Author Topic: Promo Screencaps  (Read 83974 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: Promo Screencaps
« Reply #150 on: January 29, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »
Thank you.  It was all starting to look familiar!

And of course there is a gondola ride to take to get to the paragliding location:  Rauschberg

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #151 on: January 29, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
And look, we can even see the paragliders from space!

Or, are those the hang gliders?   :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #152 on: January 29, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »
OMG! That's pretty amazing too!  :chute:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 29, 2009, 04:21:51 PM »
That's amazing Chateau :O

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #154 on: January 29, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »
The best I can do on the wooden backpacks is Kraxe. These days Kraxe refers to baby-carriers, but in the past "kraxentragers" were wandering woodcarvers who sold their supply off their backs. (see here). I don't know who makes them, but the ones the racers used seemed rather flimsy.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #155 on: January 29, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
The best I can do on the wooden backpacks is Kraxe. These days Kraxe refers to baby-carriers, but in the past "kraxentragers" were wandering woodcarvers who sold their supply off their backs. (see here). I don't know who makes them, but the ones the racers used seemed rather flimsy.

This is the info I found on them earlier in the week. They were simply referred to as a Holzräf (Wooden pack)
I'd posted this in the speculation thread instead of here.

I have been trying to find out more about the wooden backpacks they are using here

I haven't been able to find a really close match yet, but it seems that they are a traditional Swiss German Räf defined here as
"A frame for carrying objects on one’s back, with which one can balance cumbersome and heavy loads over the centre line of the body, thus making them easier to carry."
The picture on this page here has been removed, but I think the comment is referring to the same piece of apparatus
"The wooden backpack is also used for carrying the large cheeses down into the valley."

:jumpy: Found the missing pic. I think it's a match

http://photo.net/general-comments/image-attachment?comment_id=13919536

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #156 on: January 29, 2009, 09:27:10 PM »
There was a new promo after CSI and the first few frames are new. They are walking (climbing) up a snow covered mT. and then on a snowmoble. Wish I could tranfer over to the computer but I can't  :groan:   Hope you can Puddin. Thanks
I WILL TRY

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #157 on: January 29, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »
I'll look Uncle Bill , brb

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #158 on: January 29, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »
Oh its the one they have been playing over and over Uncle Bill, I think the snow mobiles are season 6/ Iceland and the mountain climbing either season 4 or 5 I think? but its a montage of past season/clips thats all.

Offline Uncle Bill

• Honorary Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #159 on: January 29, 2009, 09:42:07 PM »
 :-[ Sorry  Puddin, I must be getting old  or need new glasses.  :groan:
I WILL TRY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #160 on: January 29, 2009, 09:55:54 PM »
Darn

Join the crowd Uncle Bill! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #161 on: January 29, 2009, 10:38:27 PM »
:-[ Sorry  Puddin, I must be getting old  or need new glasses.  :groan:
Darn

Join the crowd Uncle Bill! :lol3:
  :waves: your with the "in crowd" with peach and I Uncle Bill  :lol:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2009, 03:05:49 PM »
Did the teams split up? Nijjy saw teams on the western run (Domodossola>Spiez>Interlaken), and Boingo spotted the Munoz bros.  :yess: on the eastern run (Bellinzona>Lucerne>Interlaken). System map here (430kb pdf).

Is it possible to get any sort of time indication from the photo of the Munoz bros? According to the eye witness on the other train it was around midday when the others got on their train in Domodossola

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
Chalk another one of the list, well the banner anyway! I have been looking thru tent rentals or Partyzelt or Festzelte, not much luck though.

BG is definitely involved here.  The banner in our screen caps belongs to Hoffbrauhaus Berchtesgaden And their website.

I can't find where they have the big tent on GE.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #164 on: January 30, 2009, 03:50:27 PM »
Germany was there the whole time!!  :lol:
:lol:  Did a quick check of the license plate on the white Mercedes the blogger photographed as a TAR car in Salzburg (Austria).  It appears to be a German license plate.  Note the font, the Euro blue, the similar graphics consistent with a German plate.  So if it's not Swiss, and not Austrian, did they drive it all the way from Germany?   :angel:  How does this figure into the flight schedules?   :umn:  Or did they ship these cars in from Germany just for the product promotion.  So many questions....  :funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »
So where do we think they pick up their cars? Driving starts where?

And yippee for self navigation again!!  :jumpy:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »
So where do we think they pick up their cars? Driving starts where?

And yippee for self navigation again!!  :jumpy:

The car number plate originates in Stuttgart. I think the most likely scenario is that they trained/flew to Munich and picked the cars up from there but from memory it's only a couple of hours drive from Stuttgart to Munich on the Autobahn

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2009, 04:05:40 PM »
I was just coming to post that Mrs Shrek  :jam:

That car was registered in Stuttgart, which is where the Mercedes factory is located. So that ties in with them being a sponsor product. It is quite common to put a bunch of cars on a truck and transport them from A to B in Europe. I would assume they will just pick the cars up and take them back to Stuttgart again on a truck when they are finished - it's only about 125 miles  from Munich - so only an hour or two drive on the autobahn

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »
 :-[ I really do repeat myself don't I :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2009, 04:26:32 PM »
:-[ I really do repeat myself don't I :lol:
  :lol: lol, sorry about that Mrs Shrek but it was worth repeating  :-*

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2009, 04:45:52 PM »
Do you think they could have possibly had the cars delivered to Switzerland and had them drive to Bavaria from there? If I was a field producer, I would not want to send racers into Munich unnecessarily, far too many tourists...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »
Do you think they could have possibly had the cars delivered to Switzerland and had them drive to Bavaria from there? If I was a field producer, I would not want to send racers into Munich unnecessarily, far too many tourists...

Anything is possible. It would all come down to how direct the route from Stuttgart to Interlaken is for a truck transporter (ie main highways as opposed to windy alpine roads). I'll go look at a map now.*
Because in Germany you have to reregister your car if you move to a new district, so those cars had to originate in Stuttgart. Another alternative to Munich would be taking the train to Zurich and self driving from there. At airports the racers are quite obvious, as there is a lot of hanging around and there are a large number of travellers (all blogging and with camera handy), but in past races, other forms of public transport such as trains and buses have had less reliable race sightings, and so a Munich train station sighting could still have easily escaped our attention.

*ETA according to Google it is nearly 4 hrs drive from Stuttgart to Interlaken, but just over 2 hrs to either Munich or Zurich, so either option would be feasible.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:04:51 PM by Mrs Shrek »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »
I think that Mercedes dropped the cars off in Interlaken and picked them up in Salzburg. That means the teams drove from Interlaken to Schloss Hellbrunn. Thats probably why we didnt find any reports of people seeing them in airports or train stations between Interlaken and Salzburg.  More stealth stuff from BVM as apskip calls it.

Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
I concur with Dr.Rox. The logical place to pick up a vehicle is Interlaken. We have already offered the time for the drive to Salzburg of 5 hours 40 minutes but it would be slightly less to Berchtesgaden or elsewhere in Bavaria (the Germany side of the border).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »