Author Topic: ♥♥♥ TAR14: Mel & Michael White - Father & Son  (Read 43792 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
♥♥♥ TAR14: Mel & Michael White - Father & Son
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »
Biography
Mel White (68); Mike White (38)
Hometown: Lynchburg, Va / Santa Monica, Calif..
Occupation: Mel (Writer, Clergyman); Mike (Writer, Producer, Actor);
Relationship: Father/Son

Mike and Mel had a pretty typical family life until Mike was 11 years old, which is when Mel told the family that he was gay. Mel and Mike’s mother remained married until Mike and his sister, Erinn, went to college. Mel is now married to his life partner of 27 years, Gary Nixon.

Mike works as a writer, director and actor in Los Angeles. His writing credits include the feature films "Nacho Libre" and "School of Rock," in which he also starred opposite Jack Black and Sarah Silverman, as well as the television series "Pasadena." Mike and Mel are eager to spend some quality time racing around the globe. Mike describes himself as entertaining, thoughtful and “ridiculously pale.” These two might not be the most physical team on the Race, but they’ll surely compensate with their wit and communication skills.

Mel, a gay-rights activist, has worked as a writer, professor, filmmaker and a pastor and is eager to have a once in a lifetime experience with his youngest child. He’s confident that his people skills will give him an advantage over some of the other Racers. He describes himself as energetic, caring and passionate and enjoys scuba diving and racquetball. When asked who he would model his style of game play after, he pointed to Season 7 winners Uchenna and Joyce, while Mike will model his game play after the "never say die" attitude of Charla and Mirna.

Mike and Mel are well-traveled, opinionated and huge fans of the Race.

Watch CBS Videos Online
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:14:46 AM by puddin »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: • TAR14: Mel & Michael White - Father & Son
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
The celebrity team of the race, Mike and Mel are a LGBT goldmine for the producers. Unfortunately, the train has already left the station for these two, and I can’t see them making it very far, finishing where I think Nicolas and Donald should have ended up.

PREDICTION: 10th

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:25:09 AM »
When asked who he would model his style of game play after, he pointed to Season 7 winners Uchenna and Joyce, while Mike will model his game play after the "never say die" attitude of Charla and Mirna.

Every reason to love them. :hearts: (which i normally loathe all-male teams)

BUT, i'm guessing they will be one of the first three teams eliminated. Very big feeling about that.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:37:19 AM »
Meet the new teams on 'The Amazing Race'
By DERRIK J. LANG
AP Entertainment Writer

At 68, Mel White is the season's oldest contestant. The gay-rights activist and former speechwriter for Pat Robertson and Billy Graham is teamed up with his 38-year-old son Mike White, the actor-screenwriter who penned such films as "School of Rock" and "Nacho Libre." Despite the frantic pace of the race, Mike insists he didn't bicker much with his dad.

"Compared to some of the other teams, I think we got along like a Hallmark card," he said.

http://www.kansascity.com/402/story/1001410.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 10:47:43 AM »
Soulfource founder Rev. Dr. Mel White and son Mike White compete in "The Amazing Race" 14
by Brian Juergens

Mel and Mike White

This really IS amazing: gay writer and activist Rev. Dr. Mel White and his son, screenwriter/actor/producer Mike White (who is himself bisexual), are competing together on the next season of The Amazing Race, set to premiere in a few weeks.

Rev. Dr. White was once a ghostwriter for Jerry Falwell before coming out as gay and parting ways with the homophobic evangelical church. (His story is told in the documentary Friends of God and in his book Stranger at the Gate.) He is currently married to his husband, Soulforce co-head Gary Nixon.

White's son, Mike, is known for appearing in movies like the brilliantly unsettling Chuck & Buck (which he also wrote), School of Rock (which he also wrote), and The Good Girl (which he wrote). He also wrote and directed Year of the Dog (starring Molly Shannon) and was one of the forces behind the shortly-lived fan fave series Freaks & Geeks (in which he also briefly appeared).

To have two gay men who are also relatives and who actively work to promote visibility and understanding on the show is really awesome. Let's hope they last!

SOURCE
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
Oh I LOVe their video! they make me laugh, they are going to be FUN! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
I'm pretty sure this is my favorite team!

Offline retard boi

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
they are so cool  :hearts:
I wish they will do well

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
Mike will give us a lot of one liners while he's in the race. His writing experience practically guarantees this.
Just here to visit.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:42:32 PM »
Yep. I love them but I plause them as an early boot. Like all the father and sons!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 01:09:11 PM »
Lynchburg man to appear on ‘The Amazing Race’
By Casey Gillis

Published: January 26, 2009

When “The Amazing Race” premieres next month, Lynchburg will have something to root for.

Hill City resident Mel White, co-founder of the Christian gay-rights organization Soulfource, is running the race with his actor/director/screenwriter son, Mike.

“It was the most glorious, fun time of my life,” said Mel White, who is, at 68 years old, this season’s oldest contestant.

White said he’d never seen the show until recently, but had always heard about it from Mike, an avid fan.

The CBS reality series, now in its 14th season, follows teams of two — usually family members, friends and couples — as they race around the world, competing in various challenges along the way.

During each leg of the race, contestants must participate in two key challenges: a detour, in which they must choose between two tasks, each with its own pros and cons, and a road block, a task that only one team member has to complete.

The last team to check into a predetermined “pit stop” each week is eliminated, and the final team standing wins $1 million.

Other contestants this season include the show’s first deaf contestant, running the race with his mother; a Hawaii-bred stuntman and his jockey brother; and a couple from Martinsville.

White said the trip was an amazing bonding experience for him and Mike, whose writing credits include “The Good Girl,” “Nacho Libre,” “Orange County” and “School of Rock,” in which he also costarred with Jack Black.

“We started out close,” White said. “(But) he is so busy in Hollywood, and I’m so busy with my activism, we maybe see each other six or seven times a year.

“He said, ‘You’ve been wanting quality time, Dad. Well, you’ve gotten what you asked for.’”

Look for Mel and Mike’s reality debut at 8 p.m. Feb. 15.

SOURCE
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 01:54:08 PM »
One of the nice teams, though they do seem like a revised version of S3 Dennis & Andrew. And please tell me someone else noticed the relation between this team and S8's Black family...Should be eliminated in the middle episodes
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:55:48 PM »
haha. I watched their video. Really nice!

Mel: I have to play the senile card
I am soooo old can you help me
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 03:22:05 PM by Kiwi Jay »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
Wow they have the most media coverage .......

Mike White is on 'The Amazing Race'! Look how jazzed he is
Jan 26, 2009, 05:54 PM | by Annie Barrett

Categories: Television

It's not like I need any extra convincing to watch The Amazing Race, a.k.a. Why The Rest of the World Hates America, Plus: Gross Food! every season. But the casting of writer-director Mike White (pictured, right, totally jazzed) and his gay rights activist dad has me more pumped than ever. Mike, who wrote School of Rock and Nacho Libre and directed 2007's Year of the Dog, assures us that unlike some of the other teams, he and pops "got along like a Hallmark card." Boy better be talkin' 'bout Shoebox!

This Mike White announcement got me thinking. (I know, shocking. Brace yourselves.) If The Amazing Race had a cast of all Hollywood insider-y types, would Larry David not be THE BEST contestant in history? I spent the better part of our Monday meeting daydreaming about how many repetitions of the word "pret-ty..." Larry could get out before a stoic, thick-necked Trans-Siberian Railroad conductor would hurl him down the hatch and into the tundra. I guess real person Larry David wouldn't be as obnoxious as character Larry David, but still. (He could be partnered with Susie Essman!)

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/01/mike-white-tar.html

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 06:41:48 PM »
I'm SOOOOOO happy the cast is released!  It took a while but it's wonderful now! :yess:

My prediction for this team: 8th Place finish. They will last a little longer than expected, then will be eliminated.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 07:42:59 PM »
they use mac! <3
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
 :funny: haha I love Mel & Mike! But agreed, they will go early.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
they were on perez hilton today

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 02:30:42 AM »
haha. I watched their video. Really nice!

Mel: I have to play the senile card
I am soooo old can you help me

Where did we see that before? Perhaps a certain Ikea during a counting detour?

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 09:49:48 PM »
BUT, i'm guessing they will be one of the first three teams eliminated. Very big feeling about that.
Same.  I think Mel's age will hinder him and Mike enough to make them fall behind on at least the second or third leg.  Maybe fourth, if they get lucky enough to get that far.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline TARdevotee

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »
Sorry if that has already been mentioned, but this team got a Cheers in the Cheers and Jeers section of the newest issue of TV Guide!

"Cheers to Mike White for entering The Amazing Race as a dark horse. The hilarious screenwriter and actor best known for the Jack Black vehicles 'School of Rock' and 'Nacho Libre,' will compete on the new season of CBS' reality show (debuting February 15) with his father, Mel, a clergyman and a gay-rights activist. And even if the Whites don't win, the trip's sure to yield fodder for Mike's next comedy."

Can't wait to see this in action! Unfortunately, this was the only mention in TV Guide. I was hoping for a nice, long article or something being that the show is premiering. Instead, we get the new Survivors asking Jeff Probst a bunch of questions. Anyway, go Mel and Mike!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 06:49:32 PM »
thanks TARdevotee ..fresh off the press

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 06:19:59 PM »
And please tell me someone else noticed the relation between this team and S8's Black family...

Which is what? ???
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »
And please tell me someone else noticed the relation between this team and S8's Black family...

Which is what? ???
My guess?  The Blacks were black and had the last name Black.  Similarly, Mel & Mike (especially Mike) are white and have the last name White.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!