Author Topic: TAR14 EP1: 'Don’t Let a Cheese Hit Me' (Switzerland)  (Read 129062 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: EP1: 'Don’t Let a Cheese Hit Me' (Switzerland)
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2009, 11:48:48 PM »
This title is cracking me up! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »
Couldn't the cheese roll be a random additional task that they love throwing in for the first leg as a bit of a filler?

As far as I can recall, every first leg (bar season 1) has had some task teams must do that remains unclassified.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2009, 11:54:20 PM »
See it looks like Mel & Mike are second to complete the cheese task, 8 a piece ... unless of course its 4 a piece and they are 4th to complete :lol: and now that I look at it thats probably the most likely scenario.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 12:05:27 AM »
Okay. So its Segway or Roll Away. hahaha no what are those carriers called I am going to go back in time and take a look. If Mel and Mike are 4th here and this is after the roadblock that means they arent going to be slackers in Leg 1 like I thought which is great. I am so excited for Leg 1!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 12:07:35 AM »
No Segways are for the next leg Kiwi, thanks to Chateau ( Schönau am Königssee - Germany)

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 12:14:07 AM »
Beg your pardon! So do we know what the two detour options are! I still find it funny that most teams head down the mountain with the carrier whereas Mel was sliding down with cheese in hand!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 12:46:01 AM »
Yup pick anywhere Bernese Oberland and green shutters are there
Ah concur. Red and green shutters everywhere. The side mouldings/decorations may be distinctive, but...maybe not. And there's places with flagpoles in front in different parts of Interlaken and Matten, so this won't be easy. And it doesn't have to be a famous building, either: Chalet Arnika, because it was an ordinary inn, made it harder to pinpoint.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »
Just throwing this out as a potential pitstop area, because I like it and can't look at Interlaken area anymore tonight.

Staubbach falls, Lauterbrunnen

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 01:40:49 AM »
it looks the part but there are so many places like the pitstop that right now I think it will be hard to find it until we get a better look!!

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 03:57:26 AM »
I think the cheese deal is that each team member has to get two down to the bottom. I would think that if a cheese got away, as with the case of Luke, then that cheese doesn't count. I really have had a hard time even thinking about this task since, I think it was puddin, made the comment about "imported chedder." I don't really know why, but when I see a cheese picture, I just think of that and start laughing.

Anyway, could WRP be so diabolical to have the cheese carriers constructed so they would all break? I have wondered about that. From the videos, it certainly makes good television to see the cheese racks break and have cheese rollin down the hill. I doubt the "natives" run down the mountain with cheese. Running will increase th force on the rack. But doesn't Amanda's break while it is being loaded? It almost looks to me that the cheese are too big for the racks.......maybe we are just seeing the teams that had problems and some of the teams get down with one trip....and are off to the Pit Stop.

Anyway, I think it is 4 per team to the wooden racks at the bottom.

Here is something I picked up watching the part of the vids from the dam jump. As they are leaving, Tammy Jih says, "I can't believe WE did that!"  My eyes are old and not so good, but can someone see if her lips are moving and saying that.....lol  I have been burned TOO many times when TPTB edit voice overs from one scene, on another scene. Lawyers, by their nature, usually are pretty good with correct word use. I am just wondering if WRP put her voice from some other event over them running off the bridge. So far in all the vidcaps, I only see one team member making that jump.

Matthew 7:15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 11:20:19 AM »
^^ It's Victor that says "I can't believe we just did that"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXPo9Y0v35Q

this from tvguide

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
I think besides Dennis and Erika, all the other seasons first eliminations are kinda predictable. Especially with Linda and Steve this season. I hope i'm wrong though.. they seem like really nice people.
Don't forget, John Vito and Jill getting eliminated first in All-Stars  :( , if not for the spoilers I don't think anyone could have predicted the outcome in the first leg.
I guess it's just me, but I found Ari & Staella's elimination in TAR12 very unpredictable, especially since they weren't even in any danger until that ornery donkey showed up!  Until that happened, I'd been expecting Marianna & Julia or Kate & Pat to go out first (and sure enough, both of their teams did go out early, both right after Ari & Staella).
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXPo9Y0v35Q

this from tvguide

They are having trouble keeping up with us, aren't they? :lol: :yess:

Love the new Mr Cheesehead!! :cheesehead
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2009, 12:10:23 PM »

Thanks puddin, its the WE part that got me. I had thought it was a single team member event.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2009, 03:01:54 PM »
Anyway, could WRP be so diabolical to have the cheese carriers constructed so they would all break? I have wondered about that. From the videos, it certainly makes good television to see the cheese racks break and have cheese rollin down the hill. I doubt the "natives" run down the mountain with cheese. Running will increase th force on the rack. But doesn't Amanda's break while it is being loaded? It almost looks to me that the cheese are too big for the racks.......maybe we are just seeing the teams that had problems and some of the teams get down with one trip....and are off to the Pit Stop.

I don't think WRP would have purposely constructed them to break. I do think there is a technique to doing it though, which is why the teams are struggling.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »
Old CBS has always been a step behind us but we lovem for continuing with TAR for so long!

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2009, 06:11:28 PM »
I think besides Dennis and Erika, all the other seasons first eliminations are kinda predictable. Especially with Linda and Steve this season. I hope i'm wrong though.. they seem like really nice people.
Don't forget, John Vito and Jill getting eliminated first in All-Stars  :( , if not for the spoilers I don't think anyone could have predicted the outcome in the first leg.
I guess it's just me, but I found Ari & Staella's elimination in TAR12 very unpredictable, especially since they weren't even in any danger until that ornery donkey showed up!  Until that happened, I'd been expecting Marianna & Julia or Kate & Pat to go out first (and sure enough, both of their teams did go out early, both right after Ari & Staella).

Yeah, I found Ari & Staella's elimination surprising as well, although also rather funny thanks to the ornery donkey!  Animals seem to give us a lot of laughs on The Amazing Race!   :lol:

Belle Book

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »
No help on the cab ride. When you flip the promo cap you get Alpenland Taxi, which of course is Interlaken.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2009, 11:10:32 PM »
When I tell you I've looked at over 10,000 photos of Interlaken, I kid you not  :lol:

From this album, somewhere Interlaken according to the photog. I'm not saying its a match but since I found it I'll put it up anyway. I can't tell if their are snowcaps though.
And then I was thinking the flags might be held by this sign   :lol: , all and all I've got nothing!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »
......but don't fret, there are flags in Matten Bei as well  :lol:
http://www.matten.ch/Web/

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 11:57:32 PM »
 :lol:  they're everywhere!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 12:26:16 AM »
Plenty of sex shops in Interlaken too Boingo  :sucks

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 10:52:42 AM »
Just throwing this out as a potential pitstop area, because I like it and can't look at Interlaken area anymore tonight.

Staubbach falls, Lauterbrunnen

Just for anyone's information, just across the street from the Jungfrau Hotel (on the right) is the station for the cog railroad which takes you up to the Jungfrau.  See my pix.  By the way, the pix you found, Puddin,  are pretty damn good.  Those falls are spectacular; there are at least four one after the other down the valley. Worth anyone's visit.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:19:53 AM by gingerman28 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 11:38:41 AM »
I don't think Lauterbrunnen is  the pitstop but in my dreams it is Gman, again it would be a shame not to feature it in the race. So Gman since you've been there, do you know of any historic/famous cottages in the Bernese Oberland general area? And would you keep us updated if your tvguide comes today on any race articles please? :<3

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
Don't know of any off hand, but I'll look.  I agree it would be a shame to miss.  Will keep an eye out for TVGuide.

So far we have identified five tasks which could be in eps 1 or 2:

Bungee Jump (At the Verzasla Dam in Ticino, Switzerland) ROADBLOCK
Cheese carry down hill (Interlaken, Switzerland ???)
Para glides(at Ruhpolding, Bavaria)
Cake throwing ????
Segways (at Koeningsee, Bavaria)

In all TARs to date the first episode has only had one Detour OR one Roadblock task.  Except TAR10 which had both a Detour and a Roadblock but was a two hour, double elimination first episode.  Most first episodes also had only one additional task. So if we have identified the Bungee Jump off the Verzasla dam as a Roadblock, then the cheese carry may be just an additional task which all teams have to perform before getting the clue for the pitstop, which could be in Interlaken or even in Lauterbrunnen, which is only a short drive away.

There is just too much time taken up with all eleven cast intros, arriving at the departure spot, Phil's greetings and traditional "the world awaits, travel safe,..... go" Travel to LAX, finding the right flight, flying to Zurich or Milano, train to Tocina, bungee jump (11) train to Interlaken, etc.to have more than one additional task before the pitstop.

That leaves: the Paragliding in Ruhpolding,  and segway ride in Koenigsee, (which we know are in Bavaria on the way to Salzburg) and the cake throwing which could be paired with some unknown task as part of a Detour.  And if the pitstop for this leg is in Salzburg, there would be little time left for any other tasks in Salzburg.

Ruhpolding and Koenigsee are between 40 and 50 klicks apart.  The shorter route is through some high mountains; the longer route is on better roads and not as difficult to drive.  Both routes must pass through Berchtesgaden on the way to Koenigsee.  So there is some more time take up.

We know that they have white Mercedes cars in Salzburg, but so far not one scene of anyone driving anywhere.  Strange.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:57:17 AM by gingerman28 »