Author Topic: Introflashs go here  (Read 42920 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Introflashs go here
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2008, 10:52:46 PM »
Is 23 that madagascar hindu temple we never saw? Tar10

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2008, 10:59:41 PM »
The sad thing is all the introcaps are so obvious
For you, maybe... :lol: I'm still slogging through lighthouse databases  :-[

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
I know but won't tell  :jumpy:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2008, 11:02:07 PM »
One tree Hill panorama for comparison

I don't know, I am hopeless at these and I love them, lol! Where's Boingo?

I don't even want to look at the head, ugh...

I wonder if the wedding horse is not a real wedding but is ta heatre/festival of some sort? Could go w/ a puppet show too...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2008, 11:08:30 PM »

But we know the lighthouse, it is the Salvador Barra one, I think we even have a video tour of it somewhere??
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2008, 11:17:05 PM »
 :jumpy: #14

Holi (Hindi), or Phagwa (Bhojpuri), also called the Festival of Colours, is a popular Hindu spring festival observed in India, Guyana, Trinidad, and Nepal. In West Bengal, it is known as Dolyatra (Doljatra) or Boshonto Utsav ("spring festival").

On the second day, known as Dhulhendi, people spend the day throwing colored powder and water at each other. The spring season, during which the weather changes, is believed to cause viral fever and cold. Thus, the playful throwing of the colored powders has a medicinal significance: the colors are traditionally made of Neem, Kumkum, Haldi, Bilva, and other medicinal herbs prescribed by Āyurvedic doctors. A special drink called thandai is prepared, sometimes containing bhang (Cannabis sativa).

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2008, 11:20:26 PM »
Right you are. Where did we see it? (You guys are so good, I'll relax for a while and let you look up beach donkeys and witch markets  :tup:)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2008, 11:22:44 PM »
 :jumpy:  #24

boiled sheep head — the national dish of Kazakhstan

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2008, 11:24:05 PM »
 :snicker:  #5

yet more typical Kazakh warriors....  :angel:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2008, 11:26:16 PM »
Right you are. Where did we see it? (You guys are so good, I'll relax for a while and let you look up beach donkeys and witch markets  :tup:)

I dunno but I know I took a video tour of it--I thought you gave us the link! :lol:

Speaking of witches markets, #28 is of Bolivian carvings--wonder if they sell them there? Because the bike ride down the cobblesone street might be there...

Where is # 3??
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
Yes the carvings and witch is La Paz, I read somewhere they spit on you if you look at them. lol

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2008, 11:30:08 PM »

I dunno but I know I took a video tour of it--I thought you gave us the link! :lol:

Speaking of witches markets, #28 is of Bolivian carvings--wonder if they sell them there? Because the bike ride down the cobblesone street might be there...

Where is # 3??
angkor wat 

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2008, 11:51:52 PM »
 :angel: #12

possibly an Indian puppet (marionette), also could be connected with the Delhi Puppet Theatre

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2008, 11:54:22 PM »
maybe they sell the Bolivian carvings in the Mercado Modelo, next to the elevador?

http://www.portalmercadomodelo.com.br/
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2008, 11:59:09 PM »
#23 is throwing me off ..Hindu, Thailand?

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2008, 12:01:14 AM »
just thought i'd tell u guys elimination station is up!

and URGGGH like usual, only for US residents.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »
maybe they sell the Bolivian carvings in the Mercado Modelo, next to the elevador?

http://www.portalmercadomodelo.com.br/
La Paz witch market

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 06:15:09 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2008, 12:05:47 AM »
Nice! :jumpy:

How about this for the puppets, the dance, the horse,

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1816792,00.html

You'll find magic in the Kathputli slum, if you know where to look. In one of the unlit concrete huts lining this cramped and chaotic warren of alleys, open sewage and dazed beggars, a boy swallows a sword. In another, a string puppeteer makes his wooden princess do pirouettes that send her dress — hand-stitched by his wife — sailing through the air. In a third home, a ten-year-old girl waves her hands over three flowers and — poof! — a bouquet.

Kathputli is New Delhi's largest performers' colony, home to magicians, dancers, puppeteers, acrobats and drummers whose families migrated here during the 1960s and 1970s from villages across India. An illegal settlement in an impoverished northern pocket of the city, the colony is a thriving paradox. Its denizens invite their audiences into lofty worlds where anything is possible, defying gravity with an infectious joy that rises from the squalor like a rabbit from a hat. Some of its more talented residents have found themselves performing for the likes of Sonia Gandhi, India's most powerful politician, only to return to homes without running water, electricity or sanitation.

The very existence of Kathputli is testament to both the legacy of the caste system, and India's cultural melting pot. People of the same caste historically shared the same job and community, working and living together, raising one another's children, passing on their trade to the next generation. The community into which they were born would determine whether a child would grow up to become a jeweler, a carpenter, a snake charmer, a rag picker, a midwife, a weaver or a cobbler. Although the caste system was outlawed in India's founding constitution 60 years ago, caste still shapes the lives of millions of people who continue to live in close-knit caste communities throughout the country. Such clans are especially common among India's rural poor and urban slum dwellers. Many urban dwellers, like the people of Kathputli, brought their rural traditions with them when they migrated to the cities.

Nor was organizing neighborhoods by occupation confined to the poor. Even a handful of the more prosperous residents of India's modern cities have for years lived in neighborhoods composed on clearly discernible occupational lines — doctors, town planners, academics, journalists, lawyers, government bureaucrats and diplomats all living among their own. Most such neighborhoods have their roots in a decades-old government housing program that sells public land at below-market prices to cooperative societies, many of which are based on their members' occupation.

There is no official population count for Kathputli, but residents estimate there are 2,200 homes, about 70% of which are occupied by a collection of street-performer castes, each defined by their talent. The colony, named for the Hindi word for wooden puppet, began a half century ago with seven tents housing an extended family of puppeteers — gypsies from Rajasthan. Next came the magicians, nomadic Muslims from South India. They were joined, in the 1970s, by acrobats from Mumbai. Today, the children and grandchildren of these pioneers work New Delhi's weddings, birthday parties and the five-star hotel circuit, and many jet-set around the world to perform at international festivals, all expenses paid.

A recent afternoon finds Kathputli's trash-choked alleys shaking with the distant drumming and singing of nine women rehearsing for an upcoming show. Dressed in brightly colored saris, they sit cross-legged in a small room thumping on giant hand drums while their lilting voices croon Rajasthani folk songs. Elsewhere, 16-year-old acrobat Maya Pawar practices balancing a bottle on her forehead, while touching her foot to the back of her head. Scars on her stomach mark the time she was run over by a bus as a little girl, while chasing money thrown into the street by an audience member.

At the other end of the slum, two caged doves flutter their wings in the corner of a concrete room where magician Mohammad Hamid and his father, Sayed Hussein, perform a favorite two-man tricks involving two telekinetic pom-poms. "I have learned all the tricks from my father," says the smiling 18-year-old. He spent years perfecting his favorite, called the Indian basket trick. In that one a boy climbs into a basket, and the magician makes him disappear. And regardless of the changes in the city beyond Kathputli, it is a trick he hopes one day to teach his own son.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2008, 12:12:41 AM »
Plenty of Buddha statues (long earlobes) around with bowls and umbrellas. Cambodia or India.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2008, 12:47:18 AM »
hint for # 10

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2008, 12:51:45 AM »
I'm tempted to say Berkutchy, but it doesn't look like he's hunting with it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2008, 12:55:35 AM »
Thats it, hunting eagle handlers Almaty! I found it when I was looking for the Nomads, I had searched Medieval times and remembered seeing them.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2008, 01:00:27 AM »
forget that

village of Nura near Almaty
Kazakhstan's Eagle Hunting Federation in the village of Nura some 150 km (93 miles) east of Almaty
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 01:06:34 AM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2008, 01:16:51 AM »
On this page it's identified as the "Sunkar Falcon Farm," (also "Eagle Farm") and this page puts it "located at the foothills of Zailiyskiy Alatau."