Author Topic: The Amazing BBC Box  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
The Amazing BBC Box
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:34 AM »
 :lol:  Only the BBC could come up with this idea... track a shipping container (box) around the world for a year. 

For those die-hard TAR fans you just can't get enough.   :funny:  I kid you not.   :snicker:

BBC - The Box

:angel:

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing BBC Box
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 12:57:12 PM »
I'm glad they did a sidebar story on Malcom McLean. Not many people can claim to have changed the world, but that's what's happened with containerization.

For our purposes, if you happen to see a vessel in a photo, there are a different routes to a solution. You can try the world map, which also lists talls ships, cruise ships and yachts: it sometimes lists past positions, but since it's on the honor system it's only as accurate as the data the skipper gives up. If all you have is an image, try to make a guess at a shipping line: it makes slogging through photo databases like this a lot easier (the color schemes are more individual than you might think). If you know the port this site provides arrivals (no archive) as well as port details and maps; also, the port itself might have a website. Your best bet for past schedules would be the shipping line itself: for example, this is Maersk and this is Evergreen. If you're lucky enough to have a container number, you could try one of the links here.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: The Amazing BBC Box
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:20:40 PM »
Heee...I ship containers and many is the day I have wondered just where my container might be!

That show might be a LOT more interesting than it appears at first glance! Thanks Slowhatch!
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.