Archive > The Amazing Race 14

AR14 Timelines, Timetables and Flight Information

<< < (2/53) > >>

Chateau d If:
First attempted by Neobie, we need to figure out where the Teams started the race (or at least what city they connected through  :res:)

Here's my refinement of the report that seven Teams were spotted in Frankfurt and flew to Zurich. 

The witness, Matt, had arrived in Frannkfurt on Lufthansa LH 469 from Portland on Saturday November 1st.  The plane was scheduled to land at 9:05 am but was actually there at 8:16 am (that flight often arrives early).  I'm assuming that  the seven Teams had also arrived from the US on their first leg of the race.

The flight that Matt and the seven Teams took to Zurich was probably Eurowiss SWU 1071 scheduled to take off at 10:15 am and arrive at 11:20 am in Zurich.  So to get closer to our Start City for the race I looked for all in-bound flights from the US that had been scheduled to arrive inside the window from 8:00 am to 9:15 am.  The lower-bound of that window is set by having them arrive with comfortable time to make the connection but not too early because there was a 9:10 am flight to Zurich.  And the upper-bound of the window gives the standard one hour connection time.

With that in mind it looks to me  like the Teams would have arrived on either

1)  LH 427 from PHL Philadelphia, arriving at 8:05 am
2) UA 952 from IAD Washington, arriving at 8:15am
3) UA 900 from SFO San Francisco, arriving at 8:45 am
4) LH 445 from ATL Atlanta, arriving at 9:00 am
5) LH 439 from Dallas, arriving at 9:05 am
6) LH 441 from Houston, arriving at 9:05 am
7) UA 940 from ORD Chicago, arriving at 9:15 am
ocho) CO 50 from EWR Newark, arriving at 9:15 am

Mrs Shrek:
The start city usually has 2 or 3 set flight options for the teams all departing within an hour or so of each other. This is quite easy to achieve with a South America first leg, but may be harder with a European first leg. Because of that some of these cities might be able to be ruled out if they can't meet that criteria. The alternative flight may not necessarily go thru Frankfurt, but would have to go thru one of the other major European hub airports with a good onward connection to Zurich.

georgiapeach:
Checking! :waves:

Chateau d If:
Here are the take off times for those flights:

1) LH 427 PHL to FRA 7:05 pm
2) UA 952 IAD to FRA 7:14 pm
3) UA 900 SFO to FRA 1:48 pm
4) LH 445 ATL to FRA 7:10 pm
5) LH 439 DFW to FRA 5:20 pm
6) LH 441 IAH to FRA 5:30 pm
7) UA 940 ORD to FRA 6:48 pm
ocho) CO 50 EWR to FRA 8:15 pm

Only the San francisco flight would be a direct flight to Frankfurt from Start City.  The others would be connections.  I'm just saying this because I believe the take offs from Start City always seem to be in the 1 to 3 pm time frame.  So the other seven cities would be connection cities between the Start City and Frankfurt.

We can attempt to rule some of them out by finding which ones would have single-connection routes from Start to Zurich. 

And of course those initial flights have to be UA or AA   ;)

apskip:
Chateau,
You have done an interesting analysis. I have a few additions for nonstop flights to Frankfurt:

Detroit NW52     1710 0720+1
            UA9197  1810 0755+1
Philadelphia US5601/LH427  1805 0805+1
Miami   LH463    1605 0650+1

None of these is an American flight; one is a United flight. However, I can think of no law that says that the Amazing Race first leg is solely with UA or AA. That is a custom and tradition that is broken whenever it is convenient, most recently with COPA for AR11.

EDITOR's NOTE - I corrected to COPA from TACA above as a result of guidance from Chateau. Thanks, Chateau.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version