Author Topic: rewatching season 4  (Read 12155 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: rewatching season 4
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »
Its funny Season 4 is often judged as one of the worst seasons of AR, and I never, never understood it.

And how can you not love the first episode Puddin.  Sure the canon fodder was first out, but at that point in the shows history that typically wasn't the case.

In fact, in most cases the team I think  (based on just the press photos and info) will be first out isn't.  Only season 4, 8, 9, and 13 had the teams I just knew should be first go out first.  So I can't fault the season for the first time it actually happened.

Plus I loved the location here, its the only time the show has opened in the first leg with snow tasks. 

I do think that I was amazed that Steve and Dave made it as long as they did (this seasons Gutsy Grannies).

The only real problems I had with this season is the number of spats between racers and the bitter interactions between team mates.

I hated that Amanda and Chris were eliminated, I loved them even with them fighting.

I think the biggest complaint that really hit the show was the number of all male teams (a series high), the length that those teams made it to the end, and that two of them were what people would call alpha male teams.ANd I do agree that 5 all male teams is certainly one two many, and having 2 strong and fit male teams is one two many.  But it certainly didn't impact my enjoyment of this season.

Needless to say casting after this season really, really cut the number of male teams and what type those teams are for the rest of the shows history. 

And the "alpha male teams" are now something that rarely gets cast on the show.  After season 4.  We have had only Brian & Greg (season 7), Eric & Jeremy (season 9) and Tyler & James (season 10, you might also include Erwin and Godwin who were fit and young but were apparently the idea of competition is such a foreign concept to them, I can't put them on this list).

As for tasks and locations, I really loved this one.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 06:14:09 PM »
mswood, I didn't like the flights and bus charts, last bus a whopping 4 hours behind hate!

I like Reichen and Chip more now then I did when TAR4 first aired, I'm pretty sure I was rooting for Dave and Jeff.
I didn't care for the Malaysia legs/tasks but the Fast Forward that Reichen & Chip did, the orangutans was pretty cool.
I am glad Kelly & Jon beat Millie and Chuck in this leg, I just could not stand her, Millie, one more second but will admit she was a tough cookie but she irritated me to no end.

Oh and the language this season that came with the bickering! Wow they would never get away with this now  :lol:
Obviously the teams were tired and cranky leg 2 in North Borneo....it was a pretty exhausting leg.

Leg 10 coming up! Korea and the squid eating  :yess:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
mswood, I didn't like the flights and bus charts, last bus a whopping 4 hours behind hate!

I like Reichen and Chip more now then I did when TAR4 first aired, I'm pretty sure I was rooting for Dave and Jeff.
I didn't care for the Malaysia legs/tasks but the Fast Forward that Reichen & Chip did, the orangutans was pretty cool.
I am glad Kelly & Jon beat Millie and Chuck in this leg, I just could not stand her, Millie, one more second but will admit she was a tough cookie but she irritated me to no end.

Oh and the language this season that came with the bickering! Wow they would never get away with this now  :lol:
Obviously the teams were tired and cranky leg 2 in North Borneo....it was a pretty exhausting leg.

Leg 10 coming up! Korea and the squid eating  :yess:
Don't forget THE plunge in the frozen lake
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 08:06:29 PM »
Men in their skivvies! Communication break down!! On to EP11 *better get the tissues ready  :'(*

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 10:21:31 PM »
you should leave enough for "go karen! you can do it!" next season
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »
you should leave enough for "go karen! you can do it!" next season

As well as for Lena & Kristy and the cursed hay bales in season 6.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Umass

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • 4y
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Molly the Mole made me laugh out loud. I felt bad for Chuck & Millie because they were always tagged with "Virgins" under their names. :lol:

But this is really where I truly fell in love with the race. You had Jon & Al for fun, Kelly & Jon for humor (although he was racist against Asians, I didn't like that), Steve & Dave for threatening to slash tires, David & Jeff for having no personality whatsoever, and Chip's intensity that I was practically rooting for he and Reichen to flip the car in Australia :lol:

TAR4 was the worst for me now it has been replaced by TAR13 as the bottom feeder. At least TAR4 had interesting tasks and places (live oct. eatn).
I don't know why C&M needed to tell everyone they are virgins? Like, the world does not need to know your sex lives.
Jon attacked everyone. He attacked C&R for being gay. The guy is crude but so is Kelly so they are perfect for each other. TAR4 was one of the least enjoyable races of the entire season.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 02:49:57 PM »
I would've loved to see the S12 cast doing the S4 tasks
The story so far:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
:yess: .. walking in the shark tank!

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 03:39:08 PM »
K&V would've ruined their makeup though...
The story so far:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »
K&V would've ruined their makeup though...
:lol:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 06:57:25 PM »
or they would've been denied the entrance to the tank
The story so far:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 08:01:26 PM »
Would you stop  :funny:

So I just finished season 4 and am crying like a dork, another beautiful ending! I am now glad that Reichen n Chip beat Kelly and her asshole    :jam:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 08:14:05 PM »
haha  :lol: Time for a rewatching series 5 thread ! whooo!  :yess:
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »
Would you stop  :funny:

So I just finished season 4 and am crying like a dork, another beautiful ending! I am now glad that Reichen n Chip beat Kelly and her asshole    :jam:
don't you mean her cookie? :P

P.S. I might join you on S5 revival
The story so far:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »
You all are too funny!  :lol: No cdfe, I said asshole but thats funny  :lol:

I might start TAR5 tonight... nothing on tv,  home alone right now and all :sucks

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
the site I use with no interruptions does not have season 5! DARN! Now I'm going to have to suffer thru youtube .............wahhhhhhhh

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »
Sending you another link, lol....
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 01:13:09 PM »
Memorable quote... "Come on Flo".