Author Topic: unprecedented mistake  (Read 72901 times)

Offline Zack.

• Big Brother Updaters
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Re: unprecedented mistake
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 10:08:31 AM »
That has happened 6 times that I remember:

1. Gary and Dave in that same AR4 went south 1500 miles to Sydney instead of in the correct direction north(before turning east in Japan (I took the Reichen/Chip and Jon/Kelly route to return from Cairns  17 months ago).

2. The famous Alaska scene in AR1 when Joe/Bill were 24 hours behind the 2 leaders.

3. Lyn/Karlyn in AR10 could not get on the best plane first from Paris to New York and had to go via Newark maybe 90 minutes behind.

4. In AR6 Adam and Rebecca got to Chicago maybe 90 minutes behind the other 2 teams.

5. In AR7 Ron and Kelly nmade the single wrong turn near the San Juan International Airport and got to the Miami area about 90 minutes behind.

6. Ray and Yolanda were an unknown amount (but mabye an hour) behind at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

Didn't Chip/Kim get a big lead heading into Dallas due to the (awesome) fog delay?

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 10:21:44 PM »

1. Gary and Dave in that same AR4 went south 1500 miles to Sydney instead of in the correct direction north(before turning east in Japan (I took the Reichen/Chip and Jon/Kelly route to return from Cairns  17 months ago).

Ahem  ;), David & Jeff
Ahem ;), Team Who!

the goats ;)

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 07:11:11 AM »
That has happened 6 times that I remember:

1. Gary and Dave in that same AR4 went south 1500 miles to Sydney instead of in the correct direction north(before turning east in Japan (I took the Reichen/Chip and Jon/Kelly route to return from Cairns  17 months ago).

2. The famous Alaska scene in AR1 when Joe/Bill were 24 hours behind the 2 leaders.

3. Lyn/Karlyn in AR10 could not get on the best plane first from Paris to New York and had to go via Newark maybe 90 minutes behind.

4. In AR6 Adam and Rebecca got to Chicago maybe 90 minutes behind the other 2 teams.

5. In AR7 Ron and Kelly made the single wrong turn near the San Juan International Airport and got to the Miami area about 90 minutes behind.

6. Ray and Yolanda were an unknown amount (but mabye an hour) behind at Red Rocks Amphitheatre.

Didn't Chip/Kim get a big lead heading into Dallas due to the (awesome) fog delay?

zachattack308, all AR5 finalists were on the same plane to Denver leaving Calgary. It was only at Denver that checking their bags actually prevented Colin/Christie and Nicole/Brandon from getting onto the United flight that Chip and Kim were on to DFW; they had to wait for the American Airliens departure. It was only 18 minutes out of DFW that Chip and Kim had over Colin and Christie and maybe 10 minutes more over Nicole and Brandon.

However, the question was what the relative position of the teams at the start of that leg in the Phillipines. It was about 30 minutes and bunched to 0 as soon as teams hit the airport. None of those time differences are "significant" in my judgment.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:16:52 AM by apskip »

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »
I have watched every single season, every single episode and still all of you folks make me feel like "The Amazing Race" Virgin with all of the knowledge that you can delve into at a moments notice.

I bow to your greatness.

:jam: :jam: :jam: :jumpy: :jumpy: :jumpy:

Offline Chateau d If

• Captain of the Obvious
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • Feel the Bern
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2008, 03:28:59 PM »
And just for the record on Colin & Christie in Dallas, they have claimed that they more than made up for that 18 min (or whatever it was) flight difference by using a pre-arranged driver named "Earl".  The ultimate piece of bad luck that brought them down was yet another flat tire in Dallas (unaired).  Earl was fast and their completion of the maze task was fast.
Bernie Sanders:  "We only go around once, we may as well make history as we go around."
Hold Me Closer Bernie Sanders

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2008, 04:34:16 PM »
They kind of deserved it having Earl drive in the breakdown lane.  :lol: :lol:
Just here to visit.

Offline Kogs

• Amazing detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2008, 05:54:29 PM »
They kind of deserved it having Earl drive in the breakdown lane.  :lol: :lol:

noby messes with earl :sucks

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »
Except the flat tire genie. It was pretty clear that Earl lives a high-risk life on the road and sometimes he gets burned. However, Colin and Christie had no alternative. They were going to lose for sure if they did not take major risks, which Earl shared.

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2008, 10:16:09 PM »
So far there hasn't been a very large seperation between the first and 2nd team when leaving the Pit Stop to start the final leg.  OUt of the US 2 person team seasons it has gone from:
0 Minute:  Blake & Paige and Tara & Wil
1 Minute:  Ron & Kelly and Rob & Amber
2 Minutes:  BJ & Tyler and Eric & Jeremy
17 Minutes:  Teri & Ian and Ken & Gerard
24 Minutes:  Brandon & Nicole and Chip & Kim
27 Minutes:  David & Jeff and Reichen & Chip
35 Minutes:  Rob & Kimberly and Lyn & Karlynn
43 Minutes:  Ronald & Christina and Tk & Rachel
46 Minutes:  Rob & Brennan and Frank & Margarita
1 Hour and 2 Minutes:  Dustin & Kandice and Eric & Danielle
and the largest time separation has been
1 Hour and 19 Minutes:  Kris & Jon and Freddy & Kendra

Now the is time separation at the start of the leg.  It is possible that the final leg could have several task in one city before traveling to the final destination and giving a team time to build up a larger lead.

And it certainly would be funny to see a team make such a dumb move.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
  • CONGRATULATIONS TO NAT & KAT, WINNERS OF TAR 17!
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 05:48:03 PM »
Some team going to the wrong Portland would be an unprecendented mistake for sure!  Still, there have been two teams that finished third but weren't able to get to the Finish Line in time:  Team Guido (thanks to falling so far behind in Asia), and Dave & Jeff (who took a risky flight -- I think it was to Sydney -- and couldn't get to Hawaii until the others were already on their way to Arizona, at least).  In any case, going to the wrong Portland and finding out while they're on their way there is as good an "unprecedented mistake" as any.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 06:35:29 PM »
So there you have it, thanks BVM interview posted here .

In addition, the season also happened to play out as one of the few The Amazing Race editions in which one of the competing teams failed to make it to the course's finish line -- an unexpected development that was welcomed by van Munster.

"I like it when people don't make it to the finish line," he said.

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »
So.....that probably means Andrew/Dan make it to the F3 since he also said that those two "make terrible mistakes".

So that leaves only one more unknown team in the F3.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008, 02:12:12 AM »
Now this makes sense, thanks sunnyca
ok, party's over - unwinding here! just remembered that i saw phil on NBC Extra yesterday being interviewing in his home office - just briefly - but i do remember one significant thing he said which i don't think has been mentioned here before -  he said " one team lost some important documentation and some valuables that was ultimately detrimental to their situation in the race, not good not good at all", and then "we make sure everybody gets home safe and sound".

so i'm not so sure about the portland mixup scenario anymore, seems like one team lost (left somewhere or had it stolen) their fanny pack with all their clues and their passports + credit card etc and that's why they don't make it to the final 3.

finally a good quote "New places and new faces make for Amazing Races"!!

I do have this clip on my DVR but not sure how complicated it would be to get it online from there...

Offline scuzneck

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:08 AM »
I just heard the same thing on another board and it is something that I wouldn't have thought of. Losing passports or having items stolen from some racers would definateky mean that they would be unable to join the finish line with the other racers.

A little less drama for the viewer than the Portland, Maine/Portland, Oregon idea but nonetheless a major blunder.

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
ok, party's over - unwinding here! just remembered that i saw phil on NBC Extra yesterday being interviewing in his home office - just briefly - but i do remember one significant thing he said which i don't think has been mentioned here before -  he said " one team lost some important documentation and some valuables that was ultimately detrimental to their situation in the race, not good not good at all", and then "we make sure everybody gets home safe and sound".

so i'm not so sure about the portland mixup scenario anymore, seems like one team lost (left somewhere or had it stolen) their fanny pack with all their clues and their passports + credit card etc and that's why they don't make it to the final 3.

I do have this clip on my DVR but not sure how complicated it would be to get it online from there...

If the team lost their fanny pack with all their clues, passports & credit cards, that would definitely be an unprecedented mistake!  It also means that Andrew & Dan might not be in the Final 3 and might be a decoy team after all, since they were seen in Portland.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »
And we have good reason to believe that the teams finished before 6pm  .. here are the sightings at Columbia Gorge and then the DanDrew sighting at 6pm

At PDX
around 12 noon

in downtown Portland:
2:30pm to 3:00pm
around 4:00pm
Bridge of Gods/Port of Cascade Locks
teams wrapping it up approx 2:30pm -3:30
Dandrew around 6pm, downtown Portland

I have never posted before but have loved TAR since season 1.

