Author Topic: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation on Spoilers  (Read 674365 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation and Sightings!
« Reply #800 on: January 26, 2009, 04:50:32 PM »
 I felt left out   ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #801 on: January 26, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
This was based on a press release and NOT an interview, and all of the press releases should be the same, and no one else's (including ours) says Serbia.

So really, I think it is a mis-hearing/understanding of Siberia.

But since you never know, I am working on follow up.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #802 on: January 26, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hTmuNBAmvhqFyktmDnblV-lOdq8QD95UT4D00

Hmm... Twelve episodes.  Maybe a double leg.  Or maybe 12 legs.  Or maybe it is just false.
 :ascared

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #803 on: January 26, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
or maybe a recap leg? or typo lol

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #804 on: January 26, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
I have been trying to find out more about the wooden backpacks they are using here

I haven't been able to find a really close match yet, but it seems that they are a traditional Swiss German Räf defined here as
"A frame for carrying objects on one’s back, with which one can balance cumbersome and heavy loads over the centre line of the body, thus making them easier to carry."
The picture on this page here has been removed, but I think the comment is referring to the same piece of apparatus
"The wooden backpack is also used for carrying the large cheeses down into the valley."

The closest image match I have been able to find is on ebay

Link

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #805 on: January 26, 2009, 05:49:10 PM »
Olympic-sized challenge that leaves Teams gasping for air shouts swimming challenge to me, hopefully at the Olympic pool site:  the "Water Cube".

Maybe as a possible task, teams have to swim and complete all eight Olympic races that Phelps won gold in.

That would be an Olympic-sized task -- and one that would leave teams gasping for air -- literally!

Belle Book

Offline Glamazon Racer

• "Expelliarmus"
  • Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Don't wanna go to heaven without raising hell. ♥
« Reply #806 on: January 26, 2009, 06:40:34 PM »
This was based on a press release and NOT an interview, and all of the press releases should be the same, and no one else's (including ours) says Serbia.

So really, I think it is a mis-hearing/understanding of Siberia.

But since you never know, I am working on follow up.

Just guessing here, but if they did want to stick to the Olympic-theme in this season, Serbia competed for the first time as an independant nation in the 2008 Olympics. That could explain why they would want to go there in this season in particular. Just speculating, though.
I'd rather walk alone than let them throw dirty confetti. ♥

Offline mjriches2005

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #807 on: January 26, 2009, 07:06:49 PM »
Since theres only eight out of nine countries listed (USA, Switzerland, Austria, Romania, Russia, India, Thailand, and China) so the only thing that's missing is the last country since Siberia is technically a region in the Asian part of Russia.  The only countries that would fit the missing locale would be either Germany part of the Salzburg-Romania leg but doubt it since Salzburg has an airport with connections to Germany.  Liechtenstein between Switzerland and Austria count it as part of Leg 2 on the way to Salzburg.  Also Phil being sighted in Delhi doesn't really mean Delhi will be visited again, he might be in transit to another city in India and the only places that haven't got any attention in India on the Amazing Race are Triviandrum (on the very southern tip of the India peninisula mainland), Hyderabad, and Bangalore.  Also maybe the TAR producers and creators need some public input on what they should do for the next season (15) if it gets a greenlight despite the economic downturn.   ;)

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #808 on: January 26, 2009, 08:09:26 PM »
Someone over at SurvivorSucks pointed out that the woman in the Phuket picture could be Margie (the mom from the mother/son team).  I'm leaning toward that as well.  Look at the facial structure and the small pony tail.  In the cab ride in the other pictures below, she is wearing her hair in the little pony tail and the chin and nose to me, match up.   What do you guys think?

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #809 on: January 26, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »
I have been trying to find out more about the wooden backpacks they are using here

I haven't been able to find a really close match yet, but it seems that they are a traditional Swiss German Räf defined here as
"A frame for carrying objects on one’s back, with which one can balance cumbersome and heavy loads over the centre line of the body, thus making them easier to carry."
The picture on this page here has been removed, but I think the comment is referring to the same piece of apparatus
"The wooden backpack is also used for carrying the large cheeses down into the valley."

:jumpy: Found the missing pic. I think it's a match

http://photo.net/general-comments/image-attachment?comment_id=13919536

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #810 on: January 26, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »
I love the Detectives! :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:
Just here to visit.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #811 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »
That's a very strange combination: umpah band, beer, and tortes (cakes) all in one location.  Is there a choice of tasks?  Guzzle x number of steins of beer or smash x number of cakes?  In any case, what a waste.  And look at all the cakes, a heck of a lot more than one per team.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
Re: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation on Spoilers
« Reply #812 on: January 26, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »
That's a very strange combination: umpah band, beer, and tortes (cakes) all in one location.  Is there a choice of tasks?  Guzzle x number of steins of beer or smash x number of cakes?  In any case, what a waste.  And look at all the cakes, a heck of a lot more than one per team.

I know!!  Who would choose cakes over beer?!!! I wouldn't.   :lol:

:jam:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #813 on: January 27, 2009, 12:04:32 AM »
Remember Gus loving the German beer in TAR6? "This beer is gooooood!" :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #814 on: January 27, 2009, 12:50:17 AM »
A rough estimate, using Delhi as the Indian location, gives us 22225 miles. (All predicted flight connections, through Frankfurt, Munich and Moscow for example, HAVE been included.) Novosibirsk, which has direct flights to Delhi, has been placed after Krasnojarsk, which doesn't.

Adding a flight back to Moscow before heading to India pumps the figure up to 24797 miles. Adding another return trip from Delhi to the bottom of the subcontinent makes it 27255.

Previous CBS estimates have been generous, but we're still far from 40000 miles. What could account for those missing frequent flier points? A finish line that comes AFTER Hawaii in the Continental US?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:00:52 AM by Neobie »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #815 on: January 27, 2009, 01:40:34 AM »
The blogger never got back to us Neobie .... maybe Phil was fliming final stand ups in Hawaii? And why would Phil give out that info or any of his crew?

Sadly, no on could be bothered to listen as we sprinted between two terminals (sent from one to the other and then back via a 10 minute shuttle bus each way). Three airlines, twelve “customer service” representatives and multiple people yelling at each other in Mandarin later we found ourselves on an Air China flight back to Tokyo.  We’re still not sure why or what they were screaming but it seemed to be the norm for the airport.  That said, it was a lovely airport.

During this ordeal we couldn’t help but notice two groups of travelers flashing American passports being flanked by their own teams of cameramen looking a little too giddy to be at the airport in Beijing at 8am. Oddly enough, it seems that we found ourselves in the middle of  CBS’ “Amazing Race” with two teams on our flight.  Without giving too much away, I can assure you that all of the panic and suspense of the actual show comes from some really great editing.  On this particular day we found ourselves watching the double mint twins in matching sweatshirts, bleached teeth and badly dyed red hair preen the entire time for the cameras.

Still we had quite a ways to go and even bumped into the host Phil Keoghan as he waited for his flight to film the finale in Hawaii.  It’s important to note that the running, fighting and begging for seats that you see on TV didn’t really happen and oh yeah, Phil flies business class.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #816 on: January 27, 2009, 07:24:37 AM »
A rough estimate, using Delhi as the Indian location, gives us 22225 miles. (All predicted flight connections, through Frankfurt, Munich and Moscow for example, HAVE been included.) Novosibirsk, which has direct flights to Delhi, has been placed after Krasnojarsk, which doesn't.

Adding a flight back to Moscow before heading to India pumps the figure up to 24797 miles. Adding another return trip from Delhi to the bottom of the subcontinent makes it 27255.

Previous CBS estimates have been generous, but we're still far from 40000 miles. What could account for those missing frequent flier points? A finish line that comes AFTER Hawaii in the Continental US?

First of all, there is not time for another leg and there is supposedly not a 13th leg. On Nov. 22, when teams should reach Hawaii, it was the 23rd day of the race. The race cannot continue on the mainland.

The best answer I can give you is a question of whether you used statute miles (always the way airlines report them) or regular miles. The difference is about 15% if you used air miles and World Race Productions used regular miles (which I would do if I were producing the Amazing Race).

Offline selkie

• RFF Jr. Member
« Reply #817 on: January 27, 2009, 11:08:02 AM »
Olympic-sized challenge that leaves Teams gasping for air shouts swimming challenge to me, hopefully at the Olympic pool site:  the "Water Cube".

Maybe as a possible task, teams have to swim and complete all eight Olympic races that Phelps won gold in.

That would be an Olympic-sized task -- and one that would leave teams gasping for air -- literally!

Belle Book

Considering how many competitive swimmers would struggle to complete a long coures 400 IM or 200 fly, my guess for a swimming-based task would be some short relay like they did with the kids running in Arfica in TAR 6, or else something like doing  800 meters of freestyle, which is far more doable for a casual swimmer if they take their time and rest on the walls or lane lines as needed. That one could not only really separate out the field because ability levels can vary so much, but you can also make the other racer hold the lap cards and that makes for a fun visual.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #818 on: January 27, 2009, 01:18:45 PM »
The blogger never got back to us Neobie .... maybe Phil was fliming final stand ups in Hawaii? And why would Phil give out that info or any of his crew?

Sadly, no on could be bothered to listen as we sprinted between two terminals (sent from one to the other and then back via a 10 minute shuttle bus each way). Three airlines, twelve “customer service” representatives and multiple people yelling at each other in Mandarin later we found ourselves on an Air China flight back to Tokyo.  We’re still not sure why or what they were screaming but it seemed to be the norm for the airport.  That said, it was a lovely airport.

During this ordeal we couldn’t help but notice two groups of travelers flashing American passports being flanked by their own teams of cameramen looking a little too giddy to be at the airport in Beijing at 8am. Oddly enough, it seems that we found ourselves in the middle of  CBS’ “Amazing Race” with two teams on our flight.  Without giving too much away, I can assure you that all of the panic and suspense of the actual show comes from some really great editing.  On this particular day we found ourselves watching the double mint twins in matching sweatshirts, bleached teeth and badly dyed red hair preen the entire time for the cameras.

[

Does this point a finger at the "double mint twins" as being one of the final 3 teams on the way to Hawaii?  Or are have they been eliminated and just travelling along with the final three?  Two teams and Phil? This almost seems more like two eliminated teams rather than final three teams.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #819 on: January 27, 2009, 02:48:18 PM »
Gman, I see it the way you do. Any teams traveling with Phil are likely to be eliminated teams that did not fit into the Sequesterville. The final 3 teams would be travelliing together, almost always on the same plane, and well behind Phil. He gets a 12 to 36 hour head start after the penultimate leg.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #820 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:33 PM »

Belle Book

Considering how many competitive swimmers would struggle to complete a long coures 400 IM or 200 fly, my guess for a swimming-based task would be some short relay like they did with the kids running in Arfica in TAR 6, or else something like doing  800 meters of freestyle, which is far more doable for a casual swimmer if they take their time and rest on the walls or lane lines as needed. That one could not only really separate out the field because ability levels can vary so much, but you can also make the other racer hold the lap cards and that makes for a fun visual.

Yeah, that's probably the best possibility but the idea of having teams swim and compete in all eight races would be funny!

Belle Book

Offline password

• Village Idiot
  • RFF Jr. Member
Re: The Amazing Race 14 Locations, spoiler summary on page 1
« Reply #821 on: January 27, 2009, 05:54:10 PM »
The Summary feature 8 countries but the press release said 9 countries? Am i missing anything or did CBS include Siberia as one country.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #822 on: January 27, 2009, 09:04:25 PM »
password, the countries in AR14 are Switzerland, Austria, Romania, Russia's Siberia macro-region, India, Thailand, China and the United States. I count 8. The article saying 9 included Serbia, which is almost certainly not true.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #823 on: January 27, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
My first HD commercial! Its pretty intense!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOMj2b0N6w#

<<HD toggle

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #824 on: January 27, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »
apskip, i believe the original press release also said 9, not just that article. Puddin and I were talking about this, remember how BVM said they will visit 2 countries in Africa? and what they did was visit Burkino Faso wice? I think it is something like that, maybe the two Siberian legs, or else they count Russia and Siberia maybe?

Just thoughts, there could still be somewhere out there, I want Burma!! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.