Author Topic: Network News  (Read 1941 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Network News
« on: January 22, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »
So why am I posting about ABC here, you ask? Because ABC Studio has a piece of TAR, so this means that that piece will be headed by a new team...

[01.22.09 - 08:51 AM]
DISNEY/ABC TELEVISION GROUP ANNOUNCES ORGANIZATIONAL RESTRUCTURE
Released by ABC

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DISNEY/ABC TELEVISION GROUP ANNOUNCES ORGANIZATIONAL RESTRUCTURE

ABC ENTERTAINMENT AND ABC STUDIOS TO BE HEADED BY STEPHEN McPHERSON

MARK PEDOWITZ TO BECOME SENIOR ADVISOR TO THE OFFICE OF THE CO-CHAIRMAN, REPORTING TO ANNE SWEENEY

Thursday, January 22, 2009 -- Burbank, CA . .  Responding to the changing realities of the entertainment landscape, and addressing an opportunity to streamline the creative process, ABC Entertainment and ABC Studios will be operated as a coordinated business unit entitled ABC Entertainment Group, it was announced today by Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney-Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group. This newly formed unit will be managed by President Stephen McPherson, who had previously served as president, ABC Entertainment. Mark Pedowitz, former president, ABC Studios, has moved into a new role as senior advisor to the Office of the Co-Chairman, where he will work alongside Ms. Sweeney on a myriad of evolving business, labor relations and emerging media issues. In commenting on the announcement, Ms. Sweeney stated: "The landscape of our business and an opportunity to coalesce the creative process dictated this change in structure. By operating these units in a coordinated fashion, we'll be able to present the industry with a unified, cohesive creative vision for ABC programming, which will serve us well as we move forward." She continued, "Thanks to the quality of leadership and professional excellence exhibited by both Steve and Mark, we are able to implement this change and ensure that a smooth integration occurs. Mark's years of experience on both the business and creative sides of the equation make him the perfect person to have in a key advisory position, especially with the multitude and complexity of the issues facing our industry today. And there is no one more passionate about the creative process, with as much proven business acumen, as Steve. This combination is why I'm so excited about this new management structure, and what it means for the future of the Disney/ABC Television Group."

The newly formed ABC Entertainment Group will combine ABC Studios and ABC Entertainment, with all operations of the two separate units reporting to Mr. McPherson. The new division's primary mandate will be to develop and produce compelling programming for broadcast on ABC. However, when appropriate, the studio will look for outside opportunities. The successful partnership between ABC Studios and ABC Entertainment prior to this announcement has delivered some of the most successful, talked-about and evolutionary series on television today, including "Desperate Housewives," "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy," "Ugly Betty" and "Brothers & Sisters." Mr. McPherson will spend the next few months integrating the units, with input from Mr. Pedowitz.

Mr. McPherson, who had previously served as president of the studio when it was named Touchstone Television and developed "Desperate Housewives," "Lost" and "Grey's Anatomy" prior to assuming oversight of the network, commented: "I'm thrilled and honored that Anne has entrusted me once again with the Studio, and I'm looking forward to discovering ways in which the studio-network relationship, which has been pretty impressive to date, can be even more potent and successful going forward."

Stephen McPherson Biography:

As president of ABC Entertainment since April 2004, Stephen McPherson has been the driving force behind the network's primetime comeback, with a strategy focused on quality content and a willingness to rebuild and redirect key units, including drama, alternative, development and marketing to support and deliver that content.

Prior to joining ABC, he was president of Touchstone Television. During his tenure at Touchstone, Mr. McPherson developed several other successful series for the network, including "Alias," "8 Simple Rules," "According to Jim," "My Wife and Kids," "Hope & Faith," "Less than Perfect," "Once and Again" and "The Job." He and his team also developed the successful "CSI" drama franchise and the award-winning alternative series "Amazing Race" for CBS, as well as the critically acclaimed comedy, "Scrubs," and "Monk," which became a hit for the USA network. He originally joined Touchstone as an executive vice president of the studio.

Full story here:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20090122abc01

Nice for TAR to have friends in high places!! :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Network News
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
I am not a fan of McPherson's due to unrelated reasons, but if he can keep TAR on the air, then I can quickly change my position.
Just here to visit.