Author Topic: Hell's Kitchen Season 5  (Read 288944 times)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: Hell's Kitchen Season 5
« Reply #600 on: May 13, 2009, 04:41:49 PM »
Hell's Kitchen 5, Finale Part 1

This episode opened with a summary of each previous episode of Hell's Kitchen 5. Danny and Paula get to visualize how their restaurant space, half of the Hell's Kitchen dining room for each, will look. They meet with John Janis, HK architect/designer and he will turn their concepts into designs.

Danny and Paula celebrate being the Final 2. Paula believes (rightly, I think) that her capacity to not be affected by champagne is considerably larger than Danny's so she keeps him drinking it for hours. Paula states at the end that "he has been had". After the meeting with John Janis, he will turn their concepts into designs. Paula is stressing candles. Danny wants fish. They both get something of what they want but many design features are still to be determined.

Ramsay tells them that they are about to go to Atlantic City, with departure from HK in 5 minutes, so he has their special advisors come out. What a surprise! It's Danny's father and girlfriend and Paula's mother and sister. They will make design decisions in the interim until Danny and Paula return from Atlantic City.
Paula is naming her restaurant Sun Er Gy and I think (but am not sure) Danny is naming his after his mother Susan Marie (he had an off-the-wall alternate suggestion of "Velvet Hammer"that I think John Janis talked him out of).

On arrival in a huge suite with 2 bedrooms in the Borgata, Danny and Paula use Skype hookups to talk to their special advisors. They learn that Paula cannot have real candles due to fire marshal non-approval and that Danny will not get some column hiding paneling he anticipated. His girlfriend would like to have water somewhere in his restaurant.

Next, Paula and Danny are introduced to a live audience of maybe 200 people and to the President and Chief Operating Officer of the Borgata, Larry Mullen. They will be preparing a 3 course menu in 45 minutes in the final challenge of HK5. Paula's menu is:

Warm Wild Mushroom Salad w/ hearts of palm, arugula, cherry mustard vinaigrette
Shellfish Medley w/ Chilean cilantro broth, using Mussels, Clams and Shrimp
Roasted Sea Bass w/ Parsnip Puree, leeks, pearl onions and pea sauce

Danny's menu is:

Caribbean Lobster Tail w/ chili lime salsa, fried wontons
Crispy duck Salad w/ baby arugula, ginger vinaigrette
Pan-Seared Filet of Beef, tempura fried spring onions, twice baked potato, goat cheese and prosciutto

The judging will be done on a basis different than in the past, but the same overall principles apply. The first dish of each will be sampled and judged by Michael Schulson, the Executive Chef of the newest restaurant in the Borgata. The second dish will be judged by Goeffrey Zakarian, Executive chef of the Water club restaurant affiliated with the Borgata. The final course will be judged by Larry Mullen. Since this is the final challenge, I know that these principles are virtually certain to apply:

1. either chef will win the first dish.
2. whoever loses the first round will win the second round leaving it tied and up to the ultimate decision-maker, Larry Mullen.
3. Larry Mullen will pick the winner.
4. the winner will get first pick of helpers back at Hell's Kitchen

And guess what, that is exactly what happened. Paula wins round 1, Danny ties it with a win in round 2 and Larry Mullen picks Danny for round 3 which makes him the overall winner. Now, Danny states that he will be working directly for Larry Mullen, no doubt in a burst of bravado. He needs to realize that beneath Mullen is the VP - Food and Beverage, beneath that individual (met in a previous episode) is the Executive Chef of the Borgata, and reporting to him will be all the chefs of each individual restaurant. the winner of HK5 will probably go in as an Executive Sous Chef of head Chef, but not as an Executive Chef. He is, after all, only 23 years old so his experience is limited.

Paul, Danny and Gordon Ramsay return on the private jet to Los Angeles and show up at Hell's Kitchen at 11pm to view the progress with the ambience and décor. It's looking good for both. After they get a night's rest, there is now 10 hours to go until the 6pm opening of the two restaurants. Ramsay says there are 6 ingredients missing and he, Scot, and Gloria line up to pull 6 semi-globe lids to reveal the key ingredients underneath. It's the live heads of 6 eliminated chefs, Andrea, Ben, Giovanni, Carol, Lacey and LA. It is now that Danny learns that he has first pick as a result of his challenge win, so you know that he will not end up with Lacey, who is there due to the absence of Robert. Danny states that he is sorry for Paula to be stuck with Lacey. So, Danny picks Ben, Giovanni, and Carol. The only surprise was that Carol was available in the 3rd round due to Paula picking LA in the second round. Paula has Andrea to go with LA and Lacey. I believe that Danny has the edge in personnel, which he earned by winning the challenge.

Stay tuned tomorrow night.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 08:03:32 AM by apskip »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #601 on: May 13, 2009, 05:04:34 PM »
Thanks for all the recaps apskips. I still feel Paula's maturity, attitude and experience will take the cake.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #602 on: May 14, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
Lacey's attitude is going to kill Paula.
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #603 on: May 14, 2009, 08:55:57 PM »
 :bounce :spoiler: :party: >> and the winner of HK5 is >> highlight for text >>>   OMG DANNY WON!! OMG!!!   :tup:  :waves:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #604 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
:faint:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #605 on: May 14, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »
The 2nd place winner definitely handled the loss with dignity as compared to the winner who was over the top. Both could have easily won.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #606 on: May 14, 2009, 08:58:29 PM »
That pretty much sums it up. And the new season is coming up pretty soon.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #607 on: May 14, 2009, 08:59:58 PM »
Nice to see Christina, last season's winner ... and Roc!!!
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #608 on: May 14, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
That pretty much sums it up. And the new season is coming up pretty soon.
Honestly I could have lived without this season ......... bring on HK6!!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #609 on: May 14, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »
When Chef Ji left, that was it for me. I lost my rooting interest. I had a feeling we were pointing towards this ending and I was right.
Just here to visit.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • RFF Assistant Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • So much to watch, so little time!
« Reply #610 on: May 14, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »
I have to say I was a little shocked.  However both did well, it could have gone either way. Congrats to the winner.  :tup:
The choices we make dictate the life we lead.

Offline KitKat

• RFF's Kitty Kat
  • RFF Board Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #611 on: May 14, 2009, 10:13:16 PM »
Wow I was surprised at ramseys choice for winner! Lacey was horrible. Wish Danny had gotten her. Paula's restaurant was beautiful. Danny's seemed more like a fish camp type theme. Anyway congrats to the winner!
delightful just delightful

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!
« Reply #612 on: May 14, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
I loooooooved this season.  Both finalists were great and I would have been happy with either winning.  A big congratulations to Danny.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #613 on: May 14, 2009, 11:08:59 PM »
Wow I was surprised at ramseys choice for winner! Lacey was horrible. Wish Danny had gotten her. Paula's restaurant was beautiful. Danny's seemed more like a fish camp type theme. Anyway congrats to the winner!
I almost forgot about that part. Paula's was gorgeous and Danny's was a bit fishey.

KAT  :hearts:  :waves:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #614 on: May 15, 2009, 12:10:43 PM »
I heard on Bubba the Love Sponge that Danny is a stoner and loves to put the seeds into his butter and call it herb butter. I hope he doesn't put the weed into the steak tartar! :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #615 on: May 15, 2009, 12:59:58 PM »
I agree with the decor assessments above. So it clearly indicates that, by winning despite displaying his lesser taste in decor, Danny showed how important decor is in Ramsay's final decision, i.e. not very.

puddin, for the restaurant name Danny did not follow the John Janis advice and kept it as Velvet Hammer. That too is a non-classy name but it did not hurt Danny enough for him to lose.

Offline Pedaler

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • I love Reality TV!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #617 on: May 18, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
HK5, finale part 2

This is it for the decision by Gordon Ramsay on who will be the next "head chef" at the Borgata resort in Atlantic City. By the end of this episode, all will be revealed in the unique FOX/producer Arthur Smith style. So the summary of what happened the prior episode is mercifully brief since other than competing in the challenge at the Borgata and selecting eliminated chefs as sous chefs did not do that much. The voiceover calls Danny a "self-proclaimed redneck" and Paula an elegant Brazilian. The audience is reminded that Paula won 5 challenges. The past competitions are acknowledged briefly:
HK1 Michael vs. Ralph
HK2 Heather vs. Virginia
HK3 Roc vs. Bonnie
HK4 Christina vs. Petrozza.

All those winners (first column) are there for the announcement of the HK5 winner.

The finalists make comments about their dream team of support. Danny says "I got Ben; I didn't get Lacey." Paula says her dream team is "anyone but Lacey" but knows that she is stuck with her. Carol reveals to the camera that she really wants Paula to win because Andrea is a woman. Hopefully her professionalism will overcome that and she will perform for Danny. If she doesn't it will be to her future career detriment, as nobody wants someone who cannot perform in a range of tasks and who lets personal issues get in the way of job performance. There is a very brief opportunity for Ben to proclaim Danny the best. Giovanni is upset that he has to be there and apparently doesn't care how it finishes since it's not himself in the finals. Paula make  it clear to Lacey what her expectations are and that she needs to change her attitude. What a bunch of duds except for Andrea and Ben!

Kitchen prep is for 60 to 70 diners, a bit less than the full capacity of the Hell's Kitchen dining room but understandable in view of the desire of Gordon Ramsay's apparent desire to lighten the load and give both chef/sous chef staffs the maximum opportunity to succeed with a large viewing TV audience certain to eventually watch it. That will do the most good for the loser of this competition, since the winner's future is secure. Paul exhorts her team to get everything prepped and to work as a team. Lacey rewards her with inattention to a crème brulee, which has to be redone. Danny's cranberries and pork are a potential problem. Ben claims he will be going at full force tonight, so watch out.

Paula's menu has 3 appetizers, 3 entrees, and 3 desserts. We did not get exposed to all of it, but here are the parts I could figure out:
Appetizers - homemade pasta; eggplant basil puree; scallops
Entrees - Halibut with panchetta; Chicken; Pork
Desserts - Banana Crème brulee with whipped cream

Danny's menu is:
Appetizers - arugula salad with ginger vinaigrette and crispy duck breast; lobster; quiche
Entrees - 8 oz. filet mignon pan seared, tempura fried spring onions, baked potato; monkfish; pork (probably with cranberries)
Desserts - persimmon poached pear; marscapone mousse

Ramsay samples all 18 dishes and makes comments on a few. Paula is warned that the halibut can come out dry. Her crème brulee had the consistency of scrambled eggs, so he ordered her to redo it. Danny is warned to make sure the duck is cooked enough. Ramsay's overall comment is that both menus are excellent.

It's time to assess the restaurant décor. SunErGy has candles and a range of strong colors. Velvet Hammer (Danny decided on that finally; I think he is nuts to demonstrate the limits of his good taste so boldly to the audience) has some candles and looks classy despite the name. Ramsay pronounces them both "beautiful".

Ramsay has a long-winded speech on the importance of all this, as if anyone in the kitchen or the dining room or the home audience did not know this. He then directs Jean-Pierre to open Hell's Kitchen for dining room orders.  The first for Danny is arugula salad and quiche comes in from his father, who says this is the first time ever that Danny has cooked for him, and his girlfriend. The first order shown for Paula comes in from her mother and sister. It is pretty clear how those tables will be voting. Lacey is on desserts and garnishes and Andrea is on meat/fish. It is not clear what that leaves for LA was on appetizers but probably also vegetables. Giovanni is definitely on fish and appears to also be on meat. Ben is on appetizers and probably vegetables, leaving desserts and garnishes for Carol. Giovanni uses this time to say that he doesn't care who wins; he just wants to go home. What a committed team Danny has assembles, Ben who is win him 100%, Giovanni who is unmotivated and Carol who wants Andrea to win!

The first problem is dry halibut from Andrea. Next, Ben has a problem with 2 order of potatoes. Giovanni overseasoned the monkfish sauce. Lacey discovers that the order was not "2 chicken, 2 pork, 1 halibut" but two orders of that so she has to immediately expedite doing garnishes for the second set. Lacey says for the record that "Paula's menu is too complicated and for the first time in HK5 Ramsay has got to her with his yipping English BS." Orders for cipollini onions and spinach fall behind on Paula's team. Paul is tasting everything (just the way Ramsay wants it). Danny says that his team is doing a great job. Danny's team finishes their order first, with Paula finishing soon thereafter. Ramsay cautions that it is quality and not first completion that is critical.

Ramsay says it is two great service performances. He asks why they didn't do that well "for me" earlier in the competition. Part of my answer to that is additional experience gained in Hell's Kitchen. Part is working with the theoretically best support team. Anyway it's not even 45 minutes past 9pm and Ramsay is saying "the winner of Hell's Kitchen is ..." After the commercial he finishes the sentence with "from Florida.' Whoopee, that's clarifying since both Danny and Paula are from that state. The worst drivel in the entirety of HK5 from Gordon Ramsay follows for about 8 minutes plus a second commercial break. Hey, Fox TV, hey Arthur Smith, if you don't have the material for a full hour don't waste the time of the your nationwide audience with pure BS. Andrea says that Paula nailed Danny to the wall. We'll see. It looked pretty even to me.

Finally, Ramsay tells Paula and Danny to step up to open your doors simultaneously. Danny's door opens, revealing that he is the winner of HK5. He goes nuts.  Paula's does not so she goes through his to embrace Danny. Ramsay says it was the tightest competition ever and he tells Paula well-done. Paula says she is walking out of here a winner (which is very true). The decision was based on comment cards plus his own observation of the kitchen. However, he does not reveal how the chefs did on each of those criteria. Ramsay says Danny's level of growth has been extraordinary. He says that Paula had given consistent excellent performances.

Ramsay says he is starting a new Hell's Kitchen tradition, the Wall of Fame. Pictures of winners of HK1, HK2, HK3 and HK4 are already there and Danny's picture goes up to join them.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #618 on: June 11, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
TVBizwire
Gordon Ramsey’s Mom Forces Him to Apologize for Sexist Rant About Pigs and Breasts Slashfood.com;
TVWeek
Gordon Ramsey, star of “Hell’s Kitchen” on Fox, after hearing how inappropiriate he had been from his mom, apologized for remarks he had made comparing a TV host in Australia to a pig with multiple breasts, says slashfood.com.

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #619 on: June 11, 2009, 01:32:33 PM »
Gordon Ramsay is known for his over-the-top chewing chefs out on Hell's Kitchen. This incident is clearly his style, whether he recants it or not, although he is usually smart enough to not use it on the press. People who can't handle lots of lots of profanity censored out should not atttempt to watch Gordon in Hell's Kitchen or Kitchen Nightmares because they will be grossed out. I consider this style to be Gordon's least attractive personal characteristic.

Offline BrandonP

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #620 on: June 17, 2009, 09:24:38 PM »
For anyone who is interested, Carol Scott (from Hell's Kitchen season 5) was a Las Vegas Stripper at The Crazy Horse as "Christine" I know this because I used to party with her back in the day! She is so Hot!

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #621 on: June 18, 2009, 08:39:43 AM »
Interesting. I like Carol.

Yeah, about Gordon's rant against the Australian TV anchorwoman, many people say they are now boycotting Chef's restaurants and TV shows. I'm not happy with his rant and may not watch the upcoming season.
Just here to visit.

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #622 on: June 19, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
For anyone who is interested, Carol Scott (from Hell's Kitchen season 5) was a Las Vegas Stripper at The Crazy Horse as "Christine" I know this because I used to party with her back in the day! She is so Hot!

Interesting. I'm glad she has successfully changed her career for the better.  :yess: I was shocked that she didn't win to tell you the truth, I thought she was the better chef.

Welcome to RFF Brandon!
 :welcome: :ty4posting

Offline TexasLady

• Forum Moderator
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #623 on: June 19, 2009, 11:06:24 AM »
Ramsay has been in a great deal of financial trouble and personal problems, he didn't need to exacerbate his problems with this asinine interview. It's a good thing that he apologized but it would have been far better, never to have said it in the first place.  I agree with you apskip and Ken.

Offline ugot2bekidinmeny

• RFF's Goodwill Ambassador
  • I Live at RFF
  • No more wire hangers EVER!
« Reply #624 on: June 19, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »
 :duno: I'm not sure if anyone out there has seen his other show "the F  word" but it's a great show! he's NOTHING like what he is on hells kitchen.. he's actually seems like a fun guy!! (BTW F stands for FOOD).

the person that got chewed out must know that if they are doing the interviewing there is a slight chance of him showing that pathetic "donkey" side of him!!  even if he was outa line!  :meow:

anyway.. if you get a chance the show is on the BBC he's on his 3rd season of it so he can't be doing too bad finacially. :2cents:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:30:59 PM by ugot2bekidinmeny »
zero, zilch, nada, nothing!