Author Topic: Racing Report Leg 4  (Read 4095 times)

Offline mswood

• "Amazing Race Reporter"
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
Racing Report Leg 4
« on: November 16, 2008, 06:23:32 PM »
Racing Report
Amazing Race
Season 13, Episode #4
Title:  “ I wonder if they like blondes in New Zealand” by Marisa & Brooke (I still can’t tell them apart)
Provided Funds:  $ 120 spoken by Andrew
Pit Stop:  36 hours I would guess
Start Date:  April 30th, 2008

Teams leave the Pit Stop in La Paz, Bolivia in the order they checked in.
1.   Ken & Tina 12:33am
2.   Toni & Dallas 1:04am
3.   Terence & Sarah 1:05am
4.   Marisa & Brooke 1:05am
5.   Aja & Ty 1:06a
6.   Nick & Starr 1:07am
7.   Andrew & Dan 1:08am
8.   Kelly & Christy 1:20am

Fly to Auckland, New Zealand *

The yelling you hear is Ma Paolo going you bastards, I want to go to New Zealand……

Teams must now fly more then 6900 miles to the city of Auckland, New Zealand and then drive themselves (about bloody damn time) to Gulf Harbor.  Once there they’ll have to successfully untie a Gordian Knot* to retrieve the clue from inside.

•   Midas is credited for making the Gordian knot famous as he used a Turkish knot that exposed no ends.  There it remained in shrined until Alexander the Great solved it.

Teams arrive at the International Airport in the following order.
1.   Ken & Tina *
2.   Terence & Sarah
3.   Aja & Ty
4.   Toni & Dallas
5.   Marisa & Brooke
6.   Nick & Star
7.   Andrew & Dan *
8.   Kelly & Christy
•   Ken & Tina use an airport internet terminal to research the best flight option, while Andrew & Dan ask a local to borrow his laptop to research flights.

It appears that teams all manage the same flights from La Paz to Auckland

Lan 985 departing La Paz 1245 arriving in Iquique at 1350
Lan 985 departing Inquique  1515 arriving in Santiago 1725
Lan 801deaprting SCL 2245 arriving in AKL (Auckland) 0355

Teams arrive in Auckland early on the morning of the 2nd of May.

Teams make their way to the marked cars in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Andrew & Dan
3.   Ken & Tina
4.   Kelly & Christy
5.   Nick & Star
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   Toni & Dallas
8.   Marisa & Brooke

Quote:  “Can I have a little love, can you just touch me for a little.  Can you play with my hair.”  Spoken by Terence to Sarah while he drives.  Was the boy emotionally deprived as a child?  Because WTF.

Teams arrive at Gulf Harbor and make their way to Pier C to locate their next clue in the following order.
1.   Ken & Tina
2.   Andrew & Dan
3.   Terence & Sarah (who lead getting to the harbor but go the wrong direction)
4.   Kelly & Christy (Who arrive after Terence & Sarah are finished)
5.   Toni & Dallas (Arrive as Kelly & Christy are leaving)
6.   Nick & Starr (arrive as Toni & Dallas are leaving)
7.   Aja & Ty (Arrive as Nick & Star are leaving the Pier)
8.   Marisa & Brooke (no one else is around)

Teams find the  Gordian Knot in the following order.
1.   Ken & Tina
2.   Andrew & Dan
3.   Terence & Sarah
4.   Kelly & Christy
5.   Toni & Dallas
6.   Nick & Starr
7.   Aja & Ty
8.   Marisa & Brooke (who have trouble locating the knot, they walk past one at least once during pre dawn light, so they are already significantly behind)

Teams find the clue in the following order.
1.   Andrew & Dan
2.   Ken & Tina
3.   Terence & Sarah
4.   Kelly & Christy
5.   Toni & Dallas
6.   Nick & Star
7.   Aja & Ty
8.   Marisa & Brooke

Clue:  Drive yourself to the summit of Mount Eden.
Teams must now drive themselves to the summit of Mount Eden, one of Auckland’s famed dormant volcanoes and it’s highest natural point.  It’s here that they’ll find their next clue.

Fast Forward Clue:  Moving On Up!!  Drive yourself to the tallest structure in the southern hemisphere.

This is the first of only two Fast Forwards hidden on the entire race.  The first team that finds it and successfully completes it can skip all tasks and go directly to the Pit Stop.

In this Fast Forward teams must go directly to the tallest structure on the southern hemisphere the Auckland Skytower (long time no see, oh wait…).  Then using the tower’s maintenance ladder they must climb from the sky deck to the top and pick up a friend.

Editorial Note:  Can I just say, there is no ****ing way I would do this……

Teams get back to their cars in the following order.
1.   Ken & Tina
2.   Andrew & Dan
3.   Terence & Sarah
4.   Kelly & Christy
5.   Toni & Dallas
6.   Nick & Starr
7.   Aja & Ty
8.   Marisa & Brooke

Ken & Tina and Andrew & Dan race to perform the Fast Forward.  But by the time Andrew & Dan get parked at the Sky City, they discover that Ken & Tina have beat them to it and proceed to the rest of the legs tasks.

Ken & Tina are shown getting into protective climbing gear.

The Sky Tower finished construction in 1997 and reaches a height of 328 meters (or 1,076 ft).  It’s a 15 minute climb from the Deck to the first Crow’s next (Unclear if this is where teams had to climb to).

Being gallant Ken allows Tina to go first.  (Oh please when does Tina let Ken ever make a choice).

Teams drive to the summit of Mount Eden and find the clue box in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Toni & Dallas
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Kelly & Christy ( who actually can’t find the entrance, and just walk to the summit)
5.   Nick & Star
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   Marisa & Brooke

“Whose Got an Eye for Detail”

Roadblock:  Match Maori Tattoo

A roadblock is a task that only one person may perform.  In this roadblock that person must be immersed in the local Maori culture.  They must choose an image of a traditional tattoo on Maori warriors.  Then walking among the Maori, teams must find the warrior with the tattoo that matches the one they have in hand.  If their match is wrong the warrior will take the image and the team must start again.  But if their match Is correct the warrior will hand them their next clue.

Quote:  “Please do not eat my Mom”, says Dallas as his mother performs the roadblock.

The team members that perform the roadblock are.
1.   Terence (fails once)
2.   Toni
3.   Christy
4.   Andrew
5.   Starr (fails once)
6.   Aja
7.   Brooke (maybe who knows, I had less trouble telling the difference between Derek & Drew for Christ sake.)

Clue:  Find the City Life Hotel

Teams must now drive into downtown Auckland and find the City Life Hotel.  Once there they’ll make their way up to the rook where their next clue awaits.

It s roughly here that Marisa & Brooke are arriving at Gulf Harbor (that’s how sad and pathetic they are…racing)

Teams arrive at the City Life Hotel make their way to the roof and find the clue box in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Toni & Dallas
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Kelly & Christy
5.   Nick & Starr
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   Marisa & Brooke

Clue:  Gnome Spotting

Teams must now use binoculars to scan the area around the hotel and spot one of these “Travelocity Roaming Gnomes” (otherwise known as a necessary evil) doing New Zealand wish list activities.  Once they spot a gnome, they must find its location and retrieve it along with their next clue.

Ken & Tina are now at the top of the tower and receive their buddy which is of course another example of the producers selling their souls to keep the show on the air (and yes its worth it).

Teams spot the gnomes in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah (Sarah spots one hang gliding on a rooftop)
2.   Toni & Dallas (Toni spots one on a hotel balcony enjoying some wine)
3.   Andrew & Dan (Andrew finds one on a bench with a bike)
4.   Nick & Starr  (Nick spots one in a pool with a kayak)
5.   Kelly & Christy (Christy locates one, finally, in a tree with a parachute)
6.   Aja & Ty (Ty finds one on a roof in a Hot Air Ballon)
7.   Marisa & Brooke (Don’t know don’t care).

What where’s the gnome auditioning for a role on the Hobbit

By the time Toni & Dallas are locating their gnome, Ken & Tina are rewarded with the Fast Forward.  They are directed to drive to an airstrip where they will be carried by helicopter to the Pit Stop.  What no Limo….

Having won the Fast Forward Ken & Tina may now skip all tasks (I want to see a dumb team continue with the rest of the leg, and Damn it.  Andrew & Dan were going for it) and fly directly to the Pit Stop, Summer Hill.

Teams retrieve their gnomes in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Toni  & Dallas
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Nick & Starr
5.   Kelly & Christy
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   Marisa & Brooke

Clue:  Drive to Kiwi 360 degrees.

Teams must now drive themselves (Oh that’s not good) to the town of Puke Whakatane and find this local landmark Kiwi 360 degrees (It’s a giant sliced Kiwi to eat after you kick off your giant shoe and set in the world’s largest chair.  The linz family would love it, they are of course the only ones).  It’s here that they’ll find their next clue.

And in One, Two, Three we have it, the rainbow.

Ken & Tina arrive at the Pit Stop at Summer Hill and are greeted with “Hi, I’m Phil’s Dad.”  They are of course team number one.  They win a trip to Rio de Janeiro (look its Sugar Loaf Mountain, now that.  That was season!,  Oh wait Wil, damn it)

Teams arrive at Kiwi 360 degrees (look I don’t know how to make the degree sign, get over it) in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah (Terence still telling Sarah to wait for him)
2.   Toni & Dallas
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Nick & Starr
5.   Kelly & Christy
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   And which ever team is getting eliminated tonight.  Oops was that a spoiler.

Quote:  “Dear you can’t open the Envelope….” Said by Terence as he takes the envelope away from Sarah.  Now I can’t make out the rest of what he says, but unless he said “look it might have anthrax, let me open it just in case”, then he is an ass.  A giant ass.

Detour :  Matter of Time or Matter of Skill

In this detour teams have to make use of two things associated with New Zealand (let me guess Phil or Hobbits, its got to be one of those).  The choice: A Matter of Time or a Matter of Skill (Damn it)

In Matter of Time teams drive themselves to this Kiwi Orchard where using their bare feet (Gross), they must crush enough Kiwi fruit to make 12 quarts of juice.  When they reach their goal each team member must drink a glass of juice to receive their next clue (Thus the gross.  Kiwi and sweaty, stuck in a car and plane and an airport for two days feet that has to taste great).

In Matter of Skill teams must drive themselves to Blokart Heaven and choose two kits and properly assemble a pair of blokarts.  Then teams have to sail the blokarts around the track.  Once they have completed three laps their track official will hand them their next clue.

All teams initially choose Matter of Time.

Teams arrive at the detour and attempt it in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Toni & Dallas (who arrive while Terence & Sarah have just finished)
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Nick & Starr
5.   Kelly & Christy
6.   Aja & Ty
7.   And team Doomed.

Teams switch detour tasks in the following order.
1.   Toni & Dallas
2.   Nick & Starr
3.   Andrew & Dan
4.   Aja & Ty (long after the three other teams have left)

Teams complete the Detour in the following order.
1.   Terence & Sarah
2.   Kelly & Christy (both stuck with the Kiwi’s and it paid off)
3.   Toni & Dallas
4.   Nick & Starr (Starr overturns her blokart twice, hurting her arm in the process)
5.   Andrew & Dan (Dan has no skill in putting things together, like 2 + 2=4)
6.   Aja & Ty (The sun has set before they put together their blokarts)
7.   Marisa & Brooke (I think are still in La Paz, they are so far behind)

Drive yourselves to the next Pit Stop, Summer Hill.  Teams must now make their way to Summer Hill.  This 1000 acre sheep farm is the Pit Stop for this leg of the race.

Nick why the hell are you letting your sister who is hurt drive the damn car…She eventually has to stop and they switch.  What an idiot.

Team check in to the Pit Stop in the following order.
2.   Terence & Sarah
3.   Kelly & Christy
4.   Toni & Dallas
5.   Nick & Starr
6.   Andrew & Dan (who accost Phil’s Dad)
7.   Aja & Ty
8.   Marisa & Brooke

In reward for being patient waiting on this bunch of idiot Americans, Phil’s Dad gets to man handle Marisa & Brooke who are in tears as they are eliminated.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 06:32:56 PM by mswood »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: Racing Report Leg 4
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 07:16:34 PM »
o

m

g

:faint:

:funny:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 09:17:11 PM »
Yippee! She's baaaaack!! :yess:

LOVE the Mama Paolo reference! :lol:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
mswood, I have two small points of difference with your excellent Racing Report #4:

Kiwi 360  Note that there is no degree sign in its name, but there is one in its logo

Summerhill Recreational Farm Note that Summerhill is described here as a 500 acre farm. An alternate version has its size as 130 hectares, which is 321 acres. I say use 500 acres and be done with it.