Author Topic: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation on Spoilers  (Read 674336 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation and Sightings!
« Reply #700 on: January 23, 2009, 09:55:05 PM »
oh boy, a new toy! Can you get there thru a geohack+city/place port too?? Can't seem to it do it...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #701 on: January 23, 2009, 10:20:58 PM »
incoming

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #702 on: January 23, 2009, 10:27:52 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #703 on: January 23, 2009, 10:29:03 PM »

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #704 on: January 23, 2009, 10:35:05 PM »
This is looking like a great first leg!
 :yess:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #705 on: January 23, 2009, 10:36:08 PM »
Could this be off the coast of California? Maybe are they helicoptering in off the coast on the way to Los Alamitos? ???
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #706 on: January 23, 2009, 10:38:41 PM »
Could this be off the coast of California? Maybe are they helicoptering in off the coast on the way to Los Alamitos? ???

They will probably ride army helicopters to the starting line. I don't think they are skydiving there however.  The mountains aren't really that tall looking.  The helicopters also look different in both the pictures.
 ???
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:53:27 PM by Snooky101 »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #707 on: January 23, 2009, 10:43:13 PM »
when ready!

<< HQuality toggle
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:59:57 PM by puddin »

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #708 on: January 23, 2009, 10:49:42 PM »

I think you hit the nail right on the head Peach. Similiar to All Stars, where you guys found the assembly point on that tiny island and then they rode the cigarette boats to the start line. I think in TAR14, they assemble someplace and then ride the Navy/Marine helicopters up the coast to the start line at the Los Alamitos Airfield.

Btw, all the helicopters are the same Navy/Marine Sea Stallions.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:58:28 PM by DrRox »
Matthew 7:15

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #709 on: January 23, 2009, 10:56:57 PM »
I think TAR7 did it the same way ....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7VfMDfYmFY

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #710 on: January 23, 2009, 10:58:59 PM »
I'm not sure but the coastline looks very similiar. Look here and see what y'all think? NOT saying Catalina, but looks similiar and you can click on some of the other aerials around the area. (look in the upper righthand corner)

http://www.airviews.com/catalinaPage/catalina2.html

Plus remember BVM said they do a "death defying task" right off the bat? That's been bugging me, leg 2 isn't right off the bat...

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #711 on: January 23, 2009, 11:01:27 PM »
Pretty close Pudding. I think in TAR7, they assembled at Los Alamitos Airfield and helicoptered over to that park next to the Queen Mary for the start line, if I am not mistaken.  In that one they used Army Blackhawk helicopters.

Using Los Alamitos, gives TPTB some added security in that the normal public will not have access to the starting line.

Peach, that is the coast line of California going south from Los Angeles toward San Diego.....Orange County, etc. Though it is a little far down the coast, the Marines have a base at Camp Pendleton in Oceanside and the Navy has big airbase at Miramar that could be assembly points for those Sea Stallions to take off from,. Remember in the early days, it was speculated that start was in San Diego. It could be that the assembly point for the racers were on one of those military bases. Again the military base gives them security from the public. But they could land and take off those helicopters just from just about any airport in the area or even a golf course. Those shots of the helicopters in the promo are flying south to north up the California coastline, ie, from the direction of San Diego to Los Angeles.

I was thinking that death defying stunt was the bungee off the dam, their first morning in Europe.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 11:24:32 PM by DrRox »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #712 on: January 23, 2009, 11:17:12 PM »
TAR7 was Edwards AFB in California fwiw

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #713 on: January 23, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »
Thanks puddin, I had always heard it was Los Alamitos and since I have been here, I never went back to TAR 7 to look at the archives. But is isnt really any farther from Edwards AFB to Long Beach as it is from Camp Pendelton Marine Base to Los Alamitos.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #714 on: January 23, 2009, 11:39:17 PM »

I was thinking that death defying stunt was the bungee off the dam, their first morning in Europe.
Agreed, the heli is for filming the action/bungee only

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #715 on: January 23, 2009, 11:43:50 PM »
??? I'm confused. Where does Edwards come in? The Bell helos in TAR7 flew around the Palos Verdes peninsula, and the promo caps look similar (compare with the Portuguese Bend area). But I haven't seen an assembly point. Producers like to drop the racers out of the sky, then show the bio clips.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #716 on: January 23, 2009, 11:47:02 PM »
There was a spoiler back in TAR7 that the race had started at Edwards AFB, here Slowhatch.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #717 on: January 24, 2009, 12:10:26 AM »
In TAR7, the helicopters flew north to south along the California coast to Long Beach, which makes sense if they were coming from Edwards.

But in the promos from TAR14, it appears to me that the helicopters are flying south to north along the coast in the area down by Laguna Beach and Dana Point and areas south of there. Thats all I am saying. 

In looking at Google Earth, it is probably half as far from Camp Pendleton in Oceanside to Los Alamitos as it is from Edwards AFB to Long Beach. Those helicopters have MARINES on the side and Pendleton is a Marine Base.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:54:12 AM by DrRox »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #718 on: January 24, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
Here's my thinking on this:
1. The views of an island have to be Santa Catalina Island(aka Catalina), which is off the coast of California about 30 miles. Here is: Catalina Island Map

2. The key issue is not where the helicopers come from, but where the teams embark from.
3. Choices for embarkation point include the military base where the helicopters originate(Los Alamitos, El Toro or San Clemente Island military base airports); a private high-speed boat to take the teams from somewhere on the nearby coast to Avalon or Two Villages(only villages on Santa Catalina); or commercial high-speed catamaran lines that go from  the Long Beach/Queen Mary/Dana Point and from Marina Del Rey area (near Los Angeles International Airport) to Avalon and Two Villages, or from Newport Beach by high-speed catamaran to Avalon or by flying into any Catalina heiport from Long Beach or San Pedro on commercial flights.
4. So here is a scenario which works:
a. Helicopters orginate from Los Alamitos and fly to a heliport(there are two I have found, one called Avaon Bay and the other nearer to Two Villages is Avalo Vor/WP) on Catalina where teams are waiting.
b. Teams could arrive by any of the methods discussed above.
c. Teams could do their death-defying stunt somewhere over the ocean.
d. Then there is the option of taking teams to the mainland on the military helicopters or commercial helicopters or putting them on the catamaran to Marina Del Rey or flying them back on a commercial helicopter. I like the catamaran to Marina del Rey option best here.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #719 on: January 24, 2009, 09:28:57 AM »
Oh.... Now I get it!  So the helicopter in the background of the bungee is just a bad mistake by the producers...

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #720 on: January 24, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »
This picture was taken here at Point Fermin.  Panoramio1  Panoramio2

At least that is my vote!   :snicker:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #721 on: January 24, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
Nice job, Chateau!! :jumpy:

So on the way from________ to Los Alamitos?
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #722 on: January 24, 2009, 07:42:08 PM »
I agree with Chateau, that picture looks like the coastline along San Pedro and Palos Verdes. 

Nice job, Chateau!!

So on the way from________ to Los Alamitos?

San Pedro is in the opposite direction of Los Alamitos base.    I haven't seen the clip yet but if the coast in shown and the helicopter is moving left to right of the screen then yes they are flying to Los Al.  If the clip shows them flying toward that area then I don't know where they are flying.   :lol:  that would be up the rest of the LA coast toward LAX, Santa Monica, etc.

Of course if they are flying from Catalina island would mean that they may see that part of the San Pedro coast even though it is a little bit more north.  they could do sort of a fly by.  It would be to the left of them.

Here's an overview showing Catalina and the coast from San Predro down to Orange County.  I marked the location Los Al base and the San Pedro coast which we suspect the picture is of. 

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2009, 07:50:37 PM »
Thanks Colby! That's a help! :waves:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #724 on: January 24, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
I took a look at the latest clip and I'm leaning toward they contestants loading up onto the helicopters in San Diego and flying up the coast. Perhaps the clip of the San Pedro coastline could just be extra footage they shot.  

Or as they flew up the coast, they looped out toward the ocean  when they got near Huntington beach and looped back in  and flew over Seal Beach toward Los Alamitos base.  That could explain how a camera would get that direct shot of the San Pedro coastline a shown in the clip.