Author Topic: ♥♥♥ TAR14: "Margie" & Luke Adams - Mother & Son  (Read 56223 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
♥♥♥ TAR14: "Margie" & Luke Adams - Mother & Son
« on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:11 AM »
Biography
Margie Adams (50); Luke Adams (22)
Hometown: Denver, Colo.
Occupation: Margaret (Clinical Research Associate); Luke (College Graduate)
Relationship: Mother/Son

This mother/son team is determined to show the world that nothing can stop them from living out their dreams. They enjoy hiking and traveling together and share a strong bond. Luke has been deaf since birth and Margie became his link to the hearing world. He uses American Sign Language to communicate.

Luke and his mother have developed their own short hand sign language and the ability to almost read each other’s mind – an ability that will undoubtedly come in handy on the road. One of the most moving moments they shared was when Luke surprised his mother by delivering a valedictorian speech at his graduation ceremony from Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind.

Margie is looking at this experience as a great opportunity to spend quality time with her son. She describes herself as competitive and a little controlling, but in a good way. She is willing to go anywhere the Race takes her and isn't afraid of adventure. She enjoys hiking and running while Luke also enjoys hiking and biking. Luke describes himself as talkative, determined and adventurous.

Luke hopes to be a role-model for deaf people everywhere while proving that the deaf can do just about anything and to never think otherwise. He believes his knowledge on the topic of anything and everything Race related - he’s one of the biggest fans of the show ever - will help his team win.

Margie and Luke are excited to see new places, experience new foods and learn about different cultures – all the while fulfilling a shared dream – to compete and win "The Amazing Race."

Watch CBS Videos Online
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:15:01 AM by puddin »
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
Re: •TAR14: "Margie" & Luke Adams - Mother & Son
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:19:42 AM »
Very cool team here. I hope they do win the race like Adrian and Collin from TARA2!!

And hopefully they're way cooler than Toni and Dallas (who rocks!!)

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
Hooray for TAR fans! I like this team, and I think they could do well, but I don’t think they are quite Toni and Dallas or Ronald and Christina material. I expect them to perform well early on, maybe take the first Fast Forward, but fall just short of being decoys.

PREDICTION: 7th

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:56 AM »
Meet the new teams on 'The Amazing Race'
By DERRIK J. LANG
AP Entertainment Writer

Most contestants on "The Amazing Race" must tackle language barriers during their trek around the world. As the reality series' first-ever deaf contestant, Luke Adams had double the trouble. The 22-year-old recent college grad and his mother Margie are among the 11 two-person teams racing for the $1 million prize in the upcoming 14th season.

"I thought it would be easy because my mother and I have always communicated really well," the longtime "Amazing Race" fan, who doesn't speak or read lips, said through an interpreter. "In the airports, my mom had to do all of the work because she had to do all of the talking. It was kind of hard for me to depend on her to do all of that."

"In the beginning, I think Luke didn't have a whole lot of trust that I was going to communicate all of the information that I was receiving to him properly," said Margie. "I would ask a question or for directions, and it would take five minutes to get the answer, then I'd give him a 30-second reply. He'd say, 'No, you didn't tell me everything.'"

http://www.kansascity.com/402/story/1001410.html
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 11:08:13 AM »
Being deaf is no handicap to winning the race, as TARA2 showed! Love their mother/son dynamic, can't wait to see more! :hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 12:30:05 PM »
I think they will do rather well. Middle of the pack for them, but not before surprising us.
Just here to visit.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:08:05 PM »
Lovely team. Hope they can make it. Really hoping there is a glimmer of hope for them and they can get further than expected!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 01:18:46 PM by Kiwi Jay »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 01:46:39 PM »
One thing's for sure: no bickering in this team! And also, they may bring the subtitlers a hell of a lot of work. I really can't say in which place they will arrive, but probably, they'll be the first NEL'd
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »
I'll bet they go far. I Love them!

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:45:24 PM »
The disadvantage I can see Luke having is particularly in a roadblock situation. Because he doesn't lip read or have any verbal communication, he may have a disadvantage by not being able to enlist help from locals or share information easily with other teams.

Communicating while self driving in a car might also be a problem. In TARA2, I believe Adrian was able to lip read, and had some vocal communication rather than being 100% dependent on sign.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
I think that this team will go far sheerly out of being loved by the producers. Not that it's always a bad thing, because I want to see them do well too, but they won't hit the F3.

Prediction: 5th place finish
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:17:14 PM »

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 09:03:52 PM »
Oh i love them - I hope they do well

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
Really an inspiring to see a deaf kid like him on the race. He's wanted to do it, people made fun of him, and now here he is! I really love them. Only problem I can see is when he has to do a roadblock and mom can't be their to sign for him.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 02:28:37 AM »
This will definately be the Charla story of Season 14.

In regards to driving, when was the last time we saw a team drive themselves? Therefore, no issues there.

For the roadblock tasks all the instructions are written down anyway, so unless he can't read, that shouldn't be a problem for them. As far as I know, the non participating team member is allowed to offer general coaching during the task, so I'm sure they will let Margie explain the task if need be.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2009, 06:49:47 AM »

For the roadblock tasks all the instructions are written down anyway, so unless he can't read, that shouldn't be a problem for them. As far as I know, the non participating team member is allowed to offer general coaching during the task, so I'm sure they will let Margie explain the task if need be.

Yeah, Toni's coaching really helped out Dallas in Moscow!!!!
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 10:26:40 AM »
Dr. Rox, that's unfair because that ROADLBOCK required them to be apart for multiple hours. Toni's coaching on Lenin and Stalin did result in his finding their statues, actually one more than was there. Dallas already knew the importance of retaining clues, passports and money but was not able to practice all of what he knew effectively when in a pressure-packed time-sensitive challange.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2009, 12:55:26 PM »
In regards to driving, when was the last time we saw a team drive themselves? Therefore, no issues there.

New Zealand Season 13. 
They have reduced self driving in recent seasons, but not removed it completely. If press releases quoting BvM are correct, the Producers have tried to reduce the use of flying this season, which means there will be an increase in other forms of ground transport, maybe including more self driving.

Some tasks lend themselves to getting help from the locals. While obviously a racer *can* always just complete it alone, numerous occasions have shown that asking the locals for directions/knowledge, or even a helping hand, have given a huge advantage. I'm sure Luke has developed numerous skills for communicating with those of us who are unable to understand sign, but in a time pressure situation, when he is separate from his Mum, even things like negotiating with a taxi driver would still possibly be an extra hurdle for him in comparison to the other racers.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 01:44:35 PM »
I think i definitely do not see this team possibly winning, but i believe they won't be the first boot as well because Luke needs to "prove himself to the world" as stated in his bio like Charla before getting eliminated at 6th and 7th, like Charla and Mirna in TAR 5 and Peter and Sarah in TAR 10.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
I think they'll do well.  They sure as hell won't go out first (I'm saving that bet for Steve & Linda), but I don't think they'll win, either.  Maybe . . . fifth or sixth?  Sad fourth-place finish, even?
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 06:12:52 PM »
I think they'll do well.  They sure as hell won't go out first (I'm saving that bet for Steve & Linda), but I don't think they'll win, either.  Maybe . . . fifth or sixth?  Sad fourth-place finish, even?

You know, it would be kind of interesting to see a team like this actually be the first eliminated. It would be sad, but at least we would actually get a major surprise. As far as I can tell, that has never happened before. The team that is very disadvantaged in a unique way (not like Anita & Arthur just being old) always exceeds expectations...maybe we should just expect them to do well from now on.

Anyway, sorry for that ramble.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
RIT/NTID Grad Proud to be an Amazing Racer

NTID News - February 12, 2009 

"Money was a nice perk if it happened, but I really, really wanted to experience it. I just love the games," he said.

Luke, 23, of Monument, Colo., is the first deaf contestant on the popular CBS reality show. He and his mother, Margie, 51, are one of 11 teams to race on the show's next season, starting at 8 p.m. on Feb. 15.

Teams are given clues that lead them around the world, often to exotic locations. They are confronted with physical and mental tasks. Once those tasks are completed, they receive additional clues. The last team to check in each week is usually eliminated. The winning team during the show's finale shares $1 million.

Luke and his mother began the race with the other teams on Oct. 31, 2008 in California. The contestants are not allowed to discuss the race or the outcome, but taping continued through Nov. 21. The winners traveled 40,000 miles and visited nine countries.

Luke, a devoted fan of the show, applied to be a contestant three previous times. He first applied for a season that featured four family members per team.

When he turned 21, Luke applied again, this time with another RIT/NTID student as a teammate. The producers were impressed, but suggested Luke do the race with someone who he was closer with and who could hear and help interpret. So he began to persuade his mother to join him.

Margie admits she really hadn't watched much of the show before she was selected as a contestant.

"When Luke started to apply, he started begging me to go on," she said during a recent phone interview. "The more and more I watched it, the more I liked it. We went on the show for the experience. Luke had been away at college for five years and we hadn't spent much time together."

Luke and Margie were only accompanied on the race by a camera man and a sound man. "I never considered my mom as the interpreter," Luke said. "She was a teammate to me. We went in as mother and son."

During a pre-race interview, Margie and Luke said using sign language may be an advantage so they could communicate and strategize privately.

Born deaf, Luke received a cochlear implant but doesn't use it. He communicates using American Sign Language. "I'm definitely big-D Deaf," he said.

Luke graduated from the Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind in Colorado Springs. He says the decision to attend RIT/NTID was easy after he visited several colleges.

"As soon as I saw RIT/NTID, it was hands down where I wanted to go," he said. "I love that school. I wanted to go to a mainstreamed school, get a good education and I wanted to be exposed to both deaf and hearing people. RIT was perfect."

Luke, who received a bachelor's degree in criminal justice in 2008, learned he was selected to be a contestant last summer. So he said he didn't seriously look for a job in that field knowing he'd be on the show. He currently works at Starbucks.

Margie works as a quality assurance associate for a pharmaceutical company.

Both Margie and Luke have already gotten many emails from friends, strangers and former Amazing Race cast members who told them to enjoy their 15 minutes of fame.

"We're both really looking forward to seeing the show," Margie says. "When you're doing it, you only know what you're doing. It will be fun to see what the other teams were doing. We're really excited and looking forward to it."

Luke says he'd do the show again, perhaps if they had another season with former cast members competing.

But regardless of his finish, he says he accomplished what he wanted: "I'm very proud to be the first Deaf contestant on 'The Amazing Race.' It was a very, very cool experience. I just hope I make the Deaf community proud!"

http://www.ntid.rit.edu/media/full_text.php?article_id=861

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 12:42:52 AM »
 :hearts: 2 more DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monument son, mom team up on ‘Amazing Race’
ANDREW WINEKE
February 13, 2009 - 11:11PM
When you don't speak the language, it doesn't much matter whether you can hear what people say.

That's the beauty of "The Amazing Race" for the show's first deaf contestant, Monument resident Luke Adams.

"I just figured, if people don't speak English, the other teams would be at the same disadvantage," Adams said as his mother and teammate on the show, Margie Adams, interpreted during a telephone interview.

Luke, 23, and Margie, 51, were one of 11 teams competing in the 14th season of the CBS reality show, in which two-person teams race from point-to-point and compete in challenges around the world. The new season, filmed in November, premieres Sunday.

Adams recently graduated from the National Technical Institute for the Deaf at the Rochester Institute of Technology in New York with a degree in criminal justice. In 2003, he was his class valedictorian at the Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind in Colorado Springs.

A longtime fan of the show, Adams applied four times before finally making the cut for this season.

"I started to think about applying when I was 16," Adams said. "When I saw the first show, I loved it - I wanted to be the first deaf person to do the race."

For Margie, finally getting on the show was exciting, but a little overwhelming.

"I was kind of, ‘Oh, what have I gotten myself into,'" Margie said. "I was a little bit worried I wouldn't be able to keep up."

After getting the news they'd made the show, the Adamses had only a month to prepare.

They beefed up their quads hiking the Manitou Incline - which helped a lot, Margie said - and took a map reading class - which, surprisingly, didn't.

"We tried to prepare ourselves, but I'm not sure there was anything you can do to prepare yourself for that adventure," Margie said.

"It challenges you in ways you never expect to be challenged," Luke said. "It really gave us both some confidence."

The only time that Luke's deafness proved to be a major drawback was in the driving legs of the race, which require one team member to drive while the other person navigates from the back seat. That arrangement made it difficult to communicate through sign language.

"It's just a hard thing to do anyway," Margie said.

Most of the time, Luke's experience gesturing and conveying his meaning nonverbally proved to be a bonus on the show, Margie said.

"I think we had the advantage over the other teams," she said. "People were very, very willing to talk with us."

‘THE AMAZING RACE' DETAILS

The 14th season of the reality show premieres at 7 p.m. Sunday on CBS.

http://www.gazette.com/common/printer/view.php?db=colgazette&id=48121

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 10:27:01 AM »
I really hope they do well. Adrian & Collin from TARA has to be a blueprint for them, but as we've mentioned, Adrian could read lips while Luke cannot so that's going to be an interesting dynamic in this race.
Just here to visit.

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2009, 01:58:49 AM »

You know, it would be kind of interesting to see a team like this actually be the first eliminated. It would be sad, but at least we would actually get a major surprise. As far as I can tell, that has never happened before. The team that is very disadvantaged in a unique way (not like Anita & Arthur just being old) always exceeds expectations...maybe we should just expect them to do well from now on.

Anyway, sorry for that ramble.

They have exceeded all expectations by even winning the first leg!! :jam: