Author Topic: EP11: 12/7 "You Look Like Peter Pan"  (Read 119357 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP11: 12/7 "You Look Like Peter Pan"
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »
I think we have enough proof on Thunder Island DrRox

too add whats already been discussed  :lol: , you can actually see the old locks through the screen.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #151 on: December 02, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
hee. Yes DrRox The photo below with Ken and Tina is definitely on the bigger half of Thunder Island however the photo I got has a house on the right much like puddin's one in her post before. This now leads me to believe that the whole Island will be having clueboxes on it!  :hearts:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 01:03:23 PM by Kiwi Jay »
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #152 on: December 02, 2008, 01:14:59 PM »
I think the house is right across the channel from the K&T shot

Here is a GE tilted view that gives a match to the mountain line.

We got the spot for sure.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #153 on: December 02, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
I posted that but I havent got enough attachment size!  :duno: Yes I noticed from the 2005 shot that I gave you
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #154 on: December 02, 2008, 01:21:57 PM »
Next on The Amazing Race:
You Look Like Peter Pan
*Racers are challenged with a course used to confront fears in Oregon’s most dangerous business: logging.

*One racer helplessly watches from the ground as their teammate struggles with a fear of heights up above.

*Teams ride a 2,000 foot zip line across the Columbia River.

*Racers compete neck and neck in a nail-biting competition that tests their memory of events from the entire race.

*Teams beg Portland locals to help them find the place where "the magic is in the hole."

*After a race of nearly 40,000 miles across five continents, one of three final teams will cross the finish line first to be declared winners of THE AMAZING RACE and take home 1 MILLION DOLLARS.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #155 on: December 02, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »

*Racers are challenged with a course used to confront fears in Oregon’s most dangerous business: logging. The Canopy/tree climb

*One racer helplessly watches from the ground as their teammate struggles with a fear of heights up above. Tina!

*Teams ride a 2,000 foot zip line across the Columbia River. DUH

*Racers compete neck and neck in a nail-biting competition that tests their memory of events from the entire race. Cluebox's Thunder Island

*Teams beg Portland locals to help them find the place where "the magic is in the hole." Voodoo doughnuts!

*After a race of nearly 40,000 miles across five continents, one of three final teams will cross the finish line first to be declared winners of THE AMAZING RACE and take home 1 MILLION DOLLARS.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #156 on: December 02, 2008, 01:25:05 PM »
Nice tilt shot Chateau! and good job Kiwi!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #157 on: December 02, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
"The magic is in the hole"

Ha!  it's right in the middle of their logo!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #158 on: December 02, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »

*Racers are challenged with a course used to confront fears in Oregon’s most dangerous business: logging. The Canopy/tree climb

*One racer helplessly watches from the ground as their teammate struggles with a fear of heights up above. Tina!

*Teams ride a 2,000 foot zip line across the Columbia River. DUH

*Racers compete neck and neck in a nail-biting competition that tests their memory of events from the entire race. Cluebox's Thunder Island

*Teams beg Portland locals to help them find the place where "the magic is in the hole." Voodoo doughnuts!

Do we have a Roadblock yet? :hides

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2008, 01:39:07 PM »
"The magic is in the hole"

Ha!  it's right in the middle of their logo!

And they have 2 locations.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
I don't see a roadblock or think they have time for one, but thats just me.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #161 on: December 02, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
Well it seems like to me that the "line of march" is:

1)Portland International to Newberg.......Mapquest says this is 52 minutes at 36 miles.

2) Newberg to Cascade Locks.......Mapquest says this is 79 minutes at 67 miles.

3) Cascade Locks to Voodoo Donuts.....Mapquest says this is 48 minutes at 43 miles.

4) Voodoo Donuts to Pittcock Mansion......Mapquest says 9 minutes at 3 miles.

That is 3 hours just in driving time.Newberg does not look good for the tree climbing. Its all cultivated in grapes. I suppose the tree climbing is between Newberg and Cascade Locks. There are so many places of old growth trees to be able to do that. Just north of the Pittcock Mansion is Mcleay Park and the Autobon Society and from the pics, lots and lots of old growth trees. But I think some place along the line of the drive from Newberg to the Zip line. They arrive around noon......three hours driving time and one hour to do tasks puts them at Finish Line at 4 PM which is what Chateau has estimated.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:39:47 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline woden

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #162 on: December 02, 2008, 02:24:52 PM »
eating roadblock at voodoo? wouldn't take long...

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #163 on: December 02, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

Terrance lucked out that he does not have to eat the maple & bacon doughnut.

For me -- Post #300!!!!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #164 on: December 02, 2008, 03:02:15 PM »
Well it seems like to me that the "line of march" is:

1)Portland International to Newberg.......Mapquest says this is 52 minutes at 36 miles.

2) Newberg to Cascade Locks.......Mapquest says this is 79 minutes at 67 miles.

3) Cascade Locks to Voodoo Donuts.....Mapquest says this is 48 minutes at 43 miles.

4) Voodoo Donuts to Pittcock Mansion......Mapquest says 9 minutes at 3 miles.

That is 3 hours just in driving time.Newberg does not look good for the tree climbing. Its all cultivated in grapes. I suppose the tree climbing is between Newberg and Cascade Locks. There are so many places of old growth trees to be able to do that. Just north of the Pittcock Mansion is Mcleay Park and the Autobon Society and from the pics, lots and lots of old growth trees. But I think some place along the line of the drive from Newberg to the Zip line. They arrive around noon......three hours driving time and one hour to do tasks puts them at Finish Line at 4 PM which is what Chateau has estimated.

I can't find anything that looks like our trees in Newberg either, so it might be outer Newberg like you said.

LOL! Lot's of Voodoo sightings here

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #165 on: December 02, 2008, 03:08:57 PM »
The "memory tests" from past Amazing Races (the two most prominent were AR8 and AR9 in my opinion) typically take a long time. These tests tuypically are the decisive task in finales.

One hour for this list of tasks not including a Roadblock is quite insufficient compared to what I expect the total should be.

I think the edge has to go to Nick/Starr on a memory test(which is usually a Roadblock). They are preparing for the finale by rereading their diary of the entire AR13. Andrew/Dan are smart but they don't appear to have good memories. I have no idea how good Ken/Tina will be. She seems like the better of their team to do this.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #166 on: December 02, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
Newberg is a town south and west of Portland. In the middle of wine country. I believe it was discussed early on. There's really nothing else that would apply to.

Nothing in the previews seems to indicate they really went there. The shots in the woods, the bridge, etc. are all in the Gorge.

I agree with Enrico V. I have no reason to believe that finalists went to Newberg. It was probably a decoy team that was sent there. Newberg is just too far from Casade Locks and even from downtown Portland. There would be little reason for finalists to go there.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
Newberg is a town south and west of Portland. In the middle of wine country. I believe it was discussed early on. There's really nothing else that would apply to.

Nothing in the previews seems to indicate they really went there. The shots in the woods, the bridge, etc. are all in the Gorge.

I agree with Enrico V. I have no reason to believe that finalists went to Newberg. It was probably a decoy team that was sent there. Newberg is just too far from Casade Locks and even from downtown Portland. There would be little reason for finalists to go there.

Then I must be hearing things because I swear I hear Andrew give instructions to his driver and the driver repeats it! Can anyone else hear Andrew and the driver or am I totally bonkers?

I hate repeating myself ..:badhorse:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2008, 04:32:52 PM »
puddin, yes, they do say that at 0:41 into the Preview. I did not watch this prview as I had watched what I thought was the lower quality version of it Sunday night.

There is nothing in Newberg, this town of about 20,000 inhabitants that appears special, although the Willamette River does flow through it. You have already noted beautiful state park Champoeg State Heritage Area, which is seven miles southeast of Newberg. Rich in history, Champoeg also offers nature and recreation at its finest. The park provides camping with all the amenities, picnic sites, open fields, an amphitheater, and bike and hiking trails along the Willamette River. Champoeg's past is preserved in several buildings and historical sites.

Newberg is situated in a natural bowl between the mountains and the Willamette River. It is conceivable that tree climbing arrangements could have been made somewhere in those mountains.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:51:53 PM by apskip »

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
The "memory tests" from past Amazing Races (the two most prominent were AR8 and AR9 in my opinion) typically take a long time. These tests tuypically are the decisive task in finales.

One hour for this list of tasks not including a Roadblock is quite insufficient compared to what I expect the total should be.

I think the edge has to go to Nick/Starr on a memory test(which is usually a Roadblock). They are preparing for the finale by rereading their diary of the entire AR13. Andrew/Dan are smart but they don't appear to have good memories. I have no idea how good Ken/Tina will be. She seems like the better of their team to do this.

I agree -- Nick & Starr would have the advantage with a memory test.  Similarly, I'd have a big advantage on memory tests -- I have a great memory.

Belle Book

P.S.  I'm going to leave for Walt Disney World tomorrow, so I probably won't be online until Sunday, when I return home.

Offline walkingguide

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2008, 06:13:59 PM »
I'm a longtime walker/hiker in the Portland area, Columbia Gorge, Newberg (lived 8 miles from Newberg until last December).

I also find the timeline to be a problem.  I'd never consider getting from PDX to Newberg to Cascade Locks and back to Portland in 5 hours.  But, it's a raaaaaaccccce!  At least a noon arrival at PDX means they won't hit traffic.

Champoeg State Park is just across the Willamette River from Newberg, via a bridge.  They have lots of tall trees there.  I used the forested path from Butteville into the park as my main marathon walk training route for over five years.  Yep, those could be the trees.  I know them intimately.   Also, there are still plenty of big trees just outside of Newberg on the hills.  I've done walks the past 2 years that started at a winery and went through forest on the vineyard grounds.  We are not deforested completely around Newberg.  (FWIW, I wouldn't drive through Newberg to get to Champoeg, I'd stay on I-5 and cut over through Butteville, much faster, but I'm a local).  Actually, Champoeg has an address in "St. Paul" rather than Newberg, so the climbing might be on private land owned by a farmer or in the hills around Newberg.

Cascade Locks:  the Columbia River around Cascade Locks is NOT A LAKE.  Yes, it is an impoundment behind gigantic Bonneville Dam, but there is a current around Thunder Island and can be a lot of chop and waves in the water when the wind is blowing.  And the wind blows 99% of the time, HARD.  Cascade Locks is a very windy place, and this area is frequented by sailboarder and windsurfers as a mecca.  There can often be whitecaps on the river from the wind chop around Thunder Island.

I can't see the clips yet to comment on Columbia River vs. Willamette River.  The Willamette River at Champoeg isn't very swift and it's far, far, far narrower than the Columbia at Cascade Locks.  May is the high run-off season, so either river would be high.  Bonneville Dam would be spilling the excess, so there would be a good current at Cascade Locks.

I've strolled around Thunder Island on volksmarch walks at least six times, I know it well.  Lots of geese doo-doo.  It is a popular wedding venue, although you definitely risk losing any hats or veils.  Last June when I went over the little bridge onto the island, I had my hat secured around my wrist and it still blew away and I had to chase it.

Bridge of the Gods is a very scary bridge.  We had one volksmarch that crossed it.  It is open steel grating underfoot for most of its length.  Total vertigo experience.  It is a looooooooooonnnnnnnggggg way from Bridge of the Gods to Thunder Island, so I definitely believe the 2000-ft zip line!  The Pacific Crest Trail crosses the bridge and those who are using pack animals have to blindfold their horses to lead them across.  I don't know if they do any other physical tasks, but the trails up from Bridge of the Gods are gorgeous but steep, a real hike.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2008, 06:23:29 PM »
Bless you walkingguide, always great to hear from someone thats been there done that, welcome to the forum :hithere:
I've been searching the Newberg area for the tall timbers, I thought Champoeg State Park being a heritage area and all, tourists photos would be easy to find but that's not the case  :lol:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
so the first half of the zipline part of this coming leg could well be at "champoeg national park"?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 09:04:10 PM by Kiwi Jay »

Offline walkingguide

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2008, 09:25:08 PM »
That tree-climbing trapeze thing could be in Champoeg, or it could be somewhere else in the Newberg area.  But to tell you the truth, we have trees all over the place here in NW Oregon that look like that, that's how they grow, so it could be anywhere.  It's only because a cabbie told somebody they went to Newberg that I'd say it wasn't somewhere else.  It could easily be the dirt trail and path in Champoeg, or any logging road anywhere in NW Oregon/SW Washington.

I've reviewed the preview video and I think all of the clueboxes shown are on Thunder Island near Bridge of the Gods.  Champoeg doesn't quite look like that (in areas with grass, they mostly have oak trees, it's only in the areas without grass they have the tall Douglas Fir), but Thunder Island does 100%  I'm extremely confident now that the river you see behind the sibs is the Columbia River.  Definitely it looks like Thunder Island.  I've circled that puppy many times.

The zip line from the bridge goes to Thunder Island, according to the reports.

Offline FLFan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2008, 09:30:03 PM »
Not sure how many actual hours of travel time from Moscow to Portland (including the airport layover), but it certainly has to be a fairly long trip.

It may be my imagination, but doesn't Ken look pale and possibly very tired in some of the promos?  Pale and dark circles / bags under his eyes?  It is not that he is a bit unshaven, he just looks flat tired, worn out.

Dan and Andrew look reasonably refreshed, especially during what is possibly the first taxi cab ride.  Looks like Dan and especially Andrew got lots of rest on the plane or they didn't have to get out of bed as early as the other 2.

Nick and Starr look in fairly good shape also.  So may be they were able to sleep on the plane or youth beats age.