Author Topic: The Big Question ...  (Read 6623 times)

Offline ca71447

• RFF Newbie
The Big Question ...
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:05:32 PM »
Here is the BIG Question ... has anyone heard whether or not there will be a TAR 15?  The non-confirmed rumor I had heard was that TAR 14 is going to be the last season.  Please tell me this is not the case ....

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
Re: The Big Question ...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
If there is (Which there probably will be) than it may be another delayed season, if cbs doesn't do something quick.
 :ascared   :groan:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Here is the BIG Question ... has anyone heard whether or not there will be a TAR 15?  The non-confirmed rumor I had heard was that TAR 14 is going to be the last season.  Please tell me this is not the case ....

We have heard this every season for the last few. AllStars was going to be the last. TAR 12 was "definitely" going to be the last. Thanks to the strike, we got a bonus with both TAR 13 and 14 being scheduled. But at this point, it seems to be season by season, so I am sure ratings will be a factor.  I know that the "purse strings" are being tightened, so perhaps things are not as sure as we would like them to be.

We have had several seasons that filmed in the summer for fall airing, so there is still time. Let's all just hope we see applications going up!

And :welcome: ,  ca71447!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »
CBS does not announce shows for the fall season until the network upfronts in April.
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
But if there is going to BE a fall season for us, applications and Interviews need to be coming up in the next few months for a race to run in the summer. If they are going back to one show a year, then those things might not happen till almost fall. I think that is what Snooky meant?
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:19:03 AM »
Is there a possibility that TAR 15 could be an All-Star edition or, even forbid, a psuedo-celebrity version?

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:32:22 AM »
We don't know. No one knows at this point. TAR15 has not even been green-lighted.
Just here to visit.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 05:33:19 PM »
If it doesn't happen than I will have to find a new favorite show! But there really should be applications by now, shouldn't there?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »
I don't think that there will be another all-stars version.  The ratings were bad compared to other seasons. 
  :(

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
If it doesn't happen than I will have to find a new favorite show! But there really should be applications by now, shouldn't there?
Not necessarily. CBS will probably do a double casting call for TAR and Survivor like it usually does.
Just here to visit.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 12:15:20 AM »
Maybe they'll follow survivors lead and go with a Fans vs. Favorites. (I don't think this is too outlandish seeing as Micronesia was one of the best ever Survivor seasons.)

Or, even more out there, a Fans with Favorites.

Whatever they do, I want to see more Kynt and Vyxsin

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
Per opinion.

Based on my fairly detailed analysis of the ratings (and not just of AR) and assuming that this spring cycle has roughly the same performance level, I would expect a 1 cycle renewal and the show held as a back up (similar to season 12).

As for the ideas mention above of an all star season or a mixed fans versus favorites.  On all stars I se very little chance of this.   While all stars did perform worse then seasons 10 and 12, it still showed year to year increases over the last spring edition (season 9).  But CBS was disappointed by those numbers.  So I would say no.

As to a mix, I wont beat no chance at all.  BUt that is based only on the difference in what the race is, compared to what surviver is.  On survivor the game constantly changes, your team one leg might be your enemy the next.  You also actively try and remove people you see as threats, something that is almost impossible in TAR.

And one thing almost every single racer has ever said is that the show is much harder then it appears.  That would give teams that had already run a huge, huge advantage over new racers.  From how to pack, to being sleep deprived, to how to interact with locals, what type of risks to take, how to maneuver with flights, how to beg and get assistance. 

And the casting as always said they like to cast based on relationships (good and bad).  They aren't going to cast people who don't know each other (certainly not all 11 teams).

The only thing I can see is them "stunt" casting.  While they say they don't like to do this, I could see declining viewership be a factor making them change their minds.

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
Based on my fairly detailed analysis of the ratings (and not just of AR) and assuming that this spring cycle has roughly the same performance level, I would expect a 1 cycle renewal and the show held as a back up (similar to season 12).

That had better not happen again! That was the worst wait ever! Way too long! :groan:
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
Again, in this recession, I would take a one cycle renewal over nothing. While CBS is doing well in the ratings, it's unloading employees and properties as if it's about to sell the entire network for a bag of hockey pucks. Even the NFL which was "recession-proof" at one time is now selling ads like it used to. CBS is not making money at all and there are rumors it may merge with Time Warner or even get sold to one of the other networks (NBC/ABC).
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 11:33:58 PM »
Wow, sold?

That's even worse than what I am hearing.... :'(
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 11:47:13 PM »
Nooooooo. I would just die if this was to happen. CBS had better boost it's ratings!  (:;)
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 03:44:49 AM »
Again, in this recession, I would take a one cycle renewal over nothing. While CBS is doing well in the ratings, it's unloading employees and properties as if it's about to sell the entire network for a bag of hockey pucks. Even the NFL which was "recession-proof" at one time is now selling ads like it used to. CBS is not making money at all and there are rumors it may merge with Time Warner or even get sold to one of the other networks (NBC/ABC).

It certainly doesn't look like a prosperus future for 09

I can't help read all the articles floating around

I did come across this article .... a small quote "CBS Corp. CEO Leslie Moonves told investors last week, “I feel much more optimistic in '09 than I did in '08.”

Link to the article: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6628235.html

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 11:38:15 AM »
He did say that, but owner Sumner Redstone is telling his advisers something else.
Just here to visit.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 06:11:48 PM »
CBS should do season 15 as soon as possible for the sake of gas prices. 
Unfortunately, plane ticket prices have mostly not gone down.

:stare :dontgo:

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 08:38:55 AM »
As I said in another thread, I think the show is reaching the end of the line, with the reduction of legs among other things to cut costs. It just did not seem to be the same after All-Stars (which I thought was a complete disaster).

If cancelled by CBS, I like to see one of the cable networks pick it up, and go back to the way it was in the first few seasons (but with the roadblock rule).

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:20:52 AM »
But the U-TURN idea's really great? I mean, better than the Yield which teams just stood there and wait. And i love the speedbump addition, but there needs to be something changed about the speedbump, like if you still haven't complete the task after 30minutes, you're allowed to leave or something like that.

And i really hope and believe there will be a TAR 15. Afterall, Survivor has been dropping in ratings like nobody's business but there's still seasons after seasons.

I don't know, i haven't actually thought of the day when TAR no longer shows. I mean, i still can settle for TAR Asia.. but who needs only one version of TAR when you can have TWO. :jumpy:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 02:31:01 PM »
but who needs only one version of TAR when you can have TWO. :jumpy:
or FIVE
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »
The recent seasons (Seasons 12 and 13) just haven't felt the same.
 If CBS does ditch it, I do hope another channel picks it up.  Even though I highly doubt it.  And I don't really like the amazing race asia.
 :'(

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 11:56:45 PM »
I think the TAR Asia's getting better.. but they need to cast less mactorish teams. *cough* Marc and Rovilson *cough*

And the funny thing is, TAR Asia 1 and TAR 2 are won by the minority non mactors wannabe or mactors in the race!! :D

Not TAR Asia 3 though.. :duno: