Author Topic: Travel Channel nabs TAR cable rights!  (Read 3459 times)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
Travel Channel nabs TAR cable rights!
« on: August 21, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
  WOW! Good news! This plus the news that CBS will have the episodes online this season is so exciting and long overdue!!  :jumpy: :jumpy:

Travel Channel Nabs ‘Amazing Race’ Rights
Emmy Award-Winning Reality Show Joins Net?s Primetime Lineup
By Larry Barrett -- Multichannel News, 8/21/2008 12:41:00 PM
Travel Channel Media Thursday announced that it has acquired the exclusive U.S. cable rights to The Amazing Race, CBS’s Emmy Award-winning reality show that pits teams against one another in a race around the world.

As part of the deal, Travel Channel has acquired the U.S. cable broadcast rights for Season 12, Season 13 (now in production for CBS Television) and Season 14, if CBS greenlights another campaign. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Travel Channel will begin airing episodes of Season 12 of The Amazing Race on Wednesday, Sept. 3 at 8 p.m. ET, with additional episodes airing every Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET.

“The Amazing Race is an iconic American television series that really taps into what exploration is all about—not only the incredible riches that the world has to offer travelers—but the incredible transformative powers that travel brings about in people,” Patrick Younge, Travel Channel’s president and general manager, said in a statement. “The Amazing Race is simply the best travel reality format in the world, and it will nicely complement our stable of popular travel offerings such as Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, and Samantha Brown’s Passport series.”

The deal marks the show’s third cable distribution arrangement. GSN currently holds the rights to the first eight seasons of the show, while Fox Reality holds the rights to air episodes from seasons nine through 11, according to CBS. 

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6589458.html?nid=4262
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Travel Channel nabs TAR cable rights!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 05:36:48 PM »
haha you just beat me to it peach :ya3: , that is one network that I do get  :jumpy:

Offline sunnyca

• RFF Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:38 PM »
excellent! since i missed all the fun of discussing TAR12 with y'all the first time around, i look forward to it the second time!
that reminds me - for those lucky enough to get the Fox Reality Channel (159 on Comcast cable), they're showing the entire All-stars season in a single day (!!) on Aug 31 starting at 8am!
http://www.foxreality.com/showtimes.php?storyId=1832&catid=140

Now that's one heckuva marathon!! I'm actually in the middle of it right now..

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:29:34 AM »
CBS should do right by us and not sell the rights piecemeal. Sell the rights to all of the seasons to one network. Like NBC Universal did with the original Law & Order to TNT. Man, TAR spread over three channels. Not right.
Just here to visit.

Offline Boingo

• Amazing Race Detective
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 09:29:49 PM »
 :yess:  TAR12 starts Wednesday on Travel Channel

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
I saw the commercial and damn I was excited :yess:

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »
When do the old seasons air on GSN and Fox Reality? What season are they on right now?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline TARAsia Fan

• TAR/TARA Updater
  • RFF Donor
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 11:17:16 PM »
GSN is not airing TAR right now. The last TAR Fox Reality showed I believe was 10. I could be wrong.
Just here to visit.