Author Topic: EP1: 9/28 "Bees are Much Calmer than All This!"  (Read 68295 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP1: 9/28 "Bees are Much Calmer than All This!"
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm not emasculated! Oh, it's the other Ken. :lol:
Your so adorkable, lol

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2008, 06:02:09 PM »
Do Anita & Arthur (the beekeepers) say the phrase?  The team that says the quote of the episode usually (I'm not certain if it's always) stays in the competition?

In any case, I'd probably do the cargo net if I was on the Amazing Race.  It'd be a whole lot easier (in my eyes) than going up those church steps on my hands and knees.

Belle Book

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2008, 03:22:17 PM »
Dream On Ryan   :funny:

MSNBC
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline gingerman28

• Senior Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • GMan
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2008, 07:28:56 PM »
Interesting to note that TV Guide for Next Week Sept 29 - Oct. 5 has a pretty complete description of the events of Ep 1.  Seems that one of their reporters accompanied the teams from Los Angeles to Salvador, Bahia and gives a good description of the two DETOUR tasks.  Included in his description is the "secret" that once the teams climb up the cathedral steps on their knees they must answer the question "how many steps did you climb" (correct answer 53) before they get the directions to the first pit stop.(Picture included)  The other task is, as we know, is climbing down the cargo net (picture included). He also describes how the teams must camp out one night with bugs, bugs, bugs interrupting their sleep.  He does not say when this happens, so maybe the teams must camp out in the wilderness overnight after arriving from Rio before they can do the tasks the next day.  This probably is the case considering the times need for travel and has been a staple of most TARs during the first ep.

Here's hoping Puddin can lift the entire article and reprint it here.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13:57 PM »
Oh the hard copy tvguide, thats what you meant Gman. I won't get mine until tomorrow, darn snail mail  :lol:
Thanks for the details Gman! So Chateau's spec that they camp over night via 19 BC looks right on!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »
 :jam: :jumpy:
Remember this?  Mosquito nets, repellent, chainsaw, ....

I suspect they will be camping out in the jungle behind the 19 BC compound.  Here is what they do at 19 BC YouTube

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 03:17:13 PM »
Brazil Nut
Our reporter  runs wild in South america on the first leg of the Amazing Race
by Craig Tomashoff

It seemed like a good idea at the time: Run a leg of the amazing race to see if I’ve been justified all these years yelling at the screen telling the teams of the cbs’s Emmy winning, continent-hopping reality show how every move they make is a stupid one.
I happily volunteered to take a run at the first leg of season 13, Bertram Van Minster and Elise Doganieri promised that from the very first minute, “its going to be demanding.. People are going to be very tired and cranky.” Going on vacation with 2 kids under the age of 7 is tough, and I’ve done that. Anything else has to be a breeze.
I meet 11 teams at the starting line inside Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, where they’re honing their strategies to snag $1 million prize. Fraternity brothers Andrew and Dan hope to lure in attractive women, lulling the competition into “a false sense of trust that gives us the power when the time is right.” Married-but separated Ken & Tina want to keep their special skills ---secret ---especially the survival strategies Tina picked up while stranded on a South Pacific island after a hurricane. Comic book—loving best friends Mark and Bill try to lower expectations, admitting that while some think the race looks easy on TV, “this will take amazingly longer than it seems.”

They’re right. This journey of 33,000 miles doesn’t begin with a single step. It starts with a seat on the plane – coach class—for much of the next 24 hours. It could be worse :I could be six-foot-plus Ty (racing with girlfriend Aja), who can’t fold up enough to fit in his space. Finally we touch down on Salvador, Brazil. As the arriving teams negotiate cab rides into the city to look for their first clue. I take advantage of my gate- crasher status and head straight for the legs first significant Detour challenge, in which teams choose one of two options. Option 1: Climb down a 240-fiit-high rope ladder strung from the top of Salvador’s famous Elevator Lacerda. I ride to the top.

Stepping onto the ladder, I treat it like I do when I give blood: Close my eyes and it’ll be fine . I’m able to stick to that for all of five minutes before peeking to see how much further I have to go. Bad idea –I’m not even halfway down. By the time I reach pavement 20 minutes later, it appears to the locals as though I’m so happy to be done that I kneel to kiss the ground. The truth, however ,is that my legs have the consistency of grape jelly and I can’t walk.
Next I drag myself across town to the other detour option: Climb the stone steps of the 18th-century church on your knees then answer the mystery question. Teams who complete these challenges go onto the pitstop.
I channel my inner toddler and crawl right up, even though the knees get so banged up I feel like an NFL quarterback. At the top, the leader of the Brazilian drum band serenading the teams asks “ How many steps did you just climb?” I pause for a few seconds , trying to make it look good. Then I correctly announce “53!” (OK, so earlier in the day I’d sneaked a peek at the producers hand book and saw the question and the answer).

Maybe it is the bit of deception or the thrill of the rope climb, but I am even more certain I’d been justified in mocking all 11 race teams that have come before me, right up to the moment I meet up with them at their campsite in a bug infested, muddy patch of jungle inside a military base. Everybody has his limits. Many of mine involve insect encounters.
Several of the men, like Dallas (running with mom, Toni) and Nick (with his sister, Starr), wander around among the bugs, shirtless and fearless. Texan divorcees/best friends Kelly & Christy brag about the huge tarantula they’ve squashed with a shoe. Comic- book guy Mark is already convinced he’ll never again think the race is too easy.
Neither will I. Maybe if I were really in the hunt for the $1 million, I’d slip into the mosquito for the night, too. But I’m not, so instead I slink off to the air-conditioned hotel comfort of a Salvador hotel, vowing never to disparage any race teams efforts again.
Still, I don’t want to end my time on the road as a total wimp. I push myself to tough out one last challenge that’s really more speed: It turns out the hotel bar doesn’t have Chianti. So I settle for Merlot.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 01:08:19 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »
Ya think thats Craig on the left?

Offline 2old4tech

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2008, 04:05:54 PM »
Yup...I do.  And the guy in the black T-shirt is probably in the TV Guide photo, too.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »
Yeah he cheated, he did not read the "handbook" he had a dry run thru, lol ..

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2008, 04:34:09 PM »
this is all so exciting - i can barely contain myself!!! :wohoo:
i'm having  a premiere party at my house - too bad most of you are not in northern ca!!

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2008, 04:37:57 PM »
so is that kelly/christy & mark/bill climbing down the net in that tvguide photo? do we know who did what - or even if anyone (other than the reporter) actually did do the stair detour? i guess someone must have but i didn't recognize anyone in the photos here - i know i'd give it a miss in favor of the net!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »
No pictures of which teams have done the step/detour but we have Nick & Starr, Christy & Kelly, now Mark and Bill on the cargo net and the mystery team who some think might be Stephanie and Anthony ..

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #64 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13:57 PM »
 :yess:

again,,, Nick and Starr

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
good catch!   :gj:

so we know at least andrew/dan did the stairs..all i can say is - Ouch!

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 08:12:45 PM »
thanks to my digital tv guide I can now see thats Terance and Sarah not Christy & Kelly on the net.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 08:46:22 PM »
 :lol:  ... oh, now I see, they have to haul their candy with a "toy truck"...  :funny:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2008, 06:44:30 PM »
omg I can't wait!!
The sound of excitement!
The Amazing Race is nowhere near as thrilling as its score
Dean Robbins on Friday 09/26/2008

The soundtrack makes us think we're having fun.
  The new season of The Amazing Race (Sunday, 7 p.m., CBS) begins with edge-of-the-seat excitement. Eleven pairs gather in Los Angeles to kick off the race around the world. The host reveals their first destination — Brazil — and they're off! Accompanied by a soundtrack of deafening drums and screeching brass, the pairs jump in their cars and speed off to the airport! But they're slowed by L.A. traffic! And the airline ticket lines are excruciatingly long! Then they endure the endless flight to Brazil as the soundtrack reaches a fever pitch!

Hold on. In reality, there's nothing very exciting about inching forward in traffic, waiting in line and taking a long intercontinental flight. The deafening drums and screeching brass just make us think it's exciting. With that kind of soundtrack, I bet even this blurb would be a heart-pounding thrill ride.

http://www.isthmus.com/arts/article.php?article=23853
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 07:31:57 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
But they're slowed by L.A. traffic!
That's odd ??? ...Given the time (late Tuesday morning) and route provided by Chateau, traffic shouldn't have been a problem. Maybe a few minutes are wasted searching for onramps/offramps/ParkOne, but that's about it. Caltrans doesn't have an archive function the way Seattle does, so I can't tell if there was an accident that day.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2008, 09:51:14 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 09:57:51 PM by puddin »

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »
Okay, who is now bummed that we aren't in HDTV after watching survivor?  Oh and do we have a game this season?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
Okay, who is now bummed that we aren't in HDTV after watching survivor?  Oh and do we have a game this season?
We're still working the game out mswood.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2008, 01:44:47 PM »
Thanks Puddin, I thought perhaps I missed it, and I didn't want that Canadian to get to large of a lead.