Author Topic: EP1: 9/28 "Bees are Much Calmer than All This!"  (Read 68301 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
EP1: 9/28 "Bees are Much Calmer than All This!"
« on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:21 PM »
In the works more to be added later   :waves:

Leg 1

Los Angeles, LAX/ Chicago, ORD 4/22/08
peachs brings us a blog entry
dated 4/22/08:
*"This time, as we were waiting for the team to get checked in at the airport, we got a glimpse of what appeared to be some competitors on The Amazing Race.
*I saw a camera crew shooting two blondes wearing hot pink sweatsuits as they quickly walked outside the terminal. Hmmm, don't think we've ever seen THAT kind of team before on the show (says she with heavy sarcasm).
*A few minutes later, we caught a glimpse of two more pairs

peach contacts the writer of the blog and brings us more details:
*She saw the teams on 4/22 at about 11 AM outside the Delta terminal 5. Looking from inside the terminal out, the teams would have been moving to the right.

Chateau d if does some amazing detective work by visiting LAX and gets details:
* The gal said there was one team that was 'hippie' like with long white hair (she demonstrated with her hands at mid chest level). 
*They were an older couple, as in, male and female.  She estimated their ages to be 40's or 50's.  She also mentioned the two girls and another team that was just a regular young couple in their 20's.
*I just point blank asked "Where were they flying to?"  And he said "Brazil.     Sao Paulo, Brazil"
*He also confirmed the Hippie couple.  They are old enough to be originals from the 60's.
*He said there were 5 teams going via UA and 6 teams via AA.
*So there you have it:   11 teams of two.  Off to their first destination in Sao Paulo.

Thanks to Kogs, do we have our first contestant sighting? -- picture credit flickr ChristiaanV

peach contacts ChristiaanV , he kindly shares more details.
*We saw The Hippies, we saw the Blondes in Pink, and we saw what we would describe as two 23-26 year old "Slacker Dudes"
*This guy was with... what we were guessing his mom

Rio De Janeiro International Airport 4/23/08

Some new info here:

*From Cordoba, we were to have a stop over in Porto Alegre another stop in Sao Paulo and then arrive in Salvador in the afternoon. Because of fog, the airport in Porto Alegre was closed, so we had to detour to Rio and from there, fly to Salvador, which was actually much more efficient and convenient.
*At the airport in Rio, we noticed several film crews and people in teams of two, often wearing matching outfits.
*These two girls from Texas (according to their t-shirts anyway) were wearing matching black biker shorts, bright pink tank tops and a ton of make-up. I think the t-shirt was pretty accurate.
*Anyway, we noticed them being interviewed by the film crews, acting out dramatic situations and so-on.
*When it came time to board we talked to some of them and lent one of them our brazil book, although they didn..t give us many details about what they were doing.
*There was a delay in taking off and one team asked if they could move closer to the front.
*As soon as they did, all the other contestants tried to do the same.
*It was kind of annoying becuase I think it delayed our take-off even more. Anyway, at that point, we were pretty confident that if it wasn..t The Amazing Race, it was an amazing race of some sort.

Salvador da Bahía, Brazil 4/24-4/25/08

Shacklebolt @Twop's, Salvador de Bahía, Brazil April 24th? to April 25th? ,more info throughout this thread.

ART And CULTURE Friday, 25 of April of 2008
It records? of Reality Show it explores points tur?icos of the capital Ascom

*The bahian capital is the scene chosen for the writings of reality American show "the Maratona", an international competition where teams cover some countries fulfilling a series of tasks. The program, that counts today on a hearing of more than 50 million people per year, already is being recorded in some of the main tourist points of Salvador.

*In the morning of this thursday (day 24), the competitors of reality show had had that to go down, in the style rappel, the 70 meters of the Lacerda Elevator. To carry through the test, that called the attention who passed for the place, the filming team installed a net to the long one of the elevator.

*Still inside of the actions of the program, new writings are foreseen tomorrow, of this time in the Maritime Terminal of Salvador, in the Commerce.

* Until the moment, already they had served of location for the international production
**the Square of the Sé, the Inclined Plan Gonçalves,
**the Order Third of the San Francisco (Historical Center),
**the Slope of the Carmo and the staircase of the Paço

Chateau d if:
This shot was taken here between 9:45 and 9:59 am (assumes April 24th)

Photos below thanks to schwarzmoor's find and with the help of Neobie, Boingo, and Chateau d if , to name a few ...

