Author Topic: AR14 Timelines, Timetables and Flight Information  (Read 135929 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: AR14 Timelines, Timetables and Flight Information
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 03:59:58 PM »

Since we know that the Dam bungee is on the morning of the second day, this looks like now that Leg 1 will include all of the Interlaken tasks, with Leg 2 then being Bavaria and Salzburg...

Which will then take us down to the 11 leg race the schedule suggests, right?

There have been questions raised by the FutonCritic (usually an accurate source) citing a 11 episode AR14 vs. the 12 episodes that I have been showing. It is now apparent that it was the Futon Critic who was wrong. AR14 is a 12 episode race.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 04:12:23 PM »
This is what I also thought!
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
I would not conclude that based on the information from the blogger, who I recall to be not specific on the exact time of sighting. I would expect that the flight could be well after midnight.

The assumption that World Race Productions are trying to minimize air fare for Phil is possible, but I don't consider it likely. They are likely to ticket him just like the racers, which means in Y class with total flexibility.

I think I can back up this assumption to some extent. As of last November, only Thai, Jet and Indian Air had flights from Delhi to Bangkok. I can't access the Indian Airlines website (stupid Mainland China censorship!), but neither Jet Airways nor Thai Airways had other flights to Bangkok at night. Will check Indian Airlines once I get home!

Now even if Phil were to be ticketed as the racers, cost savings can still be earned by flying a shorter distance?

Hmm, I don't think Phil would have to go from (Bangalore, Cochin, Chennai, Kolkata or Mumbai) to Delhi, and then change flights to get to Bangkok; if he could have simply hopped on the direct, saving him at least a connection and several hours... The remaining places look possible though!
Neobie, let me offer an alternate opinion on the premise that you have for when the Delhi sighting would have taken place. I believe that it happened on the way into the final Indian city, with changing planes in Delhi. I do not think it happened on the way from the final Indian city through Delhi to Bangkok. My way the cities you mentioned are not ruled out except by not having after-midnight flights from Delhi. The "remaining places" are not possible by that logic and neither are Bangalore, Chennai, or Kolkata.

I will further state that there are two things we do don't know, one being flights from smaller Indian cities like Pune for example and the other the schedules of small Indian airlines that do do make the general-purpose reservations systems that I use for flight information. If time permits I will take a look at this.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 08:20:20 PM »
Aah, I get your drift Apskip. But according to the spoiler Phil was flying from Delhi to Bangkok?

Managed to get on the Air India website! They don't have evening directs to Bangkok though (and I really don't think Phil would connect through Mumbai just for the heck of it), so I maintain that these are the only two possible flights that he could have been on?

TG316, Fridays 0005-0535
9W64, Fridays 0100-0655

Now assuming the theory works, Goa wouldn't work as a destination. Air India (IC594) has a flight from Goa to Bangalore, Thursdays 2115 to 2210, which connects well to the flight to Bangkok at 0030. Flight time from Goa to Delhi is 150 minutes, which means Phil would definitely save time (and possibly money) travelling through Bangalore.

Hyderabad doesn't look good either, with a Jet Airways (9W3548) flying from Hyderabad to Bangalore 2125 to 2250.

Kochi's last flight to Delhi is Jet Airways (9W7012) 1610 to 1920, and Phil has better options through Chennai and Bangalore. However, these cities are connected via Kingfisher and Paramount Airlines, and I'm not sure if Phil would take a less established airline?

Varanasi connects best through Delhi, but all flights to Delhi leave before the direct TG8821 (Thursdays 1630-2115) that goes straight to Bangkok. If Phil could have taken the direct, why connect through Delhi? (Damn, I wanted Varanasi!)

Both Ahmedabad and Jaipur look possible. Jet Airways (9W706) flies from Ahmedabad to Delhi Thursdays 2030 to 2150, and Air India (IC895) flies from Jaipur to Delhi Thursdays 1815 to 1855. There are flights that can get Phil from Ahmedabad to Mumbai to Bangkok, but they're not so much better than Delhi than to rule a Delhi transfer out. For Jaipur though, Delhi is solid.

In terms of probabilities based on flight options, I'd say:
Jaipur > Ahmedabad > Kochi > Hyderabad, Goa and Varanasi > Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore and Kolkata

Basically, the closer you are to Delhi and the further you are from the cities that have their own flights to Bangkok, the better the chances!

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:50:36 PM by Neobie »

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 08:46:13 PM »
What do you guys think?

:tup: I think you guys are amazing! :cheer:

:word: I mean I understand most of what you post, but the research is waaaay beyond me :colors

Offline Kiwi Jay

• 'giz us a geez'
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 09:15:38 PM »
 :lol: Phenomonal. But you put more than enough in Mrs. Shrek. I wish I could contribute more but I dont have a distinct thing that I can do like most of you
'We are the makers of music, and the dreamers of dreams. To roam the roads of lands remote, to travel is to live'.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2009, 10:08:14 PM »
:lol: Phenomonal. But you put more than enough in Mrs. Shrek. I wish I could contribute more but I dont have a distinct thing that I can do like most of you
A lot of it doesn't involve any special skill except persistence. It is just slow hard work trawling thru page after page of possibilities until you maybe find what you are looking for, or maybe not....

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
Neobie,
First, I do concur with your after-midnight flights Delhi ot Bangkok. The only ones in that category are 9W64 and TG316.

Second, I do concur with your priniciples of closer-to-Delhi and no direct flight to Bangkok.

On the specifics of cities, I had ot start all over again as a result of your pointing out that Phil was sighted on the way to Bangkok sometime near midnight between Thursday Nov. 13 and Friday Nov. 14. That means i had all my flight information in the wrong direction. That is easy enough to correct and you get different conclusions that I originally did when it is corrected. The cities of Srinagar, Madurai and unfortuantely Varanasi are out for sure according to our methods. The other cities are as follows in last flight arriving before midnight:

Bangalore IC404 1950 2200
Chennai    6E282 1745 2230
Goa           IC888 1645 2055
Hyderabad 6E206 2100 2305
Calcutta    6E774 1945 2210
Bombay     6E182 2115 2320
Pune         IC850  1845 2045
Cochin      9W404 connecting 9W304 1605 2100
Jaipur        IT612  1950 2030
Lucknow JetLite S2162 2025 2125
Ahmedabad 9W705 2030 2150
Udaipur     9W3326  1840 2020  

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2009, 05:01:36 AM »
Erm... Because we're bored, and because we can? :umn: (You shall not make me look for Swiss chalet windows!)

We know Phil is only ready to leave Delhi after 9.55am on Thursday, or he would have made an earlier TG324 to Bangkok, leaving at 11.55am. Instead he took a flight that evening. If Phil flew into Delhi airport, we could look at a list of all flights arriving after 9.55am on Thursdays... (Edited for clarity, thanks Apskip!)

Close to impossible; these cities have direct flights to Bangkok that depart after the Delhi flight:
Kolkata, Mumbai, Chennai, Bangalore, Varanasi

Very unlikely; these cities have Indian/Jet Air flights superior to a Delhi connection, with Phil saving time and distance:
Aurangabad, Vishakhapatnam, Kochi, Goa, Guwahati, Nagpur, Ahmedabad, Bhubaneswar, Hyderabad

Unlikely; these airports connect best through Delhi, but are tiny airports with no more than three departures a day:
Leh, Shimla, Gwalior, Surat Gujarat, Jodhpur, Dharamsala, Dehra Dun, Gorakhpur, Kanpur, Agra

Possible; this flight, through Kolkata, is superior to a Delhi connection, but uses the smaller airline Kingfisher:
Ranchi

No reason for rejection, yet; here is the list of the remaining candidates, flight schedule-wise:
Jaipur, Sri Nagar, Jammu, Bagdogra, Chandigarh, Raipur, Udaipur, Amritsar, Pune, Lucknow, Indore, Vadodara, Bhopal, Patna

Specifics left out to save us all some headache, if you need them PM me!

We can't tell for sure if Phil didn't just take a train in, but that would limit him to maybe a 12-hour radius of Delhi.

Well, if there's one thing we know for certain, the leg is not in Southern India. It's too far for anything but a flight, and no airports south of Pune give us the correct flight combinations.

If the leg turns out to be in Delhi I will jump off a tall building... (:;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:05:02 PM by Neobie »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »
Neobie,
Between what you ahve done and what I have done, the "waterfront has been covered". Until there is some hint of new information, we just have to sit and wait. One comment I have for you is that two times you quoted as "AM" shoudl really be "PM". Phil was not spoted in the middle of the day, he was spotted near midnight. Also, 2 hours to connect at Delhi airport only applies when you aer going from one terminal to another. Aren't some international flights in the terminal adjacent to the domestic terminal? If so, then something closer to 1 hour ought to be oK.

The location of the India leg could be Delhi, but I doubt it. There was just 2 legs in AR13 in Delhi.

As for taking the trian, that is something contestants occasionally have to do, but not Phil. World Race Productions knows the value of his time and would only send him on a train for short distances(which could be done by taxi just as easily).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
Erm... Because we're bored, and because we can? :umn: (You shall not make me look for Swiss chalet windows!)

If the leg turns out to be in Delhi I will jump off a tall building... (:;)
Come over to the dark side Neobie! You don't want to be left out of all the fun do you? :lol:
Don't jump without me! we can hold hands on the way down :nut:
I can see why TPTB love India, we have never had a sighting of teams in all the seasons they have been there, perfect right?
Shudders at the thought of another horrible train ride insert anywhere India here.
Good job Neobie and Apskips  :jam:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2009, 07:55:23 PM »
puddin, to be perfectly fair about it, I doubt that World Race Productions schedules India to prevent us from learning about that leg. I suspect something more mundane like the viewer-pleasing footage that always results from short-term exposure to the Indian culture. Despite the fact that hundreds of millions in India speak at least rudimentary English, there is probably 5 times as many Indians that speak no English. That culture clash is always interesting to me and I bet to most Amazing Race viewers.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »
puddin, to be perfectly fair about it, I doubt that World Race Productions schedules India to prevent us from learning about that leg. I suspect something more mundane like the viewer-pleasing footage that always results from short-term exposure to the Indian culture. Despite the fact that hundreds of millions in India speak at least rudimentary English, there is probably 5 times as many Indians that speak no English. That culture clash is always interesting to me and I bet to most Amazing Race viewers.
The same could be said about Thailand, notably Bangkok.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2009, 08:53:08 AM »
AR14 Timeline(revised 2/5):

NOTE: I have made changes for Interlaken through Romania. The net effect of them is to have leg 3 be to Salzburg and legs 4 and 5 be in Romania.

Oct. 31 leg 1 depart U.S. for Locarno, Switzerland via Frankfurt and Zurich or via Milan:

LAX to Milan-Malpensa(MXP) as follows: TN022 1145 0845+1 connecting with AF1214 0945+1 1145+1

Here are the bus schedules in the same time frame:
Shuttle bus leaves airport  Arrival in Bellinzona at  Connecting train leaves  Arrival in Locarno 
12:30                                           14:20                              14:39                        14:58 
14:30                                           16:20                              16:39                        16:58 

From LAX to Milan-Linate a similar schedule applies:
TN (Air Tahiti Nui) 022  LAX CDG  1145 0845+1, conecting with  XM5997  CDG LIN 0935+1 1110+1

From LAX to Zurich via Frankfurt we have the interesting combination:
LH457  LAX FRA  1435 1025+1 connecting with LH3726   FRA ZRH  1200 1255

What I find most interesting is the fit LH457/LH3726 has with the observer comments about seeing 7 teams in Frankfurt Airport the morning of Saturday Nov. 1. I expect no other reason to go to Frankfurt except to connect to Zurich. There are 10 nonstop flights on Saturday between Frankfurt and Zurich, so if any are delayed there are alternatives.

The train schedule from Zurich to Bellinzona to Locarno indicates that 3 1/4 hours is required. Here is is:

Train leaves airport Change in  Connecting train leaves  Arrival in Locarno 
11:47  Zurich HB (main station)             12:09     
                                Arth-Goldau           12:52     
                                 Bellinzona             14:40                         15:06 
12:47  Zurich HB (main station)             13:09     
                                 Bellinzona             15:40                         16:06 
13:47  Zurich HB (main station)             14:09     
                              Arth-Goldau             14:52     
                                 Bellinzona             16:40                         17:07 
16:47   Zurich HB(main station)             17:09
                              Bellinzona                19:40                         19:06

It is my belief that AR14 teams used a minimum of 2 flight combinations to get to Locarno. One may be to Milan, another to Zurich directly, and a third to Zurich via Frankfurt.

Nov. 1 arrive mid-morning in Europe and reach Locarno sometime in the afternoon; then tasks; this might be a TBC to allow known timing of next leg, but probably isn't
Nov. 2 Verzasca Dam bungee jump then Locarno to Domodossola to Spiez to Interlaken by train; then tasks in Interlaken
dep. Locarno 1047 arr. Domodossola 1235
dep. Domodossola 1248 arr. Spiez 1353
dep. Spiez 1425 arr. Interlaken West 1454 or dep. Spiez 1432 arr. Interlaken West 1451
total trip is 4 hours train

There is an alternate train route through the Goschenen Tunnel

Interlaken tasks

Nov. 3 leg 2 Interlaken possibly by rail to Zurich, then plane to Salzburg; arrival possibilities mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and late evening
From Interlaken to Salzburg, the early morning Tuesday(as in Nov.4) train schedules are:

dep. Interlaken West 0605 transfer trains in Spiez, Romanschorn, 7 min. walk to ship, ship to Frederichshafen ship terminal, 5 min. walk to Hafen station, 2 min. train to Frederichshafen station, Ulm, then arr. Salzburg 1454 after a 8 hour 53 minute trip OR
dep. Interlaken West 0731 transfer trains in Spiez, Bern, Zurich arr. Salzburg 1529 after a 8 hour 0 minute trip

More likely it will be a 5.5 hour (standard case with no getting lost along the way) self-drive car trip west to east within sight of the Alps all the way to Bertechsgaden

Tasks in Bertechsgaden and Raushberg parasailing.
Evening Pit stop in Salzburg

Nov. 4 leg 3 depart Salzburg for Bucharest, with several late-night flight options:
through Munich drive back from Salzburg early evening, then LH3424 2130 0025 MUC OTP
through Frankfurt OS269 1830 1950 SGZ FRA connecting to LH3416 2030 0005 FRA OTP

Nov. 6 arrival in Bucharest after midnight; transfer to train to get to Brasov
morning train departures: Bucharest Nord 2358 arr. Brasov 0246  or  dep. 0630 0922  or  dep. 0730 1019  or  dep. 0616 1051(note: nobody would want this) or  0830 1124  or  0942 1254  or  1130 1404
Nov. 7 tasks in Brasov
pit stop in Transylvania (includes Brasov)

Nov. 8 leg 5 AR14 Timeline(revised 1/26 exactly 2 months after the prio version):

1.First there is a comment on what happens between Phuket and Guilin. The most obvious possibility is a leg in Bangkok, but if WRP has a "Been there, done that" attitude like me, I want to see somewhere else in southeast Asia next.
2. We haven't a clue on where in India AR14 is going except that air connections through Delhi on to Bangkok and Phuket are probable. We know that you can easily get to Phuket via Singapore alao.

Oct. 31 leg 1 depart U.S. for Locarno, Switzerland via Frankfurt and Zurich or via Milan:
LAX to Milan-Malpensa(MXP) as follows: TN022 1145 0845+1 connecting with AF1214 0945+1 1145+1

Here are the bus schedules in the same time frame:
Shuttle bus leaves airport  Arrival in Bellinzona at  Connecting train leaves  Arrival in Locarno 
12:30                                           14:20                              14:39                        14:58 
14:30                                           16:20                              16:39                        16:58 

From LAX to Milan-Linate a similar schedule applies:
TN (Air Tahiti Nui) 022  LAX CDG  1145 0845+1, conecting with  XM5997  CDG LIN 0935+1 1110+1

From LAX to Zurich via Frankfurt we have the interesting combination:
LH457  LAX FRA  1435 1025+1 connecting with LH3726   FRA ZRH  1200 1255

Note: some of those above are too early to get if the taditional Amazing Race start timing holds.

What I find most interesting is the fit LH457/LH3726 has with the observer comments about seeing 7 teams in Frankfurt Airport the morning of Saturday Nov. 1. I expect no other reason to go to Frankfurt except to connect to Zurich. There are 10 nonstop flights on Saturday between Frankfurt and Zurich, so if any are delayed there are alternatives.

The train schedule from Zurich to Bellinzona to Locarno indicates that 3 1/4 hours is required. Here is is:

Train leaves airport Change in  Connecting train leaves  Arrival in Locarno 
11:47  Zurich HB (main station)             12:09     
                                Arth-Goldau           12:52     
                                 Bellinzona             14:40                         15:06 
12:47  Zurich HB (main station)             13:09     
                                 Bellinzona             15:40                         16:06 
13:47  Zurich HB (main station)             14:09     
                              Arth-Goldau             14:52     
                                 Bellinzona             16:40                         17:07 
16:47   Zurich HB(main station)             17:09
                              Bellinzona                19:40                         19:06

It is my belief that AR14 teams used a minimum of 2 flight combinations to get to Locarno. One may be to Milan, another to Zurich directly, and a third to Zurich via Frankfurt.

Nov. 1 arrive mid-morning in Europe and reach Locarno sometime in the afternoon; then tasks; this might be a TBC to allow known timing of next leg, but probably isn't in which case we have a pit stop

Nov. 2 leg 2 Locarno to Domodossola to Spiez to Interlaken by train; then tasks in Interlaken
dep. Locarno 1047 arr. Domodossola 1235
dep. Domodossola 1248 arr. Spiez 1353
dep. Spiez 1425 arr. Interlaken West 1454 or dep. Spiez 1432 arr. Interlaken West 1451
total trip is 4 hours train

Nov. 3 leg 3 Interlaken probably by rail to Zurich, then plane to Salzburg; arrival possibilities mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and late evening
From Interlaken to Salzburg, the early morning Tuesday(as in Nov.4) train schedules are:

dep. Interlaken West 0605 transfer trains in Spiez, Romanschorn, 7 min. walk to ship, ship to Frederichshafen ship terminal, 5 min. walk to Hafen station, 2 min. train to Frederichshafen station, Ulm, then arr. Salzburg 1454 after a 8 hour 53 minute trip OR
dep. Interlaken West 0731 transfer trains in Spiez, Bern, Zurich arr. Salzburg 1529 after a 8 hour 0 minute trip

Based on the above, it seems more likely that teams flew to Salzburg on Nov. 4. In order to do that the optimal route is to take a train from Interlaken to Bern(somtimes changing first in Spiez) and then change for Bern to Zurich. The trains that fit are:

First train is dep. Interlaken West 522 transfer at Bern, arr. Zurich HB 0728, transfer there to Zurich Airport dep. HB 0746 arr. Airport 0747,  a difficult 23 minute connection to make the first flight below from Zurich airport; see a. below for best flight
Next is dep. Interlaken West 1031 transfer at Bern, arr. Zurich HB 1228 dep.HB 1237 arr. Airport 1246; see b. below for best flight
Last is dep. Interlaken West 1729 transfer at Spiez and Bern, arr. Zurich HB 1928, dep. HB 1937 arr. Airport 1946; see c. below for best flight

At Zurich there are  several nonstop flights to Salzburg, each with a connection from one of the train trips above:

a. C91202/LX4290  0810 0915  ZRH SGZ
b. C91204/Lx4292  1335 1440  ZRH SGZ
c. C91208/LX4294  2040 2145  ZRH SGZ
tasks in Salzburg
pit stop

Nov. 4 leg 4 depart Salzburg for Bucharest, with several late-night flight options:
through Munich drive back form Salzburg early evening, then LH3424 2130 0025 MUC OTP
through Frankfurt OS269 1830 1950 SGZ FRA connecting to LH3416 2030 0005 FRA OTP

Nov. 5 arrival in Bucharest after midnight; transfer to train to get to Brasov
morning train departures: Bucharest Nord 2358 arr. Brasov 0246  or  dep. 0630 0922  or  dep. 0730 1019  or  dep. 0616 1051(note: nobody would want this) or  0830 1124  or  0942 1254  or  1130 1404
tasks in Brasov area, ending with either a TBC or normal pitstop

Nov. 6 more tasks in Transylvania plus possibly Bucharest

Nov. 7 pit stop somewhere in Romania

Nov. 8 leg 5 get to Bucharest if not already there
leave Transylvania for Krasnojarsk
RO341 Bucharest (OTP)  -  Vienna (VIE)0835 0920,  FV204 Vienna (VIE)  -  St Petersburg (LED) 1050 1530, FV573 St. Petersburg (LED)  -  Krasnojarsk (KJA) 1800 0240+1   OR
LO642  Bucharest (OTP)  -  Warsaw (WAW)1435 1520, LO677 Warsaw (WAW)  -  Moscow (SVO) 1600 2010, SU781 Moscow (SVO)  -  Krasnojarsk (KJA) 0045+1 0910+1   OR
TH1444 Bucharest (OTP)  -  Istanbul (IST) 1050 1215, TK1415 Istanbul (IST)  -  Moscow (SVO) 1335 1740, SU779 Moscow (SVO)  -  Krasnojarsk (KJA) 2055 0540+1

Nov. 9 do tasks and finish with TBC allowing teams to board TransSiberian Express in late afternoon
Here is the schedule from Krasnojarsk to Novosibirsk on a weekday:

Dep.Kr  Arr.No Duration
00:57  14:09  13:12   
02:01  17:27  15:26 
04:10  16:01  11:51   
05:59  20:06  14:07   
06:52  18:51  11:59   
07:18   22:52  15:34     
08:05   21:24  13:19     
10:09   23:55  13:46     
10:36   23:12  12:36     
11:16   00:58  13:42     
12:36   01:12  12:36     
13:51   02:24  12:33     
14:37   04:19  13:42     
15:27   04:33  13:06     
18:26   06:47  12:21     
23:36   12:38  13:02   

My guess is that teams would be ready to leave Krasnojarsk based on a TBC on the 1351, 1437, or 1527 trains.

Nov. 10 leg 6 TransSiberian Express arrival in Novosibirsk
ride on Trans Siberian Express train trip to Novosibirsk
tasks in Novosibirsk, Siberia
pit stop

Nov. 12 leg 7 flights Novosibirsk to Moscow to Delhi, India and on to somewhere in northern India
SU810 Novosibirsk (OVB)  -  Moscow (SVO) 0700 0815, KC872 Moscow (SVO)  -  Almaty (ALA) 0920 1645, KC907 Almaty (ALA)  -  Delhi (DEL) 1805 2115
 then connecting to unknown city in India
tasks
pit stop

Nov. 14 leg 8 leave "somewhere in northern India" to Bangkok

Nov. 15 fly Bangkok to Phuket apparently on TG203 0740 0850, then tasks in Phuket area
pit stop

Nov. 16 leg 9 possibly fly from Phuket to Bangkok
Choices for flights are: TG226 0725 0850, TG1204 0935 1100, PG272 1025 1145, TG1206 1235 1400, TG1214 1355 1520, PPG 276 1350 1510

tasks in Bangkok area
pit stop

Nov. 18 leg 10 fly probably form Bangkok to to Guilin
 Shenzen Air 9669 BKK CAN 2110 2225. The viable CAN KWL flights are TG668 0950 1330 and MS958 1310 1655. 
tasks in Guilin area
extended pit stop

Nov. 20 leg 11 Guilin to Beijing flight choices:
CZ3281 0900 1125
CA6312 1145 1435
CZ3287 1710 1950
CA1226 2105 0015

then tasks in Beijing and start regular pitstop

Nov. 21 leg 12 return from Beijing to U.S. for Finish Line in Hawaii via Tokyo
PEK NRT on Air China has several choices:
CA6651/NH956 0845 1305
CA925               0930 1350
CA167               1350 1750

Continuing on from Tokyo-Narita to Honolulu (NRT to HNL), there are 9 choices with departures between 645pm and 10pm. With the 6 hours 45 minute flying team and 5 hour time difference, these flights arrive HNL 0630 to 0950. The most logical choice to me would be UA880 NRT HNL 1925 0710+1. All these are same day due to crossing the International Date Line.

Finish Line on which Hawaiian island not known yet although I guess Oahu now for convenience

Note: this is a 22 day race.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 01:06:38 PM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2009, 10:34:15 AM »
Have we gotten an approx time that Phil says     "Goooooooooo"???
Matthew 7:15

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2009, 10:58:42 AM »
In past seasons it's been around 10:30-11:00. There are some shadows in the promo video that can pin it down even closer.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2009, 11:16:41 AM »
Thanks slowhatch, I went through the threads seeing if I could find one of Chateau's time computations. My eyes are shot from looking at white buildings and green shutters and wondered if I had missed it....

For you SoCal experts, what do you figure total time from Los Alamitos JFB to ticket counter at LAX,  taking into account Sat morning drive time, time for parking car, and shuttle bus to terminal counters?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:20:22 AM by DrRox »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »

This might help  :tup:

Now with the correct location:

This shot was taken between 10:13  and 10:26 am (assumes October 31st).

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »
Thank you puddin.... :hearts:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2009, 12:45:24 PM »
Thanks slowhatch, I went through the threads seeing if I could find one of Chateau's time computations. My eyes are shot from looking at white buildings and green shutters and wondered if I had missed it....

For you SoCal experts, what do you figure total time from Los Alamitos JFB to ticket counter at LAX,  taking into account Sat morning drive time, time for parking car, and shuttle bus to terminal counters?

Dr. Rox,
Why will they will be on roads? How about on a military helicopter?

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2009, 12:51:12 PM »
Well it appears to me in the promo that they are running AWAY from the flight line to the parking lot. Also in the promos there are shots of teams in cars going to LAX.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2009, 01:01:24 PM »
Well it appears to me in the promo that they are running AWAY from the flight line to the parking lot. Also in the promos there are shots of teams in cars going to LAX.
I think the discussion starts here DrRox..

I'll throw in a little more local knowledge and then I'll shut up.
It all depends on which side of the runway you're on. If you're on the south side, taking Valleyview will dump you directly on the 405 feeder (try routing it from Orangewood next to the Navy golf course and you'll see what I mean). The teams are on the north side; in addition to the longer route, the traffic (weekday mornings, at least) on the north 605 will back up (for miles, sometimes) starting at the I-5 junction. Teams could save time going right instead of left on Katella (and avoid the red-light-camera intersection at Los Alamitos blvd.  :rules:  ;D) and then down Valleyview, but it would be counterintuitive.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2009, 01:28:38 PM »
AR14 Timeline(revised 2/5):

Nov. 3 leg 2 Interlaken possibly by rail to Zurich, then plane to Salzburg; arrival possibilities mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and late evening

More likely it will be a 5.5 hour (standard case with no getting lost along the way) self-drive car trip west to east within sight of the Alps all the way to Bertechsgaden

Tasks in Bertechsgaden and Raushberg parasailing.
Pit stop in either Bertechsgaden or Raushberg

Nov. 4 leg 3 tasks in Salzburg
pit stop

Nov. 5 leg 4 depart Salzburg for Bucharest, with several late-night flight options:
through Munich drive back from Salzburg early evening, then LH3424 2130 0025 MUC OTP

Nov. 6 arrival in Bucharest after midnight; transfer to train to get to Brasov

According to the blogger in Salzburg, the pit stop on the evening of Nov 3, was the Schloss Hellbrunn in Salzburg, not Berchtesgaden or Raushberg.

According to Romaniafan's post at 2:05:56 am on Nov 5th he had just returned from picking up his friend at "about 12:45 am" and seeing the Amazing Race teams at the airport in Buchrrest. Romaniafan's post is here http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,17788.msg358736.html#msg358736

I think you have accidentlally added a day here, because of the confusing midnight arrival. I think teams possibly have some tasks around the Salzburg area on the morning of Nov 4, then make their way to Bucharest, arriving around midnight Nov4-5, not midnight Nov5-6. Your timeline has teams leaving Salzburg on morning of Nov 5, when they have already been seen in Bucharest.

If I am mistaken, my apologies in advance.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 01:43:06 PM by DrRox »

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
Dr. Rox, I can see your point and it looks like you are closer to right than me. I will need to address it.

I must ask you, Where have you been on this date problem? It has been in every timeline since Nov. 16. Why are you raising the issue now? Why not address it in late November?

I can see in the dialogue on timelines that Neobie did raise the issue tangentially months ago. He did not press the issue but if I were more on the ball I would have dealt with it then.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2009, 03:26:46 PM »
Well, I am still very new at this. I do not have the ability, yet,  to look at the whole race as you experts do. I never noticed it till today as I was filling in my new race "calendar."  If I had noticed it sooner, I would have mentioned it.