Author Topic: EP8:11/16 "I’m Like an Angry Cow"  (Read 119690 times)

Offline nathyn

• RFF Not So Newbie
Re: EP8:11/16 "I’m Like an Angry Cow"
« Reply #225 on: November 16, 2008, 10:55:20 PM »
FF menu. Too bad it doesn't say what the dish is.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »
You can see the regular menu HERE, just browse thru the choices on the upper right...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #227 on: November 16, 2008, 11:34:01 PM »
So could they have had something other than Sheep's Butt   :duno:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline nathyn

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #228 on: November 16, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »
BTW, on the insider clips, it seems like they cut out the forgot something important hint. Nick and Starr left their fanny pack at the restaurant (which ironically is what was predicted for T/S).

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #229 on: November 16, 2008, 11:44:24 PM »
The Amazing Race 13 - Rise and Shine ( the boys were in Dubai for 17 hours! Got there at 6 am left at 11 pm)
As the teams wake up after spending the night in Kazakhstan, frat boys Andrew and Dan finally arrive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTT-_58iasM

The Amazing Race 13 - Nick and Starr Slip Up
The siblings leave an important item at the restaurant and have to go back to retrieve it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMf066IRbKo

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #230 on: November 17, 2008, 12:17:56 AM »
ok - what i miss

been at the Madonna concert tonight  :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #231 on: November 17, 2008, 12:35:13 AM »
Boy are your priorities screwed! :lol3:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline girlracer265

• RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #232 on: November 17, 2008, 03:41:50 AM »
toni and dallas were hilarious in the cow costume. :wohoo:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #233 on: November 17, 2008, 10:19:43 AM »
I got chickens.  Finally.   :jumpy:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #234 on: November 17, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
Has anyone noted that our spoiler (many pages ago) noted that he saw a team at the Dubai airport? Looks like he must have seen Dan and Andrew since they were on a flight connecting there on the way to Almaty.  And all those flights must have taken up a lot of time via Frankfurt and Moscow.  For instance, the flight to Moscow left at 04.30 hours and reached Almaty at 01.20. hours the next day  So this accounts for one of our missing days.  We see shots of Nick and Starr and Dallas and Toni boarding two different airplanes, one of which is a daylight boarding.

Can't any of these teams read clues and instructions correctly?  Both Ken and Tina and Dan and Andrew really screwed up and could have been eliminated if Terrance and Sarah had quit the FF as soon as they saw what they had to eat.  But Terrance's determination cost them the game.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #235 on: November 17, 2008, 11:18:01 AM »
I think the Dubai sighting was May 6th? I'd have to look for it Gman.
Also Dan & Andrew were not racing to the chicken farm gates! It was edited to make it seem so.
When they are running they have red clue in hand and if you watch the insider clips they had time to mingle, the other racers slept in these Mongolian Huts, I can't remember what they are called.

The Amazing Race 13 - Rise and Shine ( the boys were in Dubai for 17 hours! Got there at 6 am left at 11 pm)
As the teams wake up after spending the night in Kazakhstan, frat boys Andrew and Dan finally arrive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTT-_58iasM

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #236 on: November 17, 2008, 11:59:53 AM »
Yurts

So a prime bunching here again...
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Black holes are where God divided by zero!!!
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #237 on: November 17, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »
Hello TAR Detectives,

What a great forum. You guys are amazing. I do have a question and hope this is the right place to add it. Does anyone know what kind of bird was used in the falonry? I am assuming it was a golden eagle due to the size and after doing some research on Kazak falonry sites. But, I am not an ornithologist, so it could be a large goshawk too. I read where they are doing breeding on goshawks to increase the size of the birds in Kazakstan. Thanks for your time.
Matthew 7:15

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #238 on: November 17, 2008, 03:13:24 PM »
Has anyone noted that our spoiler (many pages ago) noted that he saw a team at the Dubai airport? Looks like he must have seen Dan and Andrew since they were on a flight connecting there on the way to Almaty.  And all those flights must have taken up a lot of time via Frankfurt and Moscow.  For instance, the flight to Moscow left at 04.30 hours and reached Almaty at 01.20. hours the next day  So this accounts for one of our missing days.  We see shots of Nick and Starr and Dallas and Toni boarding two different airplanes, one of which is a daylight boarding.

Can't any of these teams read clues and instructions correctly?  Both Ken and Tina and Dan and Andrew really screwed up and could have been eliminated if Terrance and Sarah had quit the FF as soon as they saw what they had to eat.  But Terrance's determination cost them the game.

GMAN, you are confused on the flights times. I have SU634 to Moscow as actually leaving DELHI at 0450 even though it is now listed as 0430. It arrives in Moscow just before 0900 local time. The return flight LH648 left Moscow at 1320(your 1:20 pm is correct, just not for what you said) and arrived Almaty at 0110+1, 110am.
What accounts for a missisng day is a 36 hour extended pitstop after leg 7 in Delhi.

EDITOR'S NOTE - I was confused on this(thinking that i had it all in my head from the work done in this area when I did not have in my head error-free), as Chateau has noted above. It is Lufthansa 648 from Frankfurt that leaves at 1320. As stated in an earlier I have no route from Moscow to Almaty other than ones that are way too early or way too late for what. I will guess that Chateau is right about Turkish Airliens form Istanbul only because by reverse engineering there is nothign else that fits.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:08:00 PM by apskip »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #239 on: November 17, 2008, 03:24:34 PM »
Hello TAR Detectives,

What a great forum. You guys are amazing. I do have a question and hope this is the right place to add it. Does anyone know what kind of bird was used in the falonry? I am assuming it was a golden eagle due to the size and after doing some research on Kazak falonry sites. But, I am not an ornithologist, so it could be a large goshawk too. I read where they are doing breeding on goshawks to increase the size of the birds in Kazakstan. Thanks for your time.

:welcome2:  to RFF DrRox!

This references the Sunkar site that we think handled this, so a golden eagle seems very possible! I just assumed a falcon of some sort so now I am even more awed..

http://kazakhstan.orexca.com/eagle_hunting_kazakhstan.shtml

http://kazakhstan.orexca.com/hunting_golden_eagle.shtml
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2008, 03:26:12 PM »
Hello TAR Detectives,

Falcons Fly Home by Modern Means
Javid Hassan, Arab News

RIYADH, 18 May 2004 — In an effort to reintroduce 41 falcons into their natural habitat, a special mission will take off today to air freight the birds to the Central Asian republic of Kazakhstan at the initiative of Prince Sultan, second deputy premier and minister of defense and aviation.

Veterinary Dr. Jamie Samour, medical director of Fahd ibn Sultan Falcon Center, told Arab News that the falcons are being released into a protected area of Kazakhstan, where they originally came from.

The birds belong to a species known as Saker, indigenous to that country and are worth between SR5,000 and SR500,000 each.

Last year, 28 birds were flown to Kazakhstan under what is known as the Prince Sultan Falcon Release Program in Central Asia. Most of the birds were donated to Prince Sultan by Saudi hunters.

Why would anyone want to use eagles or goshawks as falcons when Kazakhstan received a gift of a select small number (28) of real falcons 4 years ago?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2008, 03:33:31 PM »
Hello TAR Detectives,

Welcome DrRox :hithere:. Moi knew it was a hunting eagle   :sucks

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2008, 03:35:26 PM »
Thanks puddin!!

Sounds like 10 centuries of well respected tradition to me:

Hunting with Golden Eagles is one of the most unique features of Kazakh life. The hunter is named kusbegi or berkutchi. The experience of wild bird training was gained by Kazakh kusbegi over centuries, the secrets being passed from the father to the son and kept secret. At the present time there are few people with such a name. These masters have an innate gift for training wild birds. For hunting they tame falcons, golden eagles and eagles. Names of birds are given depending on their appearance and battle characteristics. Hunting with Golden Eagles has been going on for ten centuries. To present a teenager with a nestling of a hunting bird was considered to wish to him to begin the courageous, strong dzhigit. To train a golden eagle is a high art. The caught bird gradually becomes accustomed to the owner. To do this, the berkutchi some nights doesn't close his eyes and prevents the golden eagle from sleeping. The bird can eat (bits of uncooked meat) only from the hands of the owner. Afterwards, the bird will get used to the hunter, his horse and dog, and the berkutchi begins to train it to hunt for stuffed fox; only after this the real hunting begins. Specially trained golden eagles hunt for small animals: rabbits, foxes, partridge, and black hazel grouses.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2008, 03:52:39 PM »
The return flight LH648 left Moscow at 1320(your 1:20 pm is correct, just not for what you said) and arrived Almaty at 0110+1, 110am.

I thought LH 648 was flying out of Frankfurt.

I think Terence & Sarah's trip from Moscow to Almaty made a stop in Istanbul.  It's the only flight that lands in Almaty at 1:20 am.   And we have the gate agent telling them that is the time when they land in Almaty.

Terence & Sara leaving May 9th  "It will be landing in Almaty at 1:20 in the night."
Take Aeroflot SU 536 leaving DEL at 4:30 am and arriving in SVO Moscow  at 9:30 am
Take Turkish Airlines TK 1414 leaving SVO at 1:40 pm and arriving in IST Istanbul at 3:55 pm
Take TK 1352  leaving IST at 5:00 pm and arriving in ALA at 1:20 am on May 10th

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome!!!!

Hello TAR Detectives,

Why would anyone want to use eagles or goshawks as falcons when Kazakhstan received a gift of a select small number (28) of real falcons 4 years ago?

I was pretty aware of people in the US using perigrine falcons and goshawks for hunting. Some people even use snow owls too. Apparently, snow owls have a pretty unique ability to bend their wings when flying through trees in the winter time to hunt. I have seen nature documentaries about this in areas where there is lots of birch type tree forests. After doing some internet research last night and this morning, the term "falconry" seems to have become a pretty generic term for using birds of prey to hunt and not specific to using only "falcons". When I was watching last night, I was sort of shocked at the size of that bird. I mean, it was huge. It seems they use the golden eagles to hunt small animals, up to the size of roe deer. As stated above, over ten centuries of use of birds of prey in Central Asia. It also makes sense that they would develop ties with the Arab bedouins. The flat treeless terrane makes perfect use for using birds of prey to hunt food.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2008, 05:24:22 PM »
Chateau this is from the Intouch article that marigold just posted in T/S's thread....

Sarah: We were really happy. What they didn't show on the episode last night was that we couldn't get on the flight with everyone else. We were stuck at the airport. We knew Dan and Andrew got on a crappy flight, but that was even better than what we had, which was nothing.
Terence: We almost got stuck in Moscow.
Sarah: Yeah. I felt like a lot of flights would go to Kazakhstan from Moscow, so we just needed to get ourselves to Moscow. I figured we could figure out how to get to Kazakhstan from there. In Moscow, for various reasons, we weren't allowed to leave immigration. When we couldn't get on another flight we became concerned we'd have to go back to India. By the time we arrived at the chicken factory we assumed we were so much farther behind all the other teams. When we saw them standing there we were very relieved.
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2008, 08:36:24 PM »
FF menu. Too bad it doesn't say what the dish is.

That's probably why Terence didn't realize it was a meat dish.  It was a trap which got him.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2008, 08:51:38 PM »
In their interviews Sarah and Terence would not have gone for the Fast Forward had they known it was  eating meat.

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2008, 09:51:43 PM »
Chateau this is from the Intouch article that marigold just posted in T/S's thread....

Sarah: We were really happy. What they didn't show on the episode last night was that we couldn't get on the flight with everyone else. We were stuck at the airport. We knew Dan and Andrew got on a crappy flight, but that was even better than what we had, which was nothing.
Terence: We almost got stuck in Moscow.
Sarah: Yeah. I felt like a lot of flights would go to Kazakhstan from Moscow, so we just needed to get ourselves to Moscow. I figured we could figure out how to get to Kazakhstan from there. In Moscow, for various reasons, we weren't allowed to leave immigration. When we couldn't get on another flight we became concerned we'd have to go back to India. By the time we arrived at the chicken factory we assumed we were so much farther behind all the other teams. When we saw them standing there we were very relieved.

Since their routing through Moscow was not planned ahead they did not have visas for entry into the Russian Federation, therefore they could not leave immigration.

TPTB must have had visas for all of the teams to enter Russia at a later date since a stop in Moscow was planned before the race actually started.  But these visas are held by the production team and the teams do not know where they will be going in advance.

Offline DrRox

• A Simple Traveler
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • My Favorite City
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2008, 12:42:40 AM »

Since their routing through Moscow was not planned ahead they did not have visas for entry into the Russian Federation, therefore they could not leave immigration.

TPTB must have had visas for all of the teams to enter Russia at a later date since a stop in Moscow was planned before the race actually started.  But these visas are held by the production team and the teams do not know where they will be going in advance.

This visa question is something that has intrigued me from TAR-1. Many countries require you to have the visa "stamped" in your passport before you even board a plane to that country. I do not have any idea is the Russian Federation is this way. I know they are VERY strict on advance visas. I looked at the visa section of the Russian Embassy in DC and the visa process is striking similiar to the one requred of a person going to Brasil. If you want to go to Brasil, you have to send your passport to one of their consulates in the US and get a visa stamped in the passport before you board a plane to Brasil. Brasil does this because we requre the same procedure of Brasilian citizens that want to come to the US. The Russian visa application page said the same thing. The visa for Brasil is good for entry into Brasil 90 days after it is issued. The time frames for tourist visas into Russia were much shorter in duration. I dont think they want Americans hanging around to much. The so-called Principle of Reciprosity.

The same was true of Egypt, when my parents lived there. I had to send my passport to DC to the Egyptian Embassy to get a visa stamped in it before I left. The airlines people would check to see that it was there, otherwise you never left the US.

So maybe Peach, add this question for next TARcon......ask the racers about visa stamps in their passports? I have always wondered if they knew where they were going before they left or when they left?