Author Topic: ♥♥♥ TAR14: "Margie" & Luke Adams - Mother & Son  (Read 56222 times)

Offline snap-on

• RFF Jr. Member
Re: •TAR14: "Margie" & Luke Adams - Mother & Son
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »
do you think Luke didn't know that a deaf people won the Amazing Race Asia 2 ?  :duno:

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2009, 10:06:05 PM »
do you think Luke didn't know that a deaf people won the Amazing Race Asia 2 ?  :duno:
Clearly not.  Or else he wouldn't have made that spiel on the mat last night.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:17:02 AM by Ashe »
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 12:06:18 AM »
Good Luck Margie & Luke and Happy RACE DAY!!  :wohoo:  :wohoo:

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 02:16:33 AM »
Clearly not.  Or else he wouldn't made that spiel on the mat last night.

It was clearly not a spiel but an inspiring moment. :)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
Re: ♥♥♥ TAR14: "Margie" & Luke Adams - Mother & Son
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »
I'm going to sound really mean here, but to me it seems like Luke is too dependent on Margie. Every time something gets slightly hard for him, his first response is to turn around and repeatedly ask for Margie's help, even in Roadblocks, which he knows are one person only. (This is most apparent in the bobsled task.)

Fair enough if he needs her to sign something to him so he knows what somebody has said, but his actions remind me quite painfully of Christina's oh-so-annoying "Daddy..." whine.

/rant

But I still love them...

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »
I'm going to sound really mean here, but to me it seems like Luke is too dependent on Margie. Every time something gets slightly hard for him, his first response is to turn around and repeatedly ask for Margie's help, even in Roadblocks, which he knows are one person only. (This is most apparent in the bobsled task.)

Fair enough if he needs her to sign something to him so he knows what somebody has said, but his actions remind me quite painfully of Christina's oh-so-annoying "Daddy..." whine.

/rant

But I still love them...

Well, it would be hard to be independent if he depends on her to communicate with the world, though he said he wants to need her less
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »

'SINISTER DEAF KID' RULES 'AMAZING RACE' By NICOLE HOMEWOOD

Luke Adams, who is profoundly deaf, and mom Margie have been dominating the field this season, showing no mercy to fellow travellers.

Posted: 2:25 am
March 23, 2009

A reality show is nothing without personalities you love, those you love to hate, and those you want to bungee off a cliff and not spring back.

In a very competitive new season of "The Amazing Race" filled with sexy former NFL cheerleaders, annoyingly attractive young couples and standout stuntmen the watercooler-worthy team people are talking about is the affable mother-and-son pair Margie and Luke Adams.

Or maybe it would be more appropriate to say, signing about.

They have won two out of five challenges thus far and are clearly the front-runners to win the $1 million prize. Not too shabby, considering that, at 51 years old, Margie is among the older contestants and Luke, 22, is profoundly deaf.

Luke's deafness might initially seem like a speedbump, if not a roadblock, to the team's success. But Margie and Luke came into the competition having long ago mastered one of the game's essential skills: communication.

Make no mistake, to win the "Race" like "Survivor" requires physical strength and stamina, street smarts and a fair amount of luck. When racing over 40,000 miles in 22 days to win a million bucks, it's best to get along and above all, understand each other.

But unlike "Survivor," this is a team game, and knowing how your teammate will react or perform is critical to your success. Margie and Luke anticipate the other's every move and use their own sign language system to talk.

Years of learning to understand each other without speaking means they have been able to strategize using only gestures.

They are mentally in-sync at all times, giving them an edge over teams like Cara Rosenthal and Jaime Edmondson whose bond was formed at tryouts for the Miami Dolphin cheerleading team and flight attendants Jodi Winchesker and Christie Volkmer who share a knowledge of the travel industry and, apparently, the benefits of peroxide.

Margie and Luke are likeable, but what has made them the most talked-about team is their ruthlessness.

Luke's tendency to mock his whining opponents caused one contestant to label him "the sinister deaf kid."

Knowing that only his mom will understand what he's saying, Luke often signs that he hopes the other teams miss their flights or similar "Race" calamities, and he constantly rolls his eyes when talking about his opponents.

The willingness of mother and son to invoke little-used options (like the "Blind U-Turn") to push already-trailing opponents farther behind in the race shows an unusual intensity even by reality TV standards.

In true parent/child fashion, they have quibbled over strategies like what detours to take, how to drive a Russian snowplow and how to carry 200 pounds of cheese down a steep Swiss hill. But in the end, Luke shrugs and says, "What can I do? She's my mom."

One footnote: all of the married or dating teams in the competition this season have already been eliminated.

Now that speaks volumes.

Nicole Homewood writes about TV for nypost.com.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03232009/tv/deaf_con_2_160896.htm
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 06:31:23 AM »
One footnote: all of the married or dating teams in the competition this season have already been eliminated.

Now that speaks volumes.

take that, season 6...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »
Margie and Luke cheer Phil off in Denver!

A huge thank you to Margie and Luke, who turned up in the pouring rain in Denver to support the start of one of my MS rides. Having you there meant a lot.  - Phil
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

NoluckBoston

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »

Now that speaks volumes.

take that, season 6...

lol hehe

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »

Haha, I knew about Adrian winning Amazing Race Asia 2 with his team partner, Colin. I mentioned it several times during the casting finals last summer to remind them that Asia version cast a deaf guy on the race and he won the race so it means that I could do it too. Even, I told the producers that if Adrian and Colin made it to the Final Three then my mom and I will make it to the Final Three too. That was back in July! Producers actually thought that I was little over-confident and cocky when I said that but turned out we made it to the end anyway! I thought that was funny.  Now, Adrian and I are emailing each other and trying to find a way to meet up at some point.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2009, 10:24:53 AM »
 :waves: Hi, Luke. Since it seems the next season will kick off soon, I got a little curious about last season's first hours. A few questions, if you don't mind.
  • Did the helicopters actually transport the teams from another location to Los Alamitos, or was it just a circle trip for the purpose of taking video?
  • Was there base activity during the shoot (tractor photo), or was that staged for the cameras?
  • Where were the MediaDay interviews done?

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
Man, where did you get the screen caps from!? Would love to have some screen caps of pit stops from Episode 4, 5, and 8!

Now, with the questions that you just asked, Slowhatch. I am not sure if I'm allowed to divulge "behind the scene" stuff??

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 12:48:51 PM »
There are several of us who keep episode videos (better quality than Youtube, at least); just let us know which scenes/viewpoints you want.
As for the first race hours, I wouldn't want to put you in any difficulty; It was just something I was curious about.

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2009, 02:34:05 PM »
The part where my mom and I reacted to Phil of which place we got. I have never thought in a million years that my mom and I would finished every leg in Top Four for entire race! I remember one time when I was thinking, "Man, we probably are screwed." when we're on our way to India since the legs in India are usually so difficult but man! I'm glad we barely made it through since Christie + Jodi and Mark + Mike only finished ten minutes behind us!

Sorry for babbling. :-p

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 06:29:19 PM »
I gave it a try; the missing episode is the fake pitstop at the Drum Tower.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 07:57:57 PM »
NICE Slowhatch!!

:ty:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
I gave it a try; the missing episode is the fake pitstop at the Drum Tower.
Good job thank you Slowhatch!  :jumpy:
And Luke you might want to go through the TAR14 episode threads there are loads of screencaps although most are watermarked so sorry.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 09:11:29 PM »
The part where my mom and I reacted to Phil of which place we got. I have never thought in a million years that my mom and I would finished every leg in Top Four for entire race! I remember one time when I was thinking, "Man, we probably are screwed." when we're on our way to India since the legs in India are usually so difficult but man! I'm glad we barely made it through since Christie + Jodi and Mark + Mike only finished ten minutes behind us!

Sorry for babbling. :-p
Please don't be sorry its not babbling to us its interesting and we appreciate you being here and sharing your experience Luke! :wohoo:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 11:06:56 PM »

Haha, I knew about Adrian winning Amazing Race Asia 2 with his team partner, Colin. I mentioned it several times during the casting finals last summer to remind them that Asia version cast a deaf guy on the race and he won the race so it means that I could do it too. Even, I told the producers that if Adrian and Colin made it to the Final Three then my mom and I will make it to the Final Three too. That was back in July! Producers actually thought that I was little over-confident and cocky when I said that but turned out we made it to the end anyway! I thought that was funny.  Now, Adrian and I are emailing each other and trying to find a way to meet up at some point.
I think that's awesome you guys are trying to meet. Adrian & Collin were among my favorite racers in TARA2. Fun people and I was so happy they won.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:46 AM »
:waves: Hi, Luke. Since it seems the next season will kick off soon, I got a little curious about last season's first hours. A few questions, if you don't mind.
  • Did the helicopters actually transport the teams from another location to Los Alamitos, or was it just a circle trip for the purpose of taking video?
  • Was there base activity during the shoot (tractor photo), or was that staged for the cameras?
  • Where were the MediaDay interviews done?

I can answer some of this:

Helicopter ride was just a circuit starting and ending at Los Alamitos.

Apparently  normal base activity was going on. I was told at one point they had to stop someone from driving a tractor as it was interfering w/ sound. That was apparently also  the cause of most filming delays...the sound man could hear a plane flying overhead or some other engine noise from far away and teams would have to pause until it stopped.

Media day was at CBS studios in the same bldg where they tape "The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson".

Thanks to some help from some friends! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2009, 01:36:35 AM »
 :thankyou: Thanks. I suspect it's been quite a few seasons (maybe going back all the way to TAR1) since intro vehicles were actually used for transport.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »
Adding that the "base activity was staged"....     ;D
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DeafRacer

• Amazing Racer
  • RFF VIP
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:43 PM »
 ;)

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster