Author Topic: Top Chef New York Season 5  (Read 101618 times)

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Top Chef New York Season 5
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2008, 01:29:09 PM »
An interesting article:

Sizzling on 'Top Chef'

A few months back, Jill Snyder, executive chef at the Red Maple tapas lounge in Mount Vernon, wasn't a big fan of Bravo's Top Chef.

"I hadn't really watched many episodes," she admits, a little sheepishly.

That's probably about to change: Snyder, 28, will be on the show when it kicks off its fifth season Nov. 12.

A native of Latrobe, Pa., who moved to Charm City eight years ago, Snyder is one of 17 chefs competing for the grand prize of $100,000 toward opening their own restaurant. The reality show tests not only culinary skills, but also contestants' resourcefulness, quick-thinking and business savvy.

Although the show's finale has yet to be shot, Snyder and 16 other contestants spent about a month this summer in New York City, preparing dishes, shopping for the best ingredients and watching their budgets, all with an eye toward impressing the four-judge panel.

"It was really competitive, and the fact that you're in New York City made it just that much more intense," says Snyder, who is prohibited from discussing any particulars of what happened during the competition. "There are so many awesome restaurants and celebrity chefs up there. One of the judges, Tom Colicchio, actually owns a couple restaurants in New York City, too. It was pretty wild."

There's a tremendous amount of hush-hush surrounding the competition, as the show's producers don't want anything revealed that might affect viewer interest. Secrecy has been so tight that the names of the 17 contestants weren't announced until last week. Several blogs, however, had revealed many of the contestants, including Snyder, by staking out the shoot and working hard to identify the people they saw coming and going.

"Everything was a surprise," says Snyder. And she's determined to keep it that way.

But some of the people she's worked with in Baltimore like her chances. If nothing else, they say, her appearance on Top Chef will help put Baltimore on the culinary map. Like fellow contestant Melissa Harrison, a Maryland native now living in Boulder, Colo., Snyder honed her cooking skills at the Baltimore International College.

"She's a great person, she's just got a bright outlook and she's a lot of fun to be around," says Spike Gjerde, owner of Woodberry Kitchen and one of Snyder's mentors. "She brings a great attitude and a great kind of energy to the kitchen. I've always thought of her as extremely talented, someone who deserves a wider audience. And Top Chef has quite a wide audience."

Lars Rusins, founder of Baltimore Foodies, a group that meets monthly to celebrate the best of the city's restaurants, agrees: "I think Jill's great. She's very cool, she's young, she has this really artistic touch. She's personable, she's gregarious. The TV's going to love her."

Snyder says she never thought about being a chef while growing up in Pennsylvania. "It wasn't my initial plan, coming out of high school," she says.

During two years of undergraduate study at Shippensburg University in Pennsylvania, "I wanted to be an artist for a while, so I did a bunch of art classes, but I wasn't sure if that was going to work out financially.

"I think it was my aunt who suggested trying to go to culinary school, and I knew that I could pick up a degree there doing something that I'd probably enjoy."

That aunt, Kathy Baker-Brosh, said her niece showed an early affinity for cooking. "She has always been very creative, and she's always been very handy in the kitchen. She always enjoyed cooking and preparing foods for people; that's one of her greatest loves."

But Snyder insists that she never envisioned cooking as a career. "I saw it as kind of a temporary thing, just until I figured out what I really wanted to do. But then I got some great jobs, and I've really enjoyed it."

Soon after arriving in Baltimore, Snyder began working with Gjerde, first at Spike and Charlie's Restaurant, then at Joy America Cafe in Federal Hill. She also spent seven months making pastries at Red Maple - pastries that were good enough to help persuade the owners to hire her as executive chef in 2005. Making desserts, she says, is still among her favorite pastimes.

"I would say I love making sushi, and then I love making desserts, too," she says. "And everything in between. It's hard for me to pinpoint one thing. I like to use lots of different spices. I like to get influences from India, different Indian curries and things like that."

The best part of her job? Experimenting with different ingredients, Snyder says, and the looks on her customers' faces when those experiments work.

"I love just researching new ingredients and trying to figure out how to make them work together," she says. "Designing a menu that's really cool, and that people really enjoy - it's really fun to get feedback, when you have someone who's come in and had a great dining experience."

Of course, there will be no shortage of feedback on Top Chef, from the notoriously hard-to-please judges. Only this time, the reward could be far greater than a roomful of satisfied customers.

"I'm waiting to see what happens," says Snyder, still cautious about revealing anything of substance. "It's a great thing to add to my resume now. Who knows, possibly I could get a real awesome job somewhere. I'm going to go with the flow, see what happens."

Link: http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/tv/bal-al.chef05oct05,0,7025166.story?track=rss

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2008, 08:25:55 PM »

Top Chef finally added Danny's Bio:

Danny currently serves as the Chef de Cuisine at the Babylon Carriage House, one of the most popular restaurants in Long Island, NY. He is best known for his Italian/Asian Fusion style of cooking. Danny was influenced by his grandmothers at a young age to cook from the heart and keep family in mind. After graduating from the Culinary Institute of America, he worked for several restaurants including East By Northeast, Harvest on Fort Pond, and Pacific East where he gained invaluable knowledge that made him an asset in any kitchen. His motto is: "No Guts, No Glory, No Gold!"

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »
An interesting article:

Top Chef: Meet Toby Young

Next month, Top Chef will return for its 5th season and this time, the show will take place in New York City, where they have found many contestants over the years. The 16 contestants will compete for $100,000 in seed money to help open a restaurant, furnished by the makers of the Glad family of products, a feature in Food & Wine magazine, a showcase at the Annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen and the title of Top Chef. The premiere will take place on November 12, with a two hour episode. The judges, and host Padma Lakshmi, will all return but fans will notice a new face in the crowd. Meet Top Chef’s newest judge: Toby Young.

Toby Young is a British journalist, who wrote the popular book, "How To Lose Friends and Alienate People". The book is Young’s memoir, about his unsuccessful attempts to become a contributing editor in the U.S. for Vanity Fair magazine. How To Lose Friends and Alienate People was turned into a movie, which hit theaters this month, and stars Simon Pegg, Kirsten Dunst, and Megan Fox. Young also wrote a second book, "The Sound of No Hands Clapping", about his unsuccessful attempt at becoming a Hollywood screenwriter.

What is interesting about the addition of Young is that he does not appear to be a food expert, unlike everyone else who has ever sat at judges table. Previous judges have included: Anthony Bourdain, Ted Allen, Rocco DiSpirito, and Eric Ripert. Any would seem a more logical choice to join the show full time, however, each have a full plate. Boudain has his own show on The Travel Channel called Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations and Allen has his own on The Food Network, Food Detectives. DiSpirito is currently competing on Dancing With The Stars while Ripert has his hands full with a new book, due out in November.

Link: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/top-chef/top-chef-meet-toby-young-23428.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2008, 08:03:26 AM »
An interesting article:

Jag's cook goes on 'Top Chef'

Could TVs next "Top Chef" be working at Jag's Steak & Seafood in West Chester Township?

Lauren Starling Hope, 24, a chef at the Union Centre restaurant, is one of 17 contestants on "Top Chef: New York" premiering Nov. 12 (10 p.m., Bravo).

The 2002 Lakota West High School graduate has wanted to work in restaurants most of her life.

"I received an Easy Bake Oven when I was 5, and that's how I knew I was absolutely destined to work in the culinary world," says Hope on her video biography posted at www.Bravotv.com.

After training with mentor Paul Sturkey, she earned a bachelor degree at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, N.Y. While in school, she met her future husband, United States Military Academy cadet Greg Hope, a 2001 Lakota West graduate.

Her husband, now an U.S. Army lieutenant serving, is serving in Iraq, says Victoria Brody, Bravo publicist.

The Greater Cincinnati native will be the first local contestant in five seasons of "Top Chef," cable TV's No. 1 food show. All but the final episode were taped earlier this year, Brody says.

On each show, one contestant will be eliminated by judges chef Tom Colicchio, writer Gail Simmons and author Toby Young ("How to Lose Friends and Alienate People"). The winner will be revealed early next year, Brody says.

Celebrity guests this season include Martha Stewart, the Foo Fighters, Rocco DiSpirito and Natasha Richardson.

Link: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081008/ENT/810080341/1025/rss05

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 02:59:53 PM »

BRAVO'S 'TOP CHEF' AND NYC & COMPANY PRESENT 'TASTE OF THE FIVE BOROUGHS' AT GRAND CENTRAL'S HISTORIC VANDERBILT HALL IN NEW YORK

Press Release

Time Warner Cable And New York Media Serve As Event Sponsors

Tickets Go On Sale October 13 With All Proceeds Benefitting New York's City Harvest

NEW YORK – October 7, 2008 – Leading up to the fifth season premiere of the Emmy and James Beard Award-winning series "Top Chef," Bravo has partnered with NYC & Company, New York City's marketing, tourism and partnership organization, to present "Taste of the Five Boroughs" at New York's historic Vanderbilt Hall in Grand Central Terminal on Monday, October 27 from 12 – 3 p.m.. For the first time, a $30 tasting fee will allow New Yorkers and visitors an opportunity to experience a virtual culinary map of New York, transporting consumers to some of the city's most celebrated culinary neighborhoods with 22 restaurants represented from Manhattan's Chinatown to Arthur Avenue in the Bronx including restaurants such as Buddakan, Le Cirque, Perilla, Paloma, Water's Edge, Mike's Deli, Angelina's Ristorante and 24 Prince. New York Media, parent company of New York magazine and NYmag.com and Time Warner Cable are the media sponsors for the event. Tickets go on sale Monday, October 13 at www.cityharvest.org. All proceeds will benefit City Harvest.

In addition to tasting booths, past "Top Chef" winners and fan favorites will be manning live demo stations. Visitors will have the chance to interact and mingle with chef'testants from the series' four seasons, including contestants from the upcoming season, "Top Chef: New York," which premieres with a super-sized episode on Bravo on Wednesday, November 12 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. To meet the cast of season five, visit www.BravoTV.com. Photography and bios are available at www.nbcumv.com.

Time Warner Cable customers will be able to participate in an exclusive pre-event promotion from October 6-13 when the cable system offers 250 tickets on their website at www.twcnyc.com.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »
An interesting article:

Princeton grad's on 'Top Chef'

Now "Top Chef" fans here have two reasons to watch the fifth season that premieres next month.

Radhika Desai, 28, a 1998 Princeton High School graduate, will compete on "Top Chef: New York" against Lauren Starling Hope, 24, of West Chester Township, and 15 other contestants.

Desai's friends contacted The Enquirer Wednesday, when a story announced that Hope, a 2002 Lakota West High School graduate, would be the first local contestant in five seasons of the top-rated cable food series.

Bravo lists Desai's hometown as Chicago, at her request, says Victoria Brody, Bravo publicist.

However, Desai says on her video at BravoTV.com: "I was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1980 ... and went to high school in Cincinnati at Princeton High School, and then I went to the Ohio State University."

She is executive chef at Between Boutique Café & Lounge in Chicago. Her family lives in Springdale.

"Top Chef: New York" premieres Nov. 12 (10 p.m., Bravo).

Link: http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20081009/ENT/810090314/1025/rss05

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
An interesting article wow some lucky person who wins this:

Private Cooking Lesson with "Top Chef" Host Padma Lakshmi!

Description

Includes: a private cooking lesson for two people with Padma Lakshmi in the winner's NYC home.

Padma Lakshmi, already known internationally as an actress and award-winning writer, is also the host of the top-rated TV series "Top Chef" on Bravo. "Top Chef", in which she is a judge as well as host, pits 15 talented contestants against one another over three tense months. Each week, Padma will tell one of them to "pack your knives and go."

Originally known as the first internationally successful Indian supermodel, Padma Lakshmi is also an accomplished writer and the author of Easy Exotic for Miramax Books for which she won the International Versailles Event for best cookbook by a first time writer. She has contributed to such magazines as American Vogue, Gourmet and Harper's Bazaar.

Here is an amazing opportunity to learn basic cooking techniques, as well as how to plan and prepare a meal with supermodel and TV star Padma Lakshmi!

Donated by: Padma Lakshmi

Terms: Includes: a private cooking lesson for two people with Padma Lakshmi in the Fall of 2008 in the winner's NYC home. Availability based on Ms. Lakshmi's schedule and must be redeemed by the end of 2008.

Link: https://auction01.charitybuzz.com/secure/viewItemDetail.do?auction_item_id=75199&lotsindex=0&show=10&order=default

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2008, 09:19:36 AM »
An interesting article:

No Name Change for TOM, Colicchio Rocks Out With Dave Grohl

Nearly 60 representatives from New York's top kitchens were on hand last night at Cipriani Wall Street for an Autism Speaks benefit auction spearheaded by Brasserie's executive chef, Franklin Becker. In a room full of chefs, we found Craft's Tom Colicchio hosting the event all by his lonesome (his scheduled co-host, Brian Williams, had to cancel to cover the Senate vote on the bailout plan). The chef, contrary to reports, has no plans to change the name of his new venture, TOM: Tuesday Night. “I was joking. And the New York Times took it and ran with it, he said. "People are making such a big deal about it." Colicchio also protested criticism of TOM’s $150 baseline. “For an eight-course menu, it's comparable to everyone else around town. I don't think it's outrageous."

Since Bravo released Top Chef details yesterday, Colicchio no longer had to keep mum about special guest judges the Foo Fighters. “The challenge itself is hilarious,” Colicchio said, but was demure about the details. He was happy to dish about Dave Grohl, though. "The funny thing with Dave was that right before we go out to do our entrance, he's like, 'I'm so excited. This is my favorite TV show. I can't wait!' The Foo Fighters, after the Grammys, actually spent the night at Craft in Los Angeles. So, I knew that. They're really into food. Some of the things he said … it was hysterical. I would just look at him and be like, 'What did you just say?' He would be like, 'the sear on the meat could have been a little better, you know, I think you needed a little more seasoning.'"

Link: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/10/no_name_change_for_tom_colicch.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
 :jumpy: An interesting article and a great video preview:

‘Top Chef: New York’ Preview: ‘We’re in for a Good Ride’

We’ve just finished a screener of the season premiere of Top Chef: New York, and we’re still tingling from Tom Colicchio’s icy blue stare and the whiff of an overly contrived cooking challenge. As we noted before, faux-hawks are out and facial hair is in, but we’re also pleased to report that none of this season’s seventeen cheftestants appear to be aspiring molecular gastronomists. They seem like a pretty amiable set (no Lisa-and-Dale-like enemies yet), but the premiere lays the groundwork for future conflict between Daniel (a hairier version of season three’s Joey) and European snob-chef Stefan, as well as the sometimes-subtitled Fabio. On the friendlier end of the things, the group’s three gay members (Richard, Patrick, and Jamie) band together to form “Team Rainbow.”

Padma Lakshmi and Gail Simmons are, of course, back at Judge's Table, but instead of Ted Allen, we get “outspoken food critic” Toby Young, author of How to Lose Friends and Alienate People. Though he doesn’t make an appearance in the premiere, he looks to channel Simon Cowell with lines like “It tasted a bit like cat food” and “Did you sweat into it? Why is it so salty?”

We don’t want to give too much away, but the first episode includes a Quickfire Challenge on Governors Island and an Elimination Challenge dealing with (surprise!) the various cuisines of New York’s neighborhoods. There are too many lamb chops, some bloody apples, and Jean-Georges Vongerichten! But the important thing is that we sense a renewed emphasis on the cooking, and if the cheftestants continue with the level of cooking on display in the first challenge, as Tom says, “We’re in for a good ride.”

Link to the article and video preview: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/10/top_chef_new_york_preview_were.html

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2008, 10:15:20 AM »
The above preview was excellent. We were introduced to about half of the cast. It is clear that teams get to their Governor's Island part of the first episode on a private ferry. Padma Lakshmi is looking fabulous. Based on what I know about culinary backgrounds, the only chef of the ones presented who is likely to go far is Jamie, an Executive chef for a San Francisco retaurant.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2008, 10:40:36 PM »
An interesting article on Tom Colicchio:

Top Chef's Top Meal

Tom Colicchio's new, intimate restaurant, Tom: Tuesday Dinner, opened quietly last night. His first offering to each of the 28 guests lucky enough to score a reservation was a duck heart wrapped in pancetta and wearing a fig.

The choice could not have been more apt for this earnest, heartfelt dining "experiment."

"I've been wanting to do a tiny place where you have your hand in everything ever since I was a young line cook," Colicchio said when he unveiled the unusual restaurant concept two weeks ago. The restaurant will be open only two Tuesdays a month because Colicchio himself insists on doing all the cooking, and that's all the wildly successful chef has time for.

And so, there he was last night, hard at work, stirring, plating, tasting, saucing. From 7 p.m. until about 10:30 p.m., he barely looked up, but when he did, he looked relaxed--and happy.

Not once did a bead of sweat surface on his signature bald head. Of course, the conditions were pretty ideal for a chef--there were only a smattering of tables, and everyone was eating the exact same nine-course menu. His wife was there for moral support, and he'd selected four of his favorite and longtime kitchen cohorts to assist. He'd picked out the plateware for each course personally, and The Band's Basement Tapes (his favorite) was playing all night long.

There were none of the rigors that contestants routinely face on Bravo's Top Chef, where Colicchio is the--often exacting--top judge.

Colicchio may despise the term "celebrity chef," but the fact is, he can't escape it. The maestro behind the "craft" of farm-to-table cuisine (and the ensuing restaurant empire) now turned TV star, Colicchio is so well-known that he can no longer "work" the dining rooms of his restaurants for fear of detracting from the hard work going on in the kitchen, he says.

But last night, no one was looking at the chef. For starters, the vibe in the dining room (located in the private dining room of his landmark Craft restaurant) felt so intimate (and so far away from New York) that ogling seemed out of place.

Prime Plates
But more important, the food was that good. In the last few years, fans have grown familiar with Colicchio's pared-down dishes where pristine ingredients, rather than elaborate technique, drive the bus. At Tom: Tuesday Dinner, Colicchio is clearly making room for artistry in his cooking again.

Consider his black risotto course with its grilled squid stuffed with a fragrant thatch of herbs and Italian kale sitting in a squid-ink risotto made with cocoa nibs. Or the flight of fancy "cheese course": bubble-light and delicate fried ricotta gnocchi served with Meyer lemon and grapefruit puree.

That was one of Jay Pascuale's favorite dishes. The doctor from Queens is a huge fan of Colicchio's cooking, and he said last night that he'd wasted no time making a reservation as soon as the number was made public.

"I knew I just had to get a table as soon as possible," said Pascuale, who dined alone. "I was surprised to get in on opening night."

Pascuale said he really appreciated the subtlety of Colicchio's cooking and that "the dishes seemed to really come from the heart."

Last night's hyper-seasonal prix-fixe menu was $150, but future menus may go as high as $250 depending on ingredients used.

When it was over, Colicchio, who confessed to some serious jitters beforehand--especially since none of the dishes had been given a dry run--went to the bar and collapsed against the wall.

"My back is killing me, " he said. "I'd forgotten how tiring it can be to stand on your feet for so long."

It didn't help that he'd taken a boxing class that morning. "That was a bad idea."

As for his brainchild?

"It was just what I wanted it to be," he said. "It was really fun."

Pascale Le Draoulec is the former restaurant critic for the New York Daily News.

Link: http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/wine/2008/10/15/colicchio-top-chef-forbeslife-cx_pl_1015winefood.html?feed=rss_forbeslife_wine

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2008, 10:52:32 PM »
 :hearts: love this article:

Stalking Season Five 'Top Chef'-testants

They may look like normal people (oh wait, they are normal people) but they're actually the next cast of Top Chef. Blogger Kurt Strahm waited outside the 20 Bayard building in Williamsburg, Brooklyn—the luxe home of this season's cast members—long enough to see the four females and six males leave. According to Eater LA, the bald one in the green tee could be Los Angeles chef-turned-caterer Stefan Richter. Recognize any others from former meals?

Link: http://www.seriouseats.com/2008/08/stalking-new-top-chef-cast-contestants-season-5-five-20-bayard.html

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2008, 08:59:01 AM »
Marigold, I am not sure I understand the point of the above photos. We already have a complete cast list , pictures of each one, and video segments of several of them. Who cares about seeing the Top Chef 5 chefs "in public" around New York City now that we know all that?

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »
Marigold, I am not sure I understand the point of the above photos. We already have a complete cast list , pictures of each one, and video segments of several of them. Who cares about seeing the Top Chef 5 chefs "in public" around New York City now that we know all that?

LMAO :funny: hehehe

Who cares? Obviously I do seeing that I posted it

Those who don’t care could have easily bypassed the posted article if it were of no interest to them kinda like the personal comments and blather I see but have never thought to write “who cares”

Congrat’s to Kurt for finding the cast and sharing his pic’s with us. I would have done the same thing

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »
An interesting article with Tom Colicchio:

Tom: Tuesday Dinner Scores ‘7.5 Out of 10’ During Repeat Performance

Earlier, we lamented that Pascale Le Draoulec didn't say much about the food when she described the opening night of Tom: Tuesday Dinner. One of our commenters, however, reports on an encore performance at the restaurant last night: "I thought the food was great, a solid 7.5 on a scale of 1–10. The duck heart amuse was incredible and smokey, and there are other similar home-style touches throughout. For me, the winner was a squab with licorice skin with honey-caramelized onions. That and the wine pairing were inspired. There was a heavy reliance on pork (pancetta, porchetta, everywhere). Lamb was the red meat, and there were two fish selections. Dessert was minimal, and they might benefit from more influence of a pastry chef here. Tom looked relaxed and in a good mood and it's simply a great room to dine in with an amazing kitchen to watch from. He must be really happy there. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed. Be prepared for around $250/person spend."

Link: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/10/tom_tuesday_dinner_scores_75_o.html

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2008, 05:02:34 AM »

An update on Top Chef's judge Padma Lakshmi:

Padma is featured in the November issue of Harper's Bazaar

A Fashionable Life: Padma Lakshmi

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2008, 08:56:39 PM »

Padma Lakshmi is in Novembers issue in Harper's Bazaar

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 09:48:27 PM »
An interesting article:

‘Top Chef’ Truck Graces New York With Its Presence

Remember the Top Chef truck? Well, it’s finally rolling into Union Square this Saturday, when Richard Blais and Andrew D’Ambrosi will give demos at 10:30 a.m., noon, and 1:30 p.m. Will this be like the time U2 played on a rooftop? Not quite. Okay, so will Blais at least show us how to chill beer with liquid nitrogen? Let's hope. This’ll be the last stop of the tour, meaning we’ll never hear from former cheftestants again. Well, until our own New York Taste event, anyway!

Link: http://nymag.com/daily/food/2008/10/top_chef_truck_graces_new_york.html

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 10:33:11 AM »
There is a culinary event on Monday Oct. 27:

TASTE OF THE 5 BOROUGHS - Big Apple. Big Appetite

A tasting event featuring food from restaurants in each of the 5 boroughs(including tom Colicchio's Craft, Le Cirque, and The River Cafe) and opportunity to meet BRAVO's Top Chefs
(Note: the publicity for this clarifies that it is both the winners of Top Chef 1-4 and the Top Chef 5 Cheftestants)
Vanderbilt Hall at Grand Central Terminal, 12pm to 3pm(but only tickets for 2pm to 3pm currently available)
All proceeds allow CityHarvest to feed hungry men, women and children in New York City
Ticket Price $30
tickets on sale at cityharvest.org

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2008, 10:08:27 PM »
An interesting article:

'Top Chef' judge has tips, tales

Shopping at Publix is an extra-double-bonus pleasure when you walk in and see, instead of the typical chicken breast display, chef Tom Colicchio sitting there signing books. In town for a cooking demo at Apron's cooking school, Colicchio looked slimmed down and dashing in his jeans, blue button-front shirt, a hint of stubble and giant cuff watch.

A long-time Top Chef watcher, I simply had to ask the Craft restaurateur and head judge of the Bravo show, "So, what is your overall theme or inspiration for tonight's demo?"

"You'll see once we get inside. Tomatoes."

"Oh, well that's what you ask all the Top Chef contestants, so . . ."

"I see! You're doing me on me."

Colicchio prepared three dishes during the two-hour demo, taking audience questions all along the way. The dishes: Clam Ragout with Bacon, Roasted Tomatoes and Greens; Seared Tuna with Fennel Salad; and Caramelized Tomato Tarts were all so simple I learned little about cooking from this culinary whiz.

However, he opened up about the Top Chef experience and shared some sweet personal stories, food theories and restaurant industry insight.

- During Top Chef's first season, he wanted to cook dinner for the final four or five chefs. After spending $400 in groceries, the producers told him he had to scrap the dinner, as getting to know the contestants could affect his judging. As it stands, once off the set, the judges are not allowed to go near the contestants.

- It takes two days to shoot an episode of Top Chef; the judging portion alone takes four hours. Shooting wraps in five weeks, save for the finale.

- If judging results in a tie, Colicchio tends to get his way.

- His favorite dish from the first four seasons of Top Chef was Tiffani Faison's artichoke risotto with pork belly from the Season 1 finale.

- Martha Stewart is a Quickfire judge in the upcoming season. Knowing there is lots of downtime in television, she showed up with a manicurist, a pedicurist and two assistants.

- One of the first dishes he remembers making as a kid was stuffed zucchini. His family gobbled it down, congratulated him and then asked what was next - he'd mistaken the appetizer for a meal.

- He clearly remembers the day he learned about salt. After grilling a steak at a picnic area, he wondered why it tasted off. So he salted it, and voila! that was the steak taste he knew and loved.

- Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix is the best pizza in the country.

- Dry your fish completely to keep it from sticking to the pan, and then just leave it alone. It will release itself when it is ready. And your fish spatula should be cold when you remove the fish, lest it stick to the utensil.

- A good way to judge a cook's skill level: If you cut into a seared piece of meat and see an even sear on each side, he knows what he's doing.

- The move from sous- chef to chef typically brings a 100 percent bump in salary.

- When one of his sous- chefs is ready to make that move, that's when it's a good time to open a new restaurant. It keeps that chef from leaving the Colicchio family after years of training.

- The goal in the restaurant business is to make people happy. And if that's not your motive, you're in the wrong business.

- Things that grow together, go together, such as as tomatoes and zucchini.

- Favorite ingredient? Mushrooms.

- Always in his pantry? Pasta, olive oil and pepper: "That's a dish, if it has to be."

- The best cooking advice he's gotten was from La Technique: "Don't treat this book like a book. Treat it like an apprenticeship" - as in, learn by doing. Cook by feel. A recipe is a guide, not the rule.

- A guitar enthusiast, he has been learning to play and even scored himself a private lesson with one of his guitar heros, Jorma Kaukonen, formerly of Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna.

- His first concert was Led Zeppelin in 1977.

- A day in his life? He either plays guitar or fishes in the morning, then it's to the restaurant in downtown Manhattan till around 10 p.m., and then home.

- At his new line of 'wichcraft sandwich shops, the popular chicken mozzarella is his least favorite. He digs the white anchovy, soft-boiled egg and onion confit sandwich, the least popular seller.

- Sure he'll eat some junk food. Beef jerky, black licorice, and he loves ice cream but eats the fro-yo instead these days. But no thanks on the sweet tea.

Link: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/102608/enc_347953281.shtml

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
.... more about Tom:

Tom Colicchio

CLASS TYPE / FORMAT / COST - Celebrity Chef / Demonstration / $75
INSTRUCTOR(S) - Tom Colicchio
DATE & TIME - Oct 23 / 6:30 p.m. / Book Signing 5-6 p.m.

DESCRIPTION - Tom Colicchio spent his childhood immersed in food, cooking with his mother and grandmother. It was his father, however, who suggested that he make a career of it. Tom taught himself to cook with the help of Jacques Pépin’s legendary illustrated manuals on French cooking, La Technique and La Méthode. At age 17, Tom made his kitchen debut in his native town of Elizabeth, New Jersey at Evelyn’s Seafood Restaurant.

Tom later cooked at prominent New York restaurants including The Quilted Giraffe, Gotham Bar & Grill, Rakel and Mondrian. During his tenure as executive chef of Mondrian, Food & Wine magazine selected him as one of the top 10 “Best New Chefs” in the U.S. and The New York Times awarded the restaurant three stars.

In July 1994, Tom and his partner Danny Meyer opened Gramercy Tavern in Manhattan’s Gramercy Park neighborhood. In 1996, Ruth Reichl of The New York Times awarded Gramercy Tavern three stars. Tom’s cooking at Gramercy Tavern earned consistent recognition: after three nominations for The James Beard Foundation’s “Best Chef-New York” Award, he won it in 2000.

One year later and one block south of Gramercy Tavern, Tom opened Craft in March 2001. Soon thereafter, in July 2001, William Grimes of The New York Times awarded Craft with three stars, naming Craft “a vision of food heaven.”

Tom’s first cookbook, Think Like a Chef won the James Beard KitchenAid Cookbook Award in May 2001. This same year, Gramercy Tavern was awarded for “Outstanding Service”. In 2002, Craft was awarded The James Beard Award for “Best New Restaurant” and Gramercy Tavern’s sommelier won for “Outstanding Wine Service”.

With Craft and Craftbar established in New York City, Tom opened Craftsteak at the MGM Grand Las Vegas in July 2002. A year later, in spring 2003, ‘wichcraft – a sandwich shop rooted in the same food and hospitality philosophies as Craft – opened in New York. Today ‘wichcraft has 10 New York City locations, as well as locations at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and the Westfi eld Center in San Francisco.

Tom’s second cookbook, Craft of Cooking, was released in 2003. In 2006, Tom applied his years of experience to cable television as the head judge in Bravo’s new reality series “Top Chef.” The Emmynominated hit show premiered its fourth season in spring 2008. 2006 also saw the opening of

Craftsteak in New York and Craft Dallas in the W Dallas Victory Hotel. The much anticipated Craft Los Angeles in Century City followed in July 2007. Craftsteak at the MGM Grand at Foxwoods opened in May 2008, and in fall 2008 Craft Atlanta will open in The Mansion on Peachtree Hotel & Residence. Tom’s third cookbook, a sandwich book inspired by ‘wichcraft, will release in spring 2009.

Link: http://www.publix.com/aprons/schools/Jacksonville/ClassDetailReservations.do?childId=6675

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
An interesting article:

** WARNING! SPOILERS BELOW! **

Who Will Go Home First on 'Top Chef: New York'?

On Wednesday, November 12, the fifth season of Top Chef returns with a supersized episode beginning at 10pm ET. This season, the show will take place in one of the most diverse and cultural cities in the country, New York City. The contestants will be competing for the ultimate grand prize: $100,000 in seed money to help open a restaurant, furnished by the makers of the Glad family of products, a feature in Food & Wine magazine, a showcase at the Annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen and the title of Top Chef.   The names of the contestants have been released but one heads home on the first episode. Though Bravo hasn’t revealed who it will be, there are clues that point to one chef in particular.

** WARNING! SPOILERS BELOW! **

The Baltimore Sun has reported that local Maryland chef Jill Snyder is part of the cast of Top Chef this season.  Snyder is the executive chef for Red Maple, a Baltimore restaurant.  In a previous interview with the newspaper, Snyder spoke about the food that she creates at Red Maple.  "You don't want something that you have to cut with a fork and a knife," she said. "Generally, we serve everything with chopsticks so you can just kind of take a bite, maybe leave it for a second and take another bite, and it's done."
Unfortunately for Snyder, it seems that her time on the show is very limited.  A cast list of 16 was revealed but it was rumored that 17 appear on the first episode and one is eliminated in the quickfire challenge.  Since Jill Synder's name does appear on any official list of the 16 chefs competing this season, it seems that she is the unlucky one to head home first.

Link: http://www.buddytv.com/articles/top-chef/who-will-go-home-first-on-top-23979.aspx

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2008, 12:06:27 PM »

:jumpy: Further to apskip's post

"There is a culinary event on Monday Oct. 27: TASTE OF THE 5 BOROUGHS"

MADE IN NY: Top Chef NY ( a great video )

This week on CITY SCOOP our continuing entertainment segment MADE IN NEW YORK.

The big search is on--for the Top Chef in the restaurant capital of the world.

To spice up the fifth season premiere of its Emmy award-winning series,

TOP CHEF, BRAVO partners with NYC & Company, the citys tourism board, to present:

TASTE OF THE FIVE BOROUGHS

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2008, 12:13:29 PM »

Anthony Bourdain Talks About Top Chef

Anthony Bourdain answers audience questions at a 2008 book signing in Santa Cruz.

He talks about Top Chef and Tom Colicchio in this segment.

Offline marigold

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:44 PM »
From tvguide:

Top Chef New York Season 5

Episode 1:  Melting Pot

The culinary-arts competition series gets cooking with its Season 5 opener, featuring 17 new chefs descending on New York City.

Padma Lakshmi and Tom Colicchio return as host and head judge, respectively.

Toby Young serves as a new series judge.