Map thanks to Boingo

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 12:51:28 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP1~ Leg 1 9-28 *working title*
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »
tv guide~
Episode Detail: - Amazing Race 13
The race begins with 11 teams departing the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and flying to Salvador, Brazil, where they must either climb up a large stone staircase on their hands and knees or climb down a 240-foot cargo net. The first pit stop is Forte São Marcelo and the last team to arrive is eliminated.

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, thanks Slowhatch

vehicles

candy

Anthony and Stephanie

Anita and Arthur

Andrew & Dan

Toni & Dallas

Tina & Ken

Terance & Sarah

Kelly and Christy

Detours

Elevator Lacerda climb down a 240-foot cargo net (ride to the top)

Kelly & Christy

Sarah & Terance/ Mark & Bill

Nick & Starr

Igreja Do Santissimo Sacramento Do Passo,
climb up a large stone staircase on their hands and knees,  thanks Boingo
(Climb the stone steps of the 18th-century church on your knees then answer the mystery question ( 53 steps) )

Dan and Andrew

misc for now
Nick & Starr

Terance & Sarah

19 BC  military base, thanks Chateau ( a campsite in a bug infested, muddy patch of jungle inside a military base)

Chateau d If:
This shot was taken here between 11:01 and 11:19 am (assumes April 24th).

Forte São Marcelo, thanks Boingo
<<misc

Could be teams waiting to leave Forte Sao Marcelo pitstop and onto leg 2, thanks Slowhatch and Chateau

Philiminated, Sadley
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:20:55 AM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:43 PM »
promo/introcaps
#5 promo Neobie: Salvador skyline
#10 promo & #11 promo #14 promo Boingo: Fort Sao Marcelo Bahia ,Salvador
#12 promo  Elevador Lacerda, Bahia, Salvador
  #15 Bahia, Salvador
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 06:03:06 PM by puddin »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 04:20:54 PM »
:jumpy:  Looks like the picasa pictures of the cluebox in Brazil are actually near the Sao Francisco Church along Ladeira de Carmo in Salvador (Bahia) Brazil.

Note baroque blue/white building in background with fancy pointy things on roof.  Cluebox is to the left of the church front (not seen very well in pictures).

Edited to Add:
A Igreja de São Francisco (The Church of Saint Francis) and its attached convent are up the cobbled streets and to the left at the far side of the Terreio de Jesus, standing at the end of an adjacent square (Praça Anchieta), beyond a large stone cross.

:snicker:  This is it!   :wohoo:    (so many churches in Bahia)   ;)
Praça Anchieta

:lol:  The Amazing Snack Shop   :funny:

FWIW:Changai Snack Shop

Refreshments Changai and Perez - sandwich of ham
Address: Rua Conselheiro Saraiva, No. 32, Commerce., Bahia
Telefone: 3242-8270 Phone: 3242-8270

I noticed that in Matt's shots there are pieces of Yellow and Red tape laid out in a line at the steps of San Francisco Church, just inside the gate.

I suspect this is where teams must wait/sleep until morning.   :snicker:

Opps, not San Francisco Church, Thanks Boingo, (I was just being sloppy):  Igreja Do Santissimo Sacramento Do Passo

Not to mention that you already saw it.  But I didn't know what you were talking about  :groan:

Lots of red and yellow on that staircase on the 23rd of April. Task for our racers?

I noticed that in Matt's shots there are pieces of Yellow and Red tape laid out in a line at the steps of San Francisco Church, just inside the gate.

:angel:  actually it's a different church (reminiscent of the Spanish Steps of Rome) called:
Igreja Do Santissimo Sacramento Do Passo

:lol: just because I can... this is the Rio Branco Palace, former seat of the State Governor

:lol:  because I can, again.... Matts blue/white building is the Terminal Marítimo (Salvador)

In the Salvador shots of the Matt picture set there is a Whiteboard reference to 19BC.  And 19 BC is shown on a building that he has shots of.

Turns out that 19 BC is military base:  2° Companhia do 19° Batalhão de caçadores Operacionais (You Tube Link here)

And if you watch the video you will see the Badge for the 19° BC.  That same Badge appears on the sticker that Mr. Purple Shirt wears.  But in the sticker it is in conjunction with Film Planet Group.  They boast about doing work for TAR before (Season 9).

I think in, sum and substance, 19 BC will turn out to be nothing more than just a dormitory for production.

:lol:  Who knew? .... Rio Branco Palace and top of Elevador Lacerda are right next to each other...  :groan:

:funny: :snicker: ;) :lol:   oh well....   :-[

:snicker:  Found it!  Terminal Maritimo

:jumpy: Found it!  Igreja Do Santissimo Sacramento Do Passo

:ascared  well hidden among the shadows....  :snicker:

:jumpy:  Oh look!   Matt really did visit a fort....   but, is it the Forte São Marcelo ???

hmmm..... I think you can see the only cannon in the GE picture below, along with the curving ramp.  :yess:

In conjunction with Praça da Sé I found our Bahiana

And this location is also known for the Cruz Caída

:jumpy:  Finally found this one..... Matt is standing in the Praca Municipal do Salvador near the Palacio Rio Branco and the Elevador Lacerda (to his right).  That's the Banco Bradesco branch to his left.

...running out of things to spoil, puddin  :funny:   :sucks

:snicker:  Just cleaning up a few things... no new spoilers here...   :carryon:

Found location of Matt's Escadaria do Paço sign pix.  No surprise, they were taken just a stones throw from Igreja Do Santissimo Sacramento Do Passo (church with stairs and drummers) in Pelourinho area.

Photo labeled "Palourinho-Ladeira_do_Carmo" is view of same street from the opposite end (looking uphill).

:angel:  Turns out Matts sign is at the bottom of the Igreja do Santissimo Sacramento do Passo stairs.   :snicker: 

...had a feeling it was right there.  :lol:

:jumpy:  Yay!...I knew Matts sandwich shop would be useful.   :lol:

heres a view of the street from the opposite direction...looks like they normally have street vendors there...

:angel:  Close, but not quite.  This big "C" sign is on Rua Portugal (very near the sandwich shop) but Terence & Sarah appear to be on a narrower street.   

Oh wait, this may be another sign on the same building but on the side facing the highrise buildings.  :yess:

You mean this one?

So, can they roll these things onto the Plano Inclinado Gonçalves?  It is located at the end of the street.

And it goes up to the Praça da Sé where we have another shot of them getting their next clue.

This shot was taken here.

The big picture.... one can follow the trail....  :funny:

This shot was taken here.

just a little more to the left, it's the brown tiled (squarish) building with the hole in the middle.

Here's a view of the back side from the cruz sculpture

So, can they roll these things onto the Plano Inclinado Gonçalves?  It is located at the end of the street.

And it goes up to the Praça da Sé where we have another shot of them getting their next clue.

Answered my own Question:

This is the incline:   :funny:

This shot was taken here between 3:35 and 5:00 pm (assumes April 23rd)

It looks like these two have already signed up for their transport/time.  They are now headed to the trucks that will take them into the jungle.

I looks like teams will be divided into three groups (3 trucks).

:snicker:  I knew I'd find the front of that building on the Praca da Se (Se Square)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:36:00 AM by puddin »

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 05:25:15 PM »
lost
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 06:54:58 PM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 11:43:11 PM by TARAsia Fan »
Just here to visit.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »
BAHIA FORTE SÃO MARCELO

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 01:36:33 AM »
Thanks, Puddin. Below is a cap from the video (00:41). Any chance the Imbimbo cap comes from the upper level of the fort?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
 nevermind :ya3:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:13:43 PM by puddin »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: The Amazing Race 13 *Spoilers Only!* (spoiler summary page 1)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
 :clean :chores  Just cleaning up a few loose ends...   :lol:  Found Matts graffiti (location) at bottom of stairs at Igreja do Santissimo Sacramento do Passo.   :sucks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:19:30 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: EP1~ 9-28 *title TBD*
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 12:14:04 PM »
well this is what tvguide has to say

Episode Detail: - Amazing Race 13
The race begins with 11 teams departing the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and flying to Salvador, Brazil, where they must either climb up a large stone staircase on their hands and knees or climb down a 240-foot cargo net. The first pit stop is Forte São Marcelo and the last team to arrive is eliminated.

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:26:20 PM »
Thanks, Puddin. Since it's unlikely that teams would get excited over the sign-in sheet then dash to the fort, it's time to grab the shoehorn and revisit the timeline thread.

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 12:28:38 PM »
I hope it makes the show!  :lol:
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »
 ;)  Just one more.... Here's the location of the guy and his melon.....

Restaurant & Bar Aconchego Da Fafa

ACONCHEGO OF FAFÁ
Rua das Laranjeiras, 16 - Pelourinho - Salvador/Ba  Cep: 40250-000
Phone: (71) 242-3236
Funcionamento: Seg., Ter., Qua. Opening: Mon, Tue, Wed. e Sáb. and Sat. das 10h30 às 2h; Qui. from 10:30 to 2 hours; Thu. e Sex. das 10h30 às 5h. Fri and from 10:30 to 5 am. \

...oh yeah, AXÉ BABÁ is at the same address...  :lol:

AXÉ BABÁ
Address: Rua das Laranjeiras, 18/20
Neighborhood: Pillory
Zip: 40025-090
Tel: (71) 3321-8539
Operation: daily from 10:00 pm to 22:00 pm.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:44:00 PM by Boingo »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 01:02:41 PM »
I always wondered what the knee pads were for
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:06:02 PM by puddin »

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:11:51 PM »
And maybe the tape on the stairs is to separate the "penitents"  :bow: into different climbing paths.  :js:

Five or six tape strips=Roadblock?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 02:28:32 PM by Slowhatch »

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 02:06:17 PM »
 :badhorse:   "Melon Boy" was here...    ;)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 03:11:02 PM »
I'm thinking that crawling up those stairs on hands and knees (if only once, of course) could actually turn out to be much faster than the Elevador--what with getting harnessed, safety briefing and all.

But not nearly as much fun!! :)

Boingo--thanks for the walking tour! I feel like I am right there...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
I'm thinking that crawling up those stairs on hands and knees (if only once, of course) could actually turn out to be much faster than the Elevador--what with getting harnessed, safety briefing and all.

But not nearly as much fun!! :)

:snicker:  so the Detours are the Elevador Lacerda and the church steps.  Depending on where they are coming from, the steps may be tough to find, as the church is well hidden among the narrow and twisty streets of the Pelourinho.  The Lacerda may be quicker to find.   :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
Good point! Doing might be quicker, finding harder....

In that case I'm choosing the fun one! :funny:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »
with the 11 episodes there should be a roadblock episode1

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2008, 01:03:42 AM »
with the 11 episodes there should be a roadblock episode1
Until more info comes in, I'll vote for the church steps as a Roadblock, with the Detour being climb the rope/push the candy. Speaking of which...

I was looking into the photo below, and, fwiw, the carts are used mainly for coffee--"cafezinho" (explanation at the bottom of this page). Some of the cafezinho "carrinhos" can be quite elaborate, others...not so much. :js:  :food: (no coffee smiley)

Offline north09

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 10:56:23 AM »
I have to go with the roadblock being to push the candy. In the clip of Terrence and Sarah, he seems to be doing most of the work, shes just taging along with the local. I can see the detour being a "climb up" or "climb down" type of thing.

Offline Dragoondaniel

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »
I have to go with the roadblock being to push the candy. In the clip of Terrence and Sarah, he seems to be doing most of the work, shes just taging along with the local. I can see the detour being a "climb up" or "climb down" type of thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the candy task is one of those Additional Tasks and not the Roadblock OR Detour since it doesn't seem relevant to the net climb nor does it really fit into what a conventional Roadblock tends to be like.

The Detour would, as what North suggested, be probably the climbing down of the net or the climbing up of the stairs, pictured above.

The Roadblock I'm not too sure, and there might or might not even be a Roadblock, given past seasons' (except TAR1 & 12) which have had no Roadblocks.

Anyway, we have one pic of either Marissa or Brooke being rather upset and in tears, kinda, in a boat-ish/beach-ish kinda place. Could that be the RB?

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 11:36:29 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the candy task is one of those Additional Tasks and not the Roadblock OR Detour since it doesn't seem relevant to the net climb nor does it really fit into what a conventional Roadblock tends to be like.

The Detour would, as what North suggested, be probably the climbing down of the net or the climbing up of the stairs, pictured above.

The Roadblock I'm not too sure, and there might or might not even be a Roadblock, given past seasons' (except TAR1 & 12) which have had no Roadblocks.

:snicker:  I have to agree, the "candy/Changai Sandwich/Fenicular/Se Square/small dixie cups vending" is probably just a "busy" task to get next clue.  Leg 1 tends to devote time to get to know the teams (during the mandatory rest stop - BC 19).  Roadblock is usually optional in this leg.   :duno: