Author Topic: Michael McKay (TARA Producer)  (Read 23776 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Michael McKay (TARA Producer)
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »

Michael McKay routinely (and very kindly) answers forum members' questions over on the AXN boards.

I thought it would be fun and informative to share the most interesting of those here as well!

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Re: Michael McKay (TARA Producer)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
I found this quote very interesting in terms of helping us to understand what the race may hold:

"I wanted the third series to look and feel different to the others. I didn't want it to focus so much on the big travel legs of series 2. I wanted to set a route that tested the stamina and endurance of the teams and their smarts. I was keen to establish it as an extremely tough race right from the outset and one that focuses attention on the teams and their relationships. I really do hope fans of the series will love The Amazing Race Asia 3 as much as we love producing it for them" he adds.

Harder racing? Fewer extended pitstops? Hmmmm...
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 04:24:31 PM »
Michael Mckay (TARA3 Producer) has said:

Did K&V REALLY apply to be on TARA3?
All will be revealed on Racers Revealed, Sept 4.

Want  to know more? Have a look over here: :lol:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,13770.new.html#new
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 04:42:02 PM »
I found this quote very interesting in terms of helping us to understand what the race may hold:

"I wanted the third series to look and feel different to the others. I didn't want it to focus so much on the big travel legs of series 2. I wanted to set a route that tested the stamina and endurance of the teams and their smarts. I was keen to establish it as an extremely tough race right from the outset and one that focuses attention on the teams and their relationships. I really do hope fans of the series will love The Amazing Race Asia 3 as much as we love producing it for them" he adds.

Harder racing? Fewer extended pitstops? Hmmmm...

Peach:
There is a difference between harder racing(which is highly likely given McKay's statements) and extended pitstops, which I think will still be needed particularly because of the need for racers to have down time. I also think that harder racing means fewer NELs, which have not been too difficult in part Amazing Race Asia seasons.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 04:48:05 PM »
That's what puzzles me. I think harder racing means less racer downtime and hence fewer extended pitstops. But I am all in favor of fewer NEL's, but I think we will have to have some to make the episodes come out right.

(apskip I moved your previous comment on this to spoilers in answer to banzai's question)
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 09:33:54 AM »
 3 hours ago, Michael_McKay says:   

Looks like my comments about not taking a TARA4 for granted caused a bit of a stir. TARA is the biggest, boldest reality series in Asia (also the most expensive) and season 2 outrated season 1. The series attracts great sponsor support so there is no doubt it is a major success story for which we are most grateful to our many fans throughout the region.

We're so excited about season 3 but I guess I've been producing TV long enough to never take things for granted.

When it is all said and done it is the viewers who decide these things. I hope we can count on your support but we won't take it for granted - promise!

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »
Michael Mckay (TARA3 Producer) has said:

Did K&V REALLY apply to be on TARA3?
All will be revealed on Racers Revealed, Sept 4.

Want  to know more? Have a look over here: :lol:

http://forum.realityfanforum.com/index.php/topic,13770.new.html#new

Haha from what I've seen, I think its really them. Their voice sounds right. They were asked to audition to advert the show? I meant who else can make up like them? Haha. :lol:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 09:59:33 AM »
It was them! :jumpy: Kynt said they had a lot of fun doing it!
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline banzai

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:04:25 AM »
For real? Hahaha. I gotta to see it.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »
I knew it was them  :jumpy:

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 12:27:34 PM »
There is a 30 second Racers Revealed promo on YouTube. In second 12 of the visual display of who applied for ARA3, there is a couple that has to be Kynt & Vyxsin. I don't think they were doing it to promote ARA3. They want an Amazing Race victory!

However, they forgot who owns a significant piece of Amazing Race Asia besides Michael McKay. It's our old friend Bertram van Munster, who would not be likely to allow any prior contestants from the U.S. to screw up any ARA. I know that the standards for who is a Thai and who is a Canadian are pretty lax for amazing Race Asia, but trying to pass off known Americans as Asians is a bit tougher(even for the Chos).

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 12:48:54 PM »
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 12:10:29 AM »
I have sent an e-mail request to Michael for an interview on my blog. I'll let you know if he accepts.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »
Michael has accepted my interview request!! :jumpy: :jumpy:

I'll give you the link when it's up. I'm doing another interview with CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell so I expect Michael's to up sometime late Sunday night (hopefully).
Just here to visit.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »
Michael has accepted my interview request!! :jumpy: :jumpy:

I'll give you the link when it's up. I'm doing another interview with CNBC sports business reporter Darren Rovell so I expect Michael's to up sometime late Sunday night (hopefully).

darren rovell is awesome!!!! he helped me with sports marketing awhile back when i was in school

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
Yeah, Darren's the best as far as sports business news reporting is concerned.

Michael was very quick to accept my interview request, but not so quick to answer my request to send me advance copies of the show.  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 11:40:33 PM by TARAsia Fan »
Just here to visit.

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »
Yeah, Darren's the best as far as sports business news reporting is concerned.

Michael was very quick to accept my interview accept, but not so quick to answer my request to send me advance copies of the show.  :'( :'(

Cool! Try to ask him the tough/objectives questions and maybe ask him to show us Kynt and Vyxsin audition tapes? :tup:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 08:22:37 PM »
Oh KEN!! That is a HUGE compliment to you and all your hard work! :cheer: :congrats: :cheer:

Heee....I have a few questions.  :angel:
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 11:41:33 PM »
Here is what I've asked thus far. If you would like a question answered, please ask one or two questions here and I'll add them to my follow-ups.

Let's start off. You've said in press interviews that this is the toughest race of the three you have produced. Without going into specifics, what made the race so tough?

In the Racers Revealed program, Kynt & Vxysin from TAR12 were seen. Was that an actual audition tape? Did they want to be in TARA? And what would have happened if you chose them for TARA?

There are a lot of celebrities in this particular race. Was there a reason for their selection?

Alan Wu has been compared to TAR host Phil Keoghan (unfairly in my view). How do you think he has evolved as a host for TARA?

What led you to produce TARA?

How much have TAR co-executive producers Bertram Van Munster and Elise Doganieri helped you in producing each season?

You've hinted at a TARA4 on the AXN website. How close is that to a reality and what can we expect for that season?

Will TARA eventually make a stop in the US? Last season, the show did go to Europe adding a new dimension to the game. Could we see a trip to the US in the near future?

This is a total self-serving question, but how did you become aware of my recaps for TARA2?

Will TARA eventually air in the US? I've had to find creative ways to watch the show, do you see TARA airing in the US sometime oon?

Of the first two seasons that have aired, what was your favorite location to visit?

How supportive has AXN been to the show?
Just here to visit.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 09:13:50 PM »

Season 3 is almost upon us, just a few days to go. I can share with you the excitement the production team has going into this season.

Of course season one was exciting being the first and season two took us far and wide. Season three, however, has generated a heightened degree of excitement amongst the crew. We could not wait to go racing. It's hard to put a finger on the reason as we always knew it would a tough race (for cast and crew). I'm really proud of our production team from the amazing camera and sound crews to the producers, art department, local crews and the post production team.

The traveling crews come from Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Hong Kong, USA, New Zealand, Argentina and even a token Aussie here and there ;)

We represent all different cultures and religions and work together as a single team and have a lot of fun doing it.

We hope you enjoy the series as much as us.

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 09:16:57 PM »
Today, Michael_McKay says:   

Sorry folks, I have been doing a spot of travelling. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

christian_padre, thanks for dropping by. Your local team looks to have the goods and I guess all the fans there are hoping third time lucky...we'll have to wait and see but good luck to Geoff and Tisha.

Thank you gaga_interfan, appreciate the support. We love doing TARA so here's hoping season three will be a huge success.

KenshinAsuka, thank you for holding this survey. I was watching it develop on the forum and I'm really pleased Allan is proving popular with the viewers. I knew it would take a while as Phil is a hard act to follow. I'm really pleased with the way Allan has stamped himself on the role and he is obviously having fun. He is also a great guy to work with.

milshe and sprity , glad you enjoyed Racers Revealed, I will pass your comments onto the rest of the production team, and yes it really was K&V!

ronn_franco , thanks for reporting in. Glad you enjoyed it. You too The_Siege but let us get through series 3 before we worry about a season 4 ;)

RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 10:53:15 PM »
I'm waiting to hear back from Michael for my interview.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2008, 07:30:45 PM »
Just to update you, Michael has answered my questions today. I am sending him a series of follow up questions and I hope to have that interview up soon. I will let you know as soon as its published. :)
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »
I have not published the interview as of yet, but I will give you a sneak preview that is for your eyes only.  :lol: :lol:

TARAsia Fan: I'm glad that you agreed to do the interview. Much appreciated.

Michael McKay: My pleasure, I enjoy reading your episode recaps of the series, they’re often very funny (and honest) .

TARAsia Fan: Let's start off. You've said in press interviews that this is the toughest race of the three you have produced. Without going into specifics, what made the race so tough?

Michael McKay: Well, as the Network has already said, it's going to be a tough Race. The toughest Asian Race, sure, but as tough as any US Race too I'd say.

The first few legs in particular are punishing and we've thrown in a few surprises for the viewers. Take nothing for granted ;)

TARAsia Fan: Of the first two seasons that have aired, what was your favorite location to visit?

Michael McKay: Oh gosh, that’s tough. I loved the Monkey Forest in Bali (although the monkeys thought the clues were bananas and kept eating them). I love going to India, it makes for great TV.

That's just a snippet of what he said. He goes on longer about how tough the race is and on his favorite locations. When I'm finished with the interview (and hopefully, that will be soon), I'll be sure to post it here.
Just here to visit.

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2008, 11:52:22 PM »
The interview is now up.
Just here to visit.