Author Topic: The Biggest Loser Season 7  (Read 140086 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Biggest Loser Season 7
« Reply #275 on: April 08, 2009, 12:22:32 PM »

THE BIGGEST LOSER SEASON 7

Episode: 18

Air Date: May 5, 2009

PAST SEASON WINNERS CHEER ON THE FINAL FOUR AS THEY FACE THEIR TOUGHEST CHALLENGE YET – RUNNING A FULL MARATHON!

The final four contestants go home for 30 days, reunite with friends and family and experience firsthand the challenge of continuing to make diet and exercise a priority back at home. Contestants also learn from host Alison Sweeney what their final challenge of the season will be – running a full marathon when they return to the ranch for their final weigh-in. Completing the full 26.2 mile course will be their toughest challenge yet, but cheering them on along the way are some past season “Biggest Losers”– grand prize winners Ali Vincent and Michelle Aguilar, plus “at home” winners Jim Germanakos, Heba Salama and Bernie Salazar. And as an added incentive, each player who finishes the marathon will get $10,000 to donate to the charity of their choice. Later, it’s the very last “last chance workouts” with trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels before a final weigh in determines who the two definite finalists will be – and which two contestants fall below the dreaded yellow line, leaving America to vote which one will be the third finalist to compete for the grand prize of $250,000.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
« Reply #276 on: April 08, 2009, 02:26:14 PM »
The Biggest Loser Couples
Weighing In

Hello, and welcome to another week of The Biggest Loser: Couples. With only eight people left on the ranch, everyone is vying for the title of Biggest Loser more than ever.

Mike is devastated about how his fellow team mates betrayed him by throwing his father under the bus.  Ron thanks everyone who kept him there, and tells those who voted against him to get struck down and die.  Sione tells them he is playing for him, but Ron still feels betrayed. This causes a LOT of tension between him, Filipe and Sione.  Kristin also thinks Ron is cutthroat and everyone is worried about how he is going to retaliate.

TEMPTATION

When everyone gets to the gym, they are surrounded by silver trays. Alison tells them that this is a temptation challenge that has the biggest prize ever. There are 100 trays with high calorie snacks. They have to eat whatever is in the tray.  If they get a pack of Extra gum, they also get a monetary prize. The golden ticket tray holds the ultimate reward--complete control of the game, the only vote in the game. Kristin decides to be careful and not choose as many trays so she won't fall below the yellow lone. I'm really not sure what the point of this challenge is, since I thought the show was about LOSING weight. In the end, Laura gets the golden ticket.  Kristin is wondering what the power is going to do to her.  Laura tries to convince Tara to purposely fall below the yellow line so they can vote for the other person, but Tara isn't so sure she wants to do that.

As they are cleaning up the gym, Bob and Jillian come in. They are not happy with them participating in the temptation---and that is an understatement. Filipe admits he wants the power, but Jillian tells them they put themselves at risk.  Bob wants them to them to remember this day and let it be a lesson.  They also discuss the vote, and Bob realizes why they all took part in the challenge. He pulls Ron aside and asks him what happened.  Ron says it is game on from now on.

WORKING OUT

Bob and Jillian join forces to make sure they all  burn off the calories they ate.  They take turns training everyone, making sure they realize the mistakes they made.

TRAINING TIP

For flat, sexy abs, add cardio and a proper diet to your crunches.

SPECIAL TREATMENT FOR LAURA

In order to get in Laura's good graces, Kristin brings Laura breakfast in bed.

SUBWAY VISIT

Jillian takes her team to Subway, where they are greeted by Coleen and Jerry from last season. Coleen tells them to use veggies and mustard as toppings.  Jerry says eating at Subway helps him when getting a quick meal at work.  I have to say, they both look incredible!

ROSE BOWL

They all get to see the Rose Bowl, which  is exciting for me because Penn State was in it this year! As a Pennsylvania resident, this is exciting for my family and I!  It is boys against girls in this challenge as they must run up and down the stairs to their colored flag. The winner will share their prize with their families--a two week trip for four at a fitness spa. Sione and Tara get their flags first. They have to do it again and whoever finishes first will win.  It is a very close race, but in the end, Tara wins!  Sione is upset about losing.  Filipe, Helen and Sione corner Kristin and ask what she will do if Ron is below the yellow line.  She isn't sure, and it causes a lot of tension between them.

LAURA AND HELEN

Helen tells Laura that it is stupid to convince Tara to purposely fall below the yellow line.

BOB'S TALK

Bob talks to her team about the voting debacle last week.  They also wonder what Tara is going to do this week.  Bob thinks she will purposely fall below the yellow line, but Kristin is not so sure.

JILLIAN'S TALK

Jillian feels the tension and stress from the game. She tells Tara that she better not throw the weigh in. She wants them to put themselves first and nothing good will come of it.

MOVIE TIME WITH BOB

Bob has his team watch Marley and Me and shows them snacks to eat instead of their usual ones, such as veggies and unbuttered popcorn.

LAST CHANCE WORKOUT
Jillian pushes Tara, who seems to have trouble this week. Jillian tells her to reach inside her and be the person she knows she can be. Everyone else is focused on staying above the yellow line.

Bob is also pushing his team, especially Sione, who is having trouble as well.

WEIGH IN
Mike: 253 lbs-5=248 lbs
Ron: 317 lbs-9=308 lbs
Tara: 189 lbs -3=186 lbs
Kristin: 251 lbs-6=245 lbs
Helen: 171 lbs-2=169 lbs
Filipe: 259 lbs-7=252 lbs
Sione: 260 lbs-4=256 lbs
Laura: 214 lbs-8=205 lbs

This means Laura has to choose between Helen and Sione since they are in they bottom two.

Sione says it is her decision, but remember that she can count on him to keep her there.  Helen says she is happy to have her and Tara there with her because she loves them like her own.

Sione and Filipe to their Tongan chant and dance before going to elimination.

ELIMINATION

After some sweet words for both of them, Laura sends Sione home. He says the show made him a better person. He says goodbye and is sent on his way.

HOW HE LOOKS NOW

When he gets home, he is greeted by his wife and kids, as well as other family members and friends.  They are all proud of him and inspired to improve their lives as well.  His daughter gives him apples as a snack as he studies to become a personal trainer.  He trains his family and pretends to be Bob. Everyone is proud of him. He lost a total of 137 pounds thus far.

Tune in next week for makeover week with Tim Gunn! Goodnight everybody.

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3455:the-biggest-loser-couples-weighing-in&catid=71:biggest-loser-couples-2009

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #277 on: April 09, 2009, 02:18:51 AM »
'Biggest Loser''s Sione Fa: 'I Ate All That Stuff'

"The Biggest Loser" put the eight remaining contestants to the test on Tuesday night's episode, with a high-calorie challenge. Goodies such as donuts, cupcakes and chips were hidden in silver serving trays -- as was a golden ticket that gave the bearer the right to decide who went home that week. Did the quest for power lead them to scarf up the calories?

You bet. Only Kristin Steede was cautious in her calorie count, which paid off for her with a six-pound weight loss for the week, keeping her safe and above the yellow line.

Sione Fa, however, was caught up in the bid for power and it may have been his downfall, because with a four-pound loss for the week, he wound up below the yellow line -- and was sent home by Laura Denoux, who actually found the golden ticket.

"The temptation, I look back on it, it was kind of crazy," he says. "If I go back into the moment, it was a lot of power being handed out. Obviously, when you look back, I ate all that stuff. Maybe that affected the pound. I basically got kicked off by a pound. I can look back and say, 'Maybe I shouldn't have.' But if I was put back in that moment, I would probably do it again."

Everybody on "The Biggest Loser" has a week when they have a low number, but this was the first time that Sione was below the yellow line. He fell below with Helen Phillips, and he says that as soon as he realized that, he knew he was going home.

"The relationship between me and Laura on the game side of it wasn't as strong as Laura and Helen," explains the contestant from Maricopa, Arizona, who began the competition at 372 pounds, and now weighs 235 pounds: a 137-pound loss.

Sione and his cousin Filipe Fa had their controversial moments on the ranch this season. The two cousins began "The Biggest Loser" as members of trainer Bob Harper's team, but about one-third of the way through the season, when the teams were mixed up, they ended up under Jillian Michaels' tutelage -- and they refused to work with her!

"Her training style is awesome," Sione says. "She is a great trainer. I don't take anything away from that. When we did train together, I gave it everything I had physical-wise. Emotionally we connected better with Bob and that showed. On 'The Biggest Loser,' one of things people don't realize, it is just as much emotional as physical. It was just a conflict in personal issues."

Sione's biggest competition this season was Tara Costa, who is still on the ranch. Tara, too, also scarfed down the goodies during the temptation challenge in quest of the golden ticket -- and she, too, had a low number this week: only a three-pound weight loss. Neither Tara nor Sione wound up with the ticket, but they did compete for a two-week spa vacation -- and Tara won. It was the second week in a row she triumphed over Sione in a competition that he felt he should win. Last week, she won the car-pulling challenge.

"Obviously, I was devastated," he admits. "I set out to win them and I wanted to win them. The one thing I look back on, especially the car pulling challenge … going into that challenge, I felt I was the one to beat. A lot of other people felt that I was the one to beat, too. But by not winning, it really made me look back at myself and say, 'What am I doing wrong?' At the car pulling challenge, that is when a lot of things started to click. A lot of things in my life, I start with full force and full of energy, but I putter out at the end. That really opened my eyes to pace myself and finish strong, instead of killing it in the beginning and not finishing."

When Sione began "The Biggest Loser," he owned a landscape business, but since his experience on the ranch, he has decided to become a personal trainer. He is currently studying to take his test, and he plans to build his own business when he is certified. He says he will combine the knowledge he learned from Jillian and Bob for his clients.

"I learned a lot from Jillian cardio-wise, getting your lungs and heart in shape, and from Bob, strength training. On Bob's side, I would take a lot of the emotional. He really connected emotionally with me and Filipe. We want to be here as long as we can on earth. Keeping that in mind, leading a healthy life, I would love to adapt that into my training. Not just the quick fix. But actually be a long term goal."

"The Biggest Loser" airs Tuesday nights at 8 p.m. on NBC.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/72635/index.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #278 on: April 09, 2009, 05:02:35 AM »
An interview with Sione:

The Biggest Loser's Sione Makes Fitness His Life

Sione Fa has not only been a fan favorite on this season's The Biggest Loser: Couples, but a front-runner as well. Competing with his Tongan cousin Filipe, Sione lost a whopping 116 pounds during his 10-week run, while also realizing his passion for educating his community on nutrition and exercise. Sione's small four-pound loss in his final week on the ranch resulted in being voted out and missing the chance to claim the grand prize by a few short weeks. Fa, who has lost 130 pounds to date, spoke to TVGuide.com about why he preferred to train with Bob and how being on The Biggest Loser has led him to a new career in fitness.

TVGuide.com: Why do you think you only lost four pounds this week and do you regret participating in the temptation challenge?
Sione Fa: I think everybody has their weeks when they have a low number and this was the first time I fell below the yellow line. Everybody else there had at least been under once or twice before.

The temptation, you know, I look back on it and it was kind of crazy. But if I go back into the moment, it was a lot of power being handed out. Obviously when you look back, you're like, "Wow, I ate all that stuff, maybe that affected the [small weight loss]," because I basically got kicked off by a pound. Maybe I shouldn't have [participated], but if I was to get put back in that moment, I'd probably do it again.

TVGuide.com: Can you talk more about why you left Jillian in Week 10 to go train with Bob?
Fa: Her training style is awesome; she's a great trainer, I don't take anything away from that. When we did train together, I gave it everything I had, physically. It's just that emotionally [Filipe and I] connected better with Bob, and obviously that showed. On Biggest Loser, one thing people don't realize being on the ranch, is that it's just as much emotional as physical there. We're taken out of our life. We can't talk to our families, can't talk to our kids, can't talk to what I like to call "normal people." It was just a conflict in personal issues more than anything.

TVGuide.com: How far into the process did you realize that you wanted to become a trainer yourself?
Fa: I knew that I couldn't go back to my old life and my old career, [and] I knew I wanted to make health and fitness a part of my life forever. One day it was like: Be a trainer. I'm still in the process of taking the test to get certified, but my plan is to create a business.

TVGuide.com: Are you still training your family?
Fa: Yeah, it's more like phone calls now. My sister was a little embarrassed about [breaking down in the Where Are They Now piece], but sometimes it takes that to kick in and she's actually lost 12 pounds since that.

TVGuide.com: How are you preparing for the finale?
Fa: The finale is a deadline for us right now, but I'm trying to just take advantage of every day because I'm never going to be in this situation again. I'm never going to be able to show America the end result. But you know what? I'm trying not to focus on everyone else and where they're at and what I have to do to beat them. All I'm going to do is give it my all, do everything I can, so no matter what happens on that scale, I know that I'll come out on top.

TVGuide.com: What's your typical regimen?
Fa: I'm more of a morning workout person, I'm there at 7. I do strength training for about an hour and a half and cardio for another hour, hour and a half. Of course, not everybody is going to be able to wake up and do two and a half hours, but we're trying to lose weight and when I get to the maintenance stage, that's going to be a lot harder.

TVGuide.com: Is it easier for you to keep up with the exercise as opposed to the diet?
Fa: They have to go hand in hand. If I'm not making wise decisions on eating, I can feel it in my workout. Food now is a fuel for me and it's not just something that's going to occupy my time while I'm watching a movie or because I'm bored. You can be in great shape but eat like crap and you're going to feel it. So for me, I have to give my body the good fuel. Otherwise, I'm not going to be able to work out as hard.

TVGuide.com: How do you think your partner Filipe will do without you there?
Fa: He proved it when I went home for the 30 days. He worked his butt off, did everything he possibly could to get me back on the ranch, and he got me back. I have no doubt that not only is he going to do as good as he did then, but he's going to do better.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Biggest-Loser-Sione-1004872.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #279 on: April 09, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »
An interview with Sione:

Rethinking "Golden" Strategy with Sione Fa of The Biggest Loser Couples

Although one of the most popular episodes of The Biggest Loser comes down the weight-loss pike next week, with Tim Gunn of Project Runway and Tabatha Coffey of Bravo's Tabatha's Salon Takeover jumping in to makeover the Biggest Loser competitors, Arizona landscape businessman, Sione Fa, won't be taking part in the festivities.

This week’s episode of the Biggest Loser Couples saw Ron still mad at Sione and his cousin Filipe because they voted for him the week before. As the competition got going, the first Biggest Loser challenge was for a "golden ticket" that would give one player control over who went home between the two competitors that fell below the yellow line at weigh-in. The catch was, however, that the challenge involved scarfing back a heap of junk food until the ticket was located, hidden under one of many silver trays in the gym. When it over, Tara’s partner, Laura, won the weigh-in power before heading to a reward challenge for a week long trip to a spa.

In one of, if not the toughest challenge of the season aside from the mini-marathon, each Biggest Loser player had to run up half of the stairs at the famous Rose Bowl stadium in Pasadena, California. And when it was over, the two fastest had to do it again, head to head. The final challenge came down to Tara and Sione, with Tara shocking the players as she beat Sione to win. However, at the weigh-in, Helen and Sione fell below the yellow line and Laura used her "golden ticket" to send Sione packing from the Biggest Loser ranch.

The morning after Sione was humbled by Tara at the Rose Bowl, we hopped on the phone to join a conference call where we picked Sione's brain about what he would have done had he won the "golden ticket," his time on The Biggest Loser, and what it was like to see Nicole return to the ranch the week before.

THE DEADBOLT: If you would’ve won that golden ticket, how would your strategy have changed?

SIONE FA: You know what? I thought about that, too. Obviously I fell below the yellow line, and if I would’ve had the golden ticket I would’ve lost the ticket [laughs].

THE DEADBOLT: That’s true.

SIONE: So I look back thinking, obviously, maybe if the weight-loss would’ve been the same, I would’ve lost it. And then it still could’ve changed the outcome of the game, because then it would’ve went to regular voting and majority winning. So maybe I would’ve had a chance, maybe I wouldn’t have. But I mean, you just never know. Like I said before, it was in the moment, and I guess you could say you wanted that power, control of the game and I went for it.

THE DEADBOLT: So if you had it and didn’t go below the line, what were you looking to do with it?

SIONE: It was no secret I tried to get Ron off, and if it happened again I would’ve went for Ron.

THE DEADBOLT: [laughs] Actually, that wouldn’t have worked either because he lost a lot of weight this week.

SIONE: [laughs] Yeah, exactly. So I mean, there’s so many [ways]. Even on the ranch, you go through all of these scenarios in your head, and you think you’ve covered every possible scenario, and when you actually go weigh in it never is any of them that you thought of. It’s always the "what if?" So all you can do is lose weight. I only focused on getting that vote [golden ticket] and I guess I never really thought about how I would use it.

THE DEADBOLT: How did you feel losing to Tara and the car pulling challenge, and the Rose Bowl stairs challenge? Those were two pretty heavy challenges.

SIONE: Yeah, they were. Obviously I was devastated, and I set out to win them, and I wanted to win them and I was very disappointed in myself when I didn’t. But the one thing I look back on, especially the car pulling challenge, going into that challenge I felt like I was the one to beat. And, you know? A lot of people thought I was the one to beat, too, that I would take it.

But by not winning, it really made me step back and look at myself and be like, ‘What am I doing wrong?’ Actually, on the car pulling challenge is when a lot of things clicked, a lot of things in my life. Whatever I start, I start it with full force and full of energy, but I putter out at the end. That really opened my eyes to pace myself and finish strong instead of killing it at the beginning and not finishing. So even though I lost to Tara, I learned very valuable lessons that help me even now.

THE DEADBOLT: She certainly does bring out the best in you.

SIONE: Definitely. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. I think me and her definitely pushed each other to the limit and it worked out.

THE DEADBOLT: Well, you must have. When you guys all went home, you pulled it out to win that half marathon.

SIONE: Yeah, that was something I never thought I would do. I thought marathon runners were crazy. Actually, right now I’m training for a full marathon at the end of May. So it’s weird how your mind changes.

THE DEADBOLT: How did Nicole returning to the ranch for a week help you prepare for going home?

SIONE: Actually, when I saw her and the stuff she’s accomplished on her own, I just knew. You know, it’s like that goes to show you right there, not just for me and for people on the ranch, but for people at home who are thinking, ‘Oh, the only way I’m going to lose this weight is to be picked as one of The Biggest Loser contestants.’ She showed everybody that you can do it at home if you want it bad enough.

I mean, she came into the house with the second highest percentage of everybody. It was like, ‘You know what? If she can do this at home, we should be able to do unbelievable things on the ranch.’ It actually excited me to know I don’t need the ranch, you know? I wanted to be there, but I don’t need that. And she showed not only us but America that anything is possible and you can lose the weight on your own. You don’t need the show. And there’s a lot of people who try out season after season to get on the show and don’t make it, and they’re still stuck. So hopefully what she did will inspire them to just do it.

THE DEADBOLT: You guys all looked shocked at how well she did. Was that just because she looked great or is it because you guys are so isolated from the outside world?

SIONE: Yeah, both ways. It was shocking just because we saw each other every day. And mentally you know you’re losing weight but you don’t know how much. You don’t know the change or how far you’ve come. To see them it really just showed us we’ve all come so far. And it was good to see a couple of new faces.

THE DEADBOLT: I know you’re rooting for Filipe. But if he goes down, who else do you think deserves to win?

SIONE: [laughs] Right now, I just hope Filipe gets it.

THE DEADBOLT: What is you’re ideal weight?

SIONE: I’m shooting for as close to the 200 mark as I can.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105608/biggestlosersione_interview.php

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #280 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:22 PM »
An interview with Sione:

Biggest Loser’s Sione Goes From Landscaping to Body Sculpting

Even a new appetite for fitness did not deter the Biggest Loser Ranchers this week from a high-calorie binge-fest that granted one lucky contestant total control of the game. Laura won that temptation — and the power — to send home the Blue Team’s Sione Fa, 28, of Mesa, Ariz. The Tongan landscaper spoke to PEOPLE.com about his new career move as a personal trainer (Polynesian dancing anyone?), how he’s managed to lose more than 130 lbs. so far, and why he ditched Jillian. – Rebecca Gross

What was your biggest accomplishment?
Physically, pushing myself to the limit was the half marathon. Up until that point, I barely got to running 2 ½ miles without stopping. Emotionally, it was the car-pulling challenge. I just realized I need to pace myself and finish strong instead of giving it everything I’ve got and not finishing, because I saw that pattern in my life a lot.

The show portrayed Ron as this big Godfather figure. Did he really command that much respect or was it played up?
He was a father figure. I don’t know to what extent, but he was definitely a big influence on the show. A lot of the decisions he made stuck so you have to give it to him for either playing the game well or playing the Godfather role well.

Why did you leave Jillian to go train with Bob even though you were still on her Black Team?
She’s a great trainer — I don’t take anything away from that. I think emotionally we connected better with Bob and obviously that showed. On the Ranch, people don’t realize it’s just as much emotional as it is physical there.

When did you know you wanted to become a personal trainer? And did you learn anything from Bob and Jillian that you will incorporate into your own training style?
I just knew I couldn’t go back to my old life and old career, and I knew I wanted to make health and fitness part of my life forever. I learned a lot from Jillian on cardiovascular training, getting your heart and lungs in shape. And from Bob, I learned a lot of the physical strength training, but also the emotional connection. He showed us we want to be on this earth a long time and live a healthy life, not just the quick fix. I’d like to adapt these long-term goals into my training methods.

What is your typical regimen now?
I’m a morning person, so I get to the gym at 7:00 am. I do strength training for about an hour and a half, then I do cardio for another hour or hour and a half. In a regular working world, of course not everyone would be able to go to the gym for about 2 ½ hours, but we are trying to lose weight and when I get to the maintenance stage it’ll change.

What is more difficult for you–the diet or the exercise?
They have to go hand-in-hand. If I’m not making wise decisions with my eating, I can feel it in my workout. Food is now a fuel for me. It’s not just something that’s going to occupy my time while I’m watching a movie or because I’m bored, it’s actually something that’s going to help me get through the day or make me feel better.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/09/biggest-losers-sione-goes-from-landscaping-to-body-sculpting/

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
An interview with Sione:

“I was surprised at how emotional it got”

In the weeks that Sione Fa was on the ranch, he emerged as a fierce competitor — and a very hot guy! Regarding all the new attention from ladies, “I would be lying if I said I didn’t like it,” he admits. “My wife and I just laugh about it and I guess I’m flattered. It’s a compliment and hopefully it’ll get me somewhere!” He and his cousin and partner, Filipe, also made a dramatic defection from Jillian’s team to Bob's in week 10, after several tearful outbursts. “We worked out six to eight hours a day on the physical side of it, but the emotional side is just as intense," says Sione. “You’re away from your kids, you’re away from your wife, you’re away from your family. You have to rely on your partner. Filipe and I were close — just like brothers — before but we became even closer. I was surprised at how emotional it got, but sometimes it just takes that. Looking back on it, I’d do it in a heartbeat again.”

Why do you think you lost only three pounds this week?
I think everybody just has their weeks when they have a low number. I mean, obviously this was the first time I fell below the yellow line. It was just my week.

Do you regret eating so much during the temptation?
It was kind of crazy. But it was a lot of power being handed out. Obviously when you look back, I ate all that stuff and maybe that affected the weight because I basically got kicked off by a pound. And, yeah, maybe I shouldn’t have. But I’d probably do it again.

Why did you and Filipe leave Jillian to train with Bob?
Her training style is awesome. I don’t take anything away from that. When we did train together, I gave it everything I had physical-wise. It’s just, emotionally we connected better with Bob. And obviously that showed. With Jillian, it was just a conflict in personal issues more than anything.

How much have you lost so far?
A little over 130 pounds right now. I’m currently at about 235.

When did you realize you wanted to be a trainer yourself ?
It’s just I knew that I couldn’t go back to my old life and my old career. I wanted to make health and fitness a part of my life forever. I’m still in the process of taking the test to get certified, but my plan is to create a business.

What did you learn from Bob and Jillian that you’ll use as a trainer?
I’d like to take some from both. I learned a lot from Jillian on the cardio — getting your lungs and your heart in shape. And then with Bob, a lot of strength training. But on Bob’s side I’d like to take a lot of the emotional: we always kept our families in mind, the idea that we want to be here as long as we can on this Earth, living a healthy life and not just the quick fix. I’d love to adapt that into my training methods. This is not “buy ten training sessions and then it’s over,” this is a lifestyle change.

What have you done to pass along the things you’ve learned to your family and why is that so important to you?
At one point in time, everybody in my family had been thinner. We weren’t always this overweight. And just being able to show my journey through weight loss on TV, it’s just kind of opened their eyes and seen the hard work that it really takes. I haven’t really had to hound my sisters or my brother. They’ve actually come to me. They’ve had some pretty touching moments where they say, “You motivate me and I just want to know is it really that hard and can I do it?” Just to be able to tell them, you know, “It is the hardest thing probably you’ll ever have to do, but it’s worth it.” It’s been great because they’re doing it. Since I started the show, my brother has lost about 40 pounds. My sister, from the time we aired the little boot camp style thing on the episode last night, she’s lost 12. It just seems like they really want it.

There’s been a lot of talk on the show about how much eating is a part of your Polynesian culture. Has it been hard to break through that?
Yeah. When we get together obviously as a family and culture, you don’t count calories. You just pile your plate as high as you can get it and go at it. And a lot more people, when I go to those gatherings, are a lot more conscious on what they’re eating. Weight is a big issue in the culture, but with me and Filipe doing this journey together, they’re seeing it that we’re happier. And culture or not, when you’re overweight you’re overweight and you have to deal with the problems of being overweight and all the diseases out there and possibly dying young. I think it’s finally clicked with them. It’s fun: I’ve actually been to a luau where they baked a lot of chicken, made brown rice and that is unheard of! So this is a lot of people being affected by it.

Has it been easier to do ceremonial dances now that you’re more fit?
My brother and I were just messing around the other day going through some of the dances and you have to be a little limber in a lot of these dances. I notice a big difference just cardio-wise. It just feels better doing it. You’re not focusing all the fat jiggling on the dances; you focus more on the dance.

Would you incorporate them into your training?
I’d love to not only share this with my culture, but share my culture with others. I had the idea the other day of doing a Polynesian workout!

http://www.intouchweekly.com/2009/04/biggest_loser.php

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2009, 08:58:07 PM »
An interview with Sione:

The Biggest Loser Exit Interview: Sione Talks About His Rifts with Jillian, Tara, and Ron

Fan favorite Sione Fa might not win The Biggest Loser, but for Sione, he’s already won. Along with his cousin Filipe, he lost 116 pounds at the ranch. And now that he’s home, the Tongan is now hell-bent on training his overweight family on how to be fit and healthy. Throughout the show, Sione formed some, let’s say, interesting relationships. His idolization of Bob compelled him to leave Jillian’s team, his insistence on beating Tara at everything caused some less-than friendly competition, and Ron wasn’t shy about his desire to vote Sione off. Despite all the drama, Sione came out of the house with a fire in his belly. Read on to find out his plans for life after The Biggest Loser.

Why do you think you only lost four pounds this week? Do you regret participating in the temptation?

I think everybody just has their weeks when they have a low number. This was the first time I fell below the yellow line. I kind of felt like it was just my week. I just had that feeling. And the temptation— it was kind of crazy. When you look back, I ate all that stuff… maybe that affected the pound because I basically got kicked off by a pound. But being in that moment if I was to get put back into that moment again I’d probably do it again.

Why did you leave Jillian to train with Bob?

Her training style is awesome; she’s a great trainer. I don’t take anything away from that. When we did train together I gave it everything I had physical-wise. I think emotionally we connected better with Bob. And obviously that showed. On Biggest Loser a lot of things that people don’t realize being on the ranch is it’s just as much emotional as physical there; we can’t talk to our families, we can’t talk to our kids, we can’t talk to, you know, what I like to call normal people. It was just a conflict in personal issues.

What was your relationship with Tara like, considering she was one of your biggest competitors?

She’s a great competitor; she works her butt off. And she was a motivator for me and she had actually told me that watching me workout that motivated her. And it turned into the little competition in every challenge. As you can see, she’s awesome and she works hard. I think we’re in the same relationship right now just mostly she’s somebody that drives me and then I’m somebody that drives her.

Was it hard breaking the tradition of eating in your culture?

Yeah, when we get together as a family you don’t count calories at our get-togethers… you just pile your plate as high as you can get it and just go at it. And a lot more people, when I go to those gatherings, they’re a lot more conscious on what they’re eating. Weight is a big issue in the culture but I think with me and Filipe doing this journey together they’re seeing it that we’re happier. And culture or not, when you’re overweight you’re overweight and you have to deal with the problems of being overweight and all the diseases out there and possibly dying young and heart problems. And I think it’s finally clicked with them. And it’s fun. I’ve actually been to a luau where they baked a lot of chicken, made brown rice. That’s unheard of.

What was your favorite milestone that you accomplished? Hitting the 100 pound mark? The half marathon?

Physically-wise pushing myself to the limit was the half marathon definitely. Up until that point I barely got to running 2.5 miles straight through without stopping. That was a huge physical milestone for me. Emotionally it would be the car-pulling challenge where I just realized that I need to pace myself and finish strong instead of just giving everything I got and not finishing because I saw that pattern in my life a lot. So those are probably the biggest two breakthroughs that I had.

What was Ron really like? Was he really as bossy as he seemed?

He was a father figure. I don’t know necessarily like to what extent to some people. But he’s definitely a big influence in the show and a lot of the decisions he made stuck. And you’ve just got to give it to him for playing the godfather role well. He really did control a lot of that game. We were going to stick it through and stick it all the way to the end. And as you get closer to that those dollar signs and you get close to the title of the Biggest Loser some of those alliances go astray. And we felt it a couple weeks prior that the alliance to us really wasn’t that strong. Like it showed in the last episode true feelings towards us kind of came out. I don’t hold anything against him. You get in this weird state of mind on the ranch and it feels like you’re trapped in a bubble. When it all comes down to it, it should be about you and your personal journey there.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/interviews/the-biggest-loser-exit-interview-sione-talks-about-his-rifts-with-jillian-tara-and-ron/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #283 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
The Biggest Loser Couples 2
Makeover Week Is Here!

Tim Gunn of Project Runway and Tabatha Coffey star of Bravo's Shear Genius and Tabatha's Salon Takeover, and Brandon Martinez, formerly of Blow Out will guest star on one of the most eagerly-anticipated events of each Biggest Loser season – the makeover episode.

This week challenge will have our contestants crossing a 10-story canyon on a 700 foot zipline.  The prize will be a $25,000 kitchen makeover. After the challenge, our contestants and Alison Sweeney (who is also getting a makeover), will be off to Macy's where Tim Gunn will help them pick out their new outfits to show off their new bodies.  Word has it that Tara mistakes Tim Gunn for a perfume counter person, and Helen becomes emotional when she looks at all the clothes that she can now wear with her new body.

Last season, Biggest Loser contestant makeovers were revealed on The Tyra Banks show.  This season may prove to be even better as they will be revealed with their very own Hollywood premiere.  They will arrive in limos, walk the red carpet then descend the staircase into the arms of a loved one.  The premiere they will be attending - a movie featuring their emotional journey of weight loss.

I'm hearing that when they get back to the campus, a visit with Dr. Huizenga will reveal that one player is sidelined with a medical injury that will have a dramatic impact on the last chance workouts – and could affect her future on the show. And at this week's weigh-in, one player, (I'm betting it's Mike) breaks the Biggest Loser record for most weight ever lost at the ranch.

Finally, check your newsstands - Tara is on the cover of OK Magazine, along with Helen and they are giving their diet secrets!

Make sure you have your box of tissues next to you as the makeover show is always super emotional as the families see our contestants for the first time in weeks.  The Biggest Loser Couples 2 airs at 8/7c on NBC, Tuesday, April 14, 2009.

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3467%3Athe-biggest-loser-couples-2-makeover-week-is-here&catid=71%3Abiggest-loser-couples-2009&Itemid=1

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #284 on: April 15, 2009, 12:41:27 AM »
The Biggest Loser: Couples Episode Recap "Week 15"

After Sione exited the competition last week, his cousin, Filipe, is left to fight for his community and a win for Bob's team. He's sick of Jillian winning at the finales and believes the battle is now on.

Alison meets the contestants on top of a mountain where there are two wires hanging 110 feet in the air at the highest point. The contestants must traverse the canyon on the two ropes, and the first one across receives an awesome $25,000 kitchen makeover. Ron sits this one out while the rest fight the wind to cross the wire. Filipe and Mike start out strong, but once Tara figures out a strategy, she catches up to take the win. But her kitchen isn't the only thing to get a makeover. It's actually makeover week on The Biggest Loser!

The contestants head to Macy's where Tim Gunn (love my Timmy) is awaiting them to help dress their new bodies for the Hollywood movie premiere they're going to attend. Afterwards, they go over to the hair salon where Tabitha from Tabitha's Salon Takeover (talk about Bravo cross-promotion) gives them a new look.

Turns out the night is actually everyone's own premiere of his or her new look to family. First to come out is a stunning Helen, who is greeted by her balling husband, Russ. Next, Tara comes down the steps and sees her mom who has also lost weight. "This is you, inside and out," her mom tells her. Filipe comes out, looking sharp in an eggplant-colored suit to meet his wife. Next is Kristin, with her new dark hair. She is reunited with her husband, Nick, and then Laura, who greets her best friend with a new red 'do of her own.. Last to debut their new looks are Ron and Mike, who looks awesome. Mike's brother Max immediately started crying when he realized he'd be the only big one in the family. My heart broke for him, but Mike vowed to give him the tools he needs to lose weight upon his return. And hey producers, maybe you can cast him on your next season. Just a suggestion. When all the reveals are complete, the movie begins, but it's actually a montage of the contestants' journey thus far. Heartwarming as always.

On to the last-chance workout. Because they lost a lot of time "under hair dryers when they should've been on treadmills," the trainers whoop their butts. But for Laura, her ongoing hip problem leads her to Dr. H's office. He tells her she has a stress fracture, and it's the most severe sports related injury they've seen in seven seasons. If she continues to push hard, she'll have to get surgery.

At the weigh-in, Alison informs Mike that he's only pounds away from Roger Schultz's record of the most weight lost on campus in 15 weeks. With a five-pound loss this week, he breaks the record, bringing his total loss to 145 pounds overall. His dad Ron is up next. He loses six pounds and 1.95 percent, and says he hasn't been this weight since his early teens. Tara loses four pounds, 2.15 percent; Filipe loses five pounds, 1.98 percent; and Helen loses a big seven pounds, 4.14 percent. Kristin only loses two pounds, .82 percent and Laura, with her injury, actually gains three pounds and 1.46 percent. Jillian gets upset, and they all start to cry. With Kristin and Laura below the yellow line, a tough decision must be made.

Laura tells the group that although she might need surgery if she doesn't take care of her hip, she wants to be there. She urges everyone to vote as if she's not injured. Kristin claims (rightfully so) that there's a huge game play decision: If Laura stays, she'll struggle and be less of a threat. She begs them to not take the "cowardly way out." In the end, only Tara and Helen vote Kristin while Ron, Mike and Filipe vote Laura. She may be going home, but she will not be alone, as Alison tells her The Biggest Loser is sending her with doctors who will take care of her issue. And she has gone from 285 pounds to 208, which is no small feat.

http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/biggest-loser/Biggest-Loser-Couples-1005057.aspx

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #285 on: April 15, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »
I missed the first hour so I will have to wait for the make over to be on the internet to see it.  Poor Laura, she really seemed to turn around.  AND wow Jillian got so emotional, I have not seen her that emotional before.

Ron lucked out, I think if he was under the yellow line he had a good chance of losing.  I was glad Kristin stayed, I do think she is the biggest threat, but she just gets it and I am happy for her.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #286 on: April 15, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
The Biggest Loser Couples 2: Fabulous Makeovers

Tonight's Biggest Loser on NBC opens with a very sad Filipe talking about how Sione's leaving is like the first week and how this time he can't bring him back to THe Biggest Loser.  He reads a letter from Sione to Kristin and then begins to cry.  He tells Kristin that he is sick of watching  finales where Jillian wins when Bob should be winning.  He and Kristin tell each other they will fight for Bob to win.

The Challenge
Our contestants arrive at the top of a mountain where they see zip lines across a deep canyon.  Alison tells them that each of them will cross the canyon, using only two cables (one to walk on and one to hold on to).  She tells them it is 700 feet across and 100 feet in the air.  The winner will win a $25000 kitchen makeover and a complete restock of their fridge with healthy foods courtesy of Jenni-O.

They don their gear and Alison calls them into position.  After 40 feet, Ron calls it quits because of his knees.   Filipe takes the early lead, behind him is Mike.  Tara loses her grip and falls off her cable.  She works hard and finally gets back on the cable.   Filipe maintains a long lead, still followed by Mike in second place.  Tara regains her composure, gets her rhythm, and begins to catch up.  She passes Mike but Filipe sees her coming and increases his speed.  Tara continues to gain ground on Filipe.  At 100 feet they are neck and neck.  Tara passes Filipe with only 10 feet left and wins her 10th challenge of the season. 

Alison then announces that it is makeover week to the delight of all the contestants.  Filipe remarks that if they shave his head for makeover week, he won't have to worry about the weigh-in because that will be five pounds. 

Our contestants arrive at Macy's for their makeovers.  Tara spies a well dressed, stylish gentleman in a pin-striped suit at the counter and thinks he is one of those "perfume sprayers"... then realizes it is none other than Tim Gunn!  Tim welcomes them to Macy's and congratulates them on their new bodies.  He tells them they will be dressing for a Hollywood movie premiere.  They squeal with delight.  Kristin remarks that this just doesn't happen to people from the Midwest.

Helen confides to Tim that she looks around and sees so many things that were once untouchable for her and now it's really happening.  She tells Tim that it has been so long since she got dressed up.  Once their outfits have been chosen, Tim tells them that they will each receive a $1000 Macy's gift card.  Then it's off to Warren Tricomi for new hairstyles with Tabitha Coffey and Brandon Martinez. 

The Reveal
Russell, Helen's husband, is waiting inside as Helen arrives in a limo.  Inside she descends the stairs in a purple satin dress to find her husband waiting.  He begins to cry and says she looks so beautiful.  She says him telling her that she actually feels beautiful and she hasn't felt that in a long time.  He says they will have a new life together - a long one.

Cheryl, Tara's mom is waiting for Tara who arrives descending the stairs in a green satin dress.  They both tell each other how good they look. Tara's mother has lost 40 pounds while she has been away at the ranch.  Cheryl says Tara is an inspiration to everyone.  Tara notices that the premiere is "The Biggest Loser - The Movie", changing lives and inspiring a nation.

Filipe is greeted by his wife.  Filipe is wearing a maroon jacket, lavender shirt and striped tie with jeans.  Filipe's wife runs up the stairs to greet him with tears in her eyes.  She tells him he looks so good. 

Kristin wearing a black v-neck dress with a large collar is greeted by her husband, Nick.  He tells her she look fantastic.  Kristin tells him she has lost 115 pounds.  She has a new hair cut and looks really good.

Laura is greeted by her friend Monica.  Laura now has red hair and wearing a red dress.  She looks fantastic.  Monica says she is hugging half the person she used to and tells Laura she looks unbelievable.

Ron is greeted by his wife and son, Max.  Ron no longer has a beard and looks great.  Max looks very sad.  Ron tells his wife and Max that they will be amazed at Mike.  Mike then comes down the stairs, half the person he used to be and hugs Max.  His mother says he looks like a movie star.  Max begins to cry and says he is the big one.  He says he feels left out because he is so big.  Mike tells him that he and his Dad are coming back and they are going to work with him to get him to be like them too.  He sits down on the steps with Max.  He tells Max he understands how he feels.  Max continues to cry.  Mike tells him he has the ability to change.  Max says he wants to be like him and wants to be seen as normal.  Mike tells him he will be amazing, that he has the drive and he and his Dad will be working with him, give him the tools to help him lose weight.  Max says it gives him hope.

We are treated to scenes of our contestants walking the red carpet and having their photos taken.  Then into the theater for the movie.    The film features highlights of their journey towards a healthy life.  It's amazing seeing the difference in what they looked like when they arrived at the ranch - we have watched them each week, but have forgotten how big they actually were on day one.  It is truly amazing to watch them morph from day one to present - truly amazing.

The Last Chance Workout
Bob arrives to gather his team for the last chance workout.  He is amazed at how good they look since their makeover.  Then it's off to the gym.   Bob concentrates on Kristin because she is still the biggest in the house and therefore the biggest threat.  He encourages her to work harder.  Bob has them visualizing the scale with their third eye.  He works Filipe and tells him he doesn't want them to take him out like they did Sione.  He says he will work them out until they bleed.  Kristin realizes that she will have to give it everything she has.

Jillian was concerned about Laura and her complaints about pain in her hip.  She sends her to Dr. Huizenga for a check up.   Jillian holds her hand as she receives the news - she has a stress fracture in her hip.  He tells her they can not take any remote chances with her, because if it fractures all the way, she will have to have surgery.  Dr. Huizenga tells her no impact running for 3 months.  He tells us she will be unable to perform any significant calorie burning exercises during that time.  Laura is obviously upset as she is so close to the finish and worries that now everyone will just pass her by.

Jillian makes up the exercise time they missed while having their makeovers.  She pushes Helen, Mike and Tara.  Tara says she welcomes the challenge and she knows she has to be pushed.  Helen says she is tired as hell but she will do it.  Mike says it's the first workout they have had in the last few days.  Jillian pushes them to their limit.

The Weigh-In
Our contestants arrive for the weigh-in.  Alison announces that Mike is only 5 pounds away from breaking the record set by Roger (144 pounds in 15 weeks) of the most weight ever lost on campus. 

Pink - Helen          -7    4.14%
Green - Tara         -4   2.15%   
Brown - Mike        -5   2.02%    (Mike has broken Roger's record - 145 pounds in 15 weeks.)
Blue - Filipe          -5   1.98%
Brown - Ron         -6    1.95%   
Purple - Kristin      -2   0.82%
Green - Laura       +3  +1.46%

Filipe and Mike have carried Laura to the scale, then after the weigh-in, carry her back to the bottom of the steps.  Jillian can't even watch and begins to cry.  There's not a dry eye in the gym as Jillian tells Laura how well she has done, she got hurt but everything is going to be ok.

Back in the house, our contestants sit down to discuss the pros and cons of who will be going home.  Laura tells them that she wants to be at the ranch and will do what she can to lose weight.   She says she thinks she is in denial about it.  Tara begins to cry.  Laura says she wants them to vote as if she was not injured, she will be ok no matter what.  Kristin tells them that there is a huge gameplay there, they know that Laura will be weak.  She tells them that she is not there to win the money, she is there to get healthy so she can start a family.  She tells them not to take the cowardly way out, not to be afraid of her because she may be the bigger threat.  She begs them to keep her there.

After they leave the room, Ron says Laura can not get the help she needs at the ranch, she is in denial.  He says it is not about keeping Laura to support her, it has to be about fixing her and what the best thing is for her.  Ron says it will be a disservice to her to keep her there - she needs rest and rehab everyday.  Ron says from a game-play point of view, Kristin would be the one to go.  He also says he would never write her name down.  Mike says to keep Kristin in the house could be the worst thing for him.  Filipe says that if Laura stays he knows she will work out and could injure herself even more.  They leave Tara alone with her tears to work it out for herself.

The Elimination
Our contestants arrive in the elimination room.  Alison tells them that Kristin and Laura are below the yellow line and it will take 3 votes to eliminate one of them.

Tara votes Kristin.
Ron votes Laura.
Mike votes Laura.
Helen votes Kristin.
Filipe votes Laura.

Alison tells Laura she is dealing with a sports injury.  She tells her that she is not going home alone, they have doctors that will be taking care of her and she is still in it for the at-home players.  Laura hugs Kristin, then Tara, says goodbye and leaves.

We catch up with Laura.  When she arrived she weighed 285 pounds and she now weighs 208.  She says the hip fracture will not stop her from reaching the life she has been dreaming about.  She says she has a new confidence and a new respect for herself.  She says the next time we see her she will be pain free, injury free and living the life she always dreamed of.

Laura looks fantastic and has been meeting with doctors to see how her bone is doing.  The doctors tell her that everything is going as planned.  She is attending rehab and is on the road to achieving her goals.  She tells us the fact that she is maintaining the weight loss regardless of her injury has been a huge accomplishment.  She has lost 77 pounds and despite her injury, she is committed to her goal of losing 100 pounds before the finale. 

Next week on The Biggest Loser:  A confrontation between Mike and Ron on why he got so big and didn't try to change for Max and him.

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3471:he-biggest-loser-cuoples-2-fabulous-makeovers&catid=71:biggest-loser-couples-2009&Itemid=62

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2009, 08:25:07 AM »
The Biggest Loser's Laura Works Through Injuries

When Dr. Huizenga told Laura Denoux she had the worst injury he had seen in seven seasons, she knew she was in trouble. The 24-year-old fractured her hip and was forced to restrict her workouts, leading to a 3-pound weight gain and being up for elimination. Although she wanted to stay, Laura was sent home to recover from her injury and continue her progress on her own. TVGuide.com checked in with the former plus-size model, who has been able to maintain her 77-pound weight-loss, on how it felt to be made over by Tim Gunn and what she really thinks of Ron.

TVGuide.com: How did it feel to get the makeover this week?
Laura Denoux: The makeover felt amazing. I was crying a lot when they were doing my hair because I've been blonde my whole life, but I love my new red hair, I'm used to it now, I've been getting so many compliments on it and I love it. It was just great to feel all made-over with new clothes, especially after being in sweats all day long and T-shirts and sports bras.

TVGuide.com: Did Tim Gunn give you any good pointers?
Denoux: He did. He let us know we had been hiding behind big, baggy, black clothes all the time and he wanted us to feel comfortable wearing color now that we've got new bodies. We shouldn't be hiding behind black all the time since that's what makes us look thinner, but play with color and really flaunt whatever body part is something that we should be flaunting.

TVGuide.com: Your relationship with Jillian changed from her humiliating you in Week 9 to being emotional over your elimination...
Denoux: The relationship really changed when we went from Black and Blue to singles. I realized that I needed her and it was a little bit harsh, but she was doing it with good intentions. When I got over the fact that she called me the weakest link and was doing it to open my eyes, and it was at that point when we went to singles, that I realized she's doing this for me, to help me, and it was really a beneficial thing looking back on it now.

TVGuide.com: A lot of our readers have taken issue with Ron. Do you have any thoughts about him you can share?
Denoux: Ron is probably the smartest person on the show right now. He knows how to manipulate everybody and he's doing this so his son [Mike] can win. I think people were a little bit scared of him and you're always afraid if you vote off one, the other one is going to hate you later. So he definitely has learned how to manipulate this game. Ron's an awesome person, but he influenced people. It was almost like he had everybody hypnotized or something. It's very hard to explain.

TVGuide.com: So how's your hip doing?
Denoux: My hip is still fractured, but is doing much better. I actually have some lesions of a pre-stress fracture in my knee. I'm still having some restrictions with my workouts and what I can do.

TVGuide.com: What's your daily routine like?
Denoux: I'm really just trying to focus on losing the rest of the weight that I want to lose for the finale; my goal is 100 pounds. Since leaving the ranch, I've really just been able to maintain my weight, lose a couple pounds here and there, but it's a little more difficult. My workouts mainly consist of going to physical therapy, and when I do cardio, it's really limited to the spin bike. So mainly just weights, upper body, the rehab to my leg, cardio with the bike and swimming, since there's really no impact on my hip. But I prefer being in a gym, being able to listen to my music, so the bike is great, especially spinning classes. I love that.

TVGuide.com: Is being home this time around very different from those first 30 days you were home?
Denoux: Well, the first time I went home for the 30 days I really didn't know what I was doing. I was on the ranch for a week and then they're like, "Okay, you're going home for 30 days," and yeah, they gave us support going home, but it wasn't the same as being on the ranch. That's why so many of us were unsuccessful at home, compared to the people who stayed on the ranch. You really realize that being on the ranch you learn so much, it's priceless what you learn there, and nobody can teach you. Just being in everybody's space and Bob and Jillian's especially. It's hard to learn it just by being told, you have to experience it to really make sure it stays into a pattern once you get home.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Biggest-Loser-Laura-1005113.aspx

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2009, 08:46:31 AM »
Biggest Loser Recap: Laura Leaves with an Injury

In an episode filled with rewarding joys (makeovers for everyone!) and tough luck (Laura getting a stress fracture in her hip bone), the most profound moment came when Max, Ron’s son and Mike’s brother, saw Team Brown in their new slim state and just crumbled. No matter how encouraging Mike’s words were to Max, you felt Max’s self-realization, envy and emotion all at once and you wished producers would have just whisked him off then and there to work out with Bob and Jillian. Instead, the trainers continued to focus on the final seven. Although there was some anxiety over a weigh-in on the heels of a shortened week, the injured Laura Denoux, 24, was sent home in an anticlimactic ending to a dramatic show.

Presto, Change-O!: After Tara won her 10th challenge, a zipline high-over-the-canyon race where she was rewarded with a kitchen makeover, Alison Sweeney announced to the final seven that they would all, in fact, get makeovers. Filipe joked that if he got a haircut, he wouldn’t have to work out for a week because “that’s three or four pounds right there!” Tim Gunn helped style the finalists on a fashion fix at Macy’s; Tabatha Coffey and Brandon Martinez then cut and colored their hair. Helen, who had not bought a dress in 10 years, said, “I saw a new life for me, and a new future.” Among the makeover highlights — Kristin had those awful blonde streaks taken out; Mike looked like a 90210 extra in his blue vest and blazer combo, and Tara radiated confidence in a bold green gown.

That’s Hollywood: Told that they were getting dressed up to go to a Hollywood premiere, the contestants found themselves at an L.A. theater seeing a movie of their own highlights from being on The Biggest Loser. Of course, they were surprised by visits from family members. Tara’s mom Cheryl lost 40 lbs. herself; Kristin’s husband Nick just grinned with pride. Ron’s wife saw her beardless husband and said, “I was shocked he let them shave it and he looks great.” But Max Morelli could only respond in tears. “Seeing them was absolutely phenomenal,” he said of his father and brother. When Ron asked him why he was crying, Max lamented, “I’m the big one.” Mike told him, “Dad and I are coming back and we’re going to get you like this too.”

On Her Literal Last Leg: Back on the Ranch, the trainers ramped up the intensity of their last-chance workouts. Unfortunately, Laura, who had been improving in her attitude and weight loss, continued to feel pain in her hips. Jillian encouraged her to see Dr. Huizenga, who diagnosed her with a stress fracture at her hip bone. It was the “most severe sports-related injury that I’ve seen,” he said. Without being able to do heavy aerobic training, Laura gained 3 lbs. at the weigh-in, a result that made even tough-as-nails Jillian cry. Jillian apologized to Laura and said, “You are amazing and you have come so far. Never quit. You got injured and there’s nothing you can do about it. Everything is going to be okay.” Alas, everything would have to be okay off the Ranch, as Laura was voted out when she and Kristin both fell below the yellow line.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/15/biggest-loser-recap-laura-leaves-with-an-injury/#more-11342

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2009, 02:12:06 PM »
Looking at Old 'Biggest Loser' War Injuries with Laura Denoux

Now that the weight loss field in The Biggest Loser Couples has been narrowed, it's nail-biter time as the players hit the scales to inch closer to the title of Biggest Loser. But it was the long awaited makeover week on The Biggest Loser Couples, as Tim Gunn schooled the finalists on a fashion stint at Macy’s before Tabatha Coffey and Brandon Martinez grabbed scissors and color accessories to whip The Biggest Loser players' hair into new, less weighty shape.

But the high profile festivities weren't over as all of the remaining ranchers headed to Hollywood for a premiere, which turned out to be an unexpected highlight reel of their journeys on The Biggest Loser Couples, which made for pounds of reflective emotion. And the drama only continued when the ranchers were joined by their families, which then made for pounds of tears when Ron's son Max couldn't contain his emotions at seeing how far his father and brother had come in their journey to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle.

When things got back down to Biggest Loser business, Laura was still nursing a bad hip, which she eventually sought medical attention for at the urging of trainer Jillian. The final diagnosis indicated a stress fracture at Laura's hip bone, which forced Laura out of the exercise aspect of the show this week. As a result, Laura ended up gaining 3 pounds. And it's not too often that you see the steel chomping, tougher than leather Jillian shed a few tears either.

Unfortunately, due to her fractured hip bone, the ranchers felt compelled to send Laura home, with Filipe casting the final vote.

The next day we stepped on the scale with now ex-Biggest Loser Couples rancher, Laura Denoux, to get an update on her hip injury, the previous plan to throw the final weigh-in with Tara, and when she first started to notice her Biggest Loser weight loss and healthy transformation.

THE DEADBOLT: How did you injure the hip?

[Biggest Loser Couples NBC] LAURA DENOUX: Really, I think it was just a combination of running on the treadmill. It was an athletic injury. From what I was told from the doctors is a common injury that a lot of athletes get, especially when they run a lot. From the constant pounding on the bones, there’s that pressure on the femoral neck of my hip. So it was just constant running that we were doing. And then I think the different challenges, like the Rose Bowl stadium, just made it even worse. So I can’t really tell you one particular thing that caused my fracture.

THE DEADBOLT: So it was basically just wear and tear?

LAURA: [laughs] Basically, wear and tear. I mean I know they only show a few seconds of us working out, but we’re working out six to eight hours a day, and they can’t show all of that in the two-hour show once a week. I mean, you’re doing lots and lots of running, lots of pounding, and that’s what causes these types of fractures.

THE DEADBOLT: So what was that canyon wire-walk challenge like?

LAURA: Oh, my God! That thing was so scary. I mean you’re over a hundred feet off the ground and you’re just looking down, holding onto a wire, and you’re standing on a wire, and you have to walk across it as fast as you can. So not only are you afraid of falling because you might get disqualified - Or who knows? Maybe you might plunge to your death - but just being as high as we were ... I mean, the camera didn’t do any justice to it. It was high. It was extremely high.

THE DEADBOLT: It looked really cool.

LAURA: Yeah. I was super confident going into that challenge. I was like, ‘I’m gonna win this challenge and I’m just going to fly across it. I’m not afraid of heights.’ But then once you’re up there, the wind is swaying you back and forth and you’re like, ‘Oh, my God! If I fall off of this wire I might be disqualified.’ So you are kind of cautious.

THE DEADBOLT: Without relying on the scale, when did you first start to notice the weight loss? Was there one day where you were like, ‘Oh, great! Look at this.’?

[Biggest Loser Couples NBC] LAURA: I think once I started to see the fact that I started at like a 3X t-shirt and then all of a sudden I was down to a 1X, a large, the clothes. And the fact that the people who are giving us our clothes, the t-shirts, The Biggest Loser t-shirts, they’re like, ‘That’s too big for you now, you need another one. Here are your smaller shorts.’ You know, all of our clothes, and even our bras, weren’t fitting us anymore. You had to just get new ones. And that’s really where, I think, because you don’t really see yourself change unless you are looking at your clothes changing.

THE DEADBOLT: Last week, when you won the golden ticket, how long did it take to sink in that this thing might be a curse?

LAURA: [laughs] I think once I actually had to make a decision on who to send home. And I think everybody was getting a little bit insane with the workout, the last chance workout, the night before. You know, me having all of this stress, like, ‘Oh, my God! What if it’s this person that falls below? What if it’s that person that falls below? What am I going to do?’ Actually, what if it was two people that I loved just as equally, especially if it was Tara and Helen? That, I didn’t want to live with, sending home Helen. You know, she was one of my best friends on the show. So that was a lot of pressure.

THE DEADBOLT: Were you surprised at how emotional the whole journey was?

LAURA: Yeah. You know, I knew that I was an emotional person, but I didn’t realize that I was going to be crying so much on the show [laughs]. I mean, not only are you emotional for yourself but you’re emotional with all of the other contestants, because you’re seeing how much it’s affecting their lives and yours. And you don’t really realize how impactful to the people watching until you’re off the show and you’re in the real world, and people are coming up to you telling you how you inspired them and how they lost fifty pounds because they’ve been watching you. So being on the ranch, it’s emotional because you’re tired and you’re realizing how far you’ve come, especially towards the end . You’re like, ‘Oh, my God! I can’t believe I made it this far.’ But then when you get home and start to interact with other people, and see how much you’ve inspired them, that’s really big.

THE DEADBOLT: During the golden ticket episode, can you explain your reasoning behind the plan to get Tara to throw the weigh-in?

LAURA: Yeah. There were a couple of reasons why that came into our minds. Well, first off, we knew that if one of us got that ticket - You know, we’re also playing with water. I don’t think a lot of people realize that when you workout you can kind of conserve water for yourself for the following week so that if one of us threw the weigh-in, it was on purpose. So we could drink water, and then that way the next week have a huge week. But then there was also the fact that if she fell below the yellow line with somebody, it would make my job to vote somebody off even easier. And we were kind of hoping the person that did fall below with Helen was somebody we wanted to go home.

[Biggest Loser Couples NBC] But then there was that risk - What if Tara fell below with Helen? I don’t want Helen to go home either, so you were taking a lot of risk. And then it’s like, ‘Well, what if I fall below with Tara? Then Tara is going to go home.’ I know that everybody was really scared that we were going to throw the weigh-in. And that three pounds that Tara lost that week, people still thought that we were trying to throw the weigh-in and she really wasn’t. It came across our minds but that was definitely not what we were planning on doing. She really did lose three pounds because that’s all she lost.

THE DEADBOLT: What was your favorite challenge?

LAURA: I really loved the week five challenge when we were tied to ropes and had to jump over and under that metal pole. We were just laughing at the end. We were frustrated. But at the end we were just laughing at how silly we were because of how we got this rope tangled up. And really, that was the only challenge that Tara and I got to participate in as a team, because in week one we were running. But obviously Tara was way faster than I was and then I was home for thirty days. Then week five we got to that challenge once I got back. And then week six, I believe we were already into black and blue, so it was the only challenge that Tara and I got to do together. It was fun for us, and the tangling was just hilarious.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105631/biggest_loser_couples_laura_interview.php

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2009, 02:24:30 PM »
Alison's blog:

Ron shaved!!!

First of all, I LOVE Tim Gunn. Isn’t he just so awesome?? I loved watching him help everyone shop, Mike not liking pink (lol) and Helen being so affected by all the pretty dresses she can wear now – and seriously? She looked phenomenal. I loved the look on her husband’s face. Tara looked so incredible too – uh yeah, cover of OK magazine!!!! LOVED IT!!

That challenge was so intense. From my angle, there was no way Tara was coming back to beat Filipe. I mean, he had it in the bag! And the way she came back from behind to win again was just incredible. I didn’t know who to root for! I love Tara’s competitive personality (get to know me, lol) but I wanted a victory for Filipe too!!! It was so close, so intense! I was freaking out! And I was so impressed to see Mike and Kristin both overcoming their fear of heights to get through it. It was intimidating being way up there!
I can’t believe it’s Thursday – one more day of vacation for me, and then I am back to work at Days on Monday. But I’m a total workaholic, Ari even teased me as we were getting ready to leave before the hiatus – she asked if I was going to go out and get another job for the break. Lol.
Being with Ben and Megan has been so great. I was making dinner the other night and I heard her cry out from the other room. But as I was grabbing a towel to dry my hands, she stopped crying… I went in to see what happened, and Ben had given her her pacifier, he was saying “its okay, Megan, I’m here. I’m here megan” in this adorable high-pitched voice. It was so cute.
Oops. Megan is awake. Gotta go!

http://blog.nbc.com/alison/the_biggest_loser/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #291 on: April 18, 2009, 11:18:57 AM »
Biggest Loser’s Laura Talks Fractured Hip & New Boyfriend

When a fractured hip contributed to her elimination from The Biggest Loser, former plus-size model Laura Denoux’s exit brought trainer Jillian to tears. But Laura, 24, is happy now, leaving makeover week with a new hairdo, new-found confidence, a new career and a new boyfriend. Back in Miami, Fla., Laura spoke to PEOPLE.com — between rehabilitating her injuries and exercising to maintain her weight loss — to talk about emotional eating, her life now and her killer spicy shrimp recipe! – Rebecca Gross

How is your hip feeling and what are your workouts routines like?
I’m much better. My workouts mainly consist of going to physical therapy and cardio, which is limited to spinning on the bike or doing sit-down cardio because I can’t put any pressure or weight on my hips. My hip is still fractured. … So mainly, it’s just upper body weights, the bike and swimming, but I prefer being in a gym and listening to my music.

How did you enjoy the makeover and did you get any great advice from Tim Gunn?
It was amazing! I’m still a redhead and I love it. They didn’t show this, but I was crying a lot when they were doing my hair because I’ve been a blonde my whole life, but I love my hair and I’m used to it now. It was great to feel made over with new clothes, especially after being in sweats all day with T-shirts and sports bras. Tim Gunn let us know we were hiding behind big, baggy black clothes all the time. He wanted us to feel comfortable wearing color now that we have new bodies.

With Jillian’s help, were you able to work through the emotional issues and get to the bottom of why you gained weight?
Yes, one thing was my father passing away from cancer when I was 15. I was filling that emptiness with food. My parents were divorced since I was 5 and being on my own as an only child, I was always looking for food as a comfort. I always related food with my emotional self and now I’m learning that I can’t use food as an emotional crutch anymore.

What are you up to these days?
I’m sitting in my office at my new job. I’m doing something very exciting that I’m extremely passionate about. Since being on Biggest Loser: Couples and changing my lifestyle to diet and exercise, I’m now the Heart Walk Director for the American Heart Association in Miami.

How else has your social life changed since you’ve lost weight?
I have started to date somebody and so far everything is looking pretty good. I’m just a happier person and I think that everybody is seeing that. I go out and have fun. I like to shop. Before I would make excuses not to go out. I’m more comfortable and have more confidence and I know who I am now, whereas before I wasn’t so sure.

What is the biggest lesson you learned about food and diet?
Before the show, my diet consisted of eating out a lot and you never know what the restaurants are putting in the food, if they’re using oil or butter or salt or sauces. Now I’ve learned to cook my own food and I’ve really been able to cut down on my calorie intake by not eating out as much. Something that I like to eat that I made up at the Ranch is this spicy shrimp dish. Shrimp is extremely low in calories. I just use Cholula hot sauce, Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter spray, and it’s [like] something you’d get at a restaurant!

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/04/17/biggest-losers-laura-talks-fractured-hip-new-boyfriend/#more-11422

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #292 on: April 22, 2009, 11:16:33 AM »
Biggest Loser: Couples Episode Recap: "Week 16"

t's the sixteenth week on The Biggest Loser campus, and the claws are coming out. Tara lost her partner, leaving the Brown team as the only pair intact, and Tara's scared and upset that Jillian advocated for Laura to be voted out. The two talk it over, and after Jillian yells at her not to be so selfish and realize it wasn't right to keep her there with an injury, the two move on. On the other side, Kristin is also terrified that there are only three weigh-ins left and that the moment she declares how badly she wants to win, it will get yanked away.

The contestants were treated to a fitness and food trivia game this week with Rosemary Ellis, the editor-in-chief of Good Housekeeping, as the host. The questions are somewhat tricky. (Who knew that ground chicken wasn't a great option since it includes the skin?) The last question asks how many calories a fried fish sandwich with tartar sauce contains, and Mike is only 5 calories off from the correct answer of 640. I'm always amazed at how well they all learn calorie counts. Kristin is pretty bummed when Mike wins the three-day trip for two to New York City and even asks him, "Are you even old enough to go to New York by yourself?" Someone's a little bitter.

Next up is the challenge where the contestants' future literally hangs in the balance. Are there ever any challenges that aren't metaphors for the BL contestants? Each person hangs in a cage suspended 45 feet above the ground, and each one holds the rope that keeps them in the air. Once they let go, the cage falls and they're eliminated. Everyone freaks out about the height, and Mike and Ron are the first two to drop. Everyone starts bickering to cause each other to lose focus, but it doesn't really work for anyone. I love that Helen called Tara out for her diss that sounded more like something a 10-year-old would say. After an hour, only Tara and Helen are left. Helen tries to bargain with the powerhouse but to no avail. She lets go of the rope and Tara wins... again. Yawn. She gets a choice between $10,000 and a one-pound advantage to be decided at the weigh-in. Which would you choose?

Bob watches the video journal he had instructed his team to make so that he'd get a sense of their eating habits. Surpisingly, he's upset that they're not eating enough. Even their dinner is one serving split between the three of them. We all know that on the ranch, when you eat too little it ends up backfiring.

During the last-chance workout, emotions were running wild. Bob pushes Kristin to her limits and gets her to run at 10.0 for 30 seconds. Pretty impressive I think. Jillian forces Mike to evaluate his anger and resentment towards his father, and he's finally able to ask him why he allowed his sons to get as obese as he did. Mike tells Ron that he's been so frustrated but never expressed it His dad tells him that it's okay to be mad, but that he couldn't drill it into his family while he wasn't on track himself. But now that Mike and Ron are on their way, they can return home and show Mike's overweight brother Max how to get there too.

At the weigh-in, Tara reveals her decision from winning the challenge, and takes a risk by going for the $10,000. As she steps on the scale — with Jilllian scared to look — she learns she lost five pounds and 2.75 percent body fat, which is a great number considering she passed on the one-pound advantage. Next up is Ron, who loses four pounds, 1.32 percent, and is under 300 pounds for the first time since his early teens. Helen weighs in and only loses one pound, .62 percent. She's not so thrilled. Mike, yet again, has a great week and loses eight pounds — he's down 153 in total — and 3.29 percent. Filipe is up next and only loses three pounds and 1.21 percent. The shocking number of the night is Kristin, who actually gains a pound, +.41 percent, despite her intense workouts this week. Both she and Bob are stunned and confused.

With Kristin and Helen below the yellow line, Jillian calls it the worst-case scenario, as these are two players who do not deserve to go home. Helen pleads with her fellow competitors that she is not ready to go. Kristin is flat out angry that she worked so hard and this is how her body reacted. She speaks to Ron alone in hopes to guarantee both his vote and Mike's. Ron tells her that he's keeping his word to never write her name down and will talk to Mike about doing the same. But, of course, that's not what happens. Ron and Mike shadily discuss how they plan to vote, and since Kristin is Mike's biggest threat in the house, he votes for her causing a tie. That means the person with the lowest percentage is out — Kristin's going home. She sees past Ron's claim that he didn't know Mike would vote for her and calls him out for taking the easy route to victory. I guess I'd be upset too, but then again it's a game and everyone is going to do what they can to win the $250,000.

Kristin goes home, but she's ecstatic that she's gone from 360 pounds to 244 in just 16 weeks. She tells the world in her exit interview that she's going to walk back into her house and restart life as a brand-new person. Upon her return she's welcomed by her husband, mother, Biggest Loser partner Cathy and the rest of her family. Like she said earlier in the episode, it may have taken 16 weeks, but she's realized that she deserves this new, healthier version of herself. 

Do you think the Brown team did the right thing or stabbed Kristin in the back?

http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/biggest-loser/Biggest-Loser-Couples-1005312.aspx

Offline Texan

• Robs Bestest Angel
  • RFF Global Moderator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Groovy!!!
« Reply #293 on: April 22, 2009, 11:37:02 AM »
thanks for the recap.  I missed the show.  I really need to set the dvr!!!  I knew when Kristin fell below the line that Ron would vote her out.  I am still shocked that they kept him all this time as he has expressed he is only worried about his son.  Not even himself.  I hope he falls below next week.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2009, 10:57:20 AM »
Inside the Cage of Health with Kristin Steede of The Biggest Loser Couples

As The Biggest Loser Couples narrows the field in another healthy season of weight-loss transformations, the competition is still as competitive as ever. This week saw the editor of Good Housekeeping magazine arrive to give The Biggest Loser players a multiple choice quiz on counting calories in which Kristin and Mike went head-to-head in a tie before Mike won a trip to New York for his food and calorie prowess. Next on The Biggest Loser challenge docket was a cage suspension test where each had to hold their weight where challenge champ Tara came out the winner for a fifth time to land a $10,000 prize for her efforts.

After a "last chance workout," The Biggest Loser competitors stepped on the scales for the final weigh-in where 3-pound loser Felipe appeared to be the next Biggest Loser to leave the ranch before an over-confident Kristin shocked herself by gaining 1-pound for the week. Although Kristin made a last ditch plea to Mike to keep her in the game, at The Biggest Loser deliberation table it was Kristin who was sent packing from the ranch.

The next morning we hopped on our weekly Biggest Loser conference call to chat with Kristin Steede and walk back in Biggest Loser time to find out how she gained weight, whether she knew Ron and Mike were going to vote her out, how she's changed both her workout and eating routines, and what's in store for the future now that Kristin has undergone a healthy transformation on The Biggest Loser Couples.

THE DEADBOLT: How did you manage to gain weight before the last weigh-in?

[Biggest Loser Couples NBC] KRISTIN STEEDE: It came to me the day after the ranch. You know, there’s a certain time of the month for a woman where her weight tends to fluctuate and I didn’t recognize what was happening at the time until after I had left. I think it’s just hormonally in combination with the stress and everything else, because diet and exercise-wise I couldn’t have had a better week. I was running farther and faster than I have ever run in my entire life. So, I mean, it really didn’t make any sense to me at the time but I kind of realized afterwards what was going on.

THE DEADBOLT: Oh, [so] it was a "female" thing going on.

KRISTIN: [laughs] Yes, exactly. And you know, it also expressed [other factors] because I was very emotional that week. And I think the emotions came from not only falling below the yellow line the week before, but it all made sense after I left. I was like, ‘That’s why,’ and everything kind of came together.

THE DEADBOLT: So I guess I can’t call you blueberry anymore.

KRISTIN: [laughs] You big blueberry. I think that’s one of the funniest things. Some of my friends actually joke around and will say that once in a while. I think that’s such a great clip, because Filipe and I are such good friends.

THE DEADBOLT: Now that you’re home, how much do you work out with your mother?

KRISTIN: You know, I do not work out with my mother all that much. We try to get together whenever we can, but I have a philosophy: ‘Do it for yourself, by yourself.’ My mom and I had tried so many diets and exercise programs together in the past and the moment my mom didn’t feel like going it was easy for me not to go, and vice versa. So now the way that I structure my exercise routine is like - I’ll let her know where I’m going and what I’m doing and when I’m doing it, and if she wants to join me - I would love for her to do it, but I don’t wait for her. I don’t depend on her. And now, actually, when we work out together it’s a treat and an enjoyable thing to do. But we are on two different schedules, two different work schedules, so we’re always on the go.

THE DEADBOLT: Did you have any indication that Ron and Mike were going to pull that voting routine?

[Biggest Loser Couples NBC] KRISTIN: You know, I wasn’t quite sure. I mean, obviously the week before Ron and Mike had both voted to keep me in the house and eliminate Laura, so there was a chance. Knowing that it was a game atmosphere, knowing we were so close to the end, I knew that it was a possibility. And as far as I’m concerned, in the game of The Biggest Loser you are in control of your fate. You can’t fall below the yellow line otherwise your fate is in someone else’s hand and I knew that from the beginning. So, because of my body and what had happened I had given them that opportunity. So I really don’t feel like it’s fair to blame them for elimination, because I fell below the yellow line and they did it and that’s how the game works.

THE DEADBOLT: In terms of the game, what was your favorite aspect of the gameplay?

KRISTIN: It was so terrible, like the whole gameplay aspect of it, because TV will never do justice to the relationships you form with people on the ranch. You know, you wake up every morning and you have breakfast with those people and you change your lives with all of the contestants. So there’s really nothing about the gameplay that's [there]. Like even Tara, Tara is an amazing person and an amazing competitor, I have so much respect and admiration for her. I mean, no matter what, it’s a hard game to play. And for me personally, and who I am, there wasn’t really a part of that that I enjoyed.

THE DEADBOLT: Before you got involved with the show, what was your biggest weakness, junk-food-wise?

KRISTIN: Oh, boy! I would say anything chocolate related. Anything, you know? I really had a craving for sweets and I’ve actually come to the realization now that I kind of call myself a food addict. You know, when I was heavy and before I went on the show I would get a craving, or an idea of something that I wanted, and it would basically be in my head until I acted it on that craving, much like an addict would. So it was really powerful to recognize that and actually admit that to myself and then learn and work on dealing with it.

THE DEADBOLT: Does that still affect you or can you eat a bit of chocolate and be okay?

[Biggest Loser Couples NBC] KRISTIN: You know, I still do. I think it’s something I’ll battle with all of the time. But now I really do look at food differently. I really believe that if I want to have a cookie, I need to eat that cookie, enjoy that cookie and not feel guilty about that and maybe just compensate for it, because losing weight is all about calories consumed versus calories burned. Now am I burning more calories than I’m eating?

So if I’m maintaining my weight, I’ll eat that cookie and enjoy it, and I understand I’ll have to have it in moderation. But then maybe I have to run a little longer or walk on the treadmill. I think in the past I would associate some guilt with food, because I was heavy and I believed, ‘Oh, I shouldn’t do that or I shouldn’t eat that.’ I just want to live normally. I understand I’ll eat things that aren’t the healthiest and I can have them occasionally as long as I eat them in moderation and compensate for it.

THE DEADBOLT: At the end of the show I was surprised to see you speaking to 200 people. How did that come about?

KRISTIN: I’ve obviously been home for two months now and it was something that a lot of people have been coming up to me to talk, that had wanted to hear about my story and hear about my experience. And just being from a small community, and the show’s 'Where Are They Now?’ segment, which I think is a fabulous part of the show, it’s all about what people want to do. You know, some people want to run marathons and some people want, like, Mandy with her children. I’m really looking forward to the opportunity to potentially speak to people and help people with what I’ve experienced and learned on The Biggest Loser, which is kind of how that whole segment kind of came about.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105651/biggest_loser_couples_kristin_interview.php

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #295 on: April 24, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »
'The Biggest Loser''s Kristin Steede Talks About Life After the Ranch

Kristin Steede was the largest woman in "The Biggest Loser" history to compete on the ranch for as long a time as she did. When she began, she weighed 360 pounds. Today, she is 140 pounds lighter -- and an inspiration to all.

On this week's episode, Kristin gained one pound and fell below the yellow line, and when the vote tied -- Filipe and Ron voted for Helen to go home; Mike and Laura voted for Kristin to go home -- the default went to her as the person with the lowest percentage of weight loss.

How did you manage to gain weight before the last weigh in?

Kristin Steede: It came to me the day after the ranch. There's a certain time of the month for a woman where her weight tends to fluctuate. And, you know, I didn't recognize what was happening at the time until after I had left.

I think it was just hormonally in combination with the stress and everything else because diet and exercise-wise, I couldn't have had a better week. I was running further and running faster than I had ever run in my entire life.

After your elimination, you said how you kind of felt that everything happened for a reason on the ranch. You didn't go say it, but did you think that Ron and Mike had been up to something?

Kristin Steede: I always knew that aligning myself with them would be risky. The one thing that I can say about Ron is he never hid the fact that he was there for the best intentions of Mike. And from a pure numbers standpoint, it was obvious that on a weight loss basis that I was Mike's biggest competition there.

I'm not the strongest. I'm not the fastest. But for the amount of weight that I could have lost or needed to lose to compete with him, I think I would really have given him a run for his money.

You talked a lot about how much you wanted to win because you didn't want to fail and you were just struggling with those feelings. Where are you with that now? Are you more comfortable where you are now?

Kristin Steede: I am absolutely amazing. You know, I came to the realization that win or lose, "The Biggest Loser" would not define who I was as a person. And I love the lesson that it taught me in life. I wanted it, I worked so hard for it and I didn't get it.

[The fact that I didn't win] is not going to stop me from achieving what I wanted to achieve because in reality, I went there with the intention of changing my life and I know I've done that. So I got more out of this than I ever expected I would.

Now that you're home, how much do you workout with your mother?

Kristin Steede: You know, I do not workout with my mother all that much. We try to get together whenever we can. But I have a philosophy: Do it for yourself by yourself. My mom and I had tried so many diets and exercise programs together in the past. And the moment my mom didn't feel like going, it was easy for me not to go and vice versa.

So now the way that I structure my exercise routine is I'll let her know where I'm going, what I'm doing and when I'm doing it, and if she wants to join me, I would love for her to do it.

But I don't wait for her. I don't depend on her. And actually, now when we workout together it's a treat and it's an enjoyable thing to do.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73151/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #296 on: April 28, 2009, 10:00:49 PM »
The Biggest Loser: Couples Episode Recap: "Week 17"

It was an emotional last week on The Biggest Loser ranch, filled with a lot of reflection and happy man-tears. After saying goodbye to Kristin, Mike is convinced that his dad has won the game for him. "My dad is playing chess and the others are playing checkers," he says.

The contestants walk into the gym where Alison is there to take them on a trip down Memory Lane. Tara admits that it's hard to watch herself and wonders why it took her so long to get where she is today. Filipe just laughs when he sees how he looked and how exhausted he was during the first week. Helen is horrified by her disastrous hairdo and to see Mike then and now is incredible.

Alison informs everyone that it's officially their last week on campus and sends them off for a workout where the trainers re-create some of the stuff they watched on the video from Week One. Afterwards, Helen, Tara and Mike try on their "goal" outfits and are amazed that not only do they fit, but they look fabulous. That Mike has really become a cutie.

Next it's off to Dr. H.'s to check in on their health progress. He reminds them that they were the sickest group ever accepted onto The Biggest Loser but today, you'd never know it. Helen, at 48, was biologically 60 years old when she entered the ranch. Today she's down to 50. Tara sees her stomach from Week One and shouts, "Oh, dear God," but then sees her stomach today and says, "That looks a hell of a lot better." Filipe has lost 15 inches around his stomach and Mike, who was the youngest and perhaps sickest contestant, has lost over half of the area around his waist. Ron couldn't even fit into the MRI machine the first week and now not only has he been able to stop taking most of his medications, but the fat pad that was around heart is almost gone.

It's time for the last challenge and the players have to lose the weight they've lost all over again. The task is for them to carry the amount of pounds they've shed over the last 16 weeks, and each time they make it over a hill, they can drop the number of pounds they lost in that corresponding week. Mike starts off struggling with his 153 extra pounds but soon picks up the slack. Tara also has trouble, but passes Mike to gain the lead and win. She gets to make the choice, yet again, of winning $10,000 or a one-pound advantage at weigh-in. Mike comes in second and gets whatever she doesn't choose. As each person finishes, they throw the empty bag that they carried over the mountain, to symbolize that they're getting rid of that old self for good.

Next it's train the trainer day and Jillian is not excited. "I didn't come here 400 pounds, so why am I getting my ass beat?" she says. Bob, on the other hand, loves it. But soon enough, he gets beat down and even has to yell at Filipe to shut up — in the friendliest of ways, of course. Afterward, it's payback time as the trainers hand out an intense, last-chance workout. Everyone gives it their all, determined to pull a good number in the final week. Filipe shows his confidence by saying, "There are four jackals in the house trying to take me down, but it's no problem. They're going against a lion."

Time for the final weigh-in to determine who makes it to the finale. Alison tells the group that the five of them came in with a combined weight of 1,733 pounds, but today they have lost over 600 pounds together. Pretty astounding. Tara announces her decision to take the one-pound advantage, leaving Mike $10,000 richer. Nice chunk of change for a college kid to pocket. So here's how the final numbers fell:

Ron: loses 9 pounds, 3.02 percent, to get down to 289 pounds. 141 total pounds lost in 17 weeks.
Filipe: loses 10 pounds, 4.10 percent, down to 234 pounds. (Yells his signature "wooo.") 130 total pounds lost.
Helen: loses 7 pounds, 4.35 percent, down to 154 pounds. 103 total pounds lost.
Mike: loses 11 pounds, 4.68 percent, down to 224 pounds. 164 total pounds lost.
Tara: loses 8 pounds, with one-pound advantage, 5.08 percent, down to 169 pounds. She's Jillian's only original contestant, has lost a total of 125 pounds, which is the most any woman ever lost on campus.

So Filipe and Ron are below the yellow line. Has the final week ever been full of such high numbers?

During deliberation, Filipe gets emotional as he talks about why he wants to be a finalist. He feels that in order to be the best, you got to beat the best but ultimately the decision will be in Helen and Tara's hands. Since both Filipe and Ron had previously placed votes against her, Helen feels no loyalty toward either person. But she does feel powerful and soaks it in as she and Tara are deciding the final four.

