Author Topic: EP9:11/23 "That Is Studly"  (Read 54654 times)

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: EP9:11/23 "That Is Studly"
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 06:44:47 AM »
i was also thinking that the expensive purchase is shoes for dandrew

have teams ever been able to backtrack to collect something on a leg before

and Dan what a fool with the marching

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 11:03:01 AM »
From Episode 8's pre-intro recap: (see attachment)

they showed the Pit Stop for Leg 9 instead. So does anyone have any idea where this is?

Nice catch methylc :ya3:!

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 11:54:18 AM »
Wow, eagle eyes!

It doesn't say Moscow, does it?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2008, 12:04:08 PM »
  :ascared This view of Tverskaya Street looks so much like the street in the previews.   :angel:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 01:05:03 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
I spent a little time on methylc's building with no luck   :knuckles:

heres the press thingy .........

ONE TEAM'S EXPENSIVE PURCHASE COMES BACK TO HAUNT THEM
WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY THEIR TAXI DRIVER WHO LITERALLY STANDS IN THEIR WAY OF MAKING IT TO THE PITSTOP,
ON "THE AMAZING RACE 13," SUNDAY, NOV. 23
ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"That is Studly" — When one team spends too much money, an unpaid taxi driver literally stands in their way of making it to the Pitstop, while another Racer's awkward attempt to fall in line leaves the Russian military laughing, on THE AMAZING RACE 13, Sunday, Nov. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2008, 01:43:50 PM »
 :yess: Got it!  They are traveling on Tverskaya Street towards Red Square.

So it appears the preview is in the correct order.  They arrive at the airport and proceed to the monastery for their first clue.  They travel along Tverskaya Street, past the State Historical Museum to the south east side of Moscow where the monastery is located.  From there they go on to boot camp and the flour thingie.   :snicker:  Pitstop location yet unknown has been found!    ;)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:09:26 PM by Boingo »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2008, 01:49:33 PM »
 :groan:  hey puddin, in the preview video, the clue says to go to some camp in some village by taxi.  I don't seem to find that something-something village on any map of greater Moscow.   :duno: Anyone get that?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2008, 01:51:31 PM »
ten-es-ski village? I can't figure it out Boingo!

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2008, 02:23:58 PM »
 ;)  ok, time for a re-cap.  Locations in leg 9 (Moscow) that we know of so far.

(Too bad Matt wasn't a PA for this Moscow leg...  :lol: appears that we are in the south side of Moscow in this leg, and the north side in the next Moscow leg.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »
Bronnitsy - 30
Kolomna - 80
Ryazan' - 155

Just decided to delurk because I have recently developed a fondness for the Cyrillic alphabet. Anyways, I checked on Google Maps and those three towns/cities are accessible mainly by M-5. Also, Google Maps "estimated" travel distance between the heart of Moscow and Bronnitsy to be 60 km, so that picture was taken when they were maybe somewhere in the middle of those two towns/cities, and they were going in a direction away from Moscow.

Keep up the good work, everyone!  :tup:

They gave us this for a reason...

So maybe the village we can't get is on the way? Travel by taxi to (phonetics here) Klaus Cannon? near the village of Tenner--neska??

A taxi driver stands in the way of the Pitstop

That would be along the M-5 SE of Moscow...

I do keep getting panoramio pics of a military camp east of Bronnitsy--do we already have that place ? ???

http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GFRC,GFRC:2007-02,GFRC:en&q=Bronnitsy&um=1&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&resnum=1&ct=title
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2008, 04:02:37 PM »
I spent a little time on methylc's building with no luck   :knuckles:

heres the press thingy .........

ONE TEAM'S EXPENSIVE PURCHASE COMES BACK TO HAUNT THEM
WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY THEIR TAXI DRIVER WHO LITERALLY STANDS IN THEIR WAY OF MAKING IT TO THE PITSTOP,
ON "THE AMAZING RACE 13," SUNDAY, NOV. 23
ON THE CBS TELEVISION NETWORK

"That is Studly" — When one team spends too much money, an unpaid taxi driver literally stands in their way of making it to the Pitstop, while another Racer's awkward attempt to fall in line leaves the Russian military laughing, on THE AMAZING RACE 13, Sunday, Nov. 23 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network

Hmm, if the press release says that one team spends too much money and another Racer has an awkward attempt at falling in line then the first team is probably not Andrew & Dan since one of the Frat Boys are going to leave the Russian military laughing.  But I'm not taking that prediction to the bank.

Belle Book

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2008, 06:10:53 PM »
  :ascared This view of Tverskaya Street looks so much like the street in the previews.   :angel:
Yes, but to my eyes it is not a match. Look lower right end of first building on the left. The extra row of window slits in there is not on the master version. I am not suggesting that that isn't Tverskaya St. but I am stating that that block is not the match.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 10:04:46 PM by apskip »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
 :jumpy: Found it!  The pitstop for leg 9 in Moscow is Neskuchny Garden   :yess:

...the summer house is just south of Gorky Park / Sculpture Park, behind the Russian Academy of Sciences on Prospeckt Leninsky
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 07:15:36 PM by Boingo »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2008, 07:14:43 PM »
 :yess: Great work Boingo (and Methylc)! The backside, fwiw.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2008, 07:38:32 PM »
:jumpy: Found it!  The pitstop for leg 9 in Moscow is Neskuchny Garden   :yess:

...the summer house is just south of Gorky Park / Sculpture Park, behind the Russian Academy of Sciences on Prospeckt Leninsky
  :jumpy: You found the farking place!  :yess: :bow: Good job Boingo  :jumpy:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »
And a big Kudo's to methylc for spotting the pitstop slipup :jam:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:38 PM »
I'll fill in for peach since shes not here  :lol:

Neskuchny Sad
Fri, 2000-07-07 21:00 — admin Issue Number:
Author:
Text by Dmitry Mozheitov	Photos by Oleg Semyonov
Published:
2000-07-08
Source:
The Russia Journal

The garden's address is 30 Leninsky Prospect and its administration's telephone numbers are 159-3422, 236-1462. The nearest metro station is Leninsky Prospekt - exit the metro toward the Spartak sports store and walk just five minutes. As an alternative, you can ride the metro to station Oktyabrskaya (ring line) and go several stops by bus #111 or 196 or trolleybus #4, 33 or 62.

The garden owes its name, ‘Neskuchny,' to the Demidov's family estate. The estate once belonged to Count Orlov, who went down in history as Catherine the Great's not-so-secret lover. He then bequest it to his niece, the daughter of Gen. Alexei Orlov-Chesmensky, whom records also name as Catherine the Great's lover.

Before the 1917 revolution, Neskuchny Garden belonged to the tsar's family. Back then, there were greenhouses and farms. Quite a few of the park's structures have been preserved, specifically the Summer House on the Moscow River's steep bank, several bridges and grottos, and ‘Nizhnyaya Vanna,' a small mansion with rotunda standing on the bank of the Yelizaveta Pond.

This rotunda was erected

in honor of the 800th anniversary of Moscow's founding and the victories of Russian and Soviet troops. It was built on the place once occupied by

the Hermitage Palace.

Near the park's entrance, there are several outdoor tennis courts and ping-pong tables, and in the evenings, the area is taken over by chess players. Time flies in Neskuchny, especially if the weather is fine and you're having fun.

Inside the park, there is one of the world's famous mineralogical museums — the Fersman Museum of Minerals. Its address is 18 Leninsky Prospekt, Bldg. 2 and its administration's telephone numbers are 954-1859 and 954-3900. The museum is open daily, except Monday and Tuesday, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. The museum's collections include over 135,000 exhibits from all over the world — crystals, precious stones, meteorites and artworks of ancient and modern craftsmen.

Another interesting feature of Neskuchny Sad is its ‘Vesyolaya Arena' (‘Merry Arena') circus, tel. 954-7275. Tickets cost 40 rubles. Currently showing is the ‘French Gypsies' program with acrobats, clowns, bears, horses, dogs and monkeys. The program runs 135 min.

Not far from the circus, there is a horse stable. It is open daily, except Monday, from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m., tel. 958-5255, and offers horseback riding for 250 rubles per hour.

In addition to being a popular place for strolling and entertainment, Neskuchny Sad has become a hangout for the city's teenager association of Tolkienists — fans of famous British writer J.R.R. Tolkien. They turned part of the park into ‘Eglador,' the fancy world featured in Tolkien's novels, and organize real knight tournaments there - though using wooden swords. They chose Neskuchny for one simple reason — it is the only forest-park in the center of Moscow.

Going down Pushkinskaya Nab. from Neskuchny, you can quickly reach Gorky Park. On the way, you can visit the Green Theater and climb the fancily decorated Novoandreyevsky bridge.

If car exhaust and factory smoke are doing your lungs damage, take a stroll in the clean, relaxing atmosphere of Neskuchny Sad. Literally translated as ‘Non-boring Garden, this lush of green is also a great place for romantic walks. Around its shady groves, beautiful flowerbeds and pedestrian alleys are comfortable benches where you can take a rest and cuddle. Established in the 1840s by a merger of the estates of Russia's three famous noble families, Golitsyn, Demidov and Trubetskoi, the place has lived up to its name.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »
I heard that! :funny:

But oh NICE job Boingo!!  :wohoo:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2008, 10:11:27 PM »
I heard that! :funny:

But oh NICE job Boingo!!  :wohoo:
  Theres our peachs!  :hearts:

:lol:  :neener:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2008, 10:18:50 PM »
So could this be our Nick's confessional garden?? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »
exactly peach :ya3:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2008, 11:24:42 AM »
stupid old hag from the promo "He's not fit". He is also 50 yrs your junior!! Rude lady!
Kiwi heard it right... :tup:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2008, 11:34:47 AM »