Author Topic: Dancing With The Stars Season 8  (Read 244093 times)

Offline RealityFreakWill

• Big Brother Sho2 Updater
  • RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
  • WILL & JAMES AMAZING RACE 32 CHAMPIONS!
    • Facebook
Re: Dancing With The Stars Season 8
« Reply #800 on: May 13, 2009, 01:02:07 PM »
Ty's blog:

‘The troops gave a gallant effort’

Good morning troops.

I think we had a darn good run and, I think, the troops gave a gallant effort. We probably stayed on the right amount of time and I'm not going to lie: right now I'm thrilled beyond belief that I don't have to learn any more dances!

It was a great experience and I feel like it got a ton of recognition for cowboys and bull riders.

I know the support we got was enormous in order to bring Cheslie and I ten weeks into this show – the semi-finals – and when you look at some of the fan bases that the cowboy army was able to beat out its pretty incredible.

I'm mean, when you think of Lawrence Taylor and Lil' Kim and, really, everybody; they all come from pretty successful backgrounds. And, I think, the cowboy nation did one heck of a job.

Last night, as soon as "Dancing with the Stars" was over they whisked me and Chelsie through the press line and then rushed us off to appear on "Jimmy Kimmel Live." We did that and I got to talk about the PBR. Then I had to get up at 3:30 this morning to be on "Good Morning America" via satellite from the CBS stage and now later on today we'll jump on an airplane and fly to New York so we can be on "Regis and Kelly" tomorrow morning.

That's good because Jewel is there promoting her new "Lullaby" album, so I'll get to see her tonight.

Chelsie and I will be coming back for the series finale of the show next week so I'll stay in touch with the troops like I have been until this thing is all wrapped up. And then we'll get back to talking about bull riding.

But I want to send out a real, true, heartfelt thank you to everyone that has supported me.

I really appreciate all the comments you leave for me every day and for going through this journey with me and giving me all the support because, trust me, it's pretty obvious that dancing isn't my thing and the long days spent trying to learn these dances would have been a heck of a lot tougher to get through if I didn't know that I had such a great Army behind me.

I'll check back in and let everyone know how the trip to New York went and, again, I truly appreciate every one for cheering me on through this experience.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/5/13/The-troops-gave-a-gallant-effort#more

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #801 on: May 14, 2009, 10:25:15 AM »
Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani: From 'Dancing' to Dining

click on link below to view video

"Dancing with the Stars" semi-finalists Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani took a break from rehearsing and partnered up in the kitchen!

ET was behind the scenes for their photo shoot for In Touch weekly where they taste tested each other's favorite foods!

"I have brought a little southern comfort up here," Melissa says. "Some chicken fried chicken, and mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. All the foods from home."

"I brought grilled chicken, vegetables, meat sausage and that type of stuff," Tony says. "So it's very protein and vegetable oriented."

Tony tells ET that although he is generally health conscious he did not put his partner on a "Dancing" diet.

"We work so hard that you've got to give yourself something to look forward to," Tony says. "I just think that everybody's beautiful the way they are, they don't need to be on a diet as long as they're happy."

Watch the video to learn more about Tony and Melissa's favorite foods and to find out Melissa's post "Dancing" plans.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/05/74203/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #802 on: May 14, 2009, 10:51:32 AM »
Ty's blog:

‘In the morning we have to dance on “Regis and Kelly”’

Hello troops. Chelsie and I just got to New York.

It actually works out pretty good because Jewel did "Regis and Kelly" this morning and we'll get to meet back up here tonight. I'll be doing press for the next couple days and Jewel will actually be here too, so that's good.

In the morning we have to dance on "Regis and Kelly" and, I think, Chelsie wanted to do the salsa. I guess we'll see what that looks like at 8 o'clock in the morning when I haven't done it in awhile.

Chelsie will have to You Tube it on her iPhone in the morning and I'll watch it so hopefully that'll refresh my memory good enough.

We're also doing some other stuff tomorrow with a bunch of the New York media as well, so we'll be busy doing that for the next two days before we fly back to Los Angeles to get ready for the last show on Tuesday night.

I'll check back in with everyone tomorrow. I appreciate all the nice comments that I got today and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/5/13/In-the-morning-we-have-to-dance-on-Regis-and-Kelly#more

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #803 on: May 14, 2009, 11:07:57 AM »
Carrie Ann's weekly blog:

Carrie Ann Inaba blogs 'DWTS,' week 10

Well, Ty was sent home this week. He was such a joy to watch. Every season, we have someone that touches the hearts of the masses and really reminds us that anything is possible. I love that about our show. Ty Murray was that person this year. We actually had a few people that really brought heartwarming stories to our show -- Steve-O, and Steve W. both pulled on our heartstrings as well. And I have to say that Lil' Kim also really surprised everyone. I still wish she could have been in the final three. Derek does such great choreography that it would have been nice to see their final performances.

