Author Topic: EP5:10/26 "Do It Like a Madman"  (Read 54712 times)

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
Re: EP5:10/26 "Do It Like a Madman"
« Reply #100 on: October 29, 2008, 01:44:58 AM »
Okay, well I can resolve what flight Ty & Aja arrived on:  Silkair

Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #101 on: October 29, 2008, 01:55:55 AM »
From the blogger at Bayon:
We'll have to check out the next season but the couple was being followed by a camera man and they had to find a specific face in the ruins.
Maybe he saw teams carrying the echo-chamber token to the pitstop.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #102 on: October 29, 2008, 02:02:27 AM »
This shot was taken between 11:47 and 11:52 am (assumes May 4th).

I'd concur that the plane landed on time  :lol:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 29, 2008, 02:02:57 AM »
the blogger was probably just saying that the racers had to run into the ruins and FIND the face that had their clue on, but we just interpreted it as faces ON the actual ruins...that's what I thought anyway..

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #104 on: October 29, 2008, 08:03:13 AM »
So, Chateau, I find that your conclusion about SilkAir being the airline Ty/Aja used to fly into Siem Reap to be correct. Since May 4 was a Ssunday(not a Monday as I reported earlier), then MI616 was available to Ty/Aja. Sicne that would have been their best option once in Singapore that morning, it is very likely that they took it.

SILKAIR WEEKLY FLIGHTS SINGAPORE TO SIEM REAP
 Flight                          Depart                     Arrive     Duration  Stops  Mon  Tue  Wed  Thu  Fri  Sat  Sun      
  MI 616  Singapore 10.20 am  Siem Reap 11.35 am  2h 15m  0                                                          x    
  MI 618  Singapore 4.10 pm   Siem Reap    5.20 pm  2h 10m  0                                                  x    
  MI 622  Singapore 8.40 am   Siem Reap    9.50 am  2h 10m  0                     x               x
  MI 630  Singapore 7.55 am   Siem Reap  11.35 am  4h 40m  1                                            x              
  MI 633  Singapore 2.35 pm   Siem Reap    3.50 pm  2h 15m  0             x                                    x                  
  MI 636  Singapore 1.55 pm   Siem Reap    5.35 pm  4h 40m  1                             x

EDITOR's NOTE - the revision above was the result of feedback from Slowhatch and results in totally different conlcusions.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:24:59 PM by apskip »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #105 on: October 29, 2008, 10:56:50 AM »
May 4 was a Sunday, yes? That's the date posted by all our correspondents, and it's confirmed by the flightboard at Changi; it also syncs with Siem Reap arrivals (although granted it's a winter schedule).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
Nice catch!  :yess:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »
may 4 was a sunday apskip

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #108 on: October 29, 2008, 11:53:18 AM »
Perhaps one of our Kiwi friends can answer this question.  In New Zealand does a person who is given a ticket for speeding have to appear in traffic court to find out how much the fine is; or can a person merely mail in the amount which is on the ticket.  Finally, do the authorities place a hold on this person so that he can not leave the country through immigration/customs until said fine is paid.

So if Terence actually did receive a ticket for speeding when and how did he pay the fine?  According to what we were shown on the aired program, he arrived at the airport at around 9:30 and left on a flight to Singapore at 12:35.

Or do they do in New Zealand  what we used to do in Mexico and include money when we hand over our driver's license?

But although Terence asks Sarah if this is any way to treat a person who received a speeding ticket, was he just saying that to make her feel bad.  From the picture, he does look like the police officer is just giving him a warning about speeding ("I'm sorry") he says to the officer and not an actual ticket which would have meant he probably could not have left the country until it was verified and paid.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2008, 12:22:30 PM »
Aja and Ty give an interview that says they were also pulled over for driving on the wrong side of the road. Because they only received a warning, they did not receive a penalty. So since they got a penalty, I think we do have to assume that T/S actually got a ticket.
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2008, 12:37:03 PM »
I heard a reference on the CBS video by Terence to an actual (not hypothetical) speeding ticket he received. His situation was totally different from Ty's situation. Terence was on a motoroway of some sort in broad daylight with speed limit signs posted. It is the tradition as indicated (not by me) in an earlier post in New Zealand that tickets are always issued for 15 km/hr or more. He was 17 km/hr over.

Ty on the other hand was driving on the wrong side of an unfamiliar road early in the morning after leaving the airport:
"Why did you get pulled over?
Ty: We got off the plane at 3 a.m. I’ll take full responsibility for this. Naturally, you want to be on the other side of the road. I was driving on the wrong side of the road.
Aja: I told you to turn last minute, too. I take partial responsibility."  
So I would not have expected to get a ticket because of the situation and because he was clearly identifiable by his accent and driver's license as an American. In that situation, good sense dictates a warning rather than a ticket.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:33:28 PM by apskip »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2008, 12:53:46 PM »
He has the option of paying online. It's the penalty that's puzzling; it doesn't have the same stink to it as Andy's penalty, but it certainly is odd. If it did not (as was said in the VO) affect the outcome, then why not let them wait it out and be done with it? It will be interesting to see the departure times next week.
(Actual tourist ticket)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:08 PM »
Well, I guess we already know that they got the penalty...

Did anyone notice on the CBS site the order of finish? I guess the 30 minute penalty was already applied moving Christy and Kelly up one spot. I hope that makes them happy  :lol: "FIFTH!?"

Order of Finish:

1. Nick & Starr
2. Toni & Dallas
3. Ken & Tina
4. Kelly & Christy
5. Terence & Sarah
6. Andrew & Dan
7. Aja & Ty

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/amazing_race/recaps/1305/?season=13

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

Don't you guys read TWoP timeline?

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2008, 02:25:53 PM »

Don't you guys read TWoP timeline?

We were waiting for you to put it here....  ;)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2008, 02:28:24 PM »
I couldn't get a decent screen cap of it.   :-[

Offline Mrs Shrek

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Sr. Member
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2008, 07:29:24 PM »
Perhaps one of our Kiwi friends can answer this question.  In New Zealand does a person who is given a ticket for speeding have to appear in traffic court to find out how much the fine is; or can a person merely mail in the amount which is on the ticket.  Finally, do the authorities place a hold on this person so that he can not leave the country through immigration/customs until said fine is paid.

So if Terence actually did receive a ticket for speeding when and how did he pay the fine?  According to what we were shown on the aired program, he arrived at the airport at around 9:30 and left on a flight to Singapore at 12:35.

Or do they do in New Zealand  what we used to do in Mexico and include money when we hand over our driver's license?

But although Terence asks Sarah if this is any way to treat a person who received a speeding ticket, was he just saying that to make her feel bad.  From the picture, he does look like the police officer is just giving him a warning about speeding ("I'm sorry") he says to the officer and not an actual ticket which would have meant he probably could not have left the country until it was verified and paid.
No they don't have to go to court for a speeding ticket (unless it is 50kph over the limit). There are set fines which are issued depending on what speed you were doing. I imagine it would probably be around $NZ80-120 for 17kph over. You have 30 days to pay the ticket which can be done online as Slowhatch mentioned, or with an international Bank Check. If the fine wasn't paid by the due date, it would then go to court, and a hold could/would be placed on a person leaving the country....which as a foreigner would probably mean nothing would happen unless he ever tried to visit NZ again.

I would definitely NOT recommend trying to offer money to a cop in NZ to try and get off your ticket. Although I am sure there are always some cops who can be bribed, generally you would just end up in even more trouble.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2008, 01:08:20 AM »
On the next leg, Aja and Ty arrived in Cambodia a full six hours after their nearest competition. They had little hope of catching up.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/show/CTVShows/20081030/tar_aja_ty_081030/20081030

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
Were our racers at risk of land mines in Angkor Wat?? :ascared
The Amazing Race 13, Episode 5
Te Puke (New Zealand) - Siem Reap (Cambodia) - Angkor Wat (Cambodia)

Should The Amazing Race 13 have gone to Cambodia? And should they have sent the racers to search the vast Angkor Wat complex for a particular temple, on foot, without giving them a landmine awareness briefing first, and requiring that they be accompanied by a guide to keep them on the paths and away from any areas not known to have been cleared of landmines?

Read more about it here:

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001561.html
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2008, 02:52:25 PM »
I think Edward Hasbrouck is the best travel writer today, but I can't understand his position on Angkor Wat. Millions of tourists go through there annually. The people running the complex and facilitating tourism there have managed to keep them away from whatever unsafe areas exist.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 11:16:33 AM by apskip »