Author Topic: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation on Spoilers  (Read 674452 times)

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 14 Speculation and Sightings!
« Reply #500 on: January 09, 2009, 12:29:20 AM »
Can't find this..
Will this work?

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #501 on: January 09, 2009, 01:09:55 AM »

http://www.wwrexpo.net/2004/sh-wings.htm

OK. I'll go with Boeing C17 Globemaster III manufactured for the U.S. Air Force and the starting line is at the Los Alamitos Joint Forces Training Base.  :jam:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2009, 02:13:51 AM »
Awesome, banzai!! :jam:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2009, 02:32:12 AM »
Very nice banzai  :jumpy:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »
Something has been bothering me in regard to the Siberian cities that were probably involved in AR14. It is the eyewitness report of seeing Phil in Delhi airport either in the early hours of Saturday Nov.15 or the early hours of Sunday Nov. 16(it is not clear to me which although maybe something else can clarify this). Why this is important is because with the ultimate destination of Phuket and the intermediate transit point of Bangkok we need a resonable path to get both Phil there and the teams there on time on Nov. 16. So, how do you get from Siberia to Bangkok and from Siberia to Delhi to Bangkok?

When I examine the possible routes with minimum flying times it narrows quickly down to Moscow. It is easy for the teams to get to Bangkok. They have to get SVO BKK SU553 1940 0905+1 , then BKK HKT TG1205 1030 1150. The problem is with Phil, because he would not want to be traveling with the teams. My guess is that he has a 36 hour lead due to an extended rest stop. So what would that allow him to do? One possibility is to get to Moscow(to be addressed below) on Nov. 14 in time for SU555 SVO DEL 1850 0330+1, connecting with DEL BKK TG724 1155 1725 and then with BKK HKT TG223 1820 1940. To do this he must have been unable to get the Moscow to Bangkok flight SU553 on Nov. 14, which should have been his first choice but could have been full.

The next question is how teams could get to Moscow-Sheremetyevo for these connections. Here are the possiblities that fit(although all have long connect times in Moscow):

Best is Irkutsk IKT SVO SU748 1400 1525
Novosibirsk    OVB SVO 5N808 1055 1210
Krasnojarsk    KJA  SVO SU782 1040 1145
Ulan Ude        UUD DME S7116 0840 1105 Note: this one goes to Domodedovo airport; ground transportation is   required to get to Sheremetyevo airport, probably about 2 hours away by taxi.

If anyone else can solve the puzzle of Phil in Delhi airport, then speak up. One possibility is that teams were in Siberia around Nov. 9/10 but moved on to one or two other places down toward Delhi on the way to Bangkok. I would love for one of those places to be Kathmandu.

Offline ZBC Company

• aka spoler
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #505 on: January 09, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »
hoever guese it say it not los angles

Offline Dånooky

• RFF's Wasabi Bomber
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #506 on: January 09, 2009, 07:41:10 PM »
(...)The problem is with Phil, because he would not want to be traveling with the teams. (...)
Although they try to keep Phil ahead of the teams, I remember having read that there's been several times when Phil travels in the same flight with the contestants (albeit in First Class), so perhaps this is the case?
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #507 on: January 09, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »
That's very possible.

It happens more often than most think (Including in some cases, such as TAR 7, the final leg)

So it sounds like a distinct possibility.

Offline harley

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #508 on: January 11, 2009, 04:26:34 AM »
Regarding the jet engine from Phil's picture:

My brother flies 757s and 767s, so I asked him to take a look.  According to him, it could be a 757 or possibly a 737 engine.  He doesn't usually do the walk-around and there are several different engines certified to be used for 757s.  He 's fairly sure that it's not a Rolls Royce engine, but thinks it might be a Pratt & Whitney with a small possibility that it's a GE.  He said he could tell better if he could see the cone that Phil is blocking.  He's pretty positive the engine is not from the military plane because he thinks those engines are actually bigger than the one in Phil's picture.

The little gizmo just under Phil's right hand is an air inflow sensor.  There's another one on the back of the engine that measures the air outflow and combined this gives a reading of how much thrust the engine is producing.

He thought the picture could have been an engine at a maintenance facility (the engine would be detached from the plane and easier to get to - and easier for a picture to be made); or it could be a prop from a studio lot; or possibly a privately-owned jet (there's a private 757 at the Burbank airport that parks next to where my brother parks when they land that is available to be leased).  Or as one poster mentioned, it could be from a museum.

OK.  Way too much info, I know.  You just can't shut up me or my brother when we're talking about things we're into.
Dear Lord: So far today, I'm doing alright. I have not gossiped, lost my temper, been greedy, grumpy, selfish or nasty. I have not gossiped, cursed, whined or eaten chocolate. However, I am going to get out of bed in a minute, and will need a lot more help then. Amen.

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #509 on: January 11, 2009, 03:25:04 PM »
OK.  Way too much info, I know.  You just can't shut up me or my brother when we're talking about things we're into.

Thanks a heap for this info Harley. There's no such thing as too much info when sleuthing...sometimes it's the little details that make the difference.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #510 on: January 11, 2009, 06:38:23 PM »
That's fabulous Harley!! Thank you! :kuss:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #511 on: January 12, 2009, 12:35:37 PM »
Regarding the jet engine from Phil's picture:

My brother flies 757s and 767s, so I asked him to take a look.  According to him, it could be a 757 or possibly a 737 engine.  He doesn't usually do the walk-around and there are several different engines certified to be used for 757s.  He 's fairly sure that it's not a Rolls Royce engine, but thinks it might be a Pratt & Whitney with a small possibility that it's a GE.  He said he could tell better if he could see the cone that Phil is blocking.  He's pretty positive the engine is not from the military plane because he thinks those engines are actually bigger than the one in Phil's picture.

Actually the C-17 and the 757 have the same engine installed, the PW2000 manufactured by Pratt & Whitney.  Since the C-17 is  a military aircarft, they designated the engines as a F117-PW-100.  However it is pretty much the same engine. 

He thought the picture could have been an engine at a maintenance facility (the engine would be detached from the plane and easier to get to - and easier for a picture to be made); or it could be a prop from a studio lot; or possibly a privately-owned jet (there's a private 757 at the Burbank airport that parks next to where my brother parks when they land that is available to be leased).  Or as one poster mentioned, it could be from a museum.

I don't think it is a maintenance facility.  It if is, then the engine is still attached to the airplane.   Phil is standing on the inlet which means the picture was taken on an actual airplane.  If the engine was not attached to the airplane then the inlet area where Phil is standing wouldn't be present.   The only place I have ever seen an engine with the entire Nacelle attached is at a Training Facility, e.g.  on-site at Pratt & Whitney.  However, it is possible that a major maintenance facility could have such a set up.

I believe the picture was taken on an actual aircraft.  If the rumor/spoiler about Los Alamitos base being the starting point then I would say that is the most convenient place for a picture like this one.  It would have to be some place where an aircraft was parked for a period of time.  Getting access to an airplane is not an easy thing. I've had instances where for whatever reason I needed access to a domestic aircraft and I had to plan ahead and go at a time when the aircraft wasn't in rotation (meaning being worked on at the airport facility and is down for the night or day and isn't scheduled for use for several hours).   That was usually late at night or early morning.

Also, it is possible that when they were in Seattle  that the pic was taken at one of the Boeing facilities. However, that would mean it isn't a 757 since the 757 is no longer in production.  However, with planning, contacting the Boeing Media department,  time for production to get access to an airplane  for pictures could be done.  I recall a few years ago, Maroon 5 was onsite at my facility for promotional pictures of them in front on an aircraft or the aircraft engines (I don't recall the specifics). 

Therefore, I think is is highly likely the picture was either scheduled or was taken during a long downtime at a facility where production was set up for a long period of time like they were most likely for at Los Al.

At any rate, that's my 2 cents.  Now it's out in the open....I work for Boeing and I deal specifically with engines.  :lol:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #512 on: January 12, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »
Nice info, colby! You guys are doing a great job!
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #513 on: January 12, 2009, 05:40:33 PM »
Thanks for the info harley and colby  :jam:
Lets think of a start line that might require contestants arriving on "boats"
And thanks to s1, this article tells us the Survivor cast should be revealed next week so we can probably be looking at the TAR cast soon as well but thats stating the obvious  :lol:

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #514 on: January 12, 2009, 06:09:07 PM »
If I remember correctly, they released the TAR cast like 2 days before the Survivor cast last time.

So, why boats?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #515 on: January 12, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »
If I remember correctly, they released the TAR cast like 2 days before the Survivor cast last time.

So, why boats?
Something I read but, the boats can also be used for any leg of the race, I'm guessing here.

Offline anon1akacolby

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Full Member
« Reply #516 on: January 12, 2009, 08:55:53 PM »
by boats? in the LA/OC area?  Well we could rule out Long Beach and Santa Monica since they've done those places already.  I doubt they would repeat those places.    San Pedro is where all the big  ships come into the LA harbor....however that's not very scenic.  Marina Del Rey....however that is way to close to LAX.  I would think they would start somewhere a little further away. 

In OC.....Newport maybe?  Lots of places where smaller boats (fishing, sail, yachts) come into.  Huntington Beach.....I can't think of any place around there boats can come in and out of.

Hmmmm, how about this....(thinking outside of the box).....since the final destination appears to be Hawaii, how about they start on an island?  Catalina island.  It's just off the coast.  There are boats/ferries that take people to and from the island daily.  I think it takes about an hour.  Those boats go to Marina Del Rey, Long Beach, and Newport Beach.  Though I can't say how often they run.  Of course they could rent them out and allow only the first 5 to come to the mainland on the first one at a set period and the other to leave 15-30 min later on the next one.  Or they could have boats with captains ready to take them to the mainland and it's a race to  a set point on the mainland with a bunch of boats.  There they would have cars waiting for them so they could drive themselves to the airport. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 08:59:57 PM by anon1akacolby »

Offline Neobie

• Amazing Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #517 on: January 12, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
*interrupting the starting line posts for a while*

If there is a perfect place for a Pit Stop in Guilin, TPTB found it!

This is the Peak of the Luminous Moon in the Folded Brocade Mountains, overlooking the city of Guilin from the north, and Pit Stop in a race around the world! (Less poetic official translators call it Bright Moon Peak.)

Production closed the entire compound from 6pm on the 17th (the usual time vendors pack up and go home), and stayed ON the hilltop the entire night. There was a TPTB security team of six. (Geez, how much security do you need?) The peak's really just a courtyard with a little shelter, but the views here are marvelous. According to those who witnessed production, they have been hanging around for two days beforehand (since the 15th), and finally set up lights and a few tents for the big event, on the night of the 17th.

The people I talked to remembered rain that afternoon, when a few members of production popped by. The main activity, though, started at around 9pm. About 50-60 sandwiches were catered for the night, and a huge crowd started streaming in from 12am to 3am. It's such a huge group those I've talked to couldn't differentiate between crew and cast, but I guess those are our racers! (So late?)

Word of caution to the racers:

PS Had the incredible luck to transit in Bangkok on the way home, and just happened to dig up something on Nickasingh's Phayathai Palace find! Your guess: US, Israel or Asia?

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=17788.0;attach=111299;image
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 07:47:10 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #518 on: January 12, 2009, 10:37:13 PM »
Outstanding detective work Neobie!  :yess: :jumpy:  .. waiting for more Bangkok :popcorn:

eta: oh duh Nickasingh

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #519 on: January 12, 2009, 10:53:32 PM »
Wow, Neobie!! That looks awesome!!  :jumpy:  Beautiful place for a PitStop, but guess we might not see much at night!  :groan:

Any pictures??

You have been doing truly AMAZING Detective work!! Being temporarily "retired" :lol: seems to agree w/ you!  :hearts:

Pekin Express for Nickasingh, sadly "this be none of us"....
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #520 on: January 12, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »

Hmmmm, how about this....(thinking outside of the box).....since the final destination appears to be Hawaii, how about they start on an island?  Catalina island.  It's just off the coast.  There are boats/ferries that take people to and from the island daily.  I think it takes about an hour.  Those boats go to Marina Del Rey, Long Beach, and Newport Beach.  Though I can't say how often they run.  Of course they could rent them out and allow only the first 5 to come to the mainland on the first one at a set period and the other to leave 15-30 min later on the next one.  Or they could have boats with captains ready to take them to the mainland and it's a race to  a set point on the mainland with a bunch of boats.  There they would have cars waiting for them so they could drive themselves to the airport. 

Actually CBS/BB10 used Catalina island for a private/reward so thats not a bad guess colby.

Offline Coutzy

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Is it really that time again?
« Reply #521 on: January 13, 2009, 06:37:56 AM »
You said the rush was between 12am-3am.

Is it possible that they had the Pit Stop elsewhere and moved it? (AGAIN!)

Don't the lead teams usually check out around midnight/early morning?

Offline WalterC

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #522 on: January 13, 2009, 07:41:12 AM »
So basically, it is starting in the LA area once again, for the 3rd straight season. Maybe it's just me, but this, along with reduction of number of legs, and ending in a place that the race has been to 5 times, just shows the race could be reaching the end of the line.

What ever happened to starting in great places like the Nevada desert or the Everglades, or a variety of cities like Chicago or Denver? Now it has been reduced to Playboy Mansion, the LA Coliseum (which was a copycat of the TAR4 starting point), or an airfield (copycat of TAR12 ending point).

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #523 on: January 13, 2009, 08:23:01 AM »

So, why boats?
Something I read but, the boats can also be used for any leg of the race, I'm guessing here.
puddin, boats are probably going to be used on either a large lake or on the ocean. If we examine the known places already known for AR14, I coclude that the Salzkammergut adjacent to Salzburg and Phuket on the Gulf of Thailand and any island of Hawaii are the most probable places for use of a boat. The start of the race also provides such an opportunity.

Offline Snooky

• Beware of Spooks!
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Online Reality Games Yuniverse
« Reply #524 on: January 13, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
So basically, it is starting in the LA area once again, for the 3rd straight season. Maybe it's just me, but this, along with reduction of number of legs, and ending in a place that the race has been to 5 times, just shows the race could be reaching the end of the line.

What ever happened to starting in great places like the Nevada desert or the Everglades, or a variety of cities like Chicago or Denver? Now it has been reduced to Playboy Mansion, the LA Coliseum (which was a copycat of the TAR4 starting point), or an airfield (copycat of TAR12 ending point).

I agree with you WalterC. It is very annoyed and it seems like CBS is just getting lazy, and don't want to put the teams anywhere else but the LA metropolitan area.  What ever happened to those different and exotic places?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:40:34 PM by Snooky101 »