Just talked with a co-worker whose husband was hiking in the Columbia Gorge at about 2:30 pm and saw racing teams, vehicles and a helicopter in the vicinity of Bridge of the Gods. He wasn't sure what it was until she called him about the Portland rumor. Could it be the race?
I work in Cascade Locks, and there is a zip line in place right now from the Bridge of the Gods to Thunder Island.  I don't know when they put it up, but it sure wasn't there yesterday!   :yess:  I got there in time to see the camera crews packing up and loading equipment into vans, but a fellow teacher saw two couples ride the zip line down to the island.  This was between 2:30-3:30 this afternoon.  There were helicopters circling the site, three camera crews at and around the bridge, and they apparently paid the owners of the Charburger restaurant to close for the day so they could secure the parking lot which overlooks the river and the zip line.  There were six yellow cabs at the parking lot where the access to the island is, along with more camera crews, and the officer that I talked to said they always stage it so that people don't know for sure how many couples are left.  Does that sound reasonable?
The other teacher talked to one of the cab drivers, who said he picked up two people at the airport from an overseas flight, took them to Newberg where they "ran around and looked for a clue", then drove them to Cascade Locks.  For some reason someone asked him if this was Fear Factor, but he said it was more like a scavenger hunt.  Apparently he has not actually seen Amazing Race himself, so didn't know anything about the usual process.
My speculation is Timberline Lodge for the finish?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:13 PM »
2 couples......... :jam:

I work in Cascade Locks, and there is a zip line in place right now from the Bridge of the Gods to Thunder Island.  I don't know when they put it up, but it sure wasn't there yesterday!   :yess:  I got there in time to see the camera crews packing up and loading equipment into vans, but a fellow teacher saw two couples ride the zip line down to the island.  This was between 2:30-3:30 this afternoon.  There were helicopters circling the site, three camera crews at and around the bridge, and they apparently paid the owners of the Charburger restaurant to close for the day so they could secure the parking lot which overlooks the river and the zip line.  There were six yellow cabs at the parking lot where the access to the island is, along with more camera crews, and the officer that I talked to said they always stage it so that people don't know for sure how many couples are left.  Does that sound reasonable?
The other teacher talked to one of the cab drivers, who said he picked up two people at the airport from an overseas flight, took them to Newberg where they "ran around and looked for a clue", then drove them to Cascade Locks.  For some reason someone asked him if this was Fear Factor, but he said it was more like a scavenger hunt.  Apparently he has not actually seen Amazing Race himself, so didn't know anything about the usual process.
My speculation is Timberline Lodge for the finish?

Offline Slowhatch

• Amazing Detective !!
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2008, 01:11:16 AM »
Gman and others know more about this than me, but if the difficulties arise in the last leg (starting in Moscow), then the visa might be the sticky part. Credit cards are held by production until tickets are purchased, and I'm sure some staffer holds photocopies of all the passports for racers and crew. But Russia is one of those countries that require exit visas (see here). The visa is tied to the individual passport: you lose the passport and you have to re-apply for a different visa.

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2008, 06:30:04 AM »
Good info--kind of scary!  :ascared

If that is the case, then perhaps we need to be thinking about which team is perhaps NOT seen in Portland at all--whether as a decoy or not.

If the team was unable to make it to the finish line for this kind of reason, then it also seems likely they would not be able to be on hand just a few hours later.

If we use that criteria, that would seem to let out Andrew and Dan who were clearly seen in downtown Portland.

RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline patlini

• Amazing Race Detective
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2008, 12:40:33 PM »
going off this previous leg

I could see Kelly and Christy losing something essential

Offline Belle Book

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2008, 05:46:52 PM »
going off this previous leg

I could see Kelly and Christy losing something essential

Unfortunately, so can I.  I hope that's not the case.

Belle Book

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2008, 02:23:15 PM »
Bumped up for the King of the idiots!

Offline michael

• The King of St Olaf
  • RFF Frantic Poster
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2008, 02:23:51 PM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »

:bump

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2008, 02:26:19 PM »
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So what sort of dumb-ass drugs are you on "King"  :lol: ?