Alps in Germany and Austria (cause they're all German-spoken) so it might come in handy for future episodes too. ;) The correct name is "Matten bei Interlaken"; "Matten" are grassy meadows and it's a town name in practically every valley; so there's usually the added "bei" (which means "at" or "close to") followed by the next "bigger" town, in this case, Interlaken. Those towns like Matten usually have neither their own grocery store, school etc. and even share the postal code with their "bei" town.
But big compliments on all your finds, I'm impressed as always!!

To everyone who has watched the movie "On her majesty's secret service" - there's a mistake in it that is clearly visible to people that have been to the area or know it from TAR, for that matter. ;) When he (James Bond) skis down from Schilthorn being chased by the bad guys, at one point he stops at a phone box. That box still exists, it is in Lauterbrunnen, which is on the valley bottom as you know. In the movie, he finishes the call when the bad guys turn up, gets back on his skis and skies further down... knowing it's impossible he does that was pretty funny to me at least when I saw the movie for the first time.

And boy am I now looking forward to this episode!!!  :hearts:
But first off to write a friend in Stechelberg...

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #242 on: February 11, 2009, 04:03:31 PM »

Well, unless Christie & Jodi and Preston & Jennifer are racing it out for last place, this picture could confirm that Steve & Linda are, in fact, out first, as this is heading for the Pit Stop.

Why would this picture have anything at all to do with Linda and Steve? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #243 on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:30 PM »
thanks for finding that danged door peach! and thanks for all the great info cba  :jumpy:

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #244 on: February 11, 2009, 05:07:31 PM »

Why would this picture have anything at all to do with Linda and Steve? ???

Well, they both are most likely not out because we see them later.  Linda and Steve are the ones that are most likely gone.

I am excited for the footrace!  Especially since it is most likely to the pitstop. 

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #245 on: February 11, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »
Woohooo!!!!!

Congradulations to the crew for finding the missing places. Great job puddin!!!!  I go out of town and offline for 36 hours and you people wrap up TAR Ep1.

That hotel, the Alpenhoff looks car friendly too. An easy spot for Mercedes to drop off about 11 of those white cars. Plenty of room to park them.

Just so I am clear, the pit stop mat is on the right side of the hotel in this view? Past the overhanging porch roof, but in front of and to the left of that big tree as we look at it? From about that area, we could see the end of the porch overhang and the flagpoles that are present in the pic of Mel/Mike at the mat.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:18:42 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #246 on: February 11, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the photos!

Belle Book

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #247 on: February 11, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »
perform a "cheese race" in which they carry wheels of cheese up and down a slope to a little alpine hut

I've only seen them carrying it down...is this a mistake, or is there more to the task than we have seen?

I am like you, MsShrek. Maybe the task is to take the cheese to the bottom "under control." If they lose control and the cheese rolls all the way to the bottom, maybe they have to carry it back to the top and start over. That is the only thing I can think of that they would have to carry them back up the hill.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:15:56 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #248 on: February 11, 2009, 07:29:40 PM »
The Amazing Race 14 - Phil's Video Diary: Ep 1
Phil takes us behind the scenes of the CBS Photo shoot at Los Angeles International Airport

<< HQ toggle

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #249 on: February 11, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
"You wake up and you're in New Zealand, seriously, it's that easy"

- only if you fly Business class Phil...spare a though for the rest of us all squashed up together back in Economy with a bunch of screaming kids (hopefully someone elses) :lol: