Author Topic: Racing Report Leg 2  (Read 4366 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing Report Leg 2
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:58:41 PM »
Racing Report
Amazing Race
Season 13, Episode #2
Title:  “Do you like American Candy?”, stated by Brooke I believe
Provided Funds:  $125.00
Pit Stop:  18 hours
Start Date:  April 25th, 2008

We open with some rare Eat, Sleep and Mingle footage showcasing that one racer isn’t in favor of the mingling aspect.  As Sarah is brought to tears trying to explain why she think she should be able “to talk to others”.  Well at least Terence shows that he is “the man” when he brings his girlfriend to tears.  Way to man up there Terence.

Teams leave the Pit Stop at the Forte Sao Marcelo of the coast of Salvador, Brazil in the order they arrived.

1.   Nick & Star 4:07am – Wonder Twin powers activate
2.   Ken & Tina 4:13am
3.   Terence & Sarah 4:18am
4.   Mark & Bill 4:24am
5.   Kelly & Christy 4:44am
6.   Toni & Dallas 4:57am
7.   Andrew & Dan 5:03am
8.   Aja & Ty 5:05am
9.   Anthony & Stephanie 5:11am
10.   Marisa & Brooke 5:13am

Clue: fly to Fortaleza, Brazil.

Teams must now fly 640 miles to the city of Fortaleza, Brazil.  Once they land they will travel by taxi to the tiny village of Cumbuco and find this plaza (Plaza de Cumbuco) where they’ll find their next clue.

While putting their bags into the truck of their taxi, the driver accidental hits Terence’s face as he closes the trunk.  He asks (nay demands) how Sarah should care for him.  “I want you to really stick this (a piece of cloth) on it.  I want my head clean.  Now if you would be kind enough to blow it.”

Sounds like a good idea to me, Sarah.  Go ahead give him a blow to the head.  Might I suggest with a tire iron.

Quote:  "If there is a way I can reduce the drama, I try to”, from Sarah.

Hint:  Getting rid of the Drama Queen might get rid of the drama….

OMG god, last week I said Terence was just a low key version of Jonathan.  Lord it looks more and more like I was correct.  At least this time its the asshole who gets hit by parts of the car.

As the teams arrive at the airport, Ken & Tina and Nick & Starr discover an 11:30 flight but look for a faster option.  They then discover a 6:45 flight but that this earlier flight is overbooked.  Through sheer force of her personality Tina gets the airline to bump up the size of the plane.  Well at least that’s what she is convinced of.  I am sure the idea of booking 40 plus persons had nothing to do with it.

As teams arrive Tina really doesn’t endear herself to the other teams by reminding all of them ad nauseam that they got their flight due to her actions. 

As teams await boarding she pushes more making sure that her team and the Wonder Twins get on the flight first.  While the ticket agent did say she could, this is hardly a wise move this early in the game.  Though we do get a cute scene of Ken kissing Terence on the head (not that one you perves..) to ease the tension between them and Terence & Sarah.

The flight everyone did take
G3 1642 leaving SSA at 0645 arrives REC at 0800 the same morning of the 25th

As teams arrive in Fortaleza, the pack mentality follows Nick as he runs through the airport trying to get to the taxis.  Unfortunately he runs towards the wrong area of the airport.  This allows several slower teams to get a leg up in getting out of the airport.

Teams get to their cabs in the following order.

1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Kelly & Christy
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Anthony & Stephanie
5.   Toni & Dallas
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   Marisa & Brooke
8.   Mark & Bill
9.   Nick & Starr
10.   Ken & Tina

Anthony & Stephanie immediately have cab trouble, and Anthony attempts to push start the cab.  By the time they get back to get another cab all other teams have departed.

Teams arrive at the plaza in the following order.
1.   Terence & srah
2.   Kelly & Christy
3.   Toni & Dallas
4.   Mark & Bill
5.   Marisa & Brooke
6.   Nick & Starr
7.   Ken & Tina
8.   Andrew & Dan *
9.   Aja & Ty *
10.   Anthony & Stephanie

•   Both of these teams miss the clue box and go directed to the Dune Buggies, at this point they are told by Marisa & Brooke where the clue box is located.

Teams must now choose one of these “burgers” or dune buggies to take them to the Barraca D Manuel where this vendor will give them their next clue. 

Teams get to dune buggies and make their way to Barraca D Manuel in the following order.

1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Kelly & Christy
3.   Toni & Dallas
4.   Mark & Bill
5.   Nick & Starr
6.   Marisa & Brooke
7.   Ken & Tina
8.   Andrew & Dan
9.   Aja & Ty

While riding on the dune buggies Marisa & Brooke get mooned.  While survivor flashes penis, we get a blur (see our editors have actually won Emmy’s).

Team get to Barraca D Manuel and get their clue from the vendor in the following order.

1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Kelly & Christy
3.   Toni & Dallas
4.   Mark & Bill
5.   Nick & Starr
6.   Marisa & Brooke
7.   Ken & Tina
8.   Andrew & Dan
9.   Aja & Ty

Detour:  Beach it or Docket

In this detour teams have to choose between two things related to this coastal community (and no Anthony beat up cabs and poverty are not the choices).  The choice “Beach it” or “Docket”.

In “Beach it” teams must travel by burgers to the same beach.  Once there they’ll choose a two-man crew and one of the traditional Brazilian boats, known as a Janadieros (or Jangada).  Then using local methods they must maneuver these heavy rolling logs to drag the 440-pound vessel 100 yards across the sand into this inlet.  Teams with the right combination of muscle and mental acuity could finish fast.

In “Docket” teams travel by burgers to the Port of Pecem to search for a container hidden in this shipyard.  When they get to the port they will choose one of these computers.  Then they must scour a database for the same unique serial number (3751447) listed in their clue.  Once they’ve found the number, they’ll use the corresponding four-letter (not those four letters) code to find the section of the shipyard in which their container is located.  When they pinpoint their container with in this section they’ll find their next clue inside.  The task is not physical but teams without an eye for detail could find themselves stuck here for a long time.

Teams get to the detour locations in the following order.

1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Kelly & Christy
3.   Toni & Dallas
4.   Mark & Bill
5.   Nick & Starr
6.   Marisa & Brooke *
7.   Ken & Tina
8.   Andrew & Dan **
9.   Aja & Ty

*  Marisa & Brooke initial choose “Docket” but blindly follow Nick & Starr who aren’t doing that detour.
** Dan wonders initially if he needs to be in the boat.  Yes, Dan standing in the boat an adding your weight is exactly the way to make this task go quick and smooth.

Teams finish their detour in the following order.

1.   Terence & Sarah *
2.   Nick & Starr**
3.   Kelly & Christy ***
4.   Mark & Bill
5.   Toni & Dallas
6.   Ken & Tina
7.   Andrew & Dan
8.   Aja & Ty
9.   Marisa & Brooke

* Terence & Sarah are just tearing through this leg, great job
** To encourage the two local helpers Nick gets Starr to give them kisses.  Way to pimp out your sister their kiddo.
*** After completing the detour and receiving their clue, Kelly & Christy start looking for their container (the one that is for the other detour) and seeing a small flag (A marker to show where they are supposed to deliver the boats) start blindly digging in the sand.  This is one of the most inane things I have seen a team believe might be part of a task.  It’s almost as bad as the Beauty Queens listening to crickets to hear their next clue.

Teams must now locate (HA, HA) these nearby (HA, HA, HA) taxis and choose one to take them to Parque de Vaquejada where they’ll find their next clue.

Teams get to the marked cabs in the following order.

1.   Nick & Starr
2.   Mark & Bill – Who actually leave first
3.   Ken & Tina
4.   Toni & Dallas
5.   Andrew & Dan
6.   Kelly & Christy – Who finally give up on digging and in their cab realize their error (that they are stupid)
7.   Aja & Ty
8.   Marisa & Brooke
9.   Terence & Sarah *

* This is now twice that this team has blown a lead due to rushing around without actually paying attention. And this one was huge.  They go up the beach and into town and are considerably far away from the taxi before they manage to get one of the teams to stop and tell them how bad they ****ed up (Dallas makes their cab stop, and sorry Dallas but that is an incredible stupid move.  Here is a team that has consistently been ahead of you at every stage of the race.  This is a team you don’t help.  Apparently since he’s cute he doesn’t need to be smart.

Chateau d If estimates that Terence & Sarah went two and a half miles out of their way.  I am unsure if he meant one way (so a  total of 5 miles) or if this included the walk back to the taxis.

Quote:  "Taxi parking there’s a sign I can read” states Nick.  The editors say think you.

When you arrive at Parque de Vaquejada you should have your taxi wait.

Quote:  “We have learned to Read the clue”, stated by both Kelly & Christy.  Editors laugh their asses off

Teams arrive at Parque de Vaquejada in the following order.

1.   Mark & Bill
2.   Ken & Tina
3.   Toni & Dallas
4.   Andrew & Dan
5.   Nick & Starr *
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   Kelly & Christy **
8.   Terence & Sarah
9.   Marisa & Brooke
10.   Anthony & Stephanie ***

*  Nick & Starr's taxi takes them to the wrong location and this is what puts them so far back.
** Kelly & Christy don’t tell their cab to wait and discover their error right before stating the roadblock.
*** Anthony & Stephanie have another bad cab experience which cost them some time (it is unclear if this happens at this point or after the roadblock).

Roadblock:  In Plain sight

In this roadblock the team member must search for a clue hidden in plain sight. 

Teams members must locate somewhere on this 600 ft wall the name of their ext destination, Cidade Da Crianca.  To accomplish this quickly they must embrace the laid back local beach culture and resist the urge to over think the numerous Portuguese ads surrounding it.  They must supply the correct destination name to the painter (Nivaldo) to receive their next clue.

On the long stretch of wall there are many large and colorful words, but towards the far end of the wall is a smaller listing of 16 groups of words.

Bill finally realizes just to write those 16 words down and one of them should be correct.  Tina sees what he is doing and does the same.

Team members finish the roadblock in the following order.
1.   Bill
2.   Tina
3.   Christy*
4.   Aja
5.   Sarah
6.   Toni
7.   Nick**
8.   Andrew
9.   Brooke
10.   Anthony

* Kelly & Christy are waiting for a new taxi.  Nick & Starr have already left when they realize their taxi (which wasn’t told to stay) had stayed anyway.
** Nick, dear sweet and so unsubtle Nick moves from racer to racer for help and abandons them like leapers when he doesn’t need them anymore.  This was funny at first as he approaches Sarah and asks to work with her, but when he sees she has (currently) nothing he literally turns his back on her and walks away.  But, again, at this stage of the race burning bridges and proving to teams that you can’t be trusted is not very wise.

Quote:  Brooke, you can do it”, from Marisa
Quote:  “But I don’t speak Spanish”, replies Brooke
Quote:  “You don’t need to know Spanish” states Marisa
Quote:  “It’s all in Spanish”, complains Brooke.

First, its called Portuguese you idiots.  Second just copy the words you don’t have to know what they mean.  Seriously dumb.  Really the women teams in this episode don’t make a very good impression.

Clue:  Travel by taxi to the next Pit Stop.

Teams must now travel by taxi through this coastal city to this park,  Cidade Da Crianca.  Builtas an oasis for the city’s children, this is the 2nd Pit Stop for the race.  The last team to check in here may be eliminated.

Mark & Bill’s taxi is over taken by Ken & Tina.  And at a stop, they joke with each other.
Quote:  Hey let the fat boys have one” asks Mark.
Quote:  “I have to make Momma happy”’ states Ken (And damn I don’t want to see it when he doesn’t.
Quote:  “I am so glad we are in a foot race with the ex professional football player”, between Mark & Bill laughing.

Teams arrive at the Pit Stop in the following order.
1.   Ken & Tina who each win an all terrain vehicle (For when they separated for good)
2.   Mark & Bill
3.   Terence & Sarah (and that Dallas is why you don’t help a strong team)
4.   Aja & Ty
5.   Toni & Dallas (nice to see Dallas carrying Mom’s bags)
6.   Nick & Starr
7.   Kelly & Christy (With as many mistakes as they made they still managed to come in 7th)
8.   Andrew & Dan (So not either of the Frats.  Not the Fat funny ones in season 1, or the in shape strong racing fake frats in season 9)
9.   Marisa & Brooke
10.    Anthony & Stephanie – who are eliminated

Racing Report Leg # 3 should hopefully be out before Phil retires….

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 01:40:16 PM by mswood »

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Racing Report Leg 2
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 10:57:44 AM »
mswood, I have a minor correction previously sent to you but not making it into this report:

"The First and only flight G3 1642 leaving SSA at 0645 arrives REC at 0800 the same morning of the 25th" is neither the first nor the only morning flight SSA to FOR but it was the most appropriate.  The others include earlier ones at 0230 and 0330 that were too early for AR13 teams and these flights:

SSA FOR G31260 1100 1350
SSA FOR  JJ8003 1130 1310

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
Thanks apskip when I posted this I did not include the flight info, and when I realized I hadn't I just quickly typed out the flight I believed they took without checking the rest of my notes.  I will edit my post.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »
And sweet Jesus I need to take a remedial English compostion class.  Just making that little change I discovered about 30 grammar errors.  Lord and English is my first language.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »
Grammar schmammer!!  :lol:

I love your recaps and I am SO glad you are doing them again!! :thankyou:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline mswood

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:23:46 PM »
And sweet Jesus I need to take a remedial English compostion class.  Just making that little change I discovered about 30 grammar errors.  Lord and English is my first language.
And apparently remedial spelling.  I spelled composition wrong, he he.