Author Topic: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation on Spoilers  (Read 673384 times)

Offline Cocoa

• RFF Game Host
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #1550 on: April 30, 2009, 02:38:37 AM »
And.. Christie & Jodi didn't have their stroll bags with them.
Currently on hiatus. If you need to urgently reach me, you can send me an email :D

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #1551 on: April 30, 2009, 03:08:51 AM »
And.. Christie & Jodi didn't have their stroll bags with them.
Oh, they ditched them long ago.  Right before they left Siberia.
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1552 on: April 30, 2009, 06:41:36 AM »
We know the race ended on the 21st

Puddin, if that's true and the date on the camera is correct, then  possibly it's just a decoy photo and not a spoiler one.  A speculative time line could be pit stop at 11 am., film for an hour or two, then go to the airport, do some decoy stuff at the airport, and then fly to Honolulu for the night.  I don't think the racers would fly home that same day.

Seeing all of the Amazing Race paraphernalia out in the open if they were arriving  seems kind of strange.  Why call attention when it's not needed?

Pedaler, the last time I flew back from Honolulu, the one thing I remember is that flights to the East Coast typically left around 1pm to land early morning. the latest you can effectively leave to arrive by late afternoon is slightly after 9pm.  For flights to LAX they leave around 11pm to land around noon. So that means that there would have been an array of options for booking flights back to the U.S. My guess is that few teams hung around Hawaii after being away from home well over 3 weeks. They would preferentially have flown out on the afternoon or evening of Nov. 21, depending on where they were going.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:54:25 AM by apskip »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1553 on: April 30, 2009, 06:50:30 AM »
While we work on a true time for this photo......where was this photo actually taken, geographicly, that is. Here are some things to take note of in the pic. There is a car, parked, over Mike White's right shoulder. The road sign indicates a two lane road. There is a very brisk wind blowing those palm trees. Trade winds are from the E/NE. How many rows of cars are there in the parking lot? There are cross walk signs, just beyond the racers.

Was it taken here, at Airport 1????

Or was it taken here, at Airport 2????  The yellow pin is misplaced. It should be between the two cross walks.

Matthew 7:15

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1554 on: April 30, 2009, 07:53:16 AM »
My guess is that few teams hung around Hawaii after being away from home well over 3 weeks. They would preferentially have flown out on the afternoon or evening of Nov. 21, depending on where they were going.

It is my understanding that following the wrap party, racers did not depart until 11/22.

Again, the owner of the camera lives in CA, which still does NOT mean that the time is set correctly.

The photo was taken while the source "waited for their rental car", if that helps?

Also I have referenced a shot of Kahului Airport which looks a match to me.

Also note that the Final Mat spoiler says that the MAT took place AFTER 11AM, not AT 11AM....

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,17788.msg380845.html#msg380845
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1555 on: April 30, 2009, 10:16:52 AM »
It may be that Hawaii Commercial and Sugar company has provided us with a datestamp. At first the conditions in the photo looked blustery/rainy. Checking the Weather Underground for PHOG, though, shows no significant rain for 19-21 and only a few drops on the 22nd. The curious entry, though, is on the 21st: smoke for most of the day. According to this article, "Maui snow" is a phenomenon that occurs every 18 months when HC&S burns their fields in central Maui.

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1556 on: April 30, 2009, 12:17:05 PM »
What confuses me about this picture is that while most indications are that this is post-finish, the racers seem to be waiting for transportation as if they are arriving in Maui, not departing.

According to the original blogger (http://valdesfamily.blogspot.com/2008/11/where-ive-been.html)  they were flying to Maui from the Sacramento area (or possibly SFO) on Friday 11/21, so a Friday afternoon arrival is consistent with this.

Is it possible the racers were arriving then also, and the finish was actually a day later?

Offline FLFan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1557 on: April 30, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
quote from graytex:  "And who are they looking back toward?  It looks like Jodi & the bros are looking back at the guy in the "A" ball cap.  Wonder if he's with them."

i am sure this will be the most brilliant, eye-opening, 1st reply ever...
but, the second i saw that photo, i thought the guy in right, with A hat on, was LUKE.  And i think the A cap looks fake, pasted on...   Maybe this picture is AFTER the race is done...but why would they be holding those papers and filming them....????
I know -- doesn't make sense...but i just think it looks like Luke, doctored.....and doesn't he have a gray fleece pull-over??

The person with the the A cap has a regular pull-along suitcase, you can see him holding the handle.  He also seems to be talking to the person in front of him with the red shirt or the person is talking to him.  Third he is wearing flip-flops or sandals.

If it was Luke, there would be a backpack.  I don't see any backpack straps and where would the pull-along suitcase come from.  If it was Luke communicating, his hands would be up not at his side.  Don't believe I have seen sandals on Luke this whole race and I don't peg Luke as the flip-flop type.  I am not saying the people from Colorado don't have flip-flops, but between the weather and rocks they don't seem practical.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1558 on: April 30, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
If it helps us figure out anything about the race...

Christie changed out of her pretty purple dress between the Koh Samui airport and the Kahului photo. Mike (the son) changed his shirt, but has kept his cargo pants. I'm thinking this means the teams didn't just arrive. It'd be hard to coordinate Michael/Mark and LaKisha/Jennifer to join the Elimination Station teams, unless they held everyone at Honolulu (where there isn't, presumably, a production base).

The earliest that ES teams could have arrived in Hawaii is on the morning of the 20th, and it is highly unlikely they waited until the 21st to arrive (also, they'd have been seen in Tokyo too). The earliest that Kisha/Jen could have arrived is on the morning of the 21st, together with the Final 3. Would they have had enough time to stage a decoy before the race finished?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:06:43 PM by Neobie »

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1559 on: April 30, 2009, 01:47:59 PM »
While we work on a true time for this photo......where was this photo actually taken, geographicly, that is. Here are some things to take note of in the pic. There is a car, parked, over Mike White's right shoulder. The road sign indicates a two lane road. There is a very brisk wind blowing those palm trees. Trade winds are from the E/NE. How many rows of cars are there in the parking lot? There are cross walk signs, just beyond the racers.

Was it taken here, at Airport 1????
(Image removed for brevity)
Or was it taken here, at Airport 2????  The yellow pin is misplaced. It should be between the two cross walks.
(Image removed for brevity)

The photo is definitely from Airport 1 - Kahului.  Airport 2 is Kapalua, which doesn't have that much parking.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1560 on: April 30, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »

Is it possible the racers were arriving then also, and the finish was actually a day later?

No, sorry.

But :welcome: to RFF, glad to have you!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1561 on: April 30, 2009, 02:16:49 PM »

I don't see any backpack straps and where would the pull-along suitcase come from. 

If you look at the last elimination station, all the teams were packing up their luggage. Some had the pull along suitcases and others had large duffle bags. Last race, TAR13, when Bill and Mark got to the elimination station in Mexico, their pull along suitcases were waiting for them in their room at the foot of their beds.

Christie changed out of her pretty purple dress between the Koh Samui airport and the Kahului photo. Mike (the son) changed his shirt, but has kept his cargo pants. I'm thinking this means the teams didn't just arrive. It'd be hard to coordinate Michael/Mark and LaKisha/Jennifer to join the Elimination Station teams, unless they held everyone at Honolulu (where there isn't, presumably, a production base).

Even if they didn't tell the eliminated teams they were headed to Hawaii, they all knew they were going to a finish line city in the US somewhere. If I was flying from Koh Samui to the US, I sure would have a change of clothes in my carryon, and freshen up somewhere along the way. I have done it before in the bathroom on the plane on very long flights. Also, airlines will let large traveling groups have conference rooms all to themselves at the airport, sometimes in the past with refreshments, etc. So all the teams could have been sesquestered in a room like that at HNL, before flying to Maui. Production could have gotten all the Koh Samui racers into HNL the day before and as long as they were not advertizing, no one would know they were TAR. Then they could start decoying when they get off plane in Maui on their way to finish line.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:33:51 PM by DrRox »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1562 on: April 30, 2009, 02:33:40 PM »
 Repeating:  :angel

No, sorry.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline chill_sd

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1563 on: April 30, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »
But :welcome: to RFF, glad to have you!

Thank you, you guys and gals are great. :wohoo:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1564 on: April 30, 2009, 03:44:58 PM »
If it helps us figure out anything about the race...

The earliest that ES teams could have arrived in Hawaii is on the morning of the 20th, and it is highly unlikely they waited until the 21st to arrive (also, they'd have been seen in Tokyo too). The earliest that Kisha/Jen could have arrived is on the morning of the 21st, together with the Final 3. Would they have had enough time to stage a decoy before the race finished?

Neobie,
You know the answer to that. The flights from Tokyo-Narita to Honolulu do not allow anyone to arrive same day earlier than JO76. So, the question is could Kisha/Jen got off on Nov. 20? We start with the TBC for them slightly before midnight becoming Nov. 20. An Hours of Operation is highly likely, so tasks will be done that morning and they will be eliminated before noon. They could get on any of these flights to Narita with its matching NRT HNL flight shown:

NH906 1445 1915 paired with NW22 or NH 1072 or JO74
JL782 1520 1950 paired with NW22 or NH1052 or JO74
CA421 1640 2100 paired with maybe JO72

So it is feasible. Did they do so right after the back end of 2 TBC legs? I don't think so because they would not be getting any rest for 2 days straight. This isn't Amazing Race Asia. My guess is they ran decoy after the Finish Line.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #1565 on: April 30, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
My guess is they ran decoy after the Finish Line.

That's mine too.  I also looked at the weather site that Slowhatch cited and the weather matches up to the afternoon of Nov 22.

My last comment on the photo is that none of racers is wearing or carrying a light jacket like the two guys on the right.  If they were just getting off the plane, then at least some of them would also have a light jacket.

My guess is that this group of racers came straight from the finish line, possibly while the final 3 were conducting their post race interviews.

I saw that beautiful photo of the finish line that Georgia Peach posted.  I hope the "Maui Snow" wasn't falling on it when the winners crossed the line.

Offline FLFan

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1566 on: April 30, 2009, 05:45:58 PM »

I don't see any backpack straps and where would the pull-along suitcase come from. 

If you look at the last elimination station, all the teams were packing up their luggage. Some had the pull along suitcases and others had large duffle bags. Last race, TAR13, when Bill and Mark got to the elimination station in Mexico, their pull along suitcases were waiting for them in their room at the foot of their beds.

<snip>

I assumed that any additional luggage and such, not designated as backpack / race items, would only appear in your hotel room during the rest breaks, if or as allowed.  The racer would NOT be respsonsible for retrieving them, nor transporting them.  So why would a racer have regular luggage at that point?  If anyone else had suitcases or such, I would agree.

I took a group bus tour several years ago.  When I checked in at the tour, I was given luggage ID tags for each piece of non-hand carry items.  These tags were placed on the luggage.  Every morning that we traveled, you placed your labeled lugguage outside your hotel room, dropped your key off at the hotel desk, and went to breakfast with your hand-carried items.  While the group ate, the luggage was retrieved and place on the bus.  Once everyone ate we started touring.  As long as you and your lugguage were OUT of your room by the appointed time, you never had to worry about your luggage.  I basically assumed that any allowed additional personal luggage would be treated the same by race support staff - whether you got to see it during rest breaks or not at all until you were eliminated.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #1567 on: April 30, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

<snip>

Well, the same thoughts I have had. Maybe that is where those numbered tags come in. When team #6 is eliminated, the the luggage with #6 tags are pulled out of the pile and sent with the respective team to ES. Personally, I don't think those two guys have anything to do with the race. But I do like the idea of after finish line decoying by the group. They could have had the other 4 eliminated teams somewhere else doing the same thing.

That will be a good question for TARcon. Do the teams have access to their "associated luggage" while still in the race?

I assumed that any additional luggage and such, not designated as backpack / race items, would only appear in your hotel room during the rest breaks, if or as allowed.  The racer would NOT be respsonsible for retrieving them, nor transporting them.  So why would a racer have regular luggage at that point?  If anyone else had suitcases or such, I would agree.

I took a group bus tour several years ago.  When I checked in at the tour, I was given luggage ID tags for each piece of non-hand carry items.  These tags were placed on the luggage.  Every morning that we traveled, you placed your labeled lugguage outside your hotel room, dropped your key off at the hotel desk, and went to breakfast with your hand-carried items.  While the group ate, the luggage was retrieved and place on the bus.  Once everyone ate we started touring.  As long as you and your lugguage were OUT of your room by the appointed time, you never had to worry about your luggage.  I basically assumed that any allowed additional personal luggage would be treated the same by race support staff - whether you got to see it during rest breaks or not at all until you were eliminated.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #1568 on: April 30, 2009, 11:10:39 PM »

My guess is that this group of racers came straight from the finish line, possibly while the final 3 were conducting their post race interviews.

The photo was apparently not taken after the Mat.  Friday AM remains a real possibility.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline tigellinus

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #1569 on: May 01, 2009, 07:49:08 AM »
I gotta be honest...win or lose (and frankly at this point the edit and other sources point to an obvious V/T win here, which is cool), but the best thing about C/J in the Final 3?!...*FINALLY* getting to see Jaime and Cara in glorious HD on the Early Show Monday morning!!  ;D

Even if the segment will only last 4 minutes and no one can really look their best getting up before 6:00 am.

Offline Ashe

• RFF Sr. Member
    • Black Crystal Battlers
« Reply #1570 on: May 01, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »
I gotta be honest...win or lose (and frankly at this point the edit and other sources point to an obvious V/T win here, which is cool)
No, it's not.  Because the key word is "obvious."  I hate "obvious."
Jamison

Eleven teams race around the world for $1,000,000 on The Amazing Race 14!  Sundays at 8/7 Central on CBS!

Offline Jobby

• TAR & RFF Fanatic
  • TAR Detectives
  • I Live at RFF
  • HEHEHEHEHEHE
« Reply #1571 on: May 01, 2009, 11:02:34 AM »
I gotta be honest...win or lose (and frankly at this point the edit and other sources point to an obvious V/T win here, which is cool)

I think there is no such think as an "obvious" edit. If not TK and Rachel would not have won. So what's the big deal with "obvious" and hating it, when there's no such thing as an "obvious" edit on TAR? :res:

Offline gator27

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1572 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:32 PM »

I think there is no such think as an "obvious" edit. If not TK and Rachel would not have won. So what's the big deal with "obvious" and hating it, when there's no such thing as an "obvious" edit on TAR? :res:

Editing is related to how interesting you are at the moment, not necessarily how you finish.

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #1573 on: May 01, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »
Got my copy of the latest Entertainment Weekly today. Their 'tv picks for the week of May 4-10' section has a big mention and picture of Margie and Luke in the recommendations for the May 10 episode, and EW has had those kind of light spoilers before this season in that section (ie. the magazine showing showing Mel and Mike would make it to Russia #2 arrived at my house before Russia #1 aired)

In their Must list section earlier in the issue, Luke, Margie, Jamie, and, oddly enough, Kisha and Jen get mentioned as part of Must #4 for the week. (Race season finale) Tammy and Victor are mentioned in neither blurb. So Margie and Luke are almost certainly through to the finale, and I'd say that if Must #4 is referring to the actual finale episode (and they seem to be getting earlier screeners this year) then the picture upthread might indeed be a shot filmed after the finish.

Offline walkingpneumonia

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Administrator
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #1574 on: May 01, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »
Curious - did anyone else notice the title of the book the guy is holding?
You can see it better in this "enhanced" version... :smoke
From there to here, and here to there,
funny things are everywhere