But who would they have replaced in the finals? That is something I wouldn't want to address....

We've had good stars this year, all unique and strong but each with very different performance styles. At this point, I think Gilles has the most well-rounded performances. He moves with incredible grace and passion. He finishes his moves with polish and clarity and conviction. That is what earned him his 60 points Monday night. Melissa seemed to be having problems this week with Tony. They were out of sync with each other a bit, and she looked a bit timid out there, both emotionally and physically. This is such a difficult show for the performers -- I don't think the general public knows how hard they all work to do this show and to be as good as they are. We also have Shawn who is the precision queen. Jive was not her best dance but it's over now and she's still in the finals. She is so cute and adorable, and so focused. She is so much younger than the rest of the performers, with so much less life experience so she has to make up the emotional element of the dance with technique and precision.

Gilles and Shawn appeal to different tastes. Melissa is right in the middle. I get frustrated a bit with her because out of all the competitors, she is the most gifted in the physical attributes that would help her in this competition. She's got grace, flexibility, lyricism and athleticism. Sometimes the people who have the most natural tendency to be a great dancer don't have to work as hard and that can hurt them. In my career, I have seen many a dancer who was gifted with incredible natural talent -- but didn't have the work ethic to bring it to the edge with each moment. They didn't have to work that hard to be good and when the others caught up, they easily would pass them by -- no fault of theirs, but it makes it more difficult for them later when the ones who have had to struggle more catch up. Hard work and talent = luck. And only the lucky ones really go far. I'm not saying that Melissa doesn't work hard. Everyone who joins our show works hard. I'm just saying that dancing comes easily for her on many levels, which doesn't allow for her to dig deep.

I also think that Melissa's injury may still be bothering her. I had a hairline fracture in my rib and to this day, it hurts me. It's a strange injury. When I watch her movements, where she holds back and where she seems timid, it seems that her injury may still be hurting her. She is a trooper though because she is not complaining. She continues on.  And I commend her on that...

We had a great performance this week by Julianne, Derek, Mark and Lacey in the Design a Dance. And congratulations to Rebecca Farmer, who designed and created their costumes. It was a high-energy performance and those Design a Dance performances have been consistently good now. And I'm looking forward to next years dance.

Raphael Saadiq performed at the top of the show last night and it was a treat. I had never heard of him before last night but am going to buy his album -- or download it from iTunes today. High energy, great music, a whole lotta fun! I hope he comes back to perform again. I think he's a perfect match to our show. He's a little retro too.

Tomorrow I go and work with one of the contestants for their "Master Class." Usually, it's just Len who goes and helps the performers on their final performance. This year, they have changed the format -- Bruno, Len and I will each be working with the finalists to help them prepare for their last performances. I'm excited and always love being in the studio...so tomorrow's going to be a good day.

Next week we have the finals. I know one thing -- it's going to be a tight race to the finish. They are all dancing in a dance off that features the Paso Doble -- which is one of my favorite dances because it's so dramatic and dynamic. Every one of them did well with their previous Paso performances so I think we are in for a treat.

Thanks for watching and for all your comments.

See you Monday!
-carrie ann

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/05/carrie-ann-in-1.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #804 on: May 14, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Maxim's Annual Hot 100 Party

Lacey Schwimmer

Derek Hough

Melissa Rycroft

www.ineedmyfix.com

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #805 on: May 15, 2009, 10:27:17 AM »
Ty is still blogging....

‘There’s nothing like a 9 a.m. salsa’

Hey troops, Chelsie and I are still in New York City and it's nice that I get to be here with Jewel.

We're on the cover of "TV Guide," which is on newsstands now. I thought it was last week, but it's actually this week. First thing this morning we performed the salsa on "Regis and Kelly." There's nothing like a 9 a.m. salsa to get your day going.

Today we did interviews with the "New York Post" and quite a few different newspapers and magazines. We also did a number of Sirius Satellite radio interviews and tomorrow we're doing the CW, which is the biggest morning news show in New York.

After that we'll be flying back to Los Angeles.

Don't forget they bring all 13 contestants back for the season finale on May 19 and it looks like we're going to be doing the Lindy Hop, so that'll be our last woo-rah and then I will officially be a retired professional dancer.

Anyway, I'll talk to you guys tomorrow.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/5/14/Theres-nothing-like-a-9-am-salsa#more

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #806 on: May 15, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »
Melissa Rycroft: We’re Going to Have Fun on Dancing Finale

While Dancing with the Stars contestant Melissa Rycroft is no stranger to reality show finales, this time around the former Bachelor star plans on having fun!

“[Dancing partner Tony Dovolani and I] are not putting pressure on ourselves, and we’re going to go out and have fun,” she told PEOPLE Thursday at the Maxim Hot 100 Party in Santa Monica. “You want the audience kind of clapping with you, so that’s what were going for.”

Rycroft, 26, will be competing against actor Gilles Marini and Olympian Shawn Johnson for the coveted mirrored-ball trophy in the show’s final competition on Monday.

Waltzing to the finals hasn’t been easy. Last month, the Dallas beauty was sidelined after she injured her ribs and couldn’t perform the jive. But she’ll be physically ready to tackle her two dance routines come Monday’s finale.

“We found a treatment — a numbing patch that I wear during practice,” Rycroft says. “I’m so excited to even be here that I don’t feel it.”

As for what she’ll do after next week’s Dancing finale, Rycroft says, “I’m going on vacation! I’m turning off my cell phone, I’m not turning on the radio or the TV.”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/05/15/melissa-rycroft-were-going-to-have-fun-on-dancing-finale/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #807 on: May 16, 2009, 03:33:03 AM »
From Melissa's twitter and facebook profile status

Here's two pictures taken by her on twitter......

Goofing off during practice:

Two hours later, Melissa elbowed into Tony's eye and here he is icing his eye!   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 06:24:40 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #808 on: May 16, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
Ty & Chelsie on Live with Regis & Kelly

credit with thanks to DWTSSeason8

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #809 on: May 16, 2009, 03:35:58 PM »
A great picture of Melissa & Tye....he's so cute, love his dimples

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #810 on: May 18, 2009, 01:00:42 PM »
'Dancing''s Gilles Marini: 'I Have Two Left Feet'

HTV caught "Dancing with the Stars" standout Gilles Marini out in Hollywood with his wife and daughter and he offers a surprising confession about his dancing!

When asked what moves he'll use to dazzle "Dancing" viewers this week, Gilles gave a tongue-in-cheek answer. "The truth is, I can't really move. I have two left feet and this will never change. The show makes you guys believe I can dance."

When pressed further, Gilles did reveal he's been practicing the pasa doble and promised that his freestyle routine on the show would be "to die for."

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/05/74332/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #811 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »
Ty's latest blog:

‘It sure was fun to see everybody’

We're back in Los Angeles and today we did camera blocking and we got to see everyone because all 13 contestants are back this week.

Everyone is doing different portions from different dances and we'll be doing the Lindy Hop. The camera blocking went good and, like I said, it sure was fun to see everybody.

Jewel got back to L.A. earlier today so we'll have a nice relaxing evening tonight and then we'll go to watch the show tomorrow. It'll be kind of fun to watch it from the audience and see what it's like from there.

Tuesday night we're all on for the finale and I'll check back in with you guys later.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/5/18/It-sure-was-fun-to-see-everybody#more

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #812 on: May 18, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »
What Will It Take to Win Dancing with the Stars?

When viewers tune in Monday night to see the final season 8 performance show, they may find themselves in a quandary as to how to vote. That’s because the showdown between actor Gilles Marini, Olympic champ Shawn Johnson, and reality star Melissa Rycroft is the most evenly-matched in Dancing’s history.

“It’s the fans who are really going to decide,” says season 5 winner Helio Castroneves. The Brazilian race car driver, prepping for Sunday’s Indianapolis 500, tells PEOPLE what viewers have already witnessed: this year’s finalists “can all dance really well.”

On Monday’s one-hour live telecast (at 8 p.m. ET on ABC), the three celebrities and their professional dance partners will dance the paso doble to the same music, as well as perform their respective freestyle routines. Tuesday night all three couples return to the ballroom to perform their favorite dance of the season, which will be scored only by the judges. Then a new Dancing winner will be crowned on the season finale’s live results show.

PEOPLE asked three former winners what it will take for this year’s contestants to take home the coveted mirror-ball trophy. Here’s what they had to say.

Marini, paired with two-time Dancing champ Cheryl Burke, “has this great charm about him that is instantly appealing to the audience,” observes season 6 champ Kristi Yamaguchi. “Gilles’s biggest weakness is getting too excited while dancing and forgetting to pay attention to the technical details of the dances. In order for him to win, Gilles will have to pull out a crowd-pleasing freestyle with the WOW factor.”

Olympic speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno, who captured season 4’s trophy, says pal Johnson “has the technical side of the dances down. Now she’s got to really turn on her personality. She’s got to be animated and bubbly and showcase her goofy side this last week.” In her favor is partner Mark Ballas’s experience — he won in season 6 with Yamaguchi.

And then there’s Rycroft, Dancing’s surprise last-minute contestant. Filling in for injured Access Hollywood host Nancy O’Dell days before the season premiere, Rycroft and partner Tony Dovolani have consistently churned out great performances. But will her dancing background ultimately hurt her in the finals?

“She has habits, she was a ballerina for so long,” Castroneves observes. “She’s very graceful and we know she can dance. She already has the finesse, now she needs to perform to the audience even more.”

So who has the edge? “It could be anybody, really,” Ohno says. “People need to remember to vote for their favorite.”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/05/18/what-will-it-take-to-win-dancing-with-the-stars/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #813 on: May 19, 2009, 04:01:47 AM »
Dancing Score Results

PASO DOBLE

Shawn/Mark        9       9       10       28

Melissa/Tony      10      9       10       29

Gilles/Cheryl       10     10      10       30

FREESTYLE

Shawn/Mark       10    10      10       30

Melissa/Tony       9     9        9        27 

Gilles/Cheryl       9     10       9        28

COMBINED SCORE

Shawn/Mark      58

Melissa/Tony     56               

Gilles/Cheryl      58                                                         
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 04:05:06 AM by RealityFreakWill »

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #814 on: May 19, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
Ty's blog:

‘It was a pretty good sign that I need to be getting out of California’

Hello troops,

The earthquake you might have heard about, the one that happened here in Los Angeles on Sunday, well, Jewel and I actual felt it. We were in our apartment and the whole place started shaking back and forth. That was the first earthquake that I've ever experienced and it was wild.

Jewel and I looked at each and at the exact same time we both said, "Earthquake!"

We were lying on the bed watching TV and started feeling the bed shaking back forth, but then you look around and the whole room is shaking back and forth. That was wild and, to me, it was a pretty good sign that I need to be getting out of California so we have one more dance and I'm outta here.

Jewel and I went to the show tonight and it was fun getting to sit in the audience and watch it as a spectator.

It's amazing how many people come back to watch the show. Emmitt Smith was there, Warren Sapp was there and bunch of other people who were on the show in the past were there tonight.

It was entertaining and it's funny that when you watch them dance back to back like that you really do get a chance to see who you think danced the best.

I thought they were all really close tonight, but I think Shawn Johnson is going to be tough to beat. They'll all be hard to beat, but Shawn brings a large fan base and I think she's doing an amazing job of executing pretty difficult routines.

At this point, they're all close enough that any one of the three could win it. I think they've all worked their butt off and I think they all did a great job and, again, it's going to come down to how America votes.

It'll be interesting to see how all that shakes out.

As for me, Chelsie and I get to do the Lindy Hop the whole way through one last time. And, like I said, it'll be fun to have everybody back for one last show and then there's going to be a big wrap party afterward.

Jewel's birthday is on May 23, but we're going to have an early celebration with some of our friends who live here in Los Angeles so as soon as the show's over we're going to go to dinner and then we'll go to the wrap party.

Well, that's all for tonight. I'll talk to you guys tomorrow and then Wednesday morning it's going to be color me back to Texas.

http://www.pbrnow.com/blog/index.cfm/2009/5/19/It-was-a-pretty-good-sign-that-I-need-to-be-getting-out-of-California#more

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #815 on: May 19, 2009, 11:10:47 AM »
The Pressure Mounts Backstage at 'Dancing with the Stars'

After a season filled with fierce competition, injuries, surprises, and ballroom battles only three couples remain on "Dancing with the Stars." ET's "Dancing" correspondent Maksim Chmerkovskiy brought special gifts for the remaining contestants and got all the dish from the finalists.

Tony Dovolani and Melissa Rycroft tell ET that after an emotionally and physically challenging season Monday night was all about having fun on the dance floor.

"It is absolutely amazing and that's why we could have fun today," Melissa says. "We said 'we have nothing to lose. The worst thing that happens is we get third place so let's go out and enjoy the fact that we have one more time to dance together and get this crowd going,' and that's what we did."

Gilles Marini reveals that despite the pressure of the finals his strategy on Monday night was to stick with his partner, Cheryl Burke who has supported him throughout the competition.

"Today I tried to release all the stress," Gilles says. "Cheryl told me, 'stay with me.' I just stayed with her and we had a blast."

Watch the video to find out who has inspired the celebrity contestants besides their professional partners -- and find out who will take home the mirror ball trophy on the "Dancing with the Stars" finale Tuesday night at 8 p.m. on ABC.

http://www.etonline.com/news/2009/05/74366/index.html

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #816 on: May 19, 2009, 12:03:41 PM »
Monday’s Dancing: What You Didn’t See

The Jitters Bug: Before Monday’s show there was a sense of tension in the air. “It’s weird, tonight is one of the last times I’m going to get to dance with Tony,” Melissa Rycroft said. “It’s very bittersweet. But we didn’t focus on that. Instead we said it’s the finals, it’s fun. We fed off of all the energy backstage and all of the energy from the audience.” Cheryl Burke found comfort in her old friend and former partner Emmitt Smith. “It was so nice to see him here,” Burke said. “It’s been so many years. He was like, ‘Cheryl, go out there and good luck. You’re nervous’ — he always knows I get nervous, so he calmed me down a little bit.” And minutes before show time Shawn Johnson and Mark Ballas bowed their heads in a prayer of thanks. “We know how great it is to be here and have the honor to perform in front of millions of people every Monday and Tuesday,” Ballas said. “We’re very grateful.”

To Catch a Thief: Bruno Tonioli likened Shawn Johnson’s aggression and “killer instinct” during the paso doble to that of TV serial killer Dexter. But a more appropriate label would be that of a thief, because the 17-year-old Olympic champ and Mark Ballas stole the night. And it was their energetic, no-holds-barred freestyle — with sequined masks and, yes, jazz hands — that sealed the deal. Though both Marissa Jaret Winokur and Jane Seymour pledged allegiance to their former DWTS partner Tony Dovolani, neither could deny that Johnson was the night’s big winner. “I think Shawn was the best dancer out of all three,” Winokur told PEOPLE. “I agree,” Seymour said. “Shawn was a huge surprise. I don’t think Gilles did near as much as either women, but then that’s always the case with the men.” Judge Bruno Tonioli exclaimed, “Shawn’s freestyle was IT! The others didn’t quite get it together as well.” Still, Tonioli said, “It’s going to be a close call for a winner.”

Bruno’s New Suit: During Monday’s show, the judges took part in a segment where they were tasked with training the three remaining couples. Len Goodman called Carrie Ann Inaba, who was having lunch, and then he called Bruno, who was wearing a Speedo and sunning himself by a pool. The crowd went wild — and so did the dancers! “Oh man! Bruno in a Speedo — he was tan and he looked good,” Gilles Marini gushed. “Congrats, Bruno. You look awesome!” Maksim Chmerkovskiy teased Tonioli after the show, “That’s an amazing Speedo you have. You are nicely shined and buff.” All of the compliments went, you guessed it, right to Tonioli’s head. “I decided next season I’m going to do the whole season in Speedos,” Tonioli said. “I’m going to get even tighter, more tan.”

A Dancing Who’s Who: Commercial breaks at Monday night’s show were a veritable schmooze fest among former contestants like High School Musical’s Monique Coleman, who chatted up Vivica A. Fox and Marissa Jaret Winokur, whom she said was “her new best friend.” Warren Sapp caught up with fellow NFL pal Emmitt Smith and season 7 champ Brooke Burke, while Tia Carrere talked with Leeza Gibbons and Jane Seymour. All of the famous faces in the house were a little bit intimidating to Melissa Rycroft, especially former Dallas Cowboys Smith and his wife Patricia, who were sitting in the front row just a few seats away from her parents. “I was bowing,” Rycroft said. “Oh my gosh! I literally bowed and I said ‘Mr. Emmitt.’ I love him. He is a major hero from where I’m from.”

Papa’s Boy: Before his freestyle dance Gilles Marini trotted over to the front row where his wife, Carole, and son, Georges, were sitting. Marini talked closely with Georges for a moment before taking his place on the dance floor. “My baby was in the audience,” Marini said of his 10-year-old son. “I could not let him down.” What was their father-son pre-performance chat all about? “I told him I love you and I told him I’m going to make you proud,” Marini said. “I have given him so much more game in school!”

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/05/19/mondays-dancing-what-you-didnt-see-27/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #817 on: May 20, 2009, 03:41:51 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS

SHAWN JOHNSON & MARK BALLAS

DANCING WITH THE STARS SEASON EIGHT

CHAMPIONS

SECOND PLACE

GILLES MARINI & CHERYL BURKE

THIRD PLACE

MELISSA RYCROFT & TONY DOVOLANI

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #818 on: May 20, 2009, 09:52:46 AM »
Dancing with the Stars Episode Recap: Tuesday, May 19, 2009

And the Season 8 Dancing with the Stars winner is... not so fast. Before a new champion is crowned, Dancing takes a trip down memory lane, names a new pro for next season, roasts the room and scores the finalists on one last dance. Who took home the glittery Mirrorball and who came up just a tad short? Find out below!

We're finally here, and it is tight as ever. I don't know about you, but I have no idea who will win. I think Melissa will come in third, but I've been vacillating between Shawn and Mark for the win. Thank God I have Lady Gaga's one-legged pleather bodysuit to take my mind off of it for a hot (mess of) a second. And you thought Dancing's costumes were heinous. This has to be a crime somewhere. I also can't listen to "Just Dance" anymore without thinking of, no, not Justin Timberlake, but Michael Scott's "It's Britney, bitch."

I've made no secret of my contempt of show-filler, but — full disclosure — I like nostalgic filler (don't judge me), like the season retrospective and dance reprisals from all the eliminated contestants — even if this means we won't get to the actual competition or the contestants for another hour or so. I don't blame you if don't watch this part, but this is better than half the stuff they have on their normal results shows. The package reminds us that Belinda Carlisle was once in this competition. Doesn't that seem like years ago? No offense, B! She and Jonathan Roberts redo their salsa, while couples Denise Richards and Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Holly Madison and Dmitry Chaplin follow, with their quickstep and samba, respectively. Exuberant as always, Denise describes her limited experience as fun, Belinda remembers the nausea and hysteria, while Holly thanks her "personal trainer" Dmitry for getting her in shape for Peepshow (a haven for female Dancing alums, apparently). That nicely segues into the most jaw-dropping news of the night: Tom's shameless plug of Samantha's Broadway gig this summer as Roxie Hart in Chicago. Say whaa?! If Sam can't even read cue cards, how is she going to memorize lines and lyrics?

Speaking of the inability to perform, Steve Wozniak and Karina Smirnoff get a solo reprisal segment for their quickstep. At Tom's request (and Karina's dare), Woz attempts to do the worm. Horribly. I'd feel embarrassed for him, if I cared that much. A bald David Alan Grier follows with his lovely Viennese Waltz for about two seconds, when it ended before it even began. What a nice slap in the face. Steve-O follows with his foxtrot, or as he told me, his foxtrot redemption. As you recall (no pun intended), he forgot his steps the first time around.

Pick a Pro: Anna Demidova vs. Mayo Alanen
And the coveted spot goes to... Anna! As if there were any doubt. They totally threw Mayo under the bus last week. He looks like he's going to cry. I'd give him my shoulder, but he'd have to bend down about nine inches. Anna and Maks reprise their quickstep, with apparently the same boa Woz and Karina used before. All in the family, right, Maks?

Lawrence Taylor continues to bring on the awkwardness by dropping the words "lap dance" after his jive redux (with Edyta Sliwinska's hot pink legwarmers. It's '80s week, remember?). Family show, LT! Family show! Chuck Wicks and Julianne Hough do their samba. It's understandable since that was his breakout, but I kind of wanted them to slip on the black lace again. Which is the lesser of two evils? Chuck in red satin or black lace? Lil' Kim, predicatbly, does her Jailhouse Rock-in jive, while Ty got physical again with the Lindy Hop.

Roast
Just shy of the end of the first hour, we finally get to see Shawn, Gilles and Melissa... so they can get roasted by Jeffrey Ross. I'd much prefer another edition of DanceCenter, with Ty, of course, rather than Jeff, but such is life. He tries way too hard, but he had some zingers: Belinda looks like a hooker from Battlestar Galactica; Gilles didn't have the biggest role in Sex and the City — but had the largest part (The latter is full of win only because of Shawn's look of utter confusion). And then there were the bombs: Ty came out of Brokeback Mambo; Woz took a bite out of the Apple logo; he wants to marry Melissa (Wow, who hasn't heard that one before?). What does it say about your comedic skills when a French stud one-ups you later with, "Melissa, you take this rose. I'll take the trophy"?

REPEAT DANCES
Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas: Cha-Cha
I have to give props to Shawn for choosing a dance she didn't get a perfect 30 on originally, unlike Gilles' and Melissa's choices. She did a killer cha-cha last time and she's totally capable of getting the 30 here, which, let's face it, they're going to get. She definitely looks more comfortable and has injected it with more personality, as she said she would. Shawn's technical precision's always been there, so it's nice to see the character come together, too. Her hips also look sharper and looser. Len thinks she aced the performance aspect. Bruno calls it sassy and loves the technique. Carrie Ann thinks they all underestimated her, but notes her upward trajectory from the past three weeks.
Score: 30

Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani: Samba
Keep an eye out for boob poppage! The only plus for Melissa doing the samba again is the fact that she has her little solo at the beginning, which, for some reason, seems way shorter this time around. This dance is made for Melissa the party girl. She's perfected the samba rolls and has the shimmying down pat. She's getting another 30. Bruno calls it even more appetizing and drools over her body. (Is he imagining her wardrobe malfunction?) Carrie Ann thinks she embodies dancing and Len calls the samba fantastic.

Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke: Argentine Tango
The good thing about Gilles choosing the AT is that it was from way back in Week 4, so it's not as fresh in our minds as Melissa's samba. It was also the source of his first 30, so this is supposed to be a perfect coda, I suppose. It's dramatic, passionate and completely commanding. It almost erases the underwhelming dreck that was their freestyle. Almost. Carrie Ann says he brings amazing artistry to the floor. Len has enjoyed watching him the most and says Gilles has brought him back 50 years back in time. Is this Lost? Bruno calls it an Argentine Triumph. By the by, didn't Gilles' and Cheryl's backstage odes to each other sound like wedding vows?

Third Place
Melissa & Tony

Maybe people were watching The Bachelorette instead of voting Monday night? In all seriousness, this wasn't that surprising, especially after their freestyle break-tastrophe. The biggest question mark for Melissa was always her fan base, and when push came to shove, Bachelor sympathy can't match up with Olympic fever and Sex-iness. Still, it's a great showing for a last-minute replacement, even if they never showed her tramp stamp. But we'll always have those jeans.

Less than one percent separated first and second, Tom and Sam tell us. That's the closest margin in Dancing history. And now, after one hour and 57 minutes of fluff, the Dancing with the Stars Season 8 winners are... Shawn and Mark!

Shawn's screaming. Mark is having a conniption. An upset? A little. Gilles has been the most consistent all season, but two factors may have made the difference: Shawn's built-in fan base and her awesome freestyle. Always the gentleman, Gilles congratulates them both and gives a shout-out to his family and Cheryl. The third pro trophy will have to wait, Cheryl, but things do come in threes — for Olympians. Shawn's the third Olympic gold medalist to win the Mirrorball and keeps the Olympic champs' winning streak in the finals intact.

What did you think? Did Shawn deserve the win? Or was Gilles robbed of a proper punctuation for a consistent season? Did this turn into a battle of the fan bases? Will Olympic champions ever lose in the finals? Will Cheryl (or Julianne or newly minted two-time champ Mark) ever win the elusive third Mirrorball? Was Jeffrey Ross' roast funny or lame? Who should Anna be paired with next season? Will you go see Samantha on Broadway this summer? And how can we get Ty on DanceCenter next season? Float your ideas below. That's all for now, folks — for this season, anyway. Thanks for dropping by. Keep on dancin!

http://www.tvguide.com/Episode-Recaps/dancing-stars/Dancing-Stars-Episode-1006194.aspx

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #819 on: May 20, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
Shawn/Mark, Gilles/Cheryl & Melissa/Tony on Good Morning America

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3

credit to edwintv25

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #820 on: May 20, 2009, 10:57:34 AM »
Shawn & Mark on Live with Regis and Kelly

credit to edwintv25

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #821 on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:19 PM »
I noted with dismay the three perfect 30s awarded last night. There is no differentiation when all stars are rated "perfect" even when they are not. On Monday night there was such differentiation and her 30 when others did not get that probably helped Shawn to narrowly win the audience vote. As long as the judges award finalists with 30s, the solution would be to allow scores higher than 10 for the finals only.

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #822 on: May 20, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
Tuesday’s Dancing Finale: What You Didn’t See

Proud Parents: While gold confetti fell from above the ballroom floor, Shirley Ballas and Teri Johnson looked on, their eyes brimming with tears as their babies — Mark Ballas and Shawn Johnson — were crowned season 8 champs. “Oh my gosh! I’m so thrilled and surprised,” Johnson’s mom told PEOPLE, adding, “She does well under pressure.” Though this was the second DWTS trophy for Ballas, his mom Shirley, a ballroom pro herself, was also in shock. “I thought Gilles (Marini) and Cheryl (Burke) had it in the bag,” she said. “The difference I saw in Shawn was a shy 17-year-old girl who turned into a woman. She gained momentum, she knew it was close and she knew what she had to do. She peaked at the right moment, didn’t she?”

The Agony of Defeat: Mere steps away from the mini huddle gathered around Johnson and Ballas was runner-up Gilles Marini consoling his son, Georges. The 10-year-old, who watched his father perform on Monday and Tuesday, sobbed as Marini held him in his arms and told him over and over “it’s alright, it’s alright.” Marini said his son’s disappointment was “pretty intense. He’s taking it badly. He’s a 10-year-old, and he wanted to put the trophy on the shelf in (his sister) Juliana’s room.” Despite not winning, Marini says the evening’s outcome was “a win-win situation.” The show introduced him to the American public, and even better, “I got to meet Cheryl,” Marini said. “If not for her, I would have been gone the first week.”

Broadway Bound: Tom Bergeron proudly announced another big news Tuesday’s night: his co-host Samantha Harris will be starring as Roxie Hart in Chicago on Broadway this summer. “I’m so beyond ecstatic, over-the-moon for getting my first Broadway role,” said an exuberant Harris. Looking elegant in a vintage gown and an array of Kwiat jewels, Harris couldn’t help but gush about her summer gig, which kicks off in July. “This is a dream come true. Being on the stage in front of thousands of people with the lights hitting you, that is where I come alive,” said Harris, who’s known more for her Dancing and Insider hosting duties than performing. But Harris is no stranger to the stage. “I grew up in a musical family,” she revealed. “My parents were in West Side Story when they were in high school in Minneapolis.”

Gimme a Break: With no summer Dancing tour this season, the stars and pros are planning a variety of other gigs. Cheryl Burke plans to vacation, while fellow pro Edyta Sliwinska will hit the books in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree in journalism at UCLA. After back-to-back reality show stints, Melissa Rycroft tells PEOPLE she only has one thing on her mind for the immediate future: “I’m excited to go back home.” As for her partner Tony Dovolani, he’ll be hitting the gym hard. Dovolani has signed on to appear as a bodybuilder in an independent movie, Pumping Up, and has his work cut out: “I have to gain 15 pounds of muscle,” he said. Lil’ Kim will also be hard at work. Her plans include writing a book, working on a new album and a Las Vegas show, which will feature singing and dancing with some Cirque du Soleil-style artistry. And it’s back to the Texas ranch for Ty Murray, who has “500 head of cattle. We have a lot of work to do.” While Murray has hung up his dancing shoes for good, wife Jewel, who withdrew before the season began due to injury, is (half-heartedly) thinking about putting hers back on. When the injury first occurred, Jewel vowed to return to Dancing once healed, but now says: “I’ve seen how tired Ty is after rehearsing. He comes home and he is beat. I’m not sure I want to work that hard.”

You Bet: There was more than bragging rights and a mirror-ball trophy at stake Tuesday night. Murray and his former dance partner Chelsie Hightower had a little wager riding on the night’s winner. Hightower’s money was on Gilles Marini, while Murray’s pick was Shawn Johnson. “It didn’t have anything to do with their dancing, but how was America going to vote,” explained Murray, who became a fan favorite due to his determination and sense of humor. “I can’t make a living from my dancing so I have to make my money elsewhere.” Speaking of wagers, Mark Ballas will soon be collecting a $100 from Bachelor host Chris Harrison, who bet Ballas that Melissa Rycroft would finish ahead of Shawn Johnson this season. Doesn’t Harrison know that Olympic athletes have a proven track record on DWTS? Johnson is the third Olympian to win Dancing, following in the fancy footsteps of speed skater Apolo Anton Ohno and ice skater Kristi Yamaguchi.

http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/05/20/tuesdays-dancing-finale-what-you-didnt-see-3/

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #823 on: May 20, 2009, 01:39:03 PM »
Melissa & Tye in NYC...posted on her twitter

p.s. the top 3 were on GMA this morning, Melissa/Tony & Gilles/Cheryl will be on Live with Regis and Kelly tomorrow morning

Offline RealityFreakWill

• RFF Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
    • Facebook
« Reply #824 on: May 22, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »
Shawn & Mark on Jimmy Kimmel Live

credit to DWTSSeason8