Author Topic: EP10: 11/30 'You're Gonna Get Me Killed'  (Read 171083 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP10: 11/30 'You're Gonna Get Me Killed'
« Reply #500 on: December 02, 2008, 12:13:24 AM »
Just for fun:  This happened today in Japan:  Happy Face Moon

Two planets and the Moon!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #501 on: December 02, 2008, 12:17:07 AM »
 Thats really cool Chateau!! :jumpy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #502 on: December 02, 2008, 12:23:04 AM »
Stolen for future use, : )

:hearts:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #503 on: December 02, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »
I was intrigued by Ken's remarks about the 3 hour wait he had at the submarine museum. Hours of operation is standard for many Amazing Race tasks, so he was a bit absurd in suggesting that this was unfair as it eliminated Ken/Tina's lead over the other 2 top teams starting AR10. I searched for and discovered this additional information:

The Museum of Russia’s Submarine Fleet

Russian diesel submarine B-396, “The Novosibirsky Komsomolets,” was decommissioned in 1998 and moved to Moscow in 2003, where that winter a drop in water levels caused the craft to break on the shallow banks of the reservoir where it was stored. Now those holes have been patched and the submarine has been retrofitted to allow visitors a trip into Russian naval history. The permanent exhibit includes tours through the various sections of the submarine, including the torpedo bays, control deck and living quarters, as well as information on the history of Russia’s submarine fleet.
44-48 Ul. Svobody, Severnoe Tushino Park, Wed.-Sun. 10am-5pm (by appointment only), 729-6602. M. Skhodnenskaya.

It has a companion ship(I am guessing a tender) the Druzhsky.

So, Ken/Tina would have arrived to the sub museum about 7am and had to wait until 10am to enter.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #504 on: December 02, 2008, 11:40:46 AM »
Maybe. The sign on the wall had 9-5 on it. But who knows how legit that was? I didn't see any other tourists, and there was no footage of racers paying admission; maybe the sub was reserved for them a short time.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #505 on: December 02, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
Based on the key information that the most efficient racer (Nick) took 2 hours to complete the Roadblock, I have developed this rough timeline for episode 10 for Nick/Starr:

Pitstop release after 7am
Arrive at the Sub Museum by taxi well before 10am
Opening Hour for Sub Museum 10am
Guess at taxi ride to Park Iskusst, Moument of Fallen Heroes arrival 1045am
Roadblock time to complete(2 hours per Starr talking to Nick in an Extra Video) results in 1245pm
Taxi to entrance to Sokol'niki Park and walk to pony lady 130pm
Detour - RIDE the RAILS - take the suway from Sokol'niki to Lubyanka, then change for the line to 1905 Street Station
 arrive 215pm
Find marked sandwich shop, buy samsa, get on subway to Kitai-Gorod arrive 245pm
Find babushka, get postcard and get back on subway 300pm
Arrive VDNKh metro stop (6 from Kitai-Gordo on the same line) and find cluebox 330pm
Reach pitstop in VDNKh Park around 345pm

I know this differs from Chateau's estimate of slightly after 5pm.
Anyone that has any insights on how long it takes to do taxis or get around on the Moscow subway(which I have done but only on the line out to Sheremetyevo Airport) should comment.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #506 on: December 02, 2008, 02:32:01 PM »
Final analysis, I swear.

I looked long and hard at the cylinder shadow on the lamppost.  I also figured out that the video was shot from the third fountain back from the cross street.  Earlier I had it at the second fountain.

This picture was taken between 3:41 and 4:12 pm (assumes May 13th).

I know this differs from Chateau's estimate of slightly after 5pm.

Actually, you're right in line.  Or, we're right in line!
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #507 on: December 02, 2008, 06:42:49 PM »
ty peach i asked the q y they did not make it bk for the finaly on another thread..also i was listing to the interview again and i am up set for 2 reasons one it sounded to me like the guy changing the mike batterys was partly to blam and 2 if tar ppl new no camera after 3 they should have gotten a penality not a long long walk..they would still be in the race if not for production, jmo.. dallas said hetook of the paket thing to change his mike battery.. i will listen again, but i am pretty sure that is what he said?? :duno:
tv junky needs help!!!!!

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #508 on: December 02, 2008, 07:16:19 PM »
That's right...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #509 on: December 02, 2008, 07:47:15 PM »
 Why didn't the leg show the depature times? I wish cbs would put them up. I wanted to know how far behind Nick and Starr and Andrew and Dan were. I hope that they show them on the finale.  :groan:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #510 on: December 02, 2008, 09:56:29 PM »
Fwiw, they were eliminated at the Rizhsky station: compare the facade and the Holiday Inn to the pictures here. The kiosk reads 20:54.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #511 on: December 02, 2008, 10:27:46 PM »
Why didn't the leg show the depature times? I wish cbs would put them up. I wanted to know how far behind Nick and Starr and Andrew and Dan were. I hope that they show them on the finale.  :groan:

I can offer you a hypothesis. That is that they wanted to maintain the suspense of Andrew and Dan vs. Toni/Dallas and Ken/Tina right up until the 10th pitstop. Until then, we had no reference times and could only hypothesize about how the various teams were doing. By cutting off vital start times, CBS/World Race Productions perhaps made a statement about who is in control. It was unprecedented and hopefully will never happen again.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #512 on: December 03, 2008, 12:25:31 AM »
Thanks Slowhatch :<3

From this interview with Tina & Ken (thanks peach)
Sometimes, the race action is affected by off-camera issues. In Sunday's episode, the teams gathered their first clue on a Russian submarine. But Tina noted that when she and Ken arrived at the boat, the tourist attraction wasn't open. By the time it was opened three hours later, all the other teams had caught up, eliminating their advantage.
here is a photo of Toni and Dallas waiting ...

You're Gonna Get Me Killed" -- Mother/son team Dallas (left) and Toni find a Route Marker by finding the senior sonar officer from The Hunt for Red October aboard this famous Soviet submarine anchored in the Moscow River, on THE AMAZING RACE 13
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:28:32 AM by puddin »

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #513 on: December 03, 2008, 02:27:48 AM »
that looks so movie like!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #514 on: December 03, 2008, 12:19:43 PM »

I can offer you a hypothesis. That is that they wanted to maintain the suspense of Andrew and Dan vs. Toni/Dallas and Ken/Tina right up until the 10th pitstop. Until then, we had no reference times and could only hypothesize about how the various teams were doing. By cutting off vital start times, CBS/World Race Productions perhaps made a statement about who is in control. It was unprecedented and hopefully will never happen again.

Maybe the PitStop was not the usual 12 hours.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #515 on: December 03, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »
Maybe, gator 27, but we know from a Video Extra that Ken/Tina arrived at the sub museum around 7am. Working backward, that would mean about a 615pm finish of leg 9 with a 12 hour pitstop. That's sounds about right to me. I am not saying that you are wrong, because that could account for the non-disclosure of AR10 start time, but I think it is unlikely.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #516 on: December 03, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
Isn't it usually not a 12 hour (or 12 hour increment eg. 36 hour, 60 hour) Pit Stop if CBS don't disclose the times the first team checked in?

Doesn't Phil usually say something like "Kynt and Vyxsin, who were the first to arrive *FLASHBACK* You're team number one *END FLASHBACK* Will depart, at XX:XX AM/PM"

Also, don't CBS play with the departure times to ensure the race stays close? I don't think they've ever let one team get on a really good flight while every other team gets hours behind on another flight.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #517 on: December 03, 2008, 10:50:01 PM »
Pitstop time  is ususally 12 hours. SOmetimes it is extended to 36 hours. Rarely it has been 24 hours. Once this season I remember 18 hours. It has never been 60 hours.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #518 on: December 03, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »
Oddly enough, I just heard a podcast from Dallas where he commented on the Pitstops being 12, 18, 24, or 36 hours and how they got to tour around La Paz and Angkor Wat because those were 36 hour Pitstops.

Also they said that thanks to the Passport being returned, they were able to get it back that morning (5/14), and then grab a flight on 5/14  "after all the other teams" and, while they could not get there in time for the Finale Mat, they did make it in time for the post-Mat wrap party! Maybe apskip knows which one that might have been.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #519 on: December 04, 2008, 07:49:18 AM »
Oddly enough, I just heard a podcast from Dallas where he commented on the Pitstops being 12, 18, 24, or 36 hours and how they got to tour around La Paz and Angkor Wat because those were 36 hour Pitstops.

Also they said that thanks to the Passport being returned, they were able to get it back that morning (5/14), and then grab a flight on 5/14  "after all the other teams" and, while they could not get there in time for the Finale Mat, they did make it in time for the post-Mat wrap party! Maybe apskip knows which one that might have been.

Yes, Peach. I consulted the Timeline, which cannot answer all questions but can answer that one:

For any teams who are too late (due to retrieval of lost documents or due to not having enough money for the taxi ride) to make the 0705 flight, then the next best alternative is the combination
KL3105 SVO AMS 1010 1200 connecting with KL6033 AMS SEA  KL8067 1315 1435 connecting with SEA PDX 1600 1650

So Toni/Dallas would be through customs and ready to leave the airport by about 515pm.

There is another flight that leaves at the same time through London to get to Seattle, but arrives PDX after 7pm.
There is a flight DL47 SVO ATL 1310 1705 connecting with AS6025 ATL PDX 1900 2128.
There is a more desirable afternoon flight SU229 SVO LAX 1420 1630 connecting with QF4113 LAX PDX 1850 2115.

Take your pick.

EDITOR'S NOTE - In an interview,  Dallas stated that he retrieved the passports between 11am and 12pm. That means he was fairly certain to take SU229 at 1420 because he and Toni would not be able to make it for anything earlier.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:47:09 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #520 on: December 04, 2008, 08:09:24 AM »
The consulate doesn't open till 9, so I expect that by the time they made the call, found out the passport was there, went there, got the passport, and then went to the airport , that they probably had to take one of those afternoon flights arr after 9.

Thanks!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tory

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #521 on: December 04, 2008, 04:20:04 PM »
peachy ty ty ty for the new pod cast.. i have been on i tunes every day looking for new ones on tv.. nothing great.. rff is the best and i look so fw to it every week i am soo glad u found another one , i have listened to the rff one 4 x all ready this week..in the car doing laundry ect..i hate house work so listing to the pod cast makes me for get i am actuly working.. love it..
tv junky needs help!!!!!