Author Topic: ♥ TAR13 ♥ *WINNERS* Nick Spangler & Starr Spangler!!  (Read 82149 times)

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
Re: ♥ TAR13 ♥ *WINNERS* Nick Spangler & Starr Spangler!!
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 01:19:20 AM »

Offline jemima

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »
I LOVE Nick! We've seen him in The Fantasticks 5 times. Four times as the Mute and once as Matt. He has an amazing voice, and is a very good actor, but he's also a great guy. We have gotten to know him, and he is as real as they come. I am sooooo excited to see him and Starr on TV! Amazing Race has been one of my favorite shows for years!

Offline aznchica02

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
I can't wait for the Amazing Race season 13 to start. I've actually never seen the show before, but this time I will because I'm totally going to root on the Spangler sibligs. I've actually seen the Fantasticks twice last year, but that was when Nick played the role as the mute and the American Idol finalist, Anthony Fedorov (the one that Nick mentioned in one of his interviews posted in this forum) played the role of Matt. I've also met Nick after the show the second time I saw it. I got a picture taking with him and I got his autograph. Let me tell you, he's one of the most down to earth people you'll ever meet. I bet his whole family is the same way. One day I would love to make a trip back to NYC to see Nick perform as the lead role.  

If anyone's interested, here's a few more videos of Nick performing songs from the Fantasticks.

"I Can See it" part 1 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9vx7-lzAwt8
"I Can See it" part 2 http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWV7ZiV1Pw

"Soon it's Gonna Rain" http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FQZgM0moHFg (it's the second song performed in this video)

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 09:56:04 AM »
:welcome2:  to RFF jemima and aznchica02! Thanks for sharing!

We can't wait to see them race either and I definitely am adding the show on to my list for NYC!

Great link puddin --thanks!! :kuss:

And FINALLY I get to see all of the videos (this work stuff is interfering with my life :lol:)

The initial impression I get is that this may be THE tough team to beat this season...strong, confident in their own abilities and in each other ...  The brother/sister relationship is going to be so much fun to watch and it will be interesting to see how the other teams react to them! 
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline apskip

• Geographer Extraordinaire
  • TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:31 PM »
I expect that at the time AR13 begins Nick and Starr will still be my favorite team for this season.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 08:59:35 PM »
eventually I will get these all up

Slideshow link

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:22:10 PM by puddin »

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2008, 10:04:06 PM »
I am LOVING every one of these--they are wonderful! So I can only imagine what the racers may think! :happy:
RFF's Golden Rule:
Have RESPECT for each other, regardless of opinion. This of course includes no flaming/insulting other users and/or their posts.

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 02:36:19 AM »
 :hearts:

The Amazing Race 13 Nick Spangler talks to Broadway.tv

Offline Lucky13

• RFF Not So Newbie
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
New article at BroadwayWorld.com with new photos, copy below
http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=31911
The ‘Fantastick’ Nick Spangler and Starr Spangler To Run 'The Amazing Race'
Feedback   Author Bio   Printer-Friendly   E-Mail Article
Enter Your E-Mail Address: 

Thursday, September 25, 2008; Posted: 9:24 AM - by Joseph F. Panarello

"Try to see it under light.  I assure you it's dazzling."   So speaks Henry Albertson, the old actor in Tom Jones and Harvey Schmidt's perennially endearing musical The Fantasticks, which is once again running at the Jerry Orbach Theater in the Snapple Center on West 50th Street.

The actor's words come to mind while visiting the empty performing space.  The stage is still set from the previous evening's performance.  There are some boxes the floor which is littered with confetti.  Behind this, the famous show curtain billows gently from the theater's air conditioning system.  Everything about Ed Wittstein's set is intentionally simple but it comes to life beautifully once Mary Jo Dondlinger's lighting is raised and the pinks and blues that flood the set make it the imaginative milieu for the long-running tale of young love and its disappointments.

A different type of light came to illuminate the darkened theater on that August afternoon. The sound of footsteps approached from the darkness and indicated the arrival of Starr Spangler, the sister of Nick Spangler who is starring as Matt in The Fantasticks.   Emerging from the shadows, Starr proves to be a beautiful young lady.  She's casually dressed in a white blouse and a simple black skirt, but a sparkling gold belt sets the outfit off and indicates that she is a classy gal who knows how to stand out in a crowd.  More importantly, she has a warm and ingratiating smile; the kind that was sung about in the opening credits of the old Mary Tyler Moore sitcom.  In short, Starr Spangler knows how to make a good first impression.

Minutes later, Nick Spangler appears from the other side of the theater. He's been upstairs talking to another media outlet and is dressed in a T-shirt and jeans and it's apparent that he works out regularly to maintain his impressive physique. It's obvious why The Fantasticks' producer Pat Addiss referred to him in print as "a hottie" and why girls wait after the show to get his autograph or have their pictures taken with him. Nick's performance in this vehicle earned him the 2008 Elaine and Jerry Orbach Fellowship awarded by the Theater Hall of Fame at a luncheon at the famed Friar's Club in Manhattan.  Both he and his sister had created a flurry of excitement on theater message boards a week earlier when it was announced that the two of them had been participants in CBS Television's reality series "The Amazing Race" and were sitting down to talk about it.

The siblings hail from California but now call New York City their home.  Nick's been here for about five years and Starr only recently moved to the city.  She's a former Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader and is having a little difficulty adjusting to the faster-paced life that The Big Apple is known for. "I've been in Texas for the past few years and everything down there is flatter and slower.  The pace of New York is really fast but I'm getting used to it."  About her experience as a performer, Starr explains, "I've danced and done cheerleading ever since I was little and I did all through college.  I cheered for Texas Christian University for a year and then I decided to pursue the dream I had ever since I was a little girl and that was to cheer for the Dallas Cowboys.  When I was 18 I tried out for them and have been with them for the past three years.  Now I'm in New York and seeking something in the entertainment industry.  Like Nick, I'm a performer but I limit my singing to the shower." She adds that she'd like to work on the business end of the performing arts.

When Starr explains what it's like to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, a happy grin comes over her face.  "It was a unique experience.  It's a world-class organization and the women are very intelligent.  They come from all over the United States and actually we had a couple from Canada and one from Japan.  It was a very diverse group and the ages ranged from 18 to 35.  It was just a wonderful group of women coming together for a common goal.  The women are classy and the training I received was unlike any other.  We worked with celebrities and did a lot of community service.  We were very active in the community, actually.  I love football, so being at the games was the best part."

Nick, who was graduated from NYU in May, 2007 has been in The Fantasticks for about two years.  He joined the cast as The Mute and understudied the role of Matt.  After "American Idol"'s Anthony Federov left the cast, Nick was promoted to the leading role and has been playing it ever since.  He took a short hiatus to play Jean Michel in a Denver production of LA CAGE AUX FOLLES and also played in THE FANTASTICKS with Lorenzo Lamas at the Casa Manana in Texas.

It's obvious that Nick likes being in The Fantasticks.  "It's so well-written and beautiful that all these casts can make different, wonderful experiences out of it.  To be honest, I think the current cast is a completely different show from the one I joined in 2006.  I'm very pleased with it.  Our fathers [Gene Jones and Steve Routman] are hilarious and everyone is just terrific to work with.  Of course, I miss having lyricist Tom Jones in the show playing Henry."

Tom Jones isn't the only person who Nick misses at the Jerry Orbach Theater.  Bobby Oliver originated the role of Mortimer, the Cockney Indian when The Fantasticks initiated its run at the Snapple Theater Center, but he passed away on February 4, 2008.  "It was a Sunday when we had two shows.  We performed the matinee and between performances Bobby was complaining about some pain in his chest and not feeling well.  Our stage management was telling him to go to the hospital and see a doctor but he didn't want to, so they ended up calling an ambulance for him and they took him away.  At the hospital they told him he was going to be fine but recommend that he spend the night for observation.  He refused and actually came back to the theater and told us he was okay and would see us the next day because his understudy was going on for the evening performance.  When we got to the theater for Monday's show we learned that he had passed away.  He was actually on the train to Long Island where he was going to visit the sister he cared for.  It was a very difficult performance that evening and for several weeks following but we feel his spirit is still around here."

It's interesting to learn that it was Starr Spangler who suggested that she and her brother try-out for "The Amazing Race"  She giggles a bit as she explains how it came about:

"When Nick and I were 14 and 15, we watched "The Amazing Race."  We both wanted to be on it.  So I went on-line and learned that you had to be 21 to audition.  I was disappointed because I felt there was no way it would still be running when I was 21. When I finally did turn 21 a year ago,  I was student-teaching and cheering for the Cowboys when I randomly saw an "Amazing Race" episode from the previous season.  I wondered if they were doing another one and if there was a due date for the applications. Once again I went on-line and found that the applications were due in a week.  At the time Nick was doing LA CAGE in Denver and I called him early in the morning; I don't even think he was awake.  I told him that we had a week to do the application.  I was going to be graduating and he was in between shows.  So I booked a plane ticket and flew down to Denver on Thursday." It turned out that Starr couldn't have picked a less opportune time to do this because LA CAGE was opening on Monday and Nick was doing ‘ten-out-of-twelves' to open his show.

At this point Nick took over the narrative: "She got there and we filmed this three minute video that we did after my rehearsals ended at 11 PM.  We'd work on it until 3 in the morning and I would have another rehearsal at 10 AM.  We did that for two nights.  When the show went into performance, I was editing the video backstage and we mailed it out so we could just make the deadline in time."

Both of the Spanglers are very proud of the video that they submitted to CBS.  Nick claims "It showcases our personalities and demonstrates why we'd be a great team on ‘The Amazing Race'.  Really, editing it down was the hardest part.  I was staying at a Residence Inn in Denver at the time, so we filmed in the gym running on treadmills and in the hot tubs."

While Nick was busily rehearsing his show Starr went to the local Target and got marshmallows.  "I thought we could use them to play Chubby Bunny and show our competitive spirit.  I also got hula hoops so we could use them in the playground to show how much fun we were.   One of the best things I got was one of these big balloons.  I said, ‘Nick, we're gonna do an interpretive dance!  We'll put on music and keep the balloon between us.  It'll be totally weird and completely different but it's something that everyone will laugh at."

Nick felt that the clip was the longest one they had and it was also the most useless because no one was speaking in it.  "We were literally doing plies and we'd turn over keeping the balloon there.  I showed it to my fellow cast members and everyone would crack up at that part, so I told Starr that we couldn't edit it out. Actually that segment may have had a hand in our getting on the show."  Hopefully that audition film will eventually find its way onto YouTube.

"We crossed out fingers and then we got some calls and all we ever hoped for was getting one step further," explains Starr.  "When we found out we were going to be on the show we couldn't really believe it."

Nick and Starr immediately contacted their parents about the show and received their wholehearted support.  Mrs. Spangler is a great fan of "The Amazing Race", so she may have even been more enthusiastic about the project than her two children.  She sent them  a trove of items  to use on their expedition and is responsible for the Army camouflage tank tops they Nick and Starr are seen wearing in the publicity photos for the show.

When Nick first saw the tank tops he remarked, "No way in hell am I going to wear that and match Starr.  No way!  I threw it in my backpack just as a back-up."  Starr interjects here, saying, "He wound up wearing it a lot!"   

There is a significant reason why the Spanglers decided to wear the Army camouflage:  their brother, Captain Martin Jacob Spangler is with the military police stationed in Iraq and they wanted to represent that.  During the race Nick also wears a facsimile of the yellow baseball cap that he stole from Jake many years ago and has become Nick's trademark in New York's theater community. The original yellow cap is waiting to be willed to the Smithsonian.

Both Spanglers agree that participating in "The Amazing Race" strengthened their already solid relationship.  Explains Nick, "There's no experience like it, and to share it with a family member, especially one who's my best friend, was a lot of fun. It's clearly something that we'll be able to look back on and say ‘We did it together.'  We've always been proud of our relationship with each other and it was cool to think that we could be in a stressful situation and still get along." In addition to Starr, Nick and Jake, there is a younger Spangler named  Jovah Love who is a high school senior and just finished Carnegie-Mellon's high school program for musical theater.

As wholesome and close as the Spanglers are, they have no problems bringing up the blemishes their personalities displayed when they were growing up.  Starr turns into Mr. Blackwell when discussing her brother's taste in clothes:  "If you think the ‘camo' was bad, you should have seen Nick's wardrobe in eighth grade!   He wore these shiny metallic shirts and some of them were netted.  He wore them every day and they were really flashy.  Everyone knew Nick Spangler because of these shorts.  One was this bright blue collared metallic shiny fabric shirt.  I mean it was just hilarious!    Later on he wore Hawaiian shirts to school every single day and he became known as ‘The Hawaiian Shirt Man.' I think his wardrobe is what I look back on and laugh at the most!"

Nick counters with comments about Starr in elementary school.  "Starr had a problem with lying.  She was a chronic liar.  She would lie about anything and everything for no reason whatsoever.  We're talking about the tiniest thing or the biggest thing.  There was one day when I was away filming a small part in the movie JACK and when I got back to school everyone was asking me how I was.  It seemed that Starr had told them all that I'd been shot in the leg and was in the hospital.  I still don't understand why.  Also, when Starr was in elementary school she'd show up in the morning and go to the office at the beginning of the day and get the crutches out of the first aid place and then walk around the school on them  saying that she'd hurt her ankle dancing or cheering.  At the end of the day she's return them, our mother would pick us up and she'd be fine!"   

There is genuine chemistry between the brother and sister.  Their sunny dispositions beggar comparisons to Donny and Marie Osmond, but one can't really imagine how Marie Osmond would contend with a 30, 000 mile trek that began at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and took the competing teams to Brazil, Bolivia, India, Russia and Kazakhsten. Likewise, it would be hard to fathom Donny Osmond lugging a side of beef through the streets of a European city as was required in a previous episode of the show.

Sitting on the stage of the Orbach Theater, one realizes these two must have had their share of fatigue and stress during while participating in "The Amazing Race". The show requires them to compete against other teams and race against the clock in hopes of winning the one million dollar grand prize. However, like the aforementioned character of Henry Albertson, these two have "removed their ten pounds of road dust" to share a bench and chat amiably.  It also seems so very fitting that both The Fantasticks and "The Amazing Race" are perfect pieces of entertainment that entire families can watch together.  That alone is a rarity in the current environment of PG and R ratings.  However, it's not just families who will tune into CBS on September 28th to watch the Emmy Award winning "The Amazing Race" begin its 13th season.  Many theater-goers and Dallas Cowboys fans will also be watching to see how Nick and Starr Spangler face on that episode and the ones that will follow.

realityfan80

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2008, 01:16:17 PM »
Entertainment Weekly has a brand new article about Nick.  Actually it's a dairy entry written by him.

Go here!!

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/10/the-footlights.html

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 10:58:15 PM »
Do what they have to do to win, and I predict they do and thats not a spoiler, just logic :jam:

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »
They must win at all cost!  :yess: :hearts: :jumpy:

Offline sarahpalin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2008, 10:26:50 PM »
Whoa, Nick and Starr - what happened to you after you got in the cab??? Long time no see! Dang it all, I was shouting at the tele - Drill baby, Drill! Go Siblings Go! Did you really blow off Dan or is that editing???

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »
I have to assume that what we saw was indicative of the way Nick treated others doing that Roadblock. I was not impressed and this team has gone down a notch in my estimation. Trying to be sneaky may have its place, but it is not this early in the race because there will be retaliation from those affected negatively. Bad move, Nick, particularly because what you achieved was minimal. Is this team trying to be the new Rob/Amber?

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2008, 01:27:38 AM »
I love Nick and Starr, they remind me soooooooo much of Rob and Amber and you all know what a huge fan I am of theirs. Does anyone else think that Nick looks like Jim Carrey sometimes?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:31:18 AM by puddin »

Nuala

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2008, 04:55:51 AM »
I like Nick....but Starr is petty. I don't like petty people.

Offline Alan

• RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2008, 06:30:36 AM »
They came off quite badly in this episode, however we must remember they are still young. I can't help but think that because they were the youngest in the race, they were targeted by some in the heat of the competition.

Offline sarahpalin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2008, 07:03:38 AM »
I don't think they came off too badly - Nick redeemed himself by NOT uTurning Kelly and Christy, but I wonder now if they regret not doing the U Turn. The Geeks lost a prize last week for helping their competition at the Roadblock (Ken and Tina) and even in their post interview this week they wondered if they should have used the roadblock after all. Nice guys DO finish last, it seems. If Kelly and Christy had been u turned, the geeks might still be in the race - which to me is preferable over the divorcees who lament about missing sports bras. Maybe the divorcees will get a Nike endorsement, or a play boy centerfold - where did that sports bra go, honey!

Offline apskip

• TAR Detectives
  • RFF Frantic Poster
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 09:33:06 AM »
Nick and Starr made the correct decision to not U-Turn anyone. They saved their opportunity at a U-Turn until later in the race. That is the theory but in practice it doesn't really work that way because U-Turns have not had little influence on outcomes except for the Bombay U-turn in AR12. Nick and Starr were in the middle of the pack at the U-Turn and were not in any danger of being last.

I have to say that Nick and Starr are less impressive to me. Watching them in action totally undercuts their "we have an incredible amount of common sense" argument. They are hyper-competitive. However, Nick appears to want to be the second coming of Rob Mariano and that is a sure way to have all other teams gunning for you. Nick is nowhere close to as smooth as Rob was. Rob gave a "spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down" to other teams to get them to do what he wanted and even got them to sometimes believe that his ideas were their ideas. So, to paraphrase a political phrase, "Nick, you're no Boston Rob."

In spite of the above I still have Nick and Starr as my pick to win AR13.

Offline sarahpalin

• RFF Newbie
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2008, 07:42:53 AM »
Well this episode was fun! All the photos RFF had first seemed to be from this episode. Great competition between so many racers close together and joking around, etc. Loved when Nick hid the rock clue under his shirt. Great finish for all!

Offline Hooky

• The Oracle of AR
  • RFF Frantic Poster
  • "For old time's sake..."
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2008, 07:53:16 PM »
I really don't like this team either - but I feel that they are the winners of this season, and if that's the case, I will have to drown myself in a bucket.  :groan:

They are also acting as though they are the team that deserves to win above all the others, just because they are there. Someone needs to U-turn them at a good moment but I don't see that happening.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." - C.S. Lewis

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »
I think they are playing a great game and yeah its just that a game and they are playing it to the max :jam:

Offline georgiapeach

• Amazing Race Admin
  • RFF Administrator
  • I Live at RFF
  • TAR Detective
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 04:16:28 PM »
oopsie....

ONSTAGE & BACKSTAGE: Benefits with Friends
By Seth Rudetsky
17 Nov 2008

...I'm still doing my radio interviews every Wednesday, and I recently had Nick Spangler and Margaret Ann Florence, who play Matt and Luisa in The Fantasticks. When I used to be a sub pianist for the show, it was at the Sullivan Street Playhouse, but now the show has moved to the Snapple Theater. The only problem with the theatre is that it's on top of a restaurant that sometimes gets smoky and, around every two weeks, an incredibly loud fire alarm goes off inside the theatre during the show! Unfortunately, it's always during the "Soon It's Gonna Rain" scene, i.e., the most romantic and quietest section of the show. It happened the night I saw it, and I was alternatively loving the sweet scene being played onstage and trying to remember the correct order of verbs in "Stop, Drop and Roll."

Nick is currently on TV's "The Amazing Race" with his sister, and I asked him what filming it was like. He said that he didn't want the other contestants to know that he was an actor because he thought that they'd assume he was always putting on a façade, so he told people that he was going into his father's business as a funeral director. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to him, right after he told everybody, they went to an airport computer station and googled him, which led right to his acting website. For the rest of the trip, he kept up the façade that he was in the funeral business not knowing that they were keeping up the façade that they believed him. His version of not wanting to appear deceitful set him up to look ten times more deceitful. Excellent work!

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/123432.html/pg2
RFF's Golden Rule:

Offline puddin

• **puddinpiepork**
  • I Live at RFF
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2008, 04:27:28 PM »
oopsie....

Nick is currently on TV's "The Amazing Race" with his sister, and I asked him what filming it was like. He said that he didn't want the other contestants to know that he was an actor because he thought that they'd assume he was always putting on a façade, so he told people that he was going into his father's business as a funeral director. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to him, right after he told everybody, they went to an airport computer station and googled him, which led right to his acting website. For the rest of the trip, he kept up the façade that he was in the funeral business not knowing that they were keeping up the façade that they believed him. His version of not wanting to appear deceitful set him up to look ten times more deceitful. Excellent work!

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/123432.html/pg2

:funny: Too funny! WTG Nick!