During elimination, Mike obviously votes for Filipe. Helen then also votes to eliminate Filipe as he's the bigger threat to her. But Filipe says he can't leave sad, as everything he's ever wanted to accomplish, he has.

So now it's 30 days at home for the final four — Tara, Helen, Ron and Mike — before the finale weigh-in. Who do you think will take home the grand prize?

http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/biggest-loser/Biggest-Loser-7-1005528.aspx

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »
'Biggest Loser''s Filipe Fa on Leaving the Ranch

It was clear to Filipe Fa that if he fell below the yellow line on Tuesday night's "The Biggest Loser" he would be going home -- and just miss becoming one of the final four. But when his weigh-in showed a loss of 10 pounds, he had a fleeting thought that he was safe.

That was until he saw that everyone else was making big numbers, too. After all was said and done, Filipe was below the yellow line with Ron Morelli. And when it came time to vote, it was a no-brainer that Ron's son Mike would vote for Filipe. Then, when Helen Phillips, too, cast her vote for him, the fate of 26-year-old from Arizona was sealed.

ET: When you look back at the show, do you think there is anything you could have done differently that would have put you in the final four?

Filipe Fa: No. I killed it that week. In fact my regimen was even tougher than before. I made a goal to wake up every morning at 4:30, finish breakfast by 5 a.m., and workout from 5 to 7 a.m. I basically worked out eight to 10 hours a day that last week. I have no regrets. I gave it my all.

ET: Helen said that since both you and Ron voted for her previously when she fell below the yellow line, that she had no loyalty to either of you. So do you think if you had not voted for her earlier, it might have changed her vote, or was she really into the game by then?

Filipe Fa: I think she was really into the game by that point. I don't know why she would have felt that I would have voted otherwise. I would never write Kristin Steede's name down. I was closer to Kristin than to Helen. I know that it made her upset, but I had to vote for my friend. Whether I voted for her or not, I don't think it would have changed the outcome, because this week everybody was playing the game. So when I fell below the yellow line, I knew I was gone.

ET: Going back to your blow-up with Jillian Michaels. Did that have anything to do with the fact that she was a woman? Was that part of your issue with her, or was it that you really felt she wasn't working you out?

Filipe Fa: No. It had nothing to do with the fact that she was a woman, or that she wasn't working me out. I think we just had bad communication that week. I didn't really mean to blow up on her, and she didn't mean to say some things, as well. In fact, off-camera we talked about it and made up. We are really good friends right now. I haven't talked to her since I have been off the show, but I have no ill feelings toward her. She is probably one of the best trainers out there.

ET: Have you lost any more than the 13 pounds we saw last night since you have been home?

Filipe Fa: I am still the same. I am around the same range.

ET: Do you have a favorite from the final four to win the competition and the $250,000?

Filipe Fa: Tara Costa. That last week on the ranch, Tara and I were able to get close. We had some great conversations. By nature, she is a tough competitor. Because she is so consistent in being so tough, she deserves it more than anybody else.

ET: You mentioned that you had problems when you first got home. Why do you think your routine stalled?

Filipe Fa: When I first got home, I had the hardest time trying to adjust back to normal life. Going from having a routine on the ranch, where I knew I could wake up every day and do this, and then I had to incorporate family life into that. I still worked out every day, I just I found myself plateauing. Then my father had his stroke. I had to tend to that while my mom worked. I had to be there for my dad. There was a lot of family drama I had to deal with before I could get back on track. [Note: Filipe's dad is doing better and has improved his eating habits and has lost 18 pounds since his stroke.]

ET: How is your relationship with Sione since you have taken this journey with him?

Filipe Fa: I think for the most part it has drawn us closer. Sione has always been there for me. He was always a close cousin to me. Being able to make the journey with him has been amazing. We still work out together every morning. As much as it is a competition, we still workout together every morning.

ET: After losing large amounts of weight, what happens to all the stretched skin?

Filipe Fa: That has been the struggle with me being home is dealing with this excess skin. The advice I got from Bob was just a lot of cardio. It is going to take a lot of intense cardio to take it off. I am dealing with it. I have gotten more off since I have been off the show. Hopefully, by the finale I will look as good as I want to.

"The Biggest Loser" returns next week for the penultimate episode, when we will see the competitors after they have spent 30 days at home -- and, in addition to the weigh-in, they will be tasked with completing a marathon. Then the finale airs Tuesday, May 12 at 8 p.m. on NBC.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/04/73383/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #298 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
A New Lease on Weight-Loss Life with Filipe Fa of The Biggest Loser

After watching his cousin, Sione, leave The Biggest Loser ranch in week ten, Filipe Fa of Arizona was left to fend for himself in this season of The Biggest Loser Couples. Outgoing and fun, Filipe entered The Biggest Loser at 360 pounds with a goal to be an inspiration to his family, all of Tongan heritage, who have an organic cultural predisposition to being heavy. When Sione left the ranch, Filipe gave it his all to become the final "Biggest Loser" but soon found himself on the other side of the weight-loss scales, at a disadvantage to the still remaining father and son team Ron and Mike, without the votes to continue his Biggest Loser journey.

When the votes were counted, Filipe gave a heartfelt and appreciative final speech before the remaining team members, surprised and confident after losing 140 pounds to set himself on a new path to a happier and healthy life without all of the extra weight.

The morning after Filipe left The Biggest Loser ranch, we stepped on our weekly conference call scales to learn more about Filipe's time on The Biggest Loser Couples, his run-in with Jillian, how he's dealing with the extra flab left by so much weight-loss, and why his health routine stalled somewhat when he returned home from The Biggest Loser.

THE DEADBOLT: What was your time on the ranch like after Sione left?

[Biggest Loser Couples] FILIPE FA: You know, it was kind of rough. In fact, the next day I don't think I said a word to anybody. I was so devastated. I went on a hike. I ran for a little and everybody gave me my space and respect\. But it was kind of hard because we had a routine together. We would wake up every morning, eat the same thing, and workout together. So when he left, it's like back to that square one where I was when he left the first time, except this time I wasn't able to bring him back. So it was kind of hard.

THE DEADBOLT: How often do you talk to Bob?

FILIPE: I talk to Bob once a month on a rare occasion. He's very busy and we're busy. But the great thing about him is that he'll check in once in a while on everybody, and when he does call he gives us the words of encouragement and advice. And then he needs to do what he does best, and that's help people lose weight [laughs].

THE DEADBOLT: I thought it was funny when he kept telling you to shut-up during the workout. What was it like to be Bob's trainer?

FILIPE: Oh, my God, I had so much fun with that. You know, they showed probably one percent [of that]. I talked so much trash that day. There was a part where he was on the Stairmaster and he was breathing so hard he was whistling. He was like, [wheezing sounds]. He was gasping for air and I was like, "Oh, do you need air?" And he goes, "Shut up, Filipe!" I loved it. I loved the fact that we had "train a trainer" day and that he admitted that I killed him. So that was good.

THE DEADBOLT: What's your relationship with Jillian like now?

[Biggest Loser Couples] FILIPE: You know, I had that little blow up with Jillian, I think it was week ten. I haven't spoken to her but I have no ill feeling towards her. You know, we just had a miscommunication that week. In fact, we talked about it over and over while I was on the ranch and my relationship right now is - I love Jillian. I think she's a wonderful trainer, actually, an amazing trainer and I wish the best for her.

THE DEADBOLT: I was wondering about something that no one has mentioned yet. After losing these massive amounts of weight, what happens to the stretched skin?

FILIPE: You know, that's something. In fact, that's been a struggle with me being home, is dealing with this extra skin. So the advice I got from Bob was just a lot of cardio, and so it's just going to take a lot more intense cardio to take it off. I'm dealing with it pretty well. I've gotten a little more off since I've been off of the show, and so hopefully by the finale I'll look as good as I hope I do.

THE DEADBOLT: So they are just toning up exercises, I guess, to tighten up everything?

FILIPE: Yeah. A lot of it's less weight, more reps. So we have more intense workouts where we go high intense cardio for a half hour, hit the weights for a good hour, then go back cardio and just bring the heart rate down.

THE DEADBOLT: What do you currently weigh, and what do you ultimately want to get to?

[Biggest Loser Couples] FILIPE: Well, I've only lost 13 pounds since the show, so currently now I'm in the 220-219 range. So I'm hoping to drop another good 10 or 15 before the finale and I'm working hard on that and things are looking good for me. So we'll see how things go.

THE DEADBOLT: You also mentioned that when you got home your routine kind of stalled. What happened?

FILIPE: Yeah. When I first got home, I think my routine kind of stalled a little bit because I think I had a hard time trying to adjust back to normal life. You know, going from having a regiment and routine on the ranch, where we knew every day I'm gonna wake up and do this and then turn a corporate family life into that.

So I was still working out every day, I just found myself plateauing from here to there. And my father having a stroke and me having to attend to that while my mom worked, you know, long hours. So I had to be there for my dad, and so it was just hard. I still worked out every day but there was a lot of family drama at home that I had to deal with before I could get my schedule back.

http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/105667/filipe_fa_biggest_loser_interview.php

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #299 on: May 04, 2009, 09:59:43 AM »
The Biggest Loser: Couples
It's Official: American Will Vote!

Can you believe it?  We are down to the final four of The Biggest Loser: Couples and we still have an actual team intact so close to the finale.  While I wasn't a Filipe fan, I was secretly hoping that he would stay.  He and Mike did so well on the challenge this week - and yes,  I was surprised that Tara pulled off her 12th win of the season.  That's not to say I wanted Ron to go home either.  I have to agree with Bob, Ron has played this game basically with one shoulder and one leg - not easy to get to the final four with those odds.   But, hey, the green team may have hung in there to the end had it not been for Laura's fracture.

Coming up this week, our contestants learn that their final challenge is to run a full marathon - cheered on by past season winners of The Biggest Loser.  Unfortunately, I can't see Ron winning this one - but you can bet he will give it all he has.  Will Tara make it to a first-place finish and win her 13th challenge of the season?   Tara, Helen and Mike had excellent percentages of weight loss last week... they were the Top 3 out of 5 losers last week!  Will the stress of being at home take away their momentum?  The last time Tara went home, she only lost 2 pounds to Ron's 10, Mike's 8 and Helen's 7.  That said, Tara did have the best time in the Half Marathon and lost to Sione only because Helen ate a cookie... but that was 6 weeks ago, everyone has gotten stronger and more athletic.

Hooray!  It's official - America will once again determine who will be the third finalist in the season finale.  So warm up those voting fingers devoted fans.  Last time America could vote online or text in their choice.  We'll be sure to post the necessary voting information immediately following the show Tuesday night.

For me, this is must-see TV... well, it is if you love watching The Biggest Loser as much as I do...   There are so many different scenarios, all of them exciting:   Ron is the last remaining member of Bob's team - can he lose enough weight during his 30 days at home to push either of the ladies below the yellow line?  Can Mike and Ron loose enough weight to take the top 2 spots and push both ladies below the yellow line?  Will an intact Brown Team make it to final 2?  Will the youngest contestant make it to the final 2?  Or could it be that Jillian just might have all three of her remaining team members make it to Finale night?  If Helen stays in the top 2, could it be that Jillian will once again have a Pink Team member in the Finale.  Will Pink once again represent in the final 2?  Will Jillian's only remaining original team member make it to the final 2?  I can't wait to find out!

Join us when most of these questions are answered on Tuesday, May 5, at 8/7c on The Biggest Loser Couples 2 - only on NBC!  I know if my favorite falls below the yellow line, I will be voting till my fingers bleed to make sure my favorite makes it to Finale night... how about you?

http://www.tvgrapevine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3520:the-biggest-loser-couples-american-will-vote&catid=71:biggest-loser-couples-2009&Itemid=62