Author Topic: Well this is my first time  (Read 4735 times)

Offline godsmack

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Smile ! thanks you just made me money...lol
Well this is my first time
« on: December 07, 2008, 11:15:24 PM »
being here and posting this season.
I purposely avoided any and all forums so i could simply enjoy
this season like the first few. No spoilers  not knowing locations
and I can honestly say I'm really let down. :cmas13
Maybe its me but i feel the race hasn't been the same since the family edition (not a shot at the family contestants) :cmas19
maybe its the locations or the dull boring racers or the incestuous relationship in this seasons winners :ascared
but this to me was a major boring snooze fest. IMHO only the all stars season didn't suck
i miss the nasty rivalry's the evil and sneaky good racers like Colin ,Rob, and so forth
probably just me
but i really was let down this season

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Well this is my first time
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 11:19:26 PM »
I think we all have opinions and if felt otherwise. I feel if you are a true fan you must stand by it and I just love the race so much I feel every race is a great one!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline godsmack

• RFF Jr. Member
  • Smile ! thanks you just made me money...lol
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 11:25:27 PM »
Agreed partly
But being a true fan is what made me so disapointed in this seasons lack of interesting racers and locations :cmas5

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 11:34:19 PM »
I think everyone looks at the race in a different way.  Some really love the fighting between teams, some like the manipulation of racers, some like to see just out and out competition, some like the tasks, some like the places and of course the interactions both between teams and within teams.

I know for myself its the out and out competition, the places and the tasks and teams generally getting along.

And for this season I liked a lot of locations, loved Angkor Wat, was generally disappointed by tasks (though have loved the last two episodes tasks a lot), and was disappointed overall by the competition.  I was shocked at the number of mistakes from so many different teams this season.  Hated that on a show that a race around the world teams hardly had to transport themselves anywhere, but I did like many of the teams.  Loved Toni & Dallas, really liked Nick & Starr, Mark & Bill, liked Andrew & Dan (though I do wish they were eliminated about 3 legs earlier, ect.

Probably my least favorite season overall since season 8.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:27:31 AM »
To me its all about the casting and I give Kudos to TPTB! To me this was a genuine cast, lots of heart, lots of love, lots of personality and competitive teams as well, I loved all the teams this season, had no hate for any which is rare  :jam:.
Truly one of my fav seasons  :jumpy:. Maybe the challenges were so so at times, and I'm sure the teams will say the same but really its not their call. Hopefully season 14 will take it up a notch as far as the challenges!

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 12:41:52 AM »
your right everything was great but the tasks were much more poor!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 06:26:15 AM »
To me its all about the casting and I give Kudos to TPTB! To me this was a genuine cast, lots of heart, lots of love, lots of personality and competitive teams as well, I loved all the teams this season, had no hate for any which is rare  :jam:.
Truly one of my fav seasons  :jumpy:. Maybe the challenges were so so at times, and I'm sure the teams will say the same but really its not their call. Hopefully season 14 will take it up a notch as far as the challenges!

This is exactly the way I saw it too. To me, maybe the best cast of "normal" people yet for a regular TAR.
Matthew 7:15

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 07:18:20 AM »
I think everyone looks at the race in a different way.  Some really love the fighting between teams, some like the manipulation of racers, some like to see just out and out competition, some like the tasks, some like the places and of course the interactions both between teams and within teams.

I know for myself its the out and out competition, the places and the tasks and teams generally getting along.

And for this season I liked a lot of locations, loved Angkor Wat, was generally disappointed by tasks (though have loved the last two episodes tasks a lot), and was disappointed overall by the competition.  I was shocked at the number of mistakes from so many different teams this season.  Hated that on a show with a race around the world teams hardly had to transport themselves anywhere, but I did like many of the teams.  Loved Toni & Dallas, really liked Nick & Starr, Mark & Bill, liked Andrew & Dan (though I do wish they were eliminated about 3 legs earlier, ect.

Probably my least favorite season overall since season 8.

I agree with you, especially the bolded part. (I'm not the Nick & Starr and Andrew & Dan fan though.) The places teams have gone in each leg have gotten less distant, and there has been very little self-driving for the teams, which is too bad. To me there was no reason for that to disappear in Season 12, but it did. There was also no reason for the shortened legs or the shortened route. The race is suspenseful no matter how long it is. It doesn't need to be any shorter!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 09:46:08 AM »
Godsmack, I disagree with you on both your major premises. On racers, here are the teams that I consider to be exceptional and exciting in AR13:

Nick/Starr
Ken/Tina
Toni/Dallas
Sarah/Terence
Mark/Bill

That's an unusual number of really good teams. Since there is only 3 teams that can be in the Final 3 and one each race that should not be there but is. I don't find it surprising that 3 of the above teams were not in the Final 3.

As for locations, the double legs in Delhi and Moscow did not introduce us to new places, but there were decent legs nonetheless. Salvador and Forteleza were very good and LaPaz, the Tauranga area of New Zealand, Siem Reap, and Kazakhstan were all brand new and highly interesting. When does the Amazing Race have more than 5 new locations in any season?

So, you are entitled to your opinion but mine is pretty much the opposite. I feel that AR13 was very entertaining, the most since Dustin and Kandice got eliminated in Barcelona in AR10 and close to the high levels of AR7 and AR5.

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
I wasn't really disappointed per se on this season, and I wasn't disappointed with any other seasons (maybe familias, but it had positive qualities too). I do love that the cast involves more normal people, but I think the tasks should be upped a notch like puddin says. I loved S12's cast, but the tasks were a little bit lame. And about S13, the one thing I didn't love was that N/S were obviously very superior compared to other teams, I think the cast wasn't balanced well enough IMO. I'd like to see TAR becoming more like S10 taskwise and more S12 castwise.

S10 was IMHO one of the hardest courses while S12 had a large variety in their cast. Overall, I'm still a fan of TAR, but I think it's still missing something it had before.

P.S. As many more TARfans would agree, I'd wish for the 12th and 13th legs to return...
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 07:05:44 PM »
I wasn't really disappointed per se on this season, and I wasn't disappointed with any other seasons (maybe familias, but it had positive qualities too). I do love that the cast involves more normal people, but I think the tasks should be upped a notch like puddin says. I loved S12's cast, but the tasks were a little bit lame. And about S13, the one thing I didn't love was that N/S were obviously very superior compared to other teams, I think the cast wasn't balanced well enough IMO. I'd like to see TAR becoming more like S10 taskwise and more S12 castwise.

S10 was IMHO one of the hardest courses while S12 had a large variety in their cast. Overall, I'm still a fan of TAR, but I think it's still missing something it had before.
P.S. As many more TARfans would agree, I'd wish for the 12th and 13th legs to return...

Something has been missing since TAR7 imo, I'm not sure what it is but for sure agree theres something missing .....
Also I was not a fan of the TAR12 cast fwiw, one or 2 teams maybe, The Goths and Don and Nick, those are the only 2 teams I remember even being in the cast. :cmas19

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »

Also I was not a fan of the TAR12 cast fwiw, one or 2 teams maybe, The Goths and Don and Nick, those are the only 2 teams I remember even being in the cast. :cmas19
[/quote]

:cmas18

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »
The two comments I kept hearing from the racers themselves were how surprised they were to not have a daredevil task like bungy or skydiving, and the very minimal amount of self driving involved. Many of them said over and over that self navigating is so crucial that they would have loved more opportunities to have the driving/navigating in their own hands rather than in the hands of taxi karma.

I REALLY don't want TAR to turn into the "Amazing Taxi Race".... :cmas19

But any race that gave us Angkor Wat is okay by me!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.