Author Topic: EP11: 12/7 "You Look Like Peter Pan"  (Read 119363 times)

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP11: 12/7 "You Look Like Peter Pan"
« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2008, 01:44:27 AM »
Puddin, where do you have a hunch Ken and Tina are. Not Cascade Locks?
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2008, 01:49:22 AM »
Puddin, where do you have a hunch Ken and Tina are. Not Cascade Locks?
Nearby, see they are still wearing those mics around their necks that they wear near water, I think I remember thats what they are for?

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2008, 01:50:11 AM »
I am looking around Oregon at the moment lol!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2008, 01:50:54 AM »
Nice puddin! Is this any use?

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2008, 01:59:54 AM »
Dandrew ask their taxi driver to transport them to the Bridge of the Gods which is by the Cascade Locks. What are those mountains called. I am just looking.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2008, 02:01:32 AM »
Cascade Locks Marine Park more views:

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2008, 02:04:55 AM »
kE/TI are seen walking across the bridge of the gods. I think they are dropped off at the Bridge of the Gods. They zipline across to the Cascade Locks and then the second zipline comes into it somewhere later!

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2008, 02:05:41 AM »
You guys are good!   :jam:

That clue box task takes place on Thunder Island.

They must take the flying wire from the bridge down to Thunder Island
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 02:09:51 AM by Chateau d If »
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2008, 02:11:46 AM »
Coming here to say that!  :wohoo: i HAVE A PIC Coming soon!!

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2008, 02:14:02 AM »
Here we go! there is a great view it is from the Bridge! !  :jam:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2008, 02:17:33 AM »
and lo and behold the trees all match! including the small red one in the 2005 photo. It is bigger but my bet is that the clues are scattered around the bigger part the far part from the photo I posted!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:17 AM »
You guys are good!   :jam:

That clue box task takes place on Thunder Island.

They must take the flying wire from the bridge down to Thunder Island
Yippee Chateau! And good job with the pictures peach and Kiwi  :jam:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2008, 02:20:54 AM »
At this point, Nick and Star are ahead by a couple degrees of solar arc (10 min or so)
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:59 AM »
Newbergs. Need to go take a look

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2008, 02:28:23 AM »
great chateau. Anyone any idea were Dandrew are when they say to their cabbie "bridge of the gods"?!
I'll guess leaving the Detour, where we aren't quite sure, but might be the Newberg area, hey its only Monday or (Tuesday,lol) look at all the goodies we have! :yess:

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:35 AM »
I know!  :hearts: Chateau you rock! Peach you rock! but you most of all. I am hoping for more previews to come up so we can look for some more places!

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2008, 02:37:41 AM »
anyone know where this is?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2008, 04:13:50 AM »
Well, I hate to put a kink in everyone's joy, but I do not believe that the Cluebox task is on Thunder Island. If you will look at Kiwi's beautiful pic of Thunder Island, you will notice that Thunder Island is surrounded by lake water.....calm still lake water.

Now if you will look at the following 3 photos, you will see in the background on the left, through the trees, what I believe is white water. This is indicative of rapids. Also the foliage is much less manicured than Thunder Island.

This photo really shows the boulders in the stream creating the rapids. It seems to me that the stream is flowing toward the camera. It is a little hard to tell in N/S photos. They are pretty flat, a but different camera angle in the K/T photo shows the direction of flow. It could possibly be an island in a smaller stream. The water behind Ken seems to maybe be diverting to the right. But it is much smaller stream than either the Colombia River or Lake Bonneville.

So my conclusion is, that it is either a steam flowing downstream either west or north. Mt Hood is just to the south and east of Cascade Locks, so all water flows west and north in this area. Maybe some of the Portland people can lock down just where this might be. I am assuming this is southeast of Portland. If it is southwest of Portland, ie, in the Newberg area, then the directions of the water would be reversed. The water would be flowing either east or north toward Portland.

It could be on private property, but I would guess one of those smaller parks with a stream running through it.

I first thought this was the brainteaser just before the Finish Line, but now I believe it is just a find a clue task. All those clueboxes and just three of them have a clue in it.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 04:27:42 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2008, 07:45:26 AM »
There is the Willamette River quite near to Newberg, but I personally do not believe there was time to go to Cascade Locks and anywhere near Newberg.

However, Dr. Rox, I do not find your analysis totally convincing. It was a calm day when the reference picture of the Columbia River and Thunder Island was taken, so the camera would not reveal anything turbulent. If weather conditions were such that it was high winds, which I know to occasionally happen in northern Oregon, then turbulent water conditions would happen. Wind speed varies widely in the Portland area. I have tried to get something to approximate the conditions on the water when the prevailing wind direction was from the southwest. I chose Mt. Scott, which has probably the second highest average winds in the Portland metro area. Here is the wind table from the Weather Underground for May 14, 2008:

Wind Speed: Max. 15.0mph / 24.1km/h SW  Average 4.9mph / 7.8km/h NW 
Wind Gust:  Max. 15.0mph / 24.1km/h 

Those winds could have created major tubulence for the small stretch of river between Thunder Island and the mainland.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 12:56:14 PM by apskip »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2008, 08:56:17 AM »
I have been researching other tree climbing companies besides those I mentioned in a prior post #1121 at 10:20pm last night. Here they are:

Tree Climbing Northwest
Driving from the airport to the climbing site is about 23 miles and takes about 35 minutes.
20451 S Central Point Road
Oregon City, OR 97045

This one is close to Portland and a top choice for where the tree climbing took place along with the next 3 below:

Portland Parks and Recreation (Permitted by the USFS for guiding on Mt. Hood)
503-823-5132

Timberline Mountain Guides (Permitted by the USFS for guiding on Mt. Hood)
541-312-9242

NW School of Survival (Permitted by the USFS for guiding on Mt. Hood)
503-668-8264

Mt. Hood's lower slopes would be fine for AR13's purpose and are geographically close to Portland.

Oregon Peak Adventures (Mt. Adams and St. Helens climbs, rock/snow climbing instruction, adventure travel and more)
503-297-5100

First Ascent Climbing Services (rock climbing instruction, Smith Rock and Joshua Tree)
800-325-5462

However, the last two above are out because Mt. Adams is over an hour away in Washington State, Mt. Saint Helens is also an hour away, Smith Rock is in the middle of Oregon hours away, and Joshua Tree is a national park in California.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »
I think this is the wooden ladder.

Looking toward the bridge.

Looking away from the bridge.

It is inside that loop leading up to the bridge.

I know the camera lens distorts the pic, but it sure is a long way to that island.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:56:35 AM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:09 PM »
I work in Cascade Locks, and there is a zip line in place right now from the Bridge of the Gods to Thunder Island.

Well dang!  This must have been lurking in my subconscious. 

And I thought we had something original!   :groan:

But at least we can confirm it.   :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
Great job kiwi!! :jumpy: Good researching! :hugs:

And great steps pics DrRox!

Shoot, I wanna play too! Darn work....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »
Do we have times for the Thunder Island zip and the clue boxes yet? They should be somewhere around 2-230 IIRC from observers.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2008, 12:31:55 PM »
I work in Cascade Locks, and there is a zip line in place right now from the Bridge of the Gods to Thunder Island.

Well dang!  This must have been lurking in my subconscious. 

And I thought we had something original!   :groan:

But at least we can confirm it.   :lol:

:lol: sometimes a rose is a rose right under "our"nose"

There is the Willamette River quite near to Newberg, but I personally do not believe there was time to go to Cascade Locks and anywhere near Newberg.

apskips -- then why does Andrew instruct his driver to go to Newberg? and this ,,

I work in Cascade Locks, and there is a zip line in place right now from the Bridge of the Gods to Thunder Island.  I don't know when they put it up, but it sure wasn't there yesterday!   :yess:  I got there in time to see the camera crews packing up and loading equipment into vans, but a fellow teacher saw two couples ride the zip line down to the island.  This was between 2:30-3:30 this afternoon.  There were helicopters circling the site, three camera crews at and around the bridge, and they apparently paid the owners of the Charburger restaurant to close for the day so they could secure the parking lot which overlooks the river and the zip line.  There were six yellow cabs at the parking lot where the access to the island is, along with more camera crews, and the officer that I talked to said they always stage it so that people don't know for sure how many couples are left.  Does that sound reasonable?
The other teacher talked to one of the cab drivers, who said he picked up two people at the airport from an overseas flight, took them to Newberg where they "ran around and looked for a clue", then drove them to Cascade Locks.  For some reason someone asked him if this was Fear Factor, but he said it was more like a scavenger hunt.  Apparently he has not actually seen Amazing Race himself, so didn't know anything about the usual process.
My speculation is Timberline Lodge for the finish?