Author Topic: rewatching season 1  (Read 13903 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
rewatching season 1
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:44:34 PM »
rewatching season one but I'm all over the place looking for episodes, I had links bookmarked to the websites that have all the seasons but have since wiped all my folders clean so if someone can help me find those links I'd appeciate it.

I'm just past EP9 ..and is it strange to watch again but I'm enjoying it.

-real greeters as greeters at the pitstops
-Phil only appearing when the last team arrives
- predicatable non-elim legs
- Fast Forward every leg
-Phil's awkwardness, explaining tasks with his hands, like some of us Italians do  :cmas20
-Phils baby face, is he wearing makeup?
-Loving the Guidos although originally I had seething hate for them, I laugh at their childish, sabotaging ways now.
-Kevin & Drew, as big as their hearts
-Rob & Brennan....BORING!
-Matt & Ana I hardly knew yee
-Lenny was such a pussy and admitted so
-Paul & Amie , bitch please
-Love Frank & Margarita, my original very first favorite team......I remember crying when they didn't win
-(((((((((((Dave & Margaretta <<<<<<<<33333333333)))))))))))))))))

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: rewatching season 1
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »
Alot of Season 1 was baby stuff as was Survivor Borneo Season 1!  :cmaslol
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »
Alot of Season 1 was baby stuff as was Survivor Borneo Season 1!  :cmaslol
I insisted on buying Borneo and have yet to get half way through it, I could hardly stand it  :cmaslol
But TAR! I'm hooked all over again  :cmas23

still looking for episode 10 though *groan*

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:24:30 PM »
KiwiJay,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find season 1 as full of exciting action and some fascinating teams. To call it baby stuff is not warranted at all.

puddin,
I absolutely agree with you on Frank and Margarita. Frank got the label "loud and pushy" by Miss Alli at TWOP, but I felt that he was strongly assertive.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:28:01 PM »
I liked K/D and the guidos better on season 1 than in all-stars, it was as if they'd had a role reversal
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 09:49:31 PM »
Actually, I hated the Guidos in S1, especially for the airport stuff with Momily. Didn't like that at all. But I have to admit after seeing them in All-Stars, they're really great guys. Plus, who could not love that toast to evil in TAR1? That was tremendous.

I loved TAR1 because it really set the table for the rest of the seasons. Plus, there were moments that were actually music-free. Kevin & Drew gave us some great moments. And who could forget, LEN-NEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!
Just here to visit.

Offline DerekCL

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 10:18:34 PM »
rewatching season one but I'm all over the place looking for episodes, I had links bookmarked to the websites that have all the seasons but have since wiped all my folders clean so if someone can help me find those links I'd appeciate it.

Puddin, you can watch all TAR season here (I did it): http://www.tarwaddict.net/videos.htm or here: http://www.agroovysite.com/tv-series/the-amazing-race

It was quite a challenge for me to watch Season 1. Because I became a TAR fan by watching Season 9. After that, I watched Seasons 10 to 12. But despite that, it has memorable moments and memorable teams: Frank & Margarita, Momily (To think they could've eliminated the Guidos if they had chosen to do the Detour), Kevin & Drew, first break-up (Lenny & Karyn)

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 10:41:32 PM »
LEN-NEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

That gives the DVD 40% of its value :cmaslol It even beats Gretchen
The story so far:
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 01:13:28 AM »

Puddin, you can watch all TAR season here (I did it): http://www.tarwaddict.net/videos.htm or here: http://www.agroovysite.com/tv-series/the-amazing-race

It was quite a challenge for me to watch Season 1. Because I became a TAR fan by watching Season 9. After that, I watched Seasons 10 to 12. But despite that, it has memorable moments and memorable teams: Frank & Margarita, Momily (To think they could've eliminated the Guidos if they had chosen to do the Detour), Kevin & Drew, first break-up (Lenny & Karyn)
I was using those sites but after x Amount of minutes of watching you have to wait 54 minutes to resume because you used up your allowed minutes, or of course you can pay to join which I won't do. If they videos were a high quality I'd consider it  :cmaslol
I liked K/D and the guidos better on season 1 than in all-stars, it was as if they'd had a role reversal

OMG no words were ever truer!!

Actually, I hated the Guidos in S1, especially for the airport stuff with Momily. Didn't like that at all. But I have to admit after seeing them in All-Stars, they're really great guys. Plus, who could not love that toast to evil in TAR1? That was tremendous.

I loved TAR1 because it really set the table for the rest of the seasons. Plus, there were moments that were actually music-free. Kevin & Drew gave us some great moments. And who could forget, LEN-NEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Yes you can hear them walking and breathing as well as tearing open the clues! That's what was missing, the music!

Oh and gotta love Phil, for instance describing detours which he'd never get away with now.

--" ...this place or that place"
--"..... take a photo of the foot or the hoof"

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 01:15:39 AM »
Um I actually do have a right to say it was "baby stuff" because the other seasons are much better and it pales in comparison to other seasons! there are ALOT of things they could change and lucky they did too  :cmas16
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 03:30:31 AM »
I have another set of links, puddin check your PM's. In order to avoid the chance of these being taken down, I am not putting the link here, but feel free to let me know if you need it...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:55:40 AM »
Remember though too that being the first season everything was fresh and new. The challanges, the places, the rules, the regulations, Phil's place in the whole thing. Many things have changed, saome for the better, some not. But, the fact that The Amazing Race is still going strong is a testiment to all those involved from Phil, the Racers and the production staff to the camera people, sound people and beuracrats that allow all of this to happen.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 12:00:53 PM »
Puddin

I love this season, though I truely miss Phil at the mat.  And I really liked Rob & Brennan (I like nice guys and gals).

I hated (until about leg4 or 5) Kevin & Drew who were awful to each other.  Its funny if it was a male/ female team that talked that way to each other I think people would have a completely different opinion about Kevin & Drew.

But we had quite a bit of really extreme characters.  Kim & Leslie hate, Loud and Pushy Frank, Kevin & Drew screaming at each other, Amie's constant crying, Paul constant threats to quit if she kept crying. Lenny and Karin relationship falling completely apart.

And I tend not to like the really extreme characters (TTOW!), so I liked Dave and Margaretta, Momily, Rob & Brennan.

But I loved the locations and the tasks.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 12:30:31 PM »
I wonder what would've been of the betting internet sites, had TAR kept the same intro style from Season 1
The story so far:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 12:44:42 PM »
The shot of Kevin and Drew (actually not them but still...) silhouetted against the sky as they ran across the bridge to the Falls was what made me lose my heart completely to TAR...

Season one was fresh and new, and the racers had NO idea what to expect, nor, as viewers did we. Which was the charm of that first season.

TARA 1 had the same freshness about it as well.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2008, 01:09:20 PM »
Really the only real problem with season 1 I had, is that I really, really missed Phil.  But the locations starting with the very first leg all the way to the next to last episode (I did think the last episode was weak with almost nothing in NY city before the final task).

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
My take on it being different was because I started watching TAR from Series 3 onwards and missed out on the first 2. Seeing them was great but I feel they were only stepping stones and thats why I felt they were babyish. Because I didnt start from the beginning...Im a cheater  :cmaslol

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
I agree peach, Kevin and Drew running across the bridge at the falls rocked

Amies crying and barfing, and Paul's negative tude, glad they were out early.

I didn't care for Tunisia, and was with Drew on his take, too much sand.
Kevin and Drew also had some memorable quotes "swing you fat bastard..! and then Kevin I think said he left one of his balls rolling around the streets of Beijing during the rickshaw race with the Guidos :lol: , the race itself is only something that can be seen on TAR! What other show does that!?

The Guidos cheaping out on there fare after winning the Fast Forward and getting lucky not to get eliminated due to Momily's detour choice, not to do it then getting a whopping 24 hour time penalty!

Theres just so much to note such as the real first India culture shock, i was shocked! And all the places they went in India, wow!

Disappointed too mswood with the lack of Phil, I thought at least he would have been there to congratulate the final 3 teams and making the final 3 but no he only showed up to tell the fat bastards they had been eliminated, even so he truly seemed choked up for them.

Thanks peach for providing me with the links  :kisses .. i still have EP 12 & 13 to get thru then on to season 2 :jam:

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 04:01:26 PM »
I'm only missing 3 episodes of season 6 and I'll have seen them ALL mwahaha. At least ever since season 1 we know that skipping a detour is not pretty
The story so far:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 10:12:59 PM »
Oh, and don't forget Phil's voiceover describing the race in the open! I think only one or two episodes had Phil-free voiceovers for the beginning.

Paul pissed me off and his attitude that he was only doing it for Amie and he didn't care showed me his character. And since then, hasn't Paul tried to cash in on his TAR appearance through acting and producing movies?

To me, Kevin & Drew made the season. I think the producers were thinking they might be "Ugly Americans", but they turned out to be the highlight for me with their putdowns of each other and their appreciation of the countries they visited. Momily was another highlight, but I think I had the proverbial crush on Nancy.....  :mas25 :mas25

No, seriously that crush was on Emily. We haven't heard from her since I don't think.

Dave & Margaretta were such a nice couple and they set the standard for older couples on the race that pretty much continues to this day. I'll miss Margaretta. RIP.

And just for one more time, LEN-NEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!! :cmaslol :cmaslol
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:18:09 PM by TARAsia Fan »
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
Really the only real problem with season 1 I had, is that I really, really missed Phil.  But the locations starting with the very first leg all the way to the next to last episode (I did think the last episode was weak with almost nothing in NY city before the final task).
mswood, you have an interesting point to consider, but there is a flip side to this. Any extra time given to New York City would have been at the expense of Alaska, which was also part of AR1, Ep.13. Does that really sound like a good idea to you? It doesn't to me. I would much rather see Alaska than NYC(although living near it does take the bloom off a bit).

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
As a native alaskan I have no problem with the amount of time the show has spent in that state, but one of my biggest complaionts about the finale leg (of all but season 112 and 13) is that due to equilizers mid leg, it makes it easier for any team to win.  And that leg was the worst offender out of all final legs.  They should have ended it in alaska.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »
As a native alaskan I have no problem with the amount of time the show has spent in that state, but one of my biggest complaionts about the finale leg (of all but season 112 and 13) is that due to equilizers mid leg, it makes it easier for any team to win.  And that leg was the worst offender out of all final legs.  They should have ended it in alaska.
Leg 12 was a waste of time for me, the equalizers, the blanket tossing to see the clue in the show that was not more than 10 feet away, visible to the naked eye. They could have squeezed this leg into the final leg.
And then we have Franks tude in leg 12, maybe frustration? I don't know but it was piss poor. On the other hand the Guidos kept a positive attitude, hoping for the slightest opening that they might still be contenders to win.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »
It's why we love the Guidos. They may have had the villain's edit in TAR1, but certainly didn't have that in TAR All-Stars and they always maintained a positive attitude.

And puddin's re-viewing caused me to pull out my TAR1 DVD set and watch the first episode again. Boy is Paul a wuss or what?
Just here to visit.

Offline Umass

• RFF Not So Newbie
  • 4y
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2008, 04:11:16 PM »
Season 1 was very good cast wise infact only second to season 5 for memorable teams. The ending was quite a surprise being that the final was in NYC.
For a pilot, S1 was quite remarkable compared to future